PDA

View Full Version : Parade / Pep Rally ????

Frank the Tank
10-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know if the city is planning anything to celebrate the AL Pennant before the World Series? After 45+ years without a Chicago World Series, it seems something is in order.

rwcescato
10-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know if the city is planning anything to celebrate the AL Pennant before the World Series? After 45+ years without a Chicago World Series, it seems something is in order.

In one of the papers this morning they said all the Sox brass decided to take a pass on a rally or parade. They thought the parade should only go for the ultimate prize. I totally agree. This has been a special day but we need to win it all. It might be a long time before we get another chance. But I sure hope not.
GO SOX!!
Rich

halfpricemonday
10-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Why litter up the streets of Chicago with ticker tape? They're just going to get messed up again in a week. :smile:

(No deep pink. We're winning this thing.)

Frank the Tank
10-17-2005, 11:05 PM
I like our chances, but St.Louis and Houston are not push-overs. The city of Chicago and White Sox fans have been waiting a long time for this and I think the World Series should be hyped as much as possible.

SOecks
10-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Although it would be nice I'm glad they aren't having anything. I like the phrase "Act like you've been there before" and this team exemplifies that statement. They want to celebrate when they win it all and so do I. No need to shoot our loads off early. Lets be greedy, we deserve it.

Frank the Tank
10-18-2005, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=SOecks]Although it would be nice I'm glad they aren't having anything. I like the phrase "Act like you've been there before" and this team exemplifies that statement. QUOTE]

Are you kidding? Let's be honest...We haven't been to a WS since 1959 and haven't won one since 1917. I could see the Yankees or Notre Dame football taking that approach. On my 8 block walk downtown to the office.... I didn't see any White Sox banners, signs, etc.... Maybe I was expecting more. I think White Sox management blew a huge opportunity to get this city really excited about the Sox.

daveeym
10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Parade is obviously overkill. I'm surprised they're not doing anything like before the ALCS though.

oeo
10-18-2005, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=SOecks]Although it would be nice I'm glad they aren't having anything. I like the phrase "Act like you've been there before" and this team exemplifies that statement. QUOTE]

Are you kidding? Let's be honest...We haven't been to a WS since 1959 and haven't won one since 1917. I could see the Yankees or Notre Dame football taking that approach. On my 8 block walk downtown to the office.... I didn't see any White Sox banners, signs, etc.... Maybe I was expecting more. I think White Sox management blew a huge opportunity to get this city really excited about the Sox.

The city isn't really excited? Give me a break, I don't think a parade is going to change anything, the city is excited. First World Series in 46 years will get you really excited alone.

Besides, these guys don't feel like they've accomplished their ultimate goal yet. They don't want just an AL Pennant, they want it all; just like we do. Why celebrate when you're not done yet? And it will make for an even sweeter celebration if they win this thing.

Frank the Tank
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=Frank the Tank]

The city isn't really excited? Give me a break, I don't think a parade is going to change anything, the city is excited. First World Series in 46 years will get you really excited alone.

I disagree. I used to always dream of what would happen in this city if the White Sox or Cubs went to the World Series. I envisioned the city going crazy like it did with the '85 Bears. We can't take anything for granted....we could lose afterall. Right now is a perfect opportunity to create a buzz and boost a fan base. I'm not saying there has to be a parade, but there should be something. Maybe marketing reps handing out signs and posters, rally towels, pennants, flags, etc.. I really don't think the city is as excited as it should be. Read Carol Slezak's article in the suntimes...it kind of touches my point.

mrwag
10-18-2005, 09:52 AM
I like our chances, but St.Louis and Houston are not push-overs.
Neither were Boston or the Angels. We beat a West coast team, on the road even!

oeo
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=oeo]

I disagree. I used to always dream of what would happen in this city if the White Sox or Cubs went to the World Series. I envisioned the city going crazy like it did with the '85 Bears. We can't take anything for granted....we could lose afterall. Right now is a perfect opportunity to create a buzz and boost a fan base. I'm not saying there has to be a parade, but there should be something. Maybe marketing reps handing out signs and posters, rally towels, pennants, flags, etc.. I really don't think the city is as excited as it should be. Read Carol Slezak's article in the suntimes...it kind of touches my point.

The World Series isn't even here yet...just wait until the weekend. I'm sure it will be madness. There's more than just GETTING to the World Series, and you don't want to take away the mindset of the players right now because they have still not accomplished their ultimate goal.