PDA

View Full Version : A Salute to the great fans of WSI.

Jurr
10-17-2005, 08:05 PM
WSIers:

From the day I looked online and found the WSI website, I've always enjoyed talking about every aspect of Sox baseball with the greatest fan base ever created. We've always joked that being a Sox fan is a genetic disorder passed down from birth, and many times we've thrown our hands up and wondered, "Why us?" when things went wrong.

We've been online together talking about our favorite moments as a Sox fan, our favorite players, and what we'd do "IF OUR BOYS PULLED OFF THE BIG ONE."
We may be finding out what that is like. Cue the tears.

The big win last night didn't sink in at all until this evening, one day later, and the first thing I thought about was the passion that the collective group of WSI shows towards the Sox, and the strength of the bond that we share.

We've been here through the ups and downs. The signing of Everett and Alomar (and a Twins sweep) only to be followed by the Billy Koch meltdown against the D-Rays. We've been there for the announcements of signings of Bartolo Colon (which guaranteed our championship), Billy Koch (ugghhh), and less celebrated guys like Tadahito Iguchi and Dustin Hermanson (wow.)
We've been there to gripe with each other when the Twins wiped up the floor with our guys year in and year out, and we've always found a way to cope by listening to the humor of many of the people on this site. We've even had our share of guys that "were in an airport listening to KW close a deal for Matt Clement and Randy Johnson".

I have loved being a member of this site. I love your energy, your spirit, and I hope to see many of you in Chicago to toast to a White Sox Championship.

Remember, folks. This isn't done yet.
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: 4 more.

cheeses_h_rice
10-17-2005, 08:44 PM
I remember being privy to vague details about a blockbuster offseason trade that was going to change the face of the franchise forever, a few years ago.

It never came through.

:redface:

Madvora
10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Remember, folks. This isn't done yet.
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: 4 more.
I'm ready for the Sox to knock down those last four bananas one by one.

Jurr
10-17-2005, 09:17 PM
I remember being privy to vague details about a blockbuster offseason trade that was going to change the face of the franchise forever, a few years ago.

It never came through.

Cheeses...I'm absolutely going to be busting my ass to get Sox tickets tomorrow. I've got a grand ready to drop on two tickets. Hopefully I get something. If not, I'm going to Puffer's. Are you going to the games? If you aren't going, I'd love to see you and some of the other WSIers at the watering hole.
Hope to meet you guys after the game, regardless.

cheeses_h_rice
10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Cheeses...I'm absolutely going to be busting my ass to get Sox tickets tomorrow. I've got a grand ready to drop on two tickets. Hopefully I get something. If not, I'm going to Puffer's. Are you going to the games? If you aren't going, I'd love to see you and some of the other WSIers at the watering hole.
Hope to meet you guys after the game, regardless.

I'm going to try v. hard to get tickets to at least Games 1 and 2, either when they go on sale or through intermediary scum. If the Series comes back to Chicago and I can't afford the current market rates for Games 6 & 7, I might very well be back at Puffer's.

MarySwiss
10-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I'll drink to that! (Well, I'll drink to almost anything!) :gulp:

But I am so glad I found this site! It's a terrific community, and I am proud to be a part of it. And if any of you find yourselves in Arizona for Spring training, please sing out!
But, I digress. First, we have a World Series to win! :cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
10-17-2005, 09:49 PM
this place dose rock.

WinOrDyeTrying
10-17-2005, 09:57 PM
:threadrules:

The only regret I have is that I didn't give up posted in 2001. I lurked from then until June of this year, I believe. You guys are true Sox fans, and I have learned much from all of you.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-17-2005, 10:02 PM
this place does rock.

fixed it

DrCrawdad
10-17-2005, 10:51 PM

It never came through.

Cheeses, This may have been mentioned before but is that you on the cover of the Sun-Times holding a camera at Puffers?

cheeses_h_rice
10-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Cheeses, This may have been mentioned before but is that you on the cover of the Sun-Times holding a camera at Puffers?

Yes it is. There are several WSI posters in that shot, as discussed here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60166).

credefan24
10-17-2005, 10:58 PM
I found out about this site in July. I have loved being a part of this community, being able to talk to knowledgable Sox fans, instead of bickering with north side fans, as the case on other sites. Everyone here has a passion for this team, and it has made the season that much more enjoyable.
Thank you to everyone who maintains and moderates this site. I know I am grateful.

Now, lets keep up the positive energy, and lets go sox!!!

DrCrawdad
10-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Yes it is. There are several WSI posters in that shot, as discussed here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60166).

I picked up the Sun-Times at work this morning, and I thought that was you.

Thanks for the link, I missed that discussion. Darn work!
:gulp:

billyo
10-18-2005, 02:41 AM
Hi to all smiling WSI'ers

I never post (only once in reply to a Hangar thread about faraway Sox fans) but I've been a compulsive reader of WSI since the year it began. I don't have time to post - I'm too busy reading whatever new stuff on the Sox I can find. But today I figure I had to. I've been a Sox fan from thousands of miles away since the early 1960s. After the first game I played (cricket and rugby were the ruling sports in Aus then) I found a baseball magazine in the store where I had my paper route as a schoolboy. My connection with the game led me around the world in the late 90's as the Exec. Officer of the Aus Olympic team. One of the undoubted highlights was throwing out the first pitch at Comiskey in 1997 prior to a Yankees game. You'll remember it well. Tino f****ng Martinez homered off Alvarez and we lost 10-7. The WFT happened a week or so later and I cried for a week.

Yesterday all that was washed away. The joys and frustrations of more than 40 years trawling for morsels of information about my team in a country where other sports rule were all forgotten when Konerko squeezed that ground ball and stood on first. I'm not sure whether it was me in my ecstasy or my ulcer in its relief that let out the amazing scream of joy. I just hope the memories of Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister, Burns, McDowell, Fernadez, Alvarez and Bere aren't overlooked when we hold up that WS trophy next week. I'm not one of those who are thinking, "I'm just happy we made it to the big stage. Whatever happens now will be OK win or lose." No goddam fear! I want the big prize. Sox fans have waited long enough and this is just the group of winners who can give them the rewards their loyalty deserves.

One last thing. Give big Frank the ball AGAIN to throw out in game one. He's the best of our best. They should start work on designing his statue right away.

Thanks for your passion and humour, You'll never appreciate what WSI does for a fanatic from across the ocean!

Bill.

Baby Fisk
10-18-2005, 09:21 AM

It never came through.

Haha, that was one of my first days here. I remember seeing the thread and thinking "Whoa, sounds like this Cheeses guy is a huge insider." :cool:

Sox fans, these next two weeks will be the greatest ever. Lap it up, soak it in... just don't strap it on! :o:

Sox&Springsteen
10-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi to all smiling WSI'ers

I don't have time to post - I'm too busy reading whatever new stuff on the Sox I can find. But today I figure I had to. I've been a Sox fan from thousands of miles away since the early 1960s. After the first game I played (cricket and rugby were the ruling sports in Aus then) I found a baseball magazine in the store where I had my paper route as a schoolboy. My connection with the game led me around the world in the late 90's as the Exec. Officer of the Aus Olympic team. One of the undoubted highlights was throwing out the first pitch at Comiskey in 1997 prior to a Yankees game. You'll remember it well. Tino f****ng Martinez homered off Alvarez and we lost 10-7. The WFT happened a week or so later and I cried for a week.

Yesterday all that was washed away. The joys and frustrations of more than 40 years trawling for morsels of information about my team in a country where other sports rule were all forgotten when Konerko squeezed that ground ball and stood on first.
Bill.

WOW!!! I'm as fascinated as I am speechless!!

That's about the most inspiring stories about White Sox loyalty I've ever heard. Billy, I hope you will share more on this board during the series. It's fans like you that make me so proud to be a White Sox fan.

Thank you for such a beautiful post.

Cheers from Dublin :gulp:

Layla
10-18-2005, 04:03 PM
You know, I work odd hours but when I have a free minute or two I love coming here and reading the different posts.

This has got to be the best message board I have ever seen. And I mean that with all sincerity.

The posts are funny and intelligent, the mods are great without being overbearing.

Let's Go Sox!!!!!!!

LuvSox
10-19-2005, 01:02 AM
I was off work for six months following a surgery about three years ago. I was on this site all the time, I mean constantly. This site (and the hardcore drinking :D:) kept my sanity somewhat in check. WSI does rock!