PDA

View Full Version : What's your "good luck charm"?

Harry Chappas
10-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Last night, I was watching the game in my basement. The Sox were struggling to put runs on the board and when we were down by a run, I was starting to sweat. Crede was at the dish, and a few moments before he homered, my dog, all 115 lbs. of him, lumbered downstairs and sat next to me on the couch. Next pitch, GONE. He eventually bored of the game and went back upstairs only to return with Crede at the plate again. Once again, he climbed up on the couch and Crede delivered the chopper up the middle. I'm normally not a superstitious man, but my dog will have a reserved seat on the couch for the W.S. even if I have to bribe him with Scooby snacks. I'm not taking any chances with my very own rally-mutt!

mjharrison72
10-17-2005, 11:29 AM
My wife of one month (today)... the one playoff game we haven't watched together was Game 1 of the ALCS. She's talking some nonsense about if we get World Series tickets I should take a buddy instead of her, and I told her if I get the tickets, I certainly want to see a White Sox Winner!

WinOrDyeTrying
10-17-2005, 11:31 AM
My 1983 replica cooperstown Sox hat. the only time I didnt wear it was game 1 of the ALCS.

Flight #24
10-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Not all year, but pregame on Wednesday, I hit Carson's and bought the 3/4 sleeve division champs shirt to wear to the game. Wore it Wed PM, Fri PM, Sat, & Sun, i.e. for all 4 wins.

I'm now debating whether to wash it so it's ready to wear for the WS or not to risk messing with the mojo......

SoxFan78
10-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Believe it or not its one of the thundersticks from Game 2 of the ALDS. We got a extra one and I blew it up before the Sox took the lead. Im gonna have that thing for every game of the WS.

LongLiveFisk
10-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Wearing a Sox t-shirt. And it doesn't matter which one. I've worn about 4 or 5 different ones with all the same result! :D:

harwar
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't really believe in that stuff but i found an old pocket knife in august when we were really down and the White Sox have been playing great ever since.
This is too much fun.

SweetnesSox
10-17-2005, 11:36 AM
My 1983 replica cooperstown Sox hat. the only time I didnt wear it was game 1 of the ALCS. i got one of those! sick hat! my fave!

bluestar
10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
My daughter wearing her Sox outfit always brings them good luck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/shaunana/DSC00486.jpg

Jerko
10-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I changed the picture on my cellphone before game 1 of the ALCS. I changed it back after. And usually I wear the same hat if they won the last time I had it on.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I've worn the same Sox polo shirt every time they've had a chance to clinch (Detroit, Boston, and now Anaheim), and they've never let me down! I've also worn my Sox Pride bracelet every day since I got it at Sox Fest, and only take it off at night and in the shower. It's starting to get a tear in the "f" on "for", but I figure it's only got to last seven more games tops, and then it can retire.

Chicago
10-17-2005, 11:53 AM
I have my white White Sox wrist bands... 1 on each wrist... and I wear them to the games, but After I was at game1 of the ALDS I said I wasn't going to take them off till we win the WS...

Well they have been on since... minus one incident...

When I was getting ready to go to game1 of the ALCS, I took off my sweater and one of the wristband came off with it... I slapped it back on right away... and they lost that game. Since then they have not been off.

HEY,,, i'm just saying...:D:

doublem23
10-17-2005, 12:07 PM
I haven't shaved in a good two weeks now, and they are something like 12-1 since I have.

Ol' No. 2
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Not all year, but pregame on Wednesday, I hit Carson's and bought the 3/4 sleeve division champs shirt to wear to the game. Wore it Wed PM, Fri PM, Sat, & Sun, i.e. for all 4 wins.

I'm now debating whether to wash it so it's ready to wear for the WS or not to risk messing with the mojo......I've worn my AL Central Champion shirt for every game but one. (I don't have to tell you which one.:(:) For crissake, whatever you do, don't wash it. Just put it through the dryer for a few minutes to freshen it up a bit. And hang around people who won't mind the smell.:tongue:

voodoochile
10-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I take my hat to work with me and put "him" on a shelf where he can "watch" the game.

I also have been wearing clothes that my father's wife purchased for me after I graduated in 2000. They were for a new job which I no longer have, but can be worn for this job too. She went to as many Sox games as anyone with me in the last few years before I move to NC. This way I have her with me now.

Oh and even though I wear casual dress slacks and hard leather shoes, I have taken to wearing only white socks at work. :D:

Chicken Dinner
10-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Ice cold Miller Lite seems to be working great for me.

Flight #24
10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I've worn my AL Central Champion shirt for every game but one. (I don't have to tell you which one.:(:) For crissake, whatever you do, don't wash it. Just put it through the dryer for a few minutes to freshen it up a bit. And hang around people who won't mind the smell.:tongue:

Yeah, that's pretty much the plan.....although I'm debating testing out an AL Champs shirt for game1.......

Man, never thought I'd be saying that!

schmitty9800
10-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I didn't wear my Garcia jersey during the ALDS because it wasn't clean. I washed it and watched Game 1...and we lost. I haven't worn it since...

I love the jersey, but it's sitting in the closet until this year's done and the trophy is sitting on the corner of 35th and Veeck.

gosox83
10-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I went to Game one of the ALCS ,,,major bummer,

Then Game Two came along and I was sitting next to a trash can outside of the Cell before the gates opened and this worker came by to change the trash, and he flipped me this coin in a plastic wrapper. He said, "it's for the coin toss" I thanked him, opened it up, and looked at it and it has the diamond with a sock in it on one side and the Old English Sox Logo on the other. I put it in my wallet and claimed I wll carry it with me for the rest of the Post season. 4 hours later A.J. is running to first when I thought he struck out, and JOE CREDE IS ENDING IT.

MAYHEM ENSUED AND THAT IS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER BEEN TO MY ENTIRE LIFE AND WE HAVE NOT LOST SINCE. AND I STILL HAVE THE LUCKY COIN!!!

GO SOX!

VivaOzzie
10-17-2005, 12:59 PM
My 'Sox Security' button-down tshirt that my mom got me. That, and a cold Bud Light.

HebrewHammer
10-17-2005, 01:03 PM
My Karate Kid t-shirt. I've worn it to five home games(all but one postseason game, game 1 of the ALCS) and we have five wins. Coincidence? I think not.

anti-cub
10-17-2005, 01:16 PM
This year it's my first kid, my daughter has been decked out in white sox gear and back in May I told my wife, it the sox win it all we're having a baby next year at the same time. She was born on Sept 3rd right after the Sox beat Detroit....and yes the game was on in the delivery room.

Baby Fisk
10-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Not having one seems to be working great!

seanpmurphy
10-17-2005, 01:26 PM

I'm now debating whether to wash it so it's ready to wear for the WS or not to risk messing with the mojo......

I havent washed my white sox shirt I was wearing when they won the division and have worn it for every game since then except Game 1 of the ALCS. There's no way I'm washing it or not wearing every game of the WS

kix9723
10-17-2005, 02:23 PM
About 3 or 4 years ago, I got a white sock with the Sox logo on it while sitting in the Bullpen Sports Bar. That became my 'rally sock' which I waved madly in my living room. Every now and then I would hit my wife with it which seemed to bring on a little luck as well. Luckily my wife has a good sense of humor and understands my baseball passion to put up with me this weekend.

Sad
10-17-2005, 02:27 PM
My wife of one month (today)... the one playoff game we haven't watched together was Game 1 of the ALCS. She's talking some nonsense about if we get World Series tickets I should take a buddy instead of her, and I told her if I get the tickets, I certainly want to see a White Sox Winner!

hmmmm...
my wife, oddly enough, said she wanted to go to the WS...
she had said back on 9/11 she attended her last game for 2005...

maybe there's hope for her yet :rolleyes:

soxfan26
10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
My daughter Elizabeth who was born on April 11, 2005. The Sox have a 101-62 record since that day and on Saturday night make their first World Series apperance in either of our lifetimes. :bandance:

RealMenWearBlack
10-17-2005, 03:53 PM
I wore my jersey for game 1 and once they lost I had to change it up. I wore my AL Central Champions shirt for game 2. Since they won game 2 I had to wear it for game 3, and by the end of the series I wore the shirt 4 times in 5 days. My friend puts a large postal service envelope under his armpit because he did it during game 1 for the Red Sox and has done it during every game since then.

SOXintheBURGH
10-17-2005, 04:07 PM
The Sox are 12-1 since I bought this particular SOX bic lighter. Magical.

PicktoCLick72
10-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Too many to mention.

WikdChiSoxFan
10-17-2005, 04:16 PM
So get this...I'm a very superstitious guy...and I'm constantly kickin' myself for believin' in all this nonsense...anyway...game one I went to puffer's wearing my grey sox t-shirt, and '59 freebie hat with another hat to spare just in case I need to switch it up...(you see how bad I am at this stuff.) So game two, I decided to wear the exact same thing...(why not right, can't hurt, can only smell)...so i've got two ALDS wins in the bag with my little outfit at puffer's, ...so once more can't hurt...(i was a little reluctant because it was cold and my uniform consisted of a t-shirt and shorts, but I braved it)...bam!! 3 wins. Now this could all be coincidence still but...for game one of the ALCS...I decided to switch it up, (new series, gotta find somethin different) i went with BP jersey and jeans...same hat...anyways, we lose...I was crushed...so then, I watch then next game from my apartment in plain clothes, same hat...win, I go home to visit my parents and watch the games with them, win, win,...so i gotta go to puffer's for the possible clincher, right? I decide to go with a replica home jersey, jeans, same hat, same backup...we're in the sixth and we look like we're strugglin right? I was frustrated...so I turn to my buddy, "Should I go home and change?" (He knows about my rituals.) Tells me I had better. So I bolt out of puffer's and run the half block to my house, rip the clothes out of the laundry basket (still not washed) spray on some good smellin stuff and run back to the bar all wrinkled and messy...I walk in the door, go over to my friends...BAMM!!! Crede's game tieing bomb!!! We're goin nuts...the bartender recognizes my outfit and the fact that I changed...high fives all around...the rest of the game was history...i think there was a small effect from the rally hoods my friend's used, and I decided to smoke a cigarette on defense, drink a beer on offense....

so come World Series time...I'll prolly be the only guy wearin shorts in Puffer's

NWSox
10-17-2005, 04:44 PM
All this talk is crazy, but...

I bought the Sox Pride wristbands online in July and my kids and I started wearing them. Things start going poorly after that, and by mid-August, I was ready to throw these things away. But then I worried that throwing them would away would bring really bad luck. In September, I was having daily debates with myself about whether to keep the wristbands or not. I finally decided to stick out through the season and throw them away if they didn't make the playoffs. Now I can't decide if I'm going to wear this thing for the rest of my life or not.:wink:

urbanhack
10-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Last night, I was watching the game in my basement. The Sox were struggling to put runs on the board and when we were down by a run, I was starting to sweat. Crede was at the dish, and a few moments before he homered, my dog, all 115 lbs. of him, lumbered downstairs and sat next to me on the couch. Next pitch, GONE. He eventually bored of the game and went back upstairs only to return with Crede at the plate again. Once again, he climbed up on the couch and Crede delivered the chopper up the middle. I'm normally not a superstitious man, but my dog will have a reserved seat on the couch for the W.S. even if I have to bribe him with Scooby snacks. I'm not taking any chances with my very own rally-mutt!

During game 2 of the ALCS, I turned my Sox hat inside out and tossed it across the room. It landed on top of the lamp, the sox won the game and it's been there since.

wildcat
10-17-2005, 04:49 PM
I bought a ballcap with the 1934 logo on it during the rain delay before the game on Sept. 25. I've worn it for every game since, and they've gone 13-3 in that time. Clearly it's the hat. :smile:

southsidesoxfan1
10-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Pencil I bought from the Cell and scored with from the ALDS games 1 and 2. It's got me through the ALCS, with plenty of bite marks to prove it.:D:

Jurr
10-17-2005, 08:23 PM
My Juan Uribe jersey has been very clutch this post season, and I've been wearing it a lot. I'll be wearing it for game 1 of the series, as we're making the trip to Chicago.

However, the best good luck charm is my maltese, Joey. He wears a Sox bandana, and my girlfriend refers to him as the "Good luck stump". He's such a Sox fan. He gets really worked up when he sees my girlfriend and I go crazy during Sox games.

FedEx227
10-17-2005, 08:27 PM
i actually got a nice little tradition/streak going...

I was at a sox game with my friend and Joe Crede was sucking as usual so I told my friend, "I can't even watch." So I put my head in my hat, next pitch homerun.

Jump ahead of the Cleveland vs. White Sox game (the AJ step off), I do it again Crede hits a bomb in the 5th-6th inning (don't remember exactly). So I hold it off a few at-bats and tell my friends, "No, I'll bring it out when we need it. Its not going to work 3 times, thats impossible." Crede comes up in Extra...I do it...BOOM.

So a nice little thing i got going, unfortunately I've missed the last 3 White Sox homeruns while at the park, but it was worth it all.

zach074
10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
The mess in my room is good luck. Or so i claim.

slobes
10-17-2005, 09:04 PM
A lucky pickle wrapped in napkins. I have been holding onto it for every pitch of the playoffs. I have discovered that it only works if I am wearing a plain white undershirt (I wasn't wearing one in game 1 of the ALCS)

ZachAL
10-17-2005, 09:07 PM
I've been down here at school, but for every game I wear a pair of white shorts, a black Thomas t-shirt jersey under a black Replica no-number jersey and a black sox hat. Hasnt been washed and wont be washed as far as i'm concerned. I came home for game 1 of the ALCS and insisted on wearing the outfit, but it was too cold for the shorts, so i put them on under jeans. Bad move, i guess they need to be visible. If I go to any world series games and you all see a person wearing white shorts on the outside of a pair of pants just stop and say hi.

chitownhawkfan
10-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I usually go with a dirty thirty of Old Style during the game (yes i know its a Cubs beer, but I love it). That has seemed to be working.:gulp:

goofymsfan
10-17-2005, 09:10 PM
My Cat Chloé, who just happens to be black with white socks will jump on to her perch behind my computer chair and nudge to get petted. This seems to bring the Sox good luck. I also wear my Scotty Sox T-shirt that a friend picked up for me when they visited the Cell this summer. I also hold my Scotty All star jersey. There is one other, but I can't reveal it until the WS is over for fear the good luck will fail.

IronFisk
10-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Cowbell. Nuff said.

OEO Magglio
10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I haven't shaved in a good two weeks now, and they are something like 12-1 since I have.
I shaved before game 1 of the alds and haven't since.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-17-2005, 09:41 PM
for yesterday's game i broke out my yellow sox hat with the vienna beef logo on it. i wear it only for extremely special occasions.

Chrisaway
10-17-2005, 09:46 PM
http://tinypic.com/eqp14x.jpg
This old fella.

Realist
10-18-2005, 06:25 AM

I've got my "hockey playoffs" beard going too. I haven't shaven since the day before the Game 1 against Boston.

:dtroll: <----- I wanna look like this guy for Halloween.

boiler up
10-18-2005, 08:14 AM
my buehrle beard

joepoe
10-18-2005, 09:22 AM
I don't believe in charms, luck or curses, although I have a soul patch I started growing the day the Sox clinched against Detroit and have not had the guts to shave off.

TomBradley72
10-18-2005, 09:40 AM
My hat with the logo/symbol from the 1906 World Series. :cool:

Milw
10-18-2005, 11:34 AM
I received a 1919 penny in change the morning that Grady Sizemore lost that ball in the sun. I set the penny aside, watched as the Indians went in a tailspin and the Sox went on a roll and have been nearly unbeatable since.

There ain't no curse of the Black Sox, but if there was, it could only be broken by a circa-1919 Honest Abe. :bandance:

the_valenstache
10-18-2005, 12:24 PM
I've been wearing my '83 Sox wristband since the day they clinched the Central, and it hasn't given me much bad luck since. Simulated picture (only because the real article is much, much filthier):
http://static.zoovy.com/img/snuka/W75-H75-B666666/whitesoxwrist.jpg

May not be as interesting as a magic pickle, but it works for me.

Also, on Sunday night, I was at the bar and in the middle of some vicious high-fiving with my buddy Brian when I ended up slapping off a ring that I've worn on my thumb for about 8 years. I didn't look very hard for it and didn't end up finding it. It has to be a sign.

the gooch
10-18-2005, 12:43 PM
cheerios for breakfast with a glass of instant breakfast.
potbelly's for lunch with a fanta.
i get hungry but dont eat anything else 'til 5.

IronFisk
10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
COWBELL!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/cowbell.jpg

antitwins13
10-18-2005, 02:12 PM
My 1983 replica cooperstown Sox hat. the only time I didnt wear it was game 1 of the ALCS.

I have the same cap and everytime I wore it the Sox won. Whereas everytime I wore the black cap they lost.

Petch
10-18-2005, 02:14 PM
My white socks with the Sox logo on them. I had to go to an audition for a play during the second game of the ALCS and I had to dress nice, which included black socks. I wore the white ones under the black and what happened? A white sox winner.

Southsider101
10-18-2005, 10:25 PM
My 1917 replica cap and a bottle of Goose Island ale.

JRIG
10-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I hate those braclets that seem to be everywhere these days, but my boss bought me a White Sox one while on a trip to Chicago months ago. I told him I'd save it for the playoffs.

So I did, and I put it on the day before the playoffs started. The only time it's been off is when I accidently forgot to put it back on after showering...the day of Game 1 of the ALCS.

It's staying on from now on.

soxfanatlanta
10-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Anybody have a good luck charm while watching the game? I used to wear my Ozzie Guillen autographed hat, but I got something better now. My son was born on October 27 2004 at 9:33PM, which was a significant date and time for two reasons:

1. It was during the hight of the Lunar Eclipse
2. The BoSox were clinching their title.

I'm not normally a superstitious guy, but this kid has to have some mighty good mojo working for him right?

RIGHT?

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1096/2/63/33/73/78/7/778733363203_0_ALB.jpg

p.s. if they win it all, I am going to auction the rights to baby sit the boy. With that kind of luck, every bad-baseball-team-fan will pay top dollar just to be in the same room as him. (Cub fans will have to pay double)
:D: