PDA

View Full Version : "City Divided: South Side Pride, North Side Envy"

hsnterprize
10-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Tonight's CBS 2 10 o'clock newscast had an interesting story near the top of its show. After talking about World Series tickets being sold tomorrow, there was a story about the area immediately around that dump on Clark and Addison being virtually because a certain team was NOT playing in the fall classic. In short, Cubs fans were showing a "silent appreciation" of the Sox berth in the Series, but there was no outward signs of good wishes to the south siders.

As of the time I'm typing this, that story isn't on the CBS 2 website (http://www.cbs2chicago.com), but click the link and check the video section on the right side of the homepage; the story might be there after the newscast is off the air. Anchors Diann Burns and Antonio Mora, along with reporter Sylvia Gomez, introduce the story. And in case you're interested, Burns says she's a Sox fan, Mora says he "likes both teams", and Gomez, along with her co-worker and husband, Jon Duncanson, are Cubs fans.

Minnie Minoso is quoted in this piece, but I don't remember what he says right off the top of my head. But I think he says something to the like of Chicago coming together to celebrate this occasion. In a perfect world, I'd agree...but this ain't no perfect world. We've all said this before in one way or another...if it were the other way around, we'd be wearing the colors of whoever the Cubs were playing in the Series. Lord knows I was touting as much black, silver, and teal while the losers were choking away the pennant in '03.

Say what you will...I just thought I'd bring this up to let y'all know the local media is saying something we've known already...there is a divide in this city when it comes to baseball. The dividing line is Madison Street, and you don't root for both teams in this town.

antitwins13
10-18-2005, 01:06 AM
yeah, there are a few who will root for both clubs, but the city is divided. To be honest I would rather have Cub fans root against us. I don't want a bunch of drunk yuppies hopping on the bandwagon. It has to be embarrassing that their biggest fan Woo-Woo hopped on the bandwagon when the Sox started getting good.

elrod
10-18-2005, 01:21 AM
As I said in another thread, what Cub fans do is their business. I don't care. If they want to jump on our bandwagon, fine. If they want to root against us, fine. Right now they are either Chicagoans willing to root for the team that bears the city's name in the World Series, or they are just outsiders clinging to a team whose season is over. If they join us, great. I have no problem with that. But if they don't, they're as irrelevant as bitter Indian fans.

Dan H
10-18-2005, 06:57 AM
I won't be one to knock Cub fans for rooting against the Sox. We gloated over the Cubs defeat in '03, so I am not going to throw stones. What I don't like is the phoniness of Cubs fans. In an guest opinion piece in the Tribune, Brian Hiatt tries to peddle the old line that the Cub fans didn't even notice the Sox playoff losses in '83, '93, and 2000. All my life, Cub fans have celebrated Sox defeats. Stop trying to give us this nonsense that you root for the Sox or don't dread success on the South Side. Stop this drivel about not even noticing anything the Sox do. A little honesty always helps, even if it is honesty dripping with hostility.

woodenleg
10-18-2005, 07:52 AM
I have neighbors who are Cub fans, I have family who are Cub fans....what are they supposed to do, not speak to me?

elrod
10-18-2005, 08:11 AM
What are Cub fans going to do, really? I mean, we have ALREADY done something that they haven't been able to do since 1945. There were two droughts in Chicago, the pennant and the Series. Most of us here weren't even born yet for either of the last two pennants in Chicago. If we get swept in four games, we've still done something the Cubs haven't done. So if you're a Cub fan and you're worried about hearing from your Sox fan friends, well, you are already going to hear it. A flop in the World Series is nothing like a flop in the LCS. If you're a Cub fan and you just hate the Sox then root for your NL Central arch-rival Astros or Cardinals. Fine. But don't do it because you dread the ribbing you'll get next year. That ship has sailed.

TDog
10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
... A flop in the World Series is nothing like a flop in the LCS. ...

Getting to the World Series is an achievement in itself that people who come to baseball from other sports don't understand. Other sports have playoffs that culminate in a title game between teams in the same league. Getting there is tougher than getting to the Super Bowl, and if your team gets to the Super Bowl, the game won't even come to your city. Even the Super Bowl, as big as that has become, the game is just the end of the playoffs. For most of its history, the World Series was the result of being the best team in your league over six months. Even when baseball layered a playoff structure into its postseason, it limited the teams that would fight for a place in the World Series.

Getting to the World Series is huge.

Still, it is odd that when the Cubs seemed to be headed to the World Series in 2003 (like, there's no way they could blow a 3-1 lead with that pitching staff, could they?), Chicago wasn't depicted as a divided city.

hsnterprize
10-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Still, it is odd that when the Cubs seemed to be headed to the World Series in 2003 (like, there's no way they could blow a 3-1 lead with that pitching staff, could they?), Chicago wasn't depicted as a divided city.You're right about that one. I remember hearing CONSTANTLY about how "all of Chicago was rooting for the Cubs", and it wasn't until their loss that people finally started to acknowledge the Sox fans who weren't on the bandwagon. In fact, I don't remember how many e-mails I sent to stations talking about how everyone was NOT rooting for the Cubs as they've been saying. At the end, Miss "I'll go to New York if an opportunity comes to my door" Stacia Dubin said on the morning Channel 2 news that in spite of the heartbreak many Chicagoans felt after the loss, Sox fans weren't upset about it. Me personally...I was happier than a clam, and I will NOT apologize for it.

In fairness, the first TV station I saw that did a piece on Sox fans' reaction to the Cubs 2003 run was WGN. Julian Crews did a story from Bridgeport and Beverly about that, and I thought it was pretty good. There was some schlep walking into a bar on Western with a Cub cap and jacket saying, "If it's a Chicago team, then we should support them." Needless to say, when he walked into the bar with that outfit on, he was roundly booed.

Let's face it...in a perfect world, this time of the year would be "All Sox, all the time." And in some respects, that's how it's been. The Sox have been leading off newscasts, and significant time is being devoted to Sox-related stories, from World Series ticket sales, to long-time fans, to neighborhoods being decorated in Sox colors. And let's be honest...that's how we like it. We were upset about how the media was treating the Cubs in '03, but I've noticed the stations doing pretty much the same thing for our team, so I think that's fair. I think we also need to face up to the fact that as long as there are Cub fans, whether in the press or not, there will ALWAYS be something going on related to that team that will somehow get on the news. However, the Cub popularity is starting to wane in my opinion. They can have all the P.R. status they want to because when it's all said and done, it's these World Series games that will make all the difference. Ivy-covered walls, a manual scoreboard, a trendy bar scene, and all the other parts of the "Wrigley Field Experience" mean nothing now...and they will all mean a whole lot less when the Commissioner's Trophy is raised high on the South Side.

credefan24
10-18-2005, 08:02 PM
How come all of the media outlets are doing stories on the Cubs and the other side of the city? Who really cares?
This is the Sox time to shine, and they should receive 100% of the spotlight, nothing should be given to the Triple AAA team on the Northside. I just don't get it.
At least we have WSI where Sox fans can get together!

dickallen15
10-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Who cares what Cub fans think? The Sox are in the World Series

soxwon
10-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Ron Magers on Roe Conn today said, he thinks ALL cub fans will root for the SOX,Against SL.
Because Cub Fans despise the Cards, to no end.

He is wrong i know quite a few Cub fans who will rather root for SL, because they hate the sox.

jortafan
10-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Ron Magers on Roe Conn today said, he thinks ALL cub fans will root for the SOX,Against SL.
Because Cub Fans despise the Cards, to no end.

He is wrong i know quite a few Cub fans who will rather root for SL, because they hate the sox.

Actually, I've been wondering about that. I can't help but think a Chicago/St. Louis World Series would create a split among Cubdom's fans.

I could easily see Chicago-area Cubs fans rooting for the Cardinals, claiming some sort of National League solidarity. The thought of the White Sox fans in their face in all their gloating glory would be too much for them.

But when it comes to the Cubs fans of rural Illinois and the midwest (who are the reason the Cubs are considered a regional franchise of significance), I believe many of them will back the Sox over the Cardinals.

After all, in downstate the baseball split is Cardinals/Cubs, with theWhite Sox as an afterthought. I think many of those Cubs fans would rather not have to put up with a Cardinals victory, which would result in much gloating at their expense. A White Sox victory would not create as much anguish for them.

As far as I'm concerned, there is one thing about all this that amuses me. I don't really care what Cubs fans think, but the notion that our team has probably driven some of them into psychiatric therapy to help them cope with the fact that they root for the garbage team of Chicago gives me a chuckle.

SoxFan76
10-19-2005, 10:11 AM
From what I've seen/heard, most Cub fans will root for the Cardinals over the Sox. Why....I don't know. That's why they're Cub fans.

RichFitztightly
10-19-2005, 10:56 PM
I won't be one to knock Cub fans for rooting against the Sox. We gloated over the Cubs defeat in '03, so I am not going to throw stones. What I don't like is the phoniness of Cubs fans. In an guest opinion piece in the Tribune, Brian Hiatt tries to peddle the old line that the Cub fans didn't even notice the Sox playoff losses in '83, '93, and 2000. All my life, Cub fans have celebrated Sox defeats. Stop trying to give us this nonsense that you root for the Sox or don't dread success on the South Side. Stop this drivel about not even noticing anything the Sox do. A little honesty always helps, even if it is honesty dripping with hostility.

I wholeheartedly agree that Cub fans don't care what happens on the Southside. I make that statement because most Cub fans don't even know what happens to their own team... let alone another team. Cub fans aren't fans of baseball, they're fans of being retarded.

chuckn98229
10-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Cub fans aren't fans of baseball, they're fans of being retarded.

Although this is not the most politically correct statement I have ever seen, it certainly is the most concisely accurate description of a cub fan!