PDA

View Full Version : Police presence in Bridgeport last night: a bit too much?

cheeses_h_rice
10-17-2005, 01:42 PM
As I posted in the postgame thread, I tried to drive over to the Cell from Puffer's to celebrate with the fans that were already there (as I saw on TV). The police blocked 35th Street at Wallace heading east. We managed to park south of the park near the Ryan and walk around to the front of the park, where you could see they had blocked off 35th Street going west. In addition to this, there were 2 or 3 helicopters hovering above, which I could only assume were police helicopters. When we got to the front of the ballpark, there were 2 groups of fans on either side of the street, flanked by a ton of police. Even though all traffic was stopped on 35th, except for media and CTA buses, police were keeping people from walking on the street.

So, we ended up with what was a really neutered celebration, a completely different vibe than what used to follow all the Bulls' championships and even the Cubs' 1998 big Wild Card celebration.

My question is: why can't the city at least let people flow freely in their cars and enjoy the moment? Do they really fear thousands of White Sox fans getting out of hand and somehow dismantling the ballpark brick by brick? It was fun driving down 35th Street honking the horn and shouting out the window, but it was just lame standing in front of the park being babysat by 50 cops.

skobabe8
10-17-2005, 01:44 PM
As I posted in the postgame thread, I tried to drive over to the Cell from Puffer's to celebrate with the fans that were already there (as I saw on TV). The police blocked 35th Street at Wallace heading east. We managed to park south of the park near the Ryan and walk around to the front of the park, where you could see they had blocked off 35th Street going west. In addition to this, there were 2 or 3 helicopters hovering above, which I could only assume were police helicopters. When we got to the front of the ballpark, there were 2 groups of fans on either side of the street, flanked by a ton of police. Even though all traffic was stopped on 35th, except for media and CTA buses, police were keeping people from walking on the street.

So, we ended up with what was a really neutered celebration, a completely different vibe than what used to follow all the Bulls' championships and even the Cubs' 1998 big Wild Card celebration.

My question is: why can't the city at least let people flow freely in their cars and enjoy the moment? Do they really fear thousands of White Sox fans getting out of hand and somehow dismantling the ballpark brick by brick? It was fun driving down 35th Street honking the horn and shouting out the window, but it was just lame standing in front of the park being babysat by 50 cops.

They were showing aerial coverage on the news, so at least 1 helicopter wasnt cpd.

ChiSoxGirl
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
We all walked from Puffers down to the Grandstand area around 11:30p or so and we were able to walk right in the middle of Halsted and 35th Streets, but only up until we got to the corner of 35th & Wallace. Hangar18 had his video camera, trying to capture it all, and one of the CPD kept yelling at him to stay out of the street (this was on Wallace), even though he was nowhere near traffic; he was right behind the CBS 2 truck! The police presence was a bit intense & tough at that intersection, though; I'd have to agree with you on that.

We were going to go to the ballpark after all this, but we ran into DumpJerry who told us it was all blocked off already and that nobody could get through. So, we just stayed around 35th & Wallace for awhile and walked back to Puffers around 12:15a or so and ended up closing the place at 1:30a! :gulp: :bandance:

Cat Thief
10-17-2005, 02:05 PM

I agree that blocking off 35th really sucked. It was that seargent with the white hair who was the problem. He also was a real ass after we swept Boston and there were only 1/4 of the people out there. Before they blocked it off it was great. After awhile we just left and when down Lowe, Wallace and Halsted. I wasn't too intimated by the police. A lot of them were just standing around smiling. Some were using their sirens and that loud horn they have. It was not like anything I have ever experienced.

One thing I didn't understand was why the State Troopers were blocking off 94 west on the east side of the Ryan and they were also blocking off Wells on 31st.

kitekrazy
10-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Well I'm sure the police had no clue how fans would react since something like this happened in the last century.