PDA

View Full Version : Open Up the Cell for Road games

DannyCaterFan
10-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I am lucky enough to have tickets for the first game of the World Series. I'd also like the opportunity to attend a screening of one of the road games next week at U.S. Cellular. I know there was talk of opening up the ballpark for fans to watch on the Jumbotron. I watched last night's game at a bar with about 100 other screaming fans. It would be great to cheer the Sox on with thousands of fans. Anyone heard anything? has Brooks said anything about it?

slobes
10-17-2005, 07:13 PM
I think someone had a thread about this a little while ago. As cool as that would be, the White Sox would probably lose money from it, seeing as how they would still hafta pay for all the workers and stuff, and they definitely wouldn't pack the stadium. So I think it would be really cool for the people that actually went, but they probably will not do it.

downstairs
10-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Hmmmm... I can't believe they wouldn't at least break even... and then the positive PR would take it over the top.

Many other teams have done this, haven't they?

I really hope they do... I'd be very into it.

That or get the United Center or Allstate Arena to do it?

robertks61
10-17-2005, 07:35 PM
The U.C. did it for some Bulls Championship games. At least open the Bull Pen Sports Bar!

PatK
10-17-2005, 07:39 PM
I would think they could do it if they only opened the main floor.

FedEx227
10-17-2005, 08:29 PM
I'd prefer to go to Allstate or the UC. Wouldn't have to have as many workers, and it would be easier to control AND louder indoors. Other cities have been able to do it because of non-conflicting schedules, unfortuanetly Chicago has a lot of sporting events going on...

but I'd love for it to be at Allstate, someone wanna drop Brooks an e-mail?

bayzbol44
10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
I would love if they would do this!!!!

bigsqwert
10-17-2005, 08:56 PM
They should open up the lower deck and bullpen bar only if they're worried about filling the place. I know I'd go.

rocky biddle
10-17-2005, 11:47 PM
I think the main obstacle to this ever happening is that the White Sox don't own US Cellular Field. They rent it from the state of Illinois. So that, coupled with all the other expenses, means it's probably never gonna happen. It would be really cool though.

Sargeant79
10-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Here's an idea for Brooks that may have been floated already, but here goes once more...

I understand the costs to open up the Cell for road games would be prohibitive, particularly on short notice. So how about this: Get a big screen and set it up in one of the parking lots similar to how the city and a few local colleges sometimes screen movies in city parks. The only cost would be providing for security and sanitation, which could be covered if you barricade off the lot and charge a nominal fee, say $3-5, for admission. If you want, set up a few random concessions at ballpark prices...it would involve additional staff but the profit margin might make it worth it. Most of us will not be able to afford world series tickets, and it would be great to be able to watch the road games with hundreds of other true fans. The bars are all fine and well but there is no substitute for the excitement of a crowd that size, not to mention the fact that it would be a viewing option for many underage fans. I know that regardless of the weather, I would certainly come out to be amongst my die hard Sox fan brethren. I'm also willing to bet there are probably a couple thousand other people who would agree with me.

BRDSR
10-18-2005, 01:27 AM
I'd prefer to go to Allstate or the UC. Wouldn't have to have as many workers, and it would be easier to control AND louder indoors. Other cities have been able to do it because of non-conflicting schedules, unfortuanetly Chicago has a lot of sporting events going on...

but I'd love for it to be at Allstate, someone wanna drop Brooks an e-mail?

Ooh, I would much rather be at USC. That would be a blast. For what its worth, when the Illini went to the championship they opened Assembly Hall(probably seats 20-22,000 people) and filled it at least 4/5ths to capacity. I would imagine that a lot of people unable to see a World Series game would jump at the chance just to be inside the stadium with a ton of other Sox fans during the World Series.

DumpJerry
10-18-2005, 01:47 AM
I've heard that the Brew and View at The Vic Theater on Sheffield is showing the games live for free. They did this during one of the Bulls' first title runs and it was pretty cool.

Banix12
10-18-2005, 03:06 AM
I don't know if I would really want to watch a game in a stadium where nothing is happening on the actual field.

If they did open up parts of the stadium to watch the game. I'd probably open up the sports bar, maybe half of the lower deck, but really the best area to hold a get together would be the Club level where not only do you get a pretty good view of the Jumbotron, albeit with limited seating, but they also have big screens all over the Club level concourse with a fully stocked bar.

I just think watching a baseball game at the Cell is a lot different than watching a baseketball game at the UC. Who knows what the weather is going to exactly be next week.

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
You don't want the Cell looking like the Superdome........keep it closed!

CHEESESOXER
10-18-2005, 12:57 PM
I am lucky enough to have tickets for the first game of the World Series. I'd also like the opportunity to attend a screening of one of the road games next week at U.S. Cellular. I know there was talk of opening up the ballpark for fans to watch on the Jumbotron. I watched last night's game at a bar with about 100 other screaming fans. It would be great to cheer the Sox on with thousands of fans. Anyone heard anything? has Brooks said anything about it?

This gave me a great thought.

Can you see the flub fans sitting there in their park if they EVER for into the WS and watching the manual scoreboard?:D: :D:

34 Inch Stick
10-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Here's an idea for Brooks that may have been floated already, but here goes once more...

I understand the costs to open up the Cell for road games would be prohibitive, particularly on short notice. So how about this: Get a big screen and set it up in one of the parking lots similar to how the city and a few local colleges sometimes screen movies in city parks. The only cost would be providing for security and sanitation, which could be covered if you barricade off the lot and charge a nominal fee, say $3-5, for admission. If you want, set up a few random concessions at ballpark prices...it would involve additional staff but the profit margin might make it worth it. Most of us will not be able to afford world series tickets, and it would be great to be able to watch the road games with hundreds of other true fans. The bars are all fine and well but there is no substitute for the excitement of a crowd that size, not to mention the fact that it would be a viewing option for many underage fans. I know that regardless of the weather, I would certainly come out to be amongst my die hard Sox fan brethren. I'm also willing to bet there are probably a couple thousand other people who would agree with me.

If the Sox won't do it let the city set up a big screen in Armour Park. I bet you'd get places if you floated this by the Mayor's Office of Special Events. They could invite the polka band that sings "Let's Go Go Go White Sox" to play between innings. That could be a real Soxtoberfest.

house215
10-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of this but I think it would be a great idea of they let us watch the Sox away games at the Cell. What do you guys think?

ElDuque26
10-18-2005, 11:38 PM
this has been brought up numerous times in other threads...would be siiick tho

HotelWhiteSox
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
:hijacked:

I think we should get a WSI suite for one of the games (have no clue if they're still available), since TM screwed a majority of us. I haven't researched it, but I bet the cost divided per person is cheaper than what scalpers want!

dllrbll7
10-18-2005, 11:45 PM
:hijacked:

I think we should get a WSI suite for one of the games (have no clue if they're still available), since TM screwed a majority of us. I haven't researched it, but I bet the cost divided per person is cheaper than what scalpers want!

Suites are all gone...checked already

CJLove23
10-19-2005, 01:13 AM
That would be awesome!!! To watch it on the big screen, cool

sageofthesox
10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Will the Cell will be open for games 3-4-5 in Houston? Oftentimes teams will open up their home stadiums during a championship series and show the road games on the big screen.

This would be a great atmosphere for many of us and our families who were unable to score World Series tickets!

Perhaps something has been announced and I've missed it. Has anyone either heard and read about any plans of this nature?

Chez
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Brooks Boyer was just on ESPN 1000 and announced that the Cell will NOT be open for the road games. He implied that something else is in the works and will be announced shortly (maybe Millennium Park?)