PDA

View Full Version : The Sox and WSI to be featured on NPR's All Things Considered today

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2005, 03:06 PM
I just got off the phone with Melissa Block of NPR. Be listening for our phone interview about Sox Fans and the Sox later this afternoon.

I'm sure I sound stupid, but I'm confident I sound better at 1 in the afternoon than I do at 6 in the morning.

:wink:

cheeses_h_rice
10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
That damned liberal media.

Fenway
10-17-2005, 03:23 PM
It will be available online after 6 PM Chicago time

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=2

Pulaski
10-17-2005, 03:25 PM
I just got off the phone with Melissa Block of NPR. Be listening for our phone interview about Sox Fans and the Sox later this afternoon.

I'm sure I sound stupid, but I'm confident I sound better at 1 in the afternoon than I do at 6 in the morning.

What station is NPR in Chicago?

SOXintheBURGH
Just make sure you don't get teal policed on the air waves, PHG.

mccoydp
Since I'm a big NPR geek, if you miss the interview on the radio, you can go to their website and listen to the story from there. According to the "All Things Considered" page, the audio will become available at 7:30 pm ET tonight.

EDIT: fenway beat me to this.

robiwho
10-17-2005, 03:31 PM
What station is NPR in Chicago?

91.5 FM

Tekijawa
10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Did they ask you if you would be for getting Paul Konerko Signed before the World Series Started?

Baby Fisk
10-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Did they ask you if you would be for getting Paul Konerko Signed before the World Series Started?
Maybe they asked how a White Sox championship would go over in a city that's just krazy about those Cubbies. Wouldn't the Sox and Sox fans feel guilty about winning it all?

soxfan26
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Since I'm a big NPR geek, if you miss the interview on the radio, you can go to their website and listen to the story from there. According to the "All Things Considered" page, the audio will become available at 7:30 pm ET tonight.

Thanks for the heads up!

chidonez
10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
My favorite is when Robert Siegel ends a good interview by exclaiming, "Rack it!"

greenpeach
10-17-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm sure that she just wants to talk about the change back to green seats.

robiwho
10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Nice job representing White Sox fans everywhere!

Fenway
10-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Nice interview

Well done George :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
10-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Excellent job, George! I heard your interview on ATC this afternoon on KERA 90.1 FM in Dallas.

:supernana:

Given your recent Chicago and now national media exposure, George, you might want to hire lots more mods to deal with all the newbies and the small percentage of them who unfortunately and inevitably will come here to troll!
:D:

BringBackBlkJack
10-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Excellent interview, very well handled. You hit the nail on the head.

soxfan26
10-17-2005, 06:45 PM
When you're a White Sox fan you measure time in terms of generations
You don't become a White Sox fan unless you have a darn good reason

:thumbsup: Great interview PHG, I was covering all these same topics at lunch today with my Dad. What a day for Sox fans!!!

FresnoSOX
10-17-2005, 07:13 PM
It is indeed a special day when I hear "Go Go White Sox" on NPR ... well done!

JorgeFabregas
10-17-2005, 07:29 PM
"It's almost biblical in its proportions." 46 years in the wilderness before the promised land?

SweetnesSox
10-17-2005, 07:33 PM
THANK YOU for representing us on NPR! I loove NPR and I loove the site. keep it goin man!

Chisox003
10-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Outstanding PHG

How many new members so far today? :cool:

Daver
10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Outstanding PHG

How many new members so far today? :cool:

88, with no end in sight.

The Racehorse
10-17-2005, 07:56 PM
PHG, great interview! I especially liked how you answered Melissa's question, "would you be happiest if the White Sox went against the Cardinals or the Astros"...

I was shaking my head *no* as she delivered it and as while you emphatically said "we don't care"... hell, I could care less if the Sox were matched up against the Luxembourg Lederhosen's cuz we're playing in the World Series Baaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyy!!!! :bandance:

BTW, it would be great if the Cards & 'Stros went the distance in the series, with each game going 15 or 20 innings, burning up their bullies in the process...

GO SOX!!! :)

doublem23
10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Just listen via the "internet," and I gotta say... Good stuff.

:thumbsup:

Go Sox!

MarySwiss
10-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Just heard it, George. Great stuff!

Reminds me of 83
10-17-2005, 08:07 PM
These are heady days. First NPR, whats next....The Economist?

Well Done!

Go SOX!!!!!!

elrod
10-17-2005, 08:42 PM
I loved it. You have to have a reason to become a Sox fan, and usually it's family. Well, now Chicagoans have another reason to become a White Sox fan. They might bring the city a World Series winner.

flo-B-flo
10-17-2005, 08:51 PM
You're awesome George, that was great!

TornLabrum
10-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Great interview, George! And now WSI has the attention of the national media. YES!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Great interview, George! And now WSI has the attention of the national media. YES!

I'm just happy they didn't ask me to do this interview live over the phone at 6 o'clock in the morning.

:tongue:

A tip of the cap to Melissa Block and the NPR producers. They are very artful with their editing. They even made a goof like me sound reasonably intelligent.

I explained to the producer in Washington off the air what it was like to be a Sox Fan in Chicago. Imagine if you were a Boston Red Sox fan, but the biggest newspaper in town was owned by the Yankees, and the biggest independent TV station was owned by the Yankees, and one of the biggest radio stations was owned by the Yankees, too. And instead of the Yankees being 200 miles down the coast, the Yankees were playing 8 miles away. And their fans live in your neighborhood and you're outnumbered at least 2 to 1. And they're smug but not for winning but because of losing. Lots and lots of losing. And of course attendance.

Gosh, there aren't too many NPR radio stations in New England are there? Tell me that analogy wouldn't have driven home the point.
:cool:

Anyway, I mostly tried to take the high road. Mostly.

NSSoxFan
10-17-2005, 09:25 PM
George, as always, nicely done.

FJA
10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Nice work, George. :cool:

robiwho
10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I explained to the producer in Washington off the air what it was like to be a Sox Fan in Chicago. Imagine if you were a Boston Red Sox fan, but the biggest newspaper in town was owned by the Yankees, and the biggest independent TV station was owned by the Yankees, and one of the biggest radio stations was owned by the Yankees, too. And instead of the Yankees being 200 miles down the coast, the Yankees were playing 8 miles away. And their fans live in your neighborhood and you're outnumbered at least 2 to 1. And they're smug but not for winning but because of losing. Lots and lots of losing. And of course attendance.

Absolutely brilliant!!!!

TornLabrum
10-17-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm just happy they didn't ask me to do this interview live over the phone at 6 o'clock in the morning.

:tongue:

A tip of the cap to Melissa Block and the NPR producers. They are very artful with their editing. They even made a goof like me sound reasonably intelligent.

Gosh, there aren't too many NPR radio stations in New England are there? Tell me that analogy wouldn't have driven home the point.
:cool:

Anyway, I mostly tried to take the high road. Mostly.

Yeah, but you did get in a beautiful dig at the Cubbies.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but you did get in a beautiful dig at the Cubbies.

Well I did say I "mostly" took the high road.

For the record I did give props to the Indians for pushing the Sox in September, but those comments got snipped out. Perhaps it's because I went on to say we eliminated them with a 3-game sweep in Cleveland to end the season, then did the deed on Boston and now California/Anaheim/LA or whatever they're calling themselves now.

I tell ya, it's hard to be humble when you're a fan of the 2005 White Sox.

:redface:

thechico
10-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Missed it in the car on the way home. Probably came on when I was getting gas.
George, your voice sounds TOTALLY different from what I expected.
It wasn't a hazy puff piece, but you did get the message across. Let's see if anyone (besides we loyal south siders) get it.
And like you, today I felt better than, well, ever!

Chico