PDA

View Full Version : The most challenging job in America...........

DumpJerry
10-17-2005, 05:46 PM
.........is being the Director of Marketing for the Chicago National League Baseball Franchise as of 10:00 p.m., Sunday October 16, 2005. After all, if Ronnie Woo Woo is wearing the black and white (to our chagrin:angry: ), who is left up there?:D:

SOXPHILE
10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
We've all been joking around about this all year long. If it came to pass that the White Sox should get to (and win) the World Series, both the Trib, and Cubs marketing would be doing stuff like "2004 Red Sox, they broke the 'curse', 2005 White Sox, 'broke the curse', so in 2006, it's OUR turn ! Get your Cubs 2006 season tickets today, and you get a chance to come out and watch the Cubs break the curse of the billy goat, and bring home a World Series title." We all know they're going to do something along those "It's Our Turn Now !" lines. Heh heh heh....stupid Cub fans....

Ol' No. 2
10-17-2005, 05:58 PM
We've all been joking around about this all year long. If it came to pass that the White Sox should get to (and win) the World Series, both the Trib, and Cubs marketing would be doing stuff like "2004 Red Sox, they broke the 'curse', 2005 White Sox, 'broke the curse', so in 2006, it's OUR turn ! Get your Cubs 2006 season tickets today, and you get a chance to come out and watch the Cubs break the curse of the billy goat, and bring home a World Series title." We all know they're going to do something along those "It's Our Turn Now !" lines. Heh heh heh....stupid Cub fans....And you know what's really sad? It will work.

soxfan26
10-17-2005, 06:58 PM
And you know what's really sad? It will work.

Took the words from my mouth. I hope every Sox fan can enjoy the next week for what it is - A White Sox World Series. Win or loose those who believe it is going to change things in Chicago are up for dissapointment.

fquaye149
10-17-2005, 09:12 PM
What I think would be hilarious is if we won this year (although not quite a pipe dream, I didn't want to jinx it), and the Cubune played the "our turn next angle " and instead the Jndjans won it. Then the next year the Mariners won it. Then The Astros. Then the Brewers. And one by one every other team with a long time drought won it leaving the Cubs always hypothesizing it was their turn.

That would be some funny stuff.

Or if we just continued winning championship after championship until the Cubs were just an afterthought:cool:

chitownhawkfan
10-17-2005, 09:29 PM
I actually think being in charge of marketing for the Scrubs would be easy, just come up with some silly crap about it being our year, and the Lemmings will lap it up per usual.

greenpeach
10-17-2005, 10:06 PM
We've all been joking around about this all year long. If it came to pass that the White Sox should get to (and win) the World Series, both the Trib, and Cubs marketing would be doing stuff like "2004 Red Sox, they broke the 'curse', 2005 White Sox, 'broke the curse', so in 2006, it's OUR turn ! Get your Cubs 2006 season tickets today, and you get a chance to come out and watch the Cubs break the curse of the billy goat, and bring home a World Series title." We all know they're going to do something along those "It's Our Turn Now !" lines. Heh heh heh....stupid Cub fans....

That would be a pipedream more than a marketing slogan. The NL Central may be the toughest division in baseball next year & the Northsiders are going to have to completely rebuild the pitching staff. If Prior goes down...again, who the hell are you going to rely on ?? Maddux ???

SoxSpeed22
10-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Or if we just continued winning championship after championship until the Cubs were just an afterthought:cool: Fine by me.

LongLiveFisk
10-17-2005, 10:30 PM
That would be a pipedream more than a marketing slogan. The NL Central may be the toughest division in baseball next year & the Northsiders are going to have to completely rebuild the pitching staff. If Prior goes down...again, who the hell are you going to rely on ?? Maddux ???

Far be it for me to really even care about the Northsiders, but you have to wonder if their best opportunity ('03) has already passed them by. Prior and Wood are injury prone, Maddux's best days are certainly behind him, and only Zambrano can they really rely on.

But really, who cares? GO WHITE SOX!! :D: :cool:

TornLabrum
10-17-2005, 11:24 PM

Hell, no! Kerry Wood will be back stronger than ever!

Hitmen77
10-17-2005, 11:28 PM
The most challenging job in America.........is being the Director of Marketing for the Chicago National League Baseball Franchise as of 10:00 p.m., Sunday October 16, 2005. After all, if Ronnie Woo Woo is wearing the black and white (to our chagrin:angry: ), who is left up there?:D:

Are you kidding? It's still one of the easiest jobs in America. Since when to people who go to Cub games care about winning or care about baseball? People are just there because Wrigley Field is a trendy tourist attraction. The Trib did a genius job in selling Wrigley as a shrine to the general public. Once that was done, there marketing has been on autopilot as baseball-ignorant lemmings just stream in.

Does the Sox winning the pennant hurt them? Winning is not an issue for the "lovable losers". They have been marketing themselves as losers since 1969.

halfpricemonday
10-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Hell, no! Kerry Wood will be back stronger than ever!

Remember in the middle of the season when some cub fans were advocating the Lou Piniella theory of pitching? Namely, you start out the game with your relievers in the hope that they would bridge the gap for Wood, who would come into the game only needing to pitch 5 or 6 innings? Yeah, I guess that could work...

Or, I guess you could have a pitching staff that's capable of pitching 4 consecutive complete games in the biggest games of the year, which would be a feat the likes of which will never be seen again.

I wonder which one is better. :D:

1951Campbell
10-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Are you kidding? It's still one of the easiest jobs in America. Since when to people who go to Cub games care about winning or care about baseball?

Here how easy the job is:

[scene: the day before opening day]

Marketing director: So, did we finalize contracts with all our beer vendors?
Concessions director: Yep. We're all locked and loaded. Assuming 81 sellouts, we have about 9 pints for each fan.
Marketing director: Great! Well, my work here is done.

ajtokarz
10-18-2005, 10:24 AM
I actually think being in charge of marketing for the Scrubs would be easy, just come up with some silly crap about it being our year, and the Lemmings will lap it up per usual.

2006 Cubs Baseball!

We Have Beer.

(Tickets go on sale January 15th. All opponents TBA, but times and dates are set....)

Baby Fisk
10-18-2005, 10:27 AM
The best thing that could happen to the Cubs is a White Sox World Championship. That way the Cubs could wrap themselves in the cloak of Ultimate Losers, one failed year after another. "Join us this year! This COULD be the year!" Why would they ever want to win it all when it would mean losing that very thing by which they identify and market themselves? Losing is so loveable after all.

SOXPHILE
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Don't forget to get you tickets for the Cubs Disney Cruise in January. You get to meet Mickey, Minnie, and all the other Cubs players too.

(Actually, that would be HILARIOUS to go to. First off, it's a cruise from Florida to the Bahammas in the middle of winter. All the Cub fans would suck, but I would go to all the events wearing a bunch of Sox gear and just laugh at everyone.)

Brewski
10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Don't forget to get you tickets for the Cubs Disney Cruise in January. You get to meet Mickey, Minnie, and all the other Cubs players too.

(Actually, that would be HILARIOUS to go to. First off, it's a cruise from Florida to the Bahammas in the middle of winter. All the Cub fans would suck, but I would go to all the events wearing a bunch of Sox gear and just laugh at everyone.)

You could wind up like that guy on his honeymoon.

SOXPHILE
10-18-2005, 03:51 PM
You could wind up like that guy on his honeymoon.

Nah. What are they going to do ? Hit me over the head with some of their little Cubby jersey attired teddy bears ? Will some of those old ladies ask some Lincoln Park yuppies to help them throw their ping-ball size Cub earrings and round, knitted Cub hats at me ? Then again, they may try to stangle me with one of Andy McPhail's or Eric Zorn's sweater vests. But then again, they'd get distracted by the announcement that beloved ex-Cubs Mike Vail and Steve Ontiveros are signing Beanie Babies and American Girl dolls by the pool, and forget all about me..

HebrewHammer
10-19-2005, 01:44 AM
:lynch&mcfail
"Is it too early for an '03 tribute day?"

elrod
10-19-2005, 02:21 AM

Sad thing is, their "turn" was 2003. And they blew it.

DumpJerry
10-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Ok, some of the guys and me were talking yesterday about this "It's our turn" *stuff*. Who determines whose "turn" it is to go to the WS and how is it determined whose "turn" it will be? As best as we could recall, there are three (as of this morning, October 19th) teams that have NEVER been to the WS: Astros, Mariners and Rangers/Senators. Since the Flubs have been there, I would argue that these three teams get to go ahead of them (ok, the Mariners and Rangers will never get there for 20 years thanks to the new AL dynasty: Your Chicago White Sox, but Selig could move them to the NL).

Also, if the teams take turns going to the WS, how will the Yankees be punished for taking up everyone's turns all those years since 1919 in which they hogged the WS?
Bottom line: it ain't their turn. Not this year, next year or any year thereafter.

Hitmen77
10-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Ok, some of the guys and me were talking yesterday about this "It's our turn" *stuff*. Who determines whose "turn" it is to go to the WS and how is it determined whose "turn" it will be? As best as we could recall, there are three (as of this morning, October 19th) teams that have NEVER been to the WS: Astros, Mariners and Rangers/Senators. Since the Flubs have been there, I would argue that these three teams get to go ahead of them (ok, the Mariners and Rangers will never get there for 20 years thanks to the new AL dynasty: Your Chicago White Sox, but Selig could move them to the NL).

Also, if the teams take turns going to the WS, how will the Yankees be punished for taking up everyone's turns all those years since 1919 in which they hogged the WS?
Bottom line: it ain't their turn. Not this year, next year or any year thereafter.

Don't forget the Nationals/Expos, Rockies and Devil Rays too. Of course, the Rangers franchise has only been "waiting for their turn" since '61, the Astros since '62, Nats since '69, Mariners since '77, Rockies since '93, and TB since '98.

As far as the Cubs are concerned, since they and their fans have totally embraced the "lovable loser" image and people just show up at Wrigley Field to be there regardless of how the team is doing - I'd say they've sold "their turn" (if such a thing existed)

DumpJerry
10-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Don't forget the Nationals/Expos, Rockies and Devil Rays too. Of course, the Rangers franchise has only been "waiting for their turn" since '61, the Astros since '62, Nats since '69, Mariners since '77, Rockies since '93, and TB since '98.
Oh yeah, we also talked about the Expos/Nats. We kinda forgot about the Rockies and D Rays.

The Expos were probably headed to a WS showdown with us in 1994 if the strike had not taken place. If the Expos had made the '94 WS, they probably would still be in Montreal.

Brewski
10-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Nah. What are they going to do ? Hit me over the head with some of their little Cubby jersey attired teddy bears ? Will some of those old ladies ask some Lincoln Park yuppies to help them throw their ping-ball size Cub earrings and round, knitted Cub hats at me ? Then again, they may try to stangle me with one of Andy McPhail's or Eric Zorn's sweater vests. But then again, they'd get distracted by the announcement that beloved ex-Cubs Mike Vail and Steve Ontiveros are signing Beanie Babies and American Girl dolls by the pool, and forget all about me..

I remember those guys! It's a good measure of when I lost any interest in the Cubbywubbies.:smile: