PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts -- Canadian Edition

Baby Fisk
10-17-2005, 04:52 PM
It was the morning of 11 October, the last day of my vacation in Chicago. I was strolling down Wabash headed to get some breakfast. I paused at a red light and noticed a large man approaching from the cross street, clad in a disco blue Cubbie T-Shirt and matching Cubbie cap. I rolled my eyes inwardly and prepared for a possible confrontation in grand Hangar style. After all, here was this blinkered, gullible moron out and about in his Cubbie finest, while I strutted Wabash head to toe in black with a black Sox hat on.

He drew near. I sneered in anticipation.

He noticed me. We made eye contact.

He veered from his path and approached. I braced myself for the ultimate showdown.

"Go Sox," he said. I froze and stared stupidly.

"You guys go out and beat Anaheim," he said.

"Uh.... yeah...." was all I could utter.

"You gotta win one for Chicago. It's been too long."

"Uh.... yeah...." I was stunned.

He nodded at me. I extended my hand. He took it and squeezed hard. I think I blacked out. Fortunately I didn't wander into traffic. The rest of the morning I had that crazy song from the XM Radio commercial in my head...

"Why can't WEEEEE be friends, Why can't WEEEEEEE be friends...." :redface:

RKMeibalane
10-17-2005, 08:42 PM
It was the morning of 11 October, the last day of my vacation in Chicago. I was strolling down Wabash headed to get some breakfast. I paused at a red light and noticed a large man approaching from the cross street, clad in a disco blue Cubbie T-Shirt and matching Cubbie cap. I rolled my eyes inwardly and prepared for a possible confrontation in grand Hangar style. After all, here was this blinkered, gullible moron out and about in his Cubbie finest, while I strutted Wabash head to toe in black with a black Sox hat on.

He drew near. I sneered in anticipation.

He noticed me. We made eye contact.

He veered from his path and approached. I braced myself for the ultimate showdown.

"Go Sox," he said. I froze and stared stupidly.

"You guys go out and beat Anaheim," he said.

"Uh.... yeah...." was all I could utter.

"You gotta win one for Chicago. It's been too long."

"Uh.... yeah...." I was stunned.

He nodded at me. I extended my hand. He took it and squeezed hard. I think I blacked out. Fortunately I didn't wander into traffic. The rest of the morning I had that crazy song from the XM Radio commercial in my head...

"Why can't WEEEEE be friends, Why can't WEEEEEEE be friends...." :redface:

That had to to have been a strange experience. It's interesting that there are people who claim to be Cubs fans who are supporting the Sox right now.

By the way, the shuttlecraft will once again be flying over the 'Cell on Satruday night.

SOXintheBURGH
10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
I hope it was this guy:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg

LongLiveFisk
10-17-2005, 09:45 PM
That had to to have been a strange experience. It's interesting that there are people who claim to be Cubs fans who are supporting the Sox right now.

By the way, the shuttlecraft will once again be flying over the 'Cell on Satruday night.

It seems that Cub fans are more likely to support the Sox than vice-versa, so I'm not totally surprised. We Sox fans can't help it...we're a tough crowd! :redneck

antitwins13
10-17-2005, 09:56 PM
It seems that Cub fans are more likely to support the Sox than vice-versa, so I'm not totally surprised. We Sox fans can't help it...we're a tough crowd! :redneck

I know in 2003 I wore black and teal every day that October week.

Nellie_Fox
10-17-2005, 11:26 PM
It seems that Cub fans are more likely to support the Sox than vice-versa, so I'm not totally surprised. We Sox fans can't help it...we're a tough crowd! :redneckCub fans haven't spent the last 35 years having everything White Sox shoved down their throats on a daily basis.

Chips
10-17-2005, 11:33 PM

The hell with the Cubs, I'll only root them when they are playing an AL team that can have an impact on our postseason. Other than that, who cares about them?

Nellie_Fox
10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
The hell with the Cubs, I'll only root them when they are playing an AL team that can have an impact on our postseason. I can't even do it then.

Chips
10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I can't even do it then.

For us to win the Central, we need the Flubs to beat Cleveland, and you're going to root for the Cubs?

Even though its unlikely because Interleague games are played early in the season, I still want them teams to lose. However, if the Flubs play one of these in the series (not going to happen), I'll root for the AL, but not when it has an impact on our season. I like the Sox a lot more than I hate the Cubs. The cubs are like the Rockies or the Reds, another crappy junior circuit team.

elrod
10-18-2005, 01:23 AM
I haven't met a single Cub fan yet who is rooting against the Sox. And I live in Cub-centric Evanston.

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Cub fans haven't spent the last 35 years having everything White Sox shoved down their throats on a daily basis.

Very true. But hopefully this whole season will make up for that. :wink:

ja1022
10-18-2005, 03:00 PM
I can honestly say I can't remember ever rooting for a Cub's victory. I remember my sister in law getting very upset with me in '84 for wearing an authentic MLB Padres jersey and laughing my ass off as that grounder rolled right between Leon Durham's legs on a sunny Sunday afternoon. If the Cub fan was sincere in his best wishes to Baby Fisk, more power to him. And good for him for keeping his Cub stuff on. We'll take your sincere best wishes but stay the hell off our bandwagon.

Palehose13
10-18-2005, 05:35 PM
I haven't met a single Cub fan yet who is rooting against the Sox. And I live in Cub-centric Evanston.

I know quite a few (cub fans rooting against the Sox)...all here in Milwaukee. I've told them that I don't want their support, so it doesn't matter to me.

jackbrohamer
10-18-2005, 06:15 PM
I know quite a few (cub fans rooting against the Sox)...all here in Milwaukee. I've told them that I don't want their support, so it doesn't matter to me.

Two young-ish bartenders at a place on Rush Street told me they decided that if the Cardinals play the White Sox in the World Series, that they will hope for a natural disaster. I reminded them that Scrub fans don't care about the White Sox.