PDA

View Full Version : A Sox fan since 1956 - Had to post

bear_brian
10-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Hope no one is offended by the rantings and ravings of an old Sox fan. Heck, I don't care if no one even reads this. Just had to express myself after so many frustrating years. So many years of being the also-ran, so many years of playing second fiddle - to the Yankees, to Oakland, to Kansas City, to Cleveland, to the Twins. So many wonderful players over those years with no championships to show for it, so many heartaches and so many failures.

This year's team has been an absolute joy to follow all season, yes even in mid and late September when it looked like the wheels were coming off the cart. They never quit, they go about their business with incredible pride and professionalism, they make up for a lack of "star talent" with all of the little things that make a baseball team win games.

They have a shortstop who probably looks less like a true shortstop than anyone I have ever seen play the position, yet who makes all of the plays and then some. They have a third baseman who can look like the worst major league hitter you have ever seen, yet who keeps getting clutch hit after clutch hit. They have a center fielder whose performance dropped drastically from last year, and a left fielder who drove in a grand total of twenty-five runs. They had one regular hit over .290 in the regular season. They went through three closers before settling on a totally inexperienced rookie. They have a manager who no one can understand, and an owner whom everyone despises. Yet ... they are the best team in the Amercan League, and four wins away from being the best team in baseball.

They have been so much fun to watch all season. My personal favorites have been A. J., Tadahito, Jermaine Dye and, of course, Konerko. These guys epitomize to me what baseball is all about, and they go about their craft like the true professionals they are.

Finally, what can you say about the pitching staff? Incredible, certainly during the play-offs, but all year long as well.

Anyhow, what a happy, joyous and monumental moment for me and for all White Sox fans. I want this time to last forever!!!

skobabe8
10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Well said!

:welcome:

PaulDrake
10-17-2005, 01:53 PM
You have one year on me as a Sox fan and I hear ya loud and clear.

jenn2080
10-17-2005, 01:55 PM
CHEERS to that. Well said.

WinOrDyeTrying
10-17-2005, 01:56 PM
When I turn 56 I will be a Sox fan for 56 years, as of right now... I have been a Sox fan for 19 years.

I still got to see a game at old Comiskey, though.

Baby Fisk
10-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Last night was sweet for all diehards of the Sox Army. But there is probably a correllation between the Sweetness Level and the Number of Years one has been a Sox fan. The longer the wait, the greater the satisfaction. 1956 -- that is awesome.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Post all you want, some of us "younger guys" love to hear experiences from the ones who paved the way to make us what we are...Sox fans.

Chisox003
10-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Last night was sweet for all diehards of the Sox Army. But there is probably a correllation between the Sweetness Level and the Number of Years one has been a Sox fan. The longer the wait, the greater the satisfaction. 1956 -- that is awesome.
Trust me, I definitely know where you guys are coming from....

But 1986 is pretty sweet too :cool:

The Sox won the pennant .... There's only one thing that could possibly sound sweeter than that

4 more!

WinOrDyeTrying
10-17-2005, 02:01 PM
:hijacked:

Does anyone know where I can find a 2005 AL Champion pennant, or other ALCS memerobilia at?

VenturaSoxFan23
10-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm sure within the week, every gas station, grocery store and the like will have them available.

nebraskasox
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Great post. You said what a lot of long time Sox fans feel. This team is special and this Championship hasn't really sunk in with me yet (is it really happening?)

Win or lose in the WS this has been a magical year. A win would be oh so sweet and I know this team will win or die trying. I love the way they have stayed focused and poised. The Sox looked like the team with playoff experience - not Boston or LAAA. They know they are not done yet. They seem like a team with a mission.

Ol' No. 2
10-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm sure within the week, every gas station, grocery store and the like will have them available.Most places I've called say they're coming in later today. They'll sell out fast, so don't wait around.

asindc
10-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I've been a Sox fan since 1972. As the original poster so eloquently put it, previous Sox teams have been frustrating to follow, with so many 2nd place finishes. As he said, first the Yanks, then Oakland, then KC, then Cleveland, and most frustratingly, Minny.

Once this team established themselves by late May, however, I knew this year's team had something different about them. They just win. However it needs to be done, they do it. I love watching these guys play. The defining moment during the regular season for me, as I'm sure it is for many other people, was Crede's 10th inning homer against Cleveland in that pivotal home series. I called my brother the next morning and told him then, that was the hump game. I just had a feeling that we would be fine after that.

More than any Sox team I can remember, including 93 and 94, this team just gives me that sense that they will get it done, no matter what. More importantly, they play like they know they will.

soxgirl617
10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Bear Brian, thanks for your eloquent post. You captured the feeling of this season in just a few paragraphs. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to put the season into words...and you've done it for all of us!

DannyCaterFan
10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
For me, it has been exactly 46 years waiting for this to happen. My Dad took me to my first Sox game on opening day of 1960 when I was 8. It was then that I instantly fell in love with the Sox and Comiskey park.
Time seemed to slow down for me in a surreal way last night between the second and third out of the ninth inning. Thoughts and visions of all that i had seen up until now were passing through my mind.
Whatever happens in the World Series, these Sox made this old guy the happiest man in Chicago last night. Go Sox!!!:bandance: