PDA

View Full Version : Arizona World Series Game 1 Gathering

MarySwiss
10-17-2005, 02:51 PM
How about meeting up on Saturday at Skip and Jan's in Tempe? It's on the NW corner of Priest and Elliott, in the Sports Authority plaza. Good atmosphere, pool room, plenty of TVs, and just about any kind of bar food you can think of, reasonably priced. Plus, Skip is a longtime Sox fan.

According to MLB.com, game time is 7:30, which makes it 4:30 our time. I'll probably be there no later than 4, and I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow ecstatic Sox fans and watching the Sox knock that magic number down to 3!

fquaye149
10-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Man, Mary - I'll just miss you. Where were you with the Sunday night viewing - I was looking for a sports bar to watch the game at. My family and I are on vacation in Phoenix, staying at the Legacy Golf Resort just outside Tempe so I had to watch it on a little hotel tv. I'll be gone by the game on Saturday. Too bad - I could have bewildered you by pretending to hate Konerko and loving Richie Sexson.

Tata.

MarySwiss
10-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Man, Mary - I'll just miss you. Where were you with the Sunday night viewing - I was looking for a sports bar to watch the game at. My family and I are on vacation in Phoenix, staying at the Legacy Golf Resort just outside Tempe so I had to watch it on a little hotel tv. I'll be gone by the game on Saturday. Too bad - I could have bewildered you by pretending to hate Konerko and loving Richie Sexson.

Tata.

Holy crap, fquaye149, why didn't you PM me and let me know you were in town? I hosted all three weekend games at our home in Chandler. For sure, I would have invited you guys to join us. And if you had started any of that "hate Konerko/love Sexson" garbage, I would've tied a rock around your neck and tossed you into the pool!

Anyway, be sure to PM me the next time you're in town. Maybe Spring training?

Until then, try to behave yourself!

billyvsox
10-17-2005, 09:28 PM
MARYSWISS,

I will be there!!! I live in North Scottsdale and know where the place is. Will get there about 3:30 or 4:00 to make sure I can see all the pregame festivities. Are reservations needed?

MarySwiss
10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
MARYSWISS,

I will be there!!! I live in North Scottsdale and know where the place is. Will get there about 3:30 or 4:00 to make sure I can see all the pregame festivities. Are reservations needed?

No reservations required. Large place, plus I know the owner. See ya there!

wsoxfan
10-17-2005, 11:48 PM
never heard of Skip and Jan's, is it a good place to watch the game? If not i've been going to McDuffy's in tempe to watch some of the ALCS games with some ppl...

power98
10-18-2005, 07:55 AM
I still can't believe I'm going to watch a World Series with the Sox in it....someone pinch me....

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
I've been also going to McDuffys but Staurday there is nothing but college football. Maybe we'll see you there if we don't get tickets today.

MarySwiss
10-18-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm in Skip and Jan's often. I haven't watched a World Series game there yet, but I was there during the Suns' playoff run. It's not as raucous as McDuffy's-- which gets a lot of the ASU crowd--but the food and beverages are way cheaper, and you don't have to deal with the downtown Tempe parking issues. Plus, IIRC, McDuffy's hits you with a $5 cover during college football season.

MarySwiss
10-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Here's a shout-out to any Valley Sox fans who may have missed this post originally.

Harry Chappas
10-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Poor planning has me in the Phoenix-area during games 5 & 6 of the WS. I'll be at the Boulder's with my 7-months-pregnant-wife. I think the Boulders is in Carefree. Any idea how far that is from the bar in Tempe? I'd like to sneak out for one of the games. Unless of course we sweep them!

MarySwiss
10-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Poor planning has me in the Phoenix-area during games 5 & 6 of the WS. I'll be at the Boulder's with my 7-months-pregnant-wife. I think the Boulders is in Carefree. Any idea how far that is from the bar in Tempe? I'd like to sneak out for one of the games. Unless of course we sweep them!

Bad news, Harry. Carefree is north of Scottsdale, which makes it quite a haul to South Tempe, where Skip and Jan's is. Probably about the equivalent of Logan Square to Tinley Park. Also, much depends on what times the games take place. Traffic in the Valley--as in Chicago--makes all the difference. Much of the trip from Carefree to Tempe is freeway. I've made it in as little as 15 minutes, but it can also take well over an hour. According to MLB.com Game 5 would be Thursday at 8:00 EST, which is 5:00 our time. (Yuck!) However, Game 6 would be Saturday at 7:30 EST, which is 4:30 our time. (Probably not too bad.) BTW, when do the clocks change back there? They don't change here, so that could have an effect as well. (We'd be one less hour behind everyone.)

Good news: (And no, nothing to do with Geico!) The Boulders is a beautiful luxury resort. Next door is El Pedrigal, a very unusual upscale shopping center. Also, if you have time, wander over to nearby Cave Creek. And then there's always Scottsdale.

Finally, if we don't sweep and those games will be played, please feel free to PM me to see if things/locations have changed.

power98
10-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm also recruiting fans at work...

If you're in the East Valley, c'mon over...looking forward to meeting REAL Chicago Baseball Fans!:cheers:

pssondacubs
10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Mary, I hope to make it tomorrow night. Before I got your message I had tried to contact another Sox fan who has young kids about coming out to my house for a party. But I never heard back from him yet. I think he's on vacation. Sounds like a decent turn out expected. Hope to see you then.

MarySwiss
10-21-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm also recruiting fans at work...

If you're in the East Valley, c'mon over...looking forward to meeting REAL Chicago Baseball Fans!:cheers:

Hell, c'mon over even if you're NOT in the East Valley! billyvsox is coming down from North Scottsdale and pssondacubs is coming up from Casa Grande. Haven't heard from any West Valley or Tucson folk yet, but Tucson might be a little too much of a haul.

I'm working on a "Let's Kick Some Astros" sign (credit: DumpJerry) to bring with me to Skip and Jan's. Oh BTW, Skip will not be there; he caught a plane yesterday morning. To Chicago. Scored some tickets, the lucky rat!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW TO GET HERE!!!!! GO SOX!!!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

MarySwiss
10-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I'll be heading over to Tempe to the bar in about a half-hour. Man, has this day crawled or what?

See you there, Arizona Sox fans!! :D: :gulp:

wsoxfan
10-22-2005, 10:52 PM
good to see you all at the meeting at Skip and Jan's tonight, my roomate that was there with me works at Godaddy.com and I can send you a ftp login and passoword to upload all the sox victory pictures from the bar tonight to his hosting space...

Sox1000
10-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Northern AZ, ick. How about you come down here to the border. :cool:

power98
10-22-2005, 11:35 PM
good to see you all at the meeting at Skip and Jan's tonight, my roomate that was there with me works at Godaddy.com and I can send you a ftp login and passoword to upload all the sox victory pictures from the bar tonight to his hosting space...
I'll need it...right now they're on my blog...more to come

power98
10-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Wow. I'm home...and I watched the White Sox win the first game of the 2005 World Series. Words somehow fail to capture how I feel...excitement, relief, indigestion, etc. But most of all, I'm ECSTATIC! The magic number is now :bandance::bandance::bandance:!

First of all, I brought the digital cam. For some reason, even though my pics fit the right size for WSI photo gallery, it wouldn't let me post them. So, you'll have to go to my blog The Redneck Desert Dweller (http://azbubba.blogspot.com/) to check them out. Sorry I don't have names matched up yet, I just can't seem to concentrate enough. Hopefully we'll get the hosting thing done right and I can put them all in one place with names to match.

Next, I want to thank MarySwiss for picking a place and posting it. It was great to watch the game with knowledgeable fans rooting for the same team. Meeting you all was fantastic!

I have to throw a couple of things in here about the gathering, and then I'm going to call it a night. Church comes too darn early for me to celebrate all night like I feel.

Quote of the night:
Tim McCarver: The temperature has dropped dramatically here in Chicago.
MarySwiss: Good! Then take a shower and run around the block a couple of times!!

Fans who were recruited to root for the Sox in exchange for rooting for LSU: 1

Number of nervous AZ WSI fans when Fox shows Marte warming up in the bullpen: ALL OF US! :angry:

Main WSI side conversation of the night: Why can't we bash Flubby fans anymore? :kukoo:

Biggest baseball question of the night: Why take Jenks out after striking out two in a row?

Dumbest Fox graphic of the night: The WebMD graphic showing that the White Sox Bullpen had 'Rusty Arms'. Of course, that was right before the bullpen came in. 2 IP, 0 R, 0 ER, 5 K. Nice diagnosis, geniuses.

Well, that about does it for me. Once again, it was great meeting MarySwiss and everyone else. Hope to see you for Game 3!!!

SOX MAGIC NUMBER: :supernana::supernana::supernana:

Almost forgot. Thanks to Skip for calling in from Chicago to get us Sox fans a celebratory round of drinks on the house!!

MarySwiss
10-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Wow. I'm home...and I watched the White Sox win the first game of the 2005 World Series. Words somehow fail to capture how I feel...excitement, relief, indigestion, etc. But most of all, I'm ECSTATIC! The magic number is now :bandance::bandance::bandance:!

First of all, I brought the digital cam. For some reason, even though my pics fit the right size for WSI photo gallery, it wouldn't let me post them. So, you'll have to go to my blog The Redneck Desert Dweller (http://azbubba.blogspot.com/) to check them out. Sorry I don't have names matched up yet, I just can't seem to concentrate enough. Hopefully we'll get the hosting thing done right and I can put them all in one place with names to match.

Next, I want to thank MarySwiss for picking a place and posting it. It was great to watch the game with knowledgeable fans rooting for the same team. Meeting you all was fantastic!

I have to throw a couple of things in here about the gathering, and then I'm going to call it a night. Church comes too darn early for me to celebrate all night like I feel.

Quote of the night:
Tim McCarver: The temperature has dropped dramatically here in Chicago.
MarySwiss: Good! Then take a shower and run around the block a couple of times!!

Fans who were recruited to root for the Sox in exchange for rooting for LSU: 1

Number of nervous AZ WSI fans when Fox shows Marte warming up in the bullpen: ALL OF US! :angry:

Main WSI side conversation of the night: Why can't we bash Flubby fans anymore? :kukoo:

Biggest baseball question of the night: Why take Jenks out after striking out two in a row?

Dumbest Fox graphic of the night: The WebMD graphic showing that the White Sox Bullpen had 'Rusty Arms'. Of course, that was right before the bullpen came in. 2 IP, 0 R, 0 ER, 5 K. Nice diagnosis, geniuses.

Well, that about does it for me. Once again, it was great meeting MarySwiss and everyone else. Hope to see you for Game 3!!!

SOX MAGIC NUMBER: :supernana::supernana::supernana:

Cool blog, Power! Good to meet you all too. And pics came out great! Right now I'm kind of thinking "back to Skip and Jan's" for Game 3, but we have time to talk about it some more.

DieTrying79
10-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Wow, guys, what a nice showing you had! Great pics, too!

I wish we Nor Cal fans could get something like that together. I've posted, but have found little in the way of interest. You all can attest to how special it is to share this with real fans...

Hey, I might just come down to AZ to party with you guys. Afterall my cousin does go to ASU!:gulp: :cool:

MarySwiss
10-23-2005, 12:27 AM
Northern AZ, ick. How about you come down here to the border. :cool:

Doubtful, but you are more than welcome to join us in the Valley!

However, we did talk a little tonight about putting together a spring training outing or two. That might work for the Tucson folk and you southerners. :smile:

MarySwiss
10-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Wow, guys, what a nice showing you had! Great pics, too!

I wish we Nor Cal fans could get something like that together. I've posted, but have found little in the way of interest. You all can attest to how special it is to share this with real fans...

Hey, I might just come down to AZ to party with you guys. Afterall my cousin does go to ASU!:gulp: :cool:

Yeah, it was awesome! Really nice bunch of diehards! And if you do decide to join us,

:welcome:

Sox1000
10-23-2005, 01:37 AM
However, we did talk a little tonight about putting together a spring training outing or two. That might work for the Tucson folk and you southerners. :smile:

Yes, looking forward to spring training next year. :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

power98
10-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Cool blog, Power! Good to meet you all too. And pics came out great! Right now I'm kind of thinking "back to Skip and Jan's" for Game 3, but we have time to talk about it some more.Awful hard to go away from a bar where I see a White Sox World Series Game winner...and especially one where the last round is on the house....:rolleyes:

MarySwiss
10-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Awful hard to go away from a bar where I see a White Sox World Series Game winner...and especially one where the last round is on the house....:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. And it is a convenient East Valley location, being right off I-10. The other suggested bars-Teakwoods, McDuffy's-are both nice enough places, but I think Skip and Jan's wins out for the food and drink prices, ease of parking, and convenience. Not to mention the free round and the fact that we pretty much owned the place! :D:

Anybody else?