PDA

View Full Version : Come on and Admit it. Who Cried last night??

crazyozzie02
10-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I want to know. I was about a couple of seconds from crying but i got sprayed in the face by champaine by my father. No doubt will i cry if they win it all, but did any of you actually cry? Just wondering.

Colin

chitownhawkfan
10-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Corey McPherin almost did on Fox, they had to go to commercial, it was very touching. He grew up on the South side and is a big time Sox fan.

Madvora
10-17-2005, 11:08 AM
My experience was complete silence once Crede hit the homerun to tie the game. I was almost in tears once the Sox took the lead in the 8th. I have never felt like that watching a game, and I get pretty worked up.
After that I was totally calmed down (in comparison)

harwar
10-17-2005, 11:09 AM
I laughed .. i cried .. i lived .. i died .. i am a White Sox fan whose team is going to the WORLD SERIES!!!

pearso66
10-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I was close, but not quite there. If they win the World Series, or if I can get World Series tickets and get to go to the game, those are 2 places I may. I mean to feel the atmosphere of a World Series game would be outstanding

Rocky Soprano
10-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Corey McPherin almost did on Fox, they had to go to commercial, it was very touching. He grew up on the South side and is a big time Sox fan.

I saw that, it was a VERY heartfelt moment. He began talking about this 83 year old dad and that he knew his dad was at home celebrating and Corey almost lost it. He was visibly in tears.

I came close to crying, especially this morning when it really hit me.

GO SOX!

mjharrison72
10-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I didn't last night, but I have been getting choked up this morning as I read things and listen to Rooney's call over and over. It is indeed a very special time for those of us who have loved this team so long, and there's no shame in being emotional about it.

Mohoney
10-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I cried.

CJLove23
10-17-2005, 11:15 AM
I cried !!! I had a little too much wine, and a lot of excitement and it just hit me!! All of my coworkers who were Sox fans were jumping around all over the place while they played the Let's Go Go Go White Sox song and it was very cool. Then I felt stupid for crying since everyone else was dancing

Jerko
10-17-2005, 11:15 AM
:whiner: = Jerko last night. Good thing I had my rally towel handy.

mdep524
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
I didn't last night, but I have been getting choked up this morning as I read things and listen to Rooney's call over and over. It is indeed a very special time for those of us who have loved this team so long, and there's no shame in being emotional about it. Watching the game last night with Joe Buck's bland call and Piniella and McCarver's silence paled big time to the experience I had this morning when I heard Rooney's call for the first time. I was lying in bed, and I felt Rooney's call hit me like a ton of bricks.

I am going to try like hell to get tickets for Saturday, that pregame is going to be unlike anything on this world.

spawn
I didn't come close to crying, but after hearing Rooney's call replayed, I got goosebumps. And everytime I've heard it, I've gotten goosebumps.

Cat Thief
Almost happened in the top of the 9th last night, but I fought it off. While driving in this morning The Loop played Another One Bites the Dust and We Are The Champions back to back. That tear finally fell.

Cat Thief
10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
I didn't come close to crying, but after hearing Rooney's call replayed, I got goosebumps. And everytime I've heard it, I've gotten goosebumps.

Man, I still haven't heard it. Is it online somewhere?

SoxFan76
10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
I didn't cry until an hour after the game ended and I heard Rooney's call. I broke down.

CJLove23
10-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah where is this call? I missed it too :(:

thecell
10-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Wept openly.

Law11
10-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I lost it. I was close in the 8th after retiring Vlad. Started thinking about my pop who passed recently. I had so much tension and emotion built up I just lost it for about 2 minutes right after the game. Tears of joy!

kitekrazy
10-17-2005, 11:27 AM
For me it's shock and awe. Living in IL all my life there hasn't been that many winners in this state. I wasn't sure how this team would do without much playoff experience. There was also the dark cloud months.

This team I think has shocked a whole nation. We watched them destory the AL the first half and decided to do a curtain call and destroy the playoff teams.

I know Jerry Riensdorf is crying because he'll have open the checkbook to keep some of these guys. Last I heard Sox fans don't go to games because of the park. Fans lived up to their half, what say you Jerry?

jmcts
10-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Here is a link to the call. Hope it works.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps/y2005/audio.jsp?view=ana_cws

This is to the ALCS page at MLB.com. Once there, just click on the aptly named "White Sox win the ALCS."

kevingrt
10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I shed a tear right when the game ended and just partied, laughed, jumped around, and everything else after the game. After celebrating and around 4:00. I listened to Rooney's call and I couldn't hold myself back. AMAZING!!!!

I can't believe last night, everytime I listen to Rooney's call I get the shivers and chills. Friggin unbelieveable!

CJLove23
10-17-2005, 11:36 AM

This is to the ALCS page at MLB.com. Once there, just click on the aptly named "White Sox win the ALCS."

Thank you so much and holy crap!!! Chills and goosebumps and a little teary-eyed for sure! You were all right! WOW! Awesome

*This is my new voicemail greeting now!! :bandance:

MiamiSpartan
10-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Like a baby! Talked to my sister in Glen Ellyn late last night and we were both bawling and remembering games we had gone to together 20-30 years ago...

mrs. hendu
10-17-2005, 11:49 AM
In the bottom of the 9th, I started .. laughing out loud. I had tears in my eyes this mornign reading stuff about the Sox, but last night I was just laughing. My reaction to hueg relief I guess. :cool:

Chisox003
10-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Thank you so much and holy crap!!! Chills and goosebumps and a little teary-eyed for sure! You were all right! WOW! Awesome

*This is my new voicemail greeting now!! :bandance:
Oh my.....

That's the first time I've heard that call .... Wow

Wow

FielderJones
10-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Not during the game or after the game, when my guests were still here .Not until I got to WSI, and for fun decided to play the mp3 of Na Na Hey Hey. That's the point where my eyes got wet and the realization really struck me. The White Sox have won the pennant!

mjharrison72
10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Man, I still haven't heard it. Is it online somewhere?
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps/y2005/audio.jsp?view=ana_cws
Click on the "White Sox win the ALCS" audio link.
EDIT: Sorry... didn't see someone already got it. Oh, well... use this as an excuse to listen to it twice!:bandance:

SAVVY18
10-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Even though I had Rooney on the Radio and the TV volume down last night, I didn't cry at all. I was just sooooo pumped and still in a dreamland. Then this morning they played Rooney's call on Sportscenter and I teared up. It is all sinking in now. All the despair during the Slide, not knowing if we would make it and then the relief/Joy when we did.

MERCY!!!!!!!

Baby Fisk
10-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Cried for joy. Then ran for the champagne. :cool:

SSN721
10-17-2005, 12:08 PM
I did, and I probably will again when I talk to my father after work.

MarySwiss
10-17-2005, 12:15 PM

I didn't cry last night because I was too busy screaming and jumping around like a madwoman, high-fiving and hugging my friends, but I just played this and got the wobbly chin. :whiner:

Thanks for posting it!

dzipio
10-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Got pretty choked up and misty. Don't listen to those jerks on TV! Turn down the sound and turm up Rooney and Farmio!!

Born 10/6/59 day of the last WS victory. FO MO in 2005!
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Sxy Mofo
10-17-2005, 12:17 PM
I did. I thought about my uncle who took me to sox games when i was a kid... he died in august. He would've loved to see this.

I like to think he had an effect on the pitcher tagging AJ without the ball.

It's crazy that the pitcher actually had the ball in his glove, then took it out, then tagged him with the unballed glove. It's not like he didn't have the opportunity to tag him with the ball in his glove.

DenverSock
10-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Thought I would I would but I didn't. Just kept humming: "Na-Na-Na....."

robiwho
10-17-2005, 12:24 PM
I absolutely cried...and then I couldn't stop laughing!

tacosalbarojas
10-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Definitely some tears when you start thinking about the people who brought you up in the tradition of being a SOX fan and how many of those people passed on since 1959 and never got to see this day. Kass wrote beautifully about this point today.

faneidde
10-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Last night I was just so shocked that I don't think it really set in that the Sox were going to the World Series for the first time in my lifetime. When I got to work this morning and started reading some stuff, I teared up a little. Then, just a few minutes ago on lunch I heard Rooney's call and just let it go. And then reading this thread made me tear up a bit too.

Dice
10-17-2005, 12:31 PM
I didn't cry BUT I sure let out a holla that made my wife asked me if I'm crazy. YES I'AM CRAZY. Crazy happy about this win and World Series bound team.

For some strange reason I couldn't get a hold of my good friend and my brother(both who are Cubs fans) last night. I wonder if they were out partying with the rest of the REAL baseball fans?

steff
10-17-2005, 12:32 PM
:whistle:

:wink:

beckett21
10-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I didn't cry, but you still can't wipe the smile from my face. It's stuck there. :smile:

Petch
10-17-2005, 12:39 PM
There is no doubt about it. I cried my eyes out. All night long. It was great!

Brian26
10-17-2005, 12:45 PM
I can't believe last night, everytime I listen to Rooney's call I get the shivers and chills. Friggin unbelieveable!

What is great is that when my alarm went off this morning, that call was on ESPN 1000 right at that very moment. Unbelievable coincidence. Incredible way to start the day.

:D:

alohafri
10-17-2005, 12:49 PM
I did...although not like the little girl I thought I would cry like.

MeteorsSox4367
10-17-2005, 12:52 PM
When Konerko stepped on first, I was screaming, laughing, crying, everything. I hugged my Dad, hugged the dog and talked to one of my childhood friends on the phone and we were screaming like idiots.

This morning on the way to work, I was listening to ESPN Radio and they played Rooney's call. Here I am on I-55 and I'm crying over the Sox. Then I get on the ramp to the Ryan, they play the call again, I cry again and I looked out and saw the outline of the ballpark.

Awesome.

Dolly
10-17-2005, 12:59 PM
I laughed, I cried.... truly unbelievable. Heck, I'm STILL crying, every time I think about it!!!! (and I can't stop thinking about it!!!)

:) :) :)

rm0824
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Anyone know if there's a way that I can see the video, but here Rooney at the same time? I'd rather do that than hear the lame call from Joe Buck.

Rooney's call just gives me chills.

spawn
10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Just listened to the clip online...I heard it first on Mike & mike this morning, but I didn't hear the entire call...they cut it off after Rooney screamed "The White Sox win the Pennant!"...I didn't hear when he told us to celebrate...I got a little choked up listening to that. Also, listen to his call of Crede's rbi single that plated the go ahead run, and also his call of Konerko's double. Enjoy him while we can fellow Sox fans. That man will, without a doubt, be missed.

Over By There
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
:raiseshandsheepishly:

:smile:

rookieroy
10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
On my way home last night in the car with my 10 year old sleeping next to me. Just one tear and I had to wipe my eyes with a tissue and I was fine. It comes down to all the years of going to games, Soxfest, garage sales, Kids days, watching on t.v. and listening to the radio and everything else. This is what we've been waiting for and hopefully, the very best is yet to come.

:smile: :bandance: :smile: :bandance:

soxfan26
10-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I called my Dad right away and told him he was spoiled (2 AL Penants in his lifetime:D: ). We talked while we watched the postgame action and were both in complete disbelief.

After I hung up with him I teared up a bit listening to the Go Go Sox song. I still can't shake that "Wow, the Sox are going to the World Series" feeling. I LOVE IT!!! :bandance:

BeviBall!
10-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Oh yeah... I cried. I couldn't talk to anyone for about an hour.

Lisa
10-17-2005, 02:08 PM
I jumped up and down on the couch yelling a few times, then burst into tears. Then I called my parents, we all yelled, and then realized we didn't know what to say. My husband looked at me like I was nuts (he's from Colorado).

I have my Game 2 ticket! Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if I can get hold of any other WS tix, even in Houston, I'll be there. Not working this year apparently is a good thing for the next couple weeks!

SOXintheBURGH
10-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I didn't cry, I just made the same noise Kramer makes around Bette Middler.

Dan1972
10-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I teard up a bit as I hugged my brother, and a couple of friends. We've been fans our whole lives and deep down, I never thought I would see the Sox in the world series.

Thank you White Sox !

MERPER
10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
I didn't think I would... I knew I would if/when we win the World Series.. but as it turns out, I couldn't help it and cried for about a half hour last night...

It just overwhelmed me... I couldn't stop thinking about all of the emotional time I have spent watching this team, loving this team, being mad at this organization, sitting in the ballpark, etc.... throughout my life

I have said since 1998 that I'd trade the Bulls championships for 1 White Sox World Series... It's something about being able to say WHITE SOX and WORLD SERIES in the same sentence AND ACTUALLY MEAN IT for the first time in my life.. I couldn't hold the tears back and I imagine they will flow like Niagara Falls if we win 4 more...

:whiner:

chisoxfanatic
10-17-2005, 03:41 PM
I cried a little less than I thought I would; but, I guess that was because of the COWBELL!

It still hasn't completely set in that the CHICAGO WHITE SOX are going to the World Series...OUR Chicago White Sox!!!!!

C-Dawg
10-17-2005, 03:46 PM

I am going to have to click on that! The Fox guys were almost as downcast about the series win as the ESPN guys were last week in Boston.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-17-2005, 03:58 PM
I cried, I had to sit down after hugging my brother after the final out and then our older brother called from his honeymoon in Hawaii and we both let the tears flow

D. TODD
10-17-2005, 04:02 PM
No tears, but plenty of emotions. OUR SOX WON THE PENNANT!!

gogochisox1917
10-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I started out a little misty eyed at the end of the game, but then my husband lost it...and I was history. We were both crying, hugging, jumping up and down. What a night, what a year, what a team!!!!

bafiarocks03
10-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I cried!! I practically started at the beginning of the bottom of the 9th! yeah it was bad! And Willie actually celebrating and being there in pictures, didn't help much! And Ozney was all over the pplace last night! It was just amazing!!

TomBradley72
10-17-2005, 04:53 PM
I did. Pure joy....34+ years of following this team all running like a highlight reel in my mind. After all the phone calls to/from family/friends....I felt the void of the two biggest sports fans in my family (besides me)...two of my sisters who are no longer with us...and pretty much lost it. In a good way....if that makes any sense.

zach23
10-17-2005, 05:37 PM
I didn't cry last night, but I did cry this morning.
Last night I watched the game at my friend's house. We have gone to games together for years and we have known each other for over 20 years. It was the two of us and his brother. When the last out was made we jumped around like crazy. We watched the post game stuff and then went down to the airport to welcome them home.
Standing down there with all the other fans and seeing some of the players made it finally sink in that this wasn't a dream and it was all real. I didn't get home until 7 am and I was going on adrenaline after being up for over 24 hours. After hugging my 1 year old son and sending him off to his aunt's house with my wife (I needed to get some sleep today), I sat there this morning alone for awhile and it all just sunk in. Thats when the tears of joy came.
Last year I got to cry tears of joy when we ended a long wait and adopted our son. We brought him home on September 17th, 2004. Now here it is just one year and one month to the day and I am crying tears of joy after waiting my whole life to see the Sox make the World Series.
I stared at my ticket for game 1 last night and it felt sureal. I can't believe that this Saturday I will watch the Sox play a World Series game in person. If I am dreaming, please don't wake me up.

Wimpy
10-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I started to tear up when the Sox took the lead on Crede's infield hit. That's when I knew it was over. I knew we would win it right there and go to the World Series. When I heard Rooney's call this morning I got the biggest goosebumps and almost teared up again.

chisox
10-17-2005, 06:38 PM
i didn't cry right after the game. i cried when it all set in. the white sox have been such a large part of my life, as i'm sure they've been a part of all of yours. they were there for me to take my mind of the hard things in life. when my parents divorced, when my grandfather died, when i was oversees, through tough break-ups, etc. i was just really happy for my team.

Jurr
10-17-2005, 07:37 PM
I didn't cry, but you still can't wipe the smile from my face. It's stuck there. :smile:
Same here. It just now sunk in that the Sox are in the dance, as I was just in total shock last night. Me and my dad talked about my grandfather and how he'd love to see this, and I got a little misty, but not too much yet.

Now, if they get four more wins, all bets are off. I'm going to go into Sean Astin mode and let 'em fly.

TornLabrum
10-17-2005, 07:44 PM
I was too busy whooping and high fiving Jeff to cry.

bigsqwert
10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
I didn't cry last night but I just finished listening to Rooney on gameday audio, bottom of the 9th and I had tears in my eye.

flo-B-flo
10-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes I teared up, couldn't help it. Thought of my Dad gone since 91. My younger brother who passed in 01. We probably would have been on the phone watching the game together. Like we did thousands of other games. I can't stop listening to Rooney's call. Gonna REALLY miss that guy.

soxjim
10-17-2005, 08:10 PM
I did not cry after the game. When the lady I work with played the Lets Go Go White SOX song when I arrived in our room and saw the individuals we serve clap and dance. The tears did fall.

ChiSox Fan 68
10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
I started tearing up right before the third out in the 9th, when they were showing clips from 1959. I just listened to Rooney's call for about the 20th time today and can't get through it without my eyes welling up.

hose
10-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Tears........no way I was so pumped by the win that sheer jubilation came over my body. (I did get happy feet though):bandance:

Ventura Fan 23
10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I was jumping for joy, no tears here.

Chrisaway
10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Cried? I almost PUKED with joy.

batmanZoSo
10-17-2005, 08:37 PM
When Pauly tacked on an RBI with that blast off the wall I got misty eyed. I just can't cry. My machoness is rooted so deeply in my brain I just can't do it. We'll see when we win this next series. I always thought I would.

Railsplitter
10-17-2005, 08:39 PM
No, but I came close.

Sarah
10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I didn't cry, but I did get so excited that I threw up.

That's just gross, I know.

-Sarah-

Muopsies
10-17-2005, 09:53 PM
I didnt at first, I was in shock. Then later at night, I listened to the 9th on mlb audio and hearing Rooney go solo in the booth with his passionate call made me sob a few times, tears of pure joy though.

mike squires
10-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Watching the game last night with Joe Buck's bland call and Piniella and McCarver's silence paled big time to the experience I had this morning when I heard Rooney's call for the first time. I was lying in bed, and I felt Rooney's call hit me like a ton of bricks.

I am going to try like hell to get tickets for Saturday, that pregame is going to be unlike anything on this world.

I think that has been a lot of my problem. Guys, don't get me wrong...I am a happy guy. I've been wearing my Sox close and hats ever since October started (and before that) but I don't know what it was...The opponents, the crap Joe Buck and his same monotone voice...or what, but I felt totally underwhelmed the entire series. I didn't feel the same anxiety/pizzazz as I didn the Boston series. I don't feel normal and I hope I don't feel the same during the world series. UNderstand I am part of the diehards and the core of the core if you will. I hope nothing is wrong with me. I admit though, I heard Rooney's call this afternoon and it gave me goosebumps. I think if we had clinched at home I would have been a bit more excited. DOn't hate me for feeling this guys. I know it's not right.

RealMenWearBlack
10-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I didn't after the game, but I did when I was going home from Midway this morning. I was thinking about what it would mean for the Sox to win the World Series. I tried to compose myself, but I couldn't help it.

IronFisk
10-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I didn't cry until an hour after the game ended and I heard Rooney's call. I broke down.

Yup, that's what put it over the top for me. That and knowing how much my dad loved baseball, and how much he would have loved being here for that moment.

Alright...tissues! :whiner:

KRS1
10-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Just last night? Hell, I woke up with tears rolling down my face.

NowBatting19
10-18-2005, 12:16 AM
For me, it was a combination of Rooney's call and sound bites on the Score from Ozzie's press conference last year when Kenny introduced him as the new manager. It was really a nice piece. Come on now....don't stop!!!

MrRoboto83
10-18-2005, 12:40 AM
I was too busy hitting my head on the ceiling to cry. I get goosebumps thinking about things now. I may tear up if we win the big prize

SoxSideIrish
10-18-2005, 01:48 AM
yeah, i thought i would cry when they actually won it, but i was too stunned, i couldnt move, couldnt say anything. later in the night, i was online and i clicked on Rooney's call for the last out...man am i gonna miss that guy. the emotion in his voice, hearing him scream "THE SOX WIN THE PENNANT, THE SOX WIN THE PENNANT"....i just got goosebumps typing it, thinking of the clip. that clip brought me to tears, i dont think it set in that were going to the big dance until i listened to Rooney make the call. its like it wasnt official until i heard the radio voice of the white sox say it...not some overpaid schmuck like joe buck.

DieTrying79
10-18-2005, 02:00 AM
The final out, the celebration on the field...

I thought about 1993, 2000, all the greats who wore our uniform that never got to taste this...my grandfather, a die hard, who was born the same year as the last Sox World Series win...1917...my dad who had to console me after tough losses ("...next year, kid...")...the community of fans on the south side that has endured over the years...all of that combined made for a big ol' cry...I'm so so pround of these guys!!

chez742002
10-18-2005, 02:30 AM
I had a few tears throughout these playoffs!!

First Time, when the Real Sox started pounding the Bloody Sox in the 1st inning of Game 1 of the ALDS. I was screaming and driving on I55. Everyone was asking me what my problem was and I told them about the Sox game and they could not believe it!!!

Second Time, when the beleagured El Duque got out of the bases loaded jam in game 3 of the ALDS.

Third Time, when they won the ALDS!

Last time, the whole 9th inning of the ALCS! I was sitting with my father and watching the game in another room. I went for a dog walk in the bottom of the 8th because I was so scared. I came into his room after the walk and he told me they had scored 1 more and were threatening to score again. I decided that I wanted to sit with my dad, whom I shared countless White Sox disappointments with. Beginning in 1983, the third game of the ALCS against Baltimore. He took me, my brother, my mom, my uncle and both sides of grandparents to that game. We sat in the right field upperdeck and he bet about 3 Baltimore fans we were going to kill them in the series. right after that Eddie Murray crushed a three run homer that almost hit me in the head. Thank God he blocked it, I was 9 yrs old and I had not seen it. So he took comments from these guys all the rest of the game as we watched and prayed as it got worse. The final was 11-1 and we stayed until Scott Fletcher popped out to Ripken to end the game!! He paid all his bets and we were sad!! It was fun though because I was with my dad!!
In 1993, we went to 3 games all losses and we never thought we would ever win anything being Sox fans.
Then, 2000 came and went very fast, I took him to both games and once again there was nothing to cheer about.:angry: :angry:
But finally it happened, the Sox were going to win and out by out we cheered together. finally Konerko grabbed a hard grounder that we both thought he was going to drop, BUT HE DIDN'T. We yelled and cheered, "We finally did it, Thank You god!":whiner: :o::whiner: :redface:
Now my 81 yr old grandpa and my dad can die happy (hopefully not soon)!! They finally saw the White Sox win: not 1 playoff series, but 2 and a pennant!!! Neither got to see it in 1959, I don't know why?, but I got to see history with the most important guy I know.....
MY DAD, my hero!! Thank You God!!!!:gulp: :dtroll:

ASUSOXGRL
10-18-2005, 02:53 AM
I am still tearing up when i look at post-win pictures...perhaps its just because i'm a girl, or maybe I do really love the white sox that much.

rightsox
10-18-2005, 11:27 AM
I just listened to it again to make sure, but Bruce Levine was definitely choked up right after the game. He calmed down a little bit, but he sounded like he was about to lose it right before he found Paulie.

hdog1017
10-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I almost pissed myself because I was so excited.

Hangar18
10-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I didnt realize it, but apparently I was also ............ :redface:

Johnboy
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
During and immediately after the game it was more like stunned disbelief. I choked up when I read this thread yesterday afternoon. I heard George's interview on NPR on the way home from work, and I broke down & started blubbering like a fool when he talked about Sox fans spanning generations.

My dad was a lifelong Sox fan. The first game he took me to was July 2, 1977. The Sox had beaten the Twins the night before to take first by percentage points. We had box seats behind third base, those must have been tough to get. The place was jammed and it was buzzing the entire game. Bottom of the fourth, Sox down 2-0, bases loaded, Jim Spencer's up. Somebody in the right field stands had a big sign with a bulls-eye on it that said, "Come On Spence, Hit The Fence". He promptly drove one into the stands not more than twenty or thirty feet from that sign. Unbelievable.

By then we had moved way out to the boonies. All our neighbors were Cubs fans, I think mainly because WGN came in clear with a rooftop antenna. Not us... there we were, fiddling with the crappy UHF antenna, staring at the snowy picture on the 19" black-and-white Admiral... the picture was so bad you could hardly see the ball most of the time.

Dad didn't get too caught up in the hoopla in '77. He figured that team wasn't going anywhere for lack of pitching. But like the rest of us he had hopes in '83, '90, '93, and '94. He even sprung for Sportsvision, but he felt a little guilty because he thought it was extravagant. Through all those years I was living elsewhere, first in the Navy and then settling down South. Through all those years, every phone call from March through September was half taken up discussing the Sox. He'd catch me up on the stuff I was missing. A couple times a year I'd come home for a visit and we'd go to a game or two.

He died of cancer just before Opening Day 2000. I know it's silly, but to me that team won partly in honor of one of its all-time-great fans. I had four tickets to the 2000 ALCS that never happened. My brother and I didn't know who else we were going to invite but we figured Dad would be there regardless.

So I've been following this team all year, mostly on XM radio. Dad would've loved this team. They're quick, they play smart, they don't beat themselves, the fielding is solid, and they usually get the clutch hit when they need it.

SoxRule72
10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I want to know. I was about a couple of seconds from crying but i got sprayed in the face by champaine by my father. No doubt will i cry if they win it all, but did any of you actually cry? Just wondering.

Colin

I didn't cry, but my eyes did water up.....after the first out. "I got a lil' choked up as I shouted to Contreras (through the TV) "2 more outs, shut 'em down." After the 2nd out, I wiped my eyes and just couldn't believe they were THAT close...but I stood up again and shouted "Just one more out baby, come on Contreras" as I sat down I whispered to myself "just one more." I saw the foulball and thought it was a grounder to Paulie and started to jump off the couch when I saw it was foul....then as I composed myself and again whispered "one more out, one more out, one more....then I saw Paulie scoop the short hop and I just collapsed on the floor.

I pounded the floor with my head in my hand and just whispered...."they did it, they did it, they fu**in' did it." Had I stayed there I'm sure I would've broke down, but I quickly jumped up called my homie and told him to meet me at the bar where we were both greeted by other Sox fans with hugs, high fives etc etc etc.

DAMN it felt good!

SoxRule72
10-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Anybody hear Bruce Levine in the locker room after the game? Classic stuff!

"Here they come, here they come, here they come." He sounded like an emotional kid because his favorite team was coming to celebrate where he was.

I don't know if he's a Sox fan or not, but he sure sounded like one.........