PDA

View Full Version : Best article by far

32nd&Wallace
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't know how to post links, so here is Mike Inrem's article from the Daily Herald. Anyone who has an ounce of feeling for the White Sox, would be moved by this.

Time fades away as Sox surge ahead

http://www.dailyherald.com/images/mugs/imrem.jpgBy Mike Imrem (http://us.f516.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=mimrem@dailyherald.com)
Daily Herald Sports Columnist
Posted Monday, October 17, 2005

ANAHEIM, Calif. — No, it isn’t 46 years since the last time the World Series graced Chicago.

Couldn’t be, could it?

The White Sox beat the Angels here Sunday night 6-3 to clinch the American League championship. Saturday, they’ll play the city’s first World Series game since 1959.

As the Sox celebrated their pennant on the field at Angel Stadium and in the visitors’ clubhouse, fast and furious flashbacks blurred the scene.

Scott Podsednik was a modern Looie Aparicio, Tadahito Iguchi an imported Nellie Fox. A.J. Pierzynski a rambunctious Sherm Lollar. Mark Buehrle a younger Billy Pierce, Jose Contreras a taller Early Wynn, Paul Konerko a slimmer Ted Kluszewski.

As rain poured down on the celebration outside and champagne did inside, Sox fans in the crowd sang “Na-na-na-na, hey-hey” and chanted, “Let’s go, White Sox!”

Through it all, 46 years ago seemed like yesterday to some of us.

You know, yesterday when boys like me listened to the young Elvis, read “Sport” magazine, sneaked peeks at Playboy, ate penny candy, sat at drug-store soda fountains, dreamed of driving hot rods, wore crew cuts, white T-shirts and blue jeans, enjoyed simpler times.

Yeah, 46 years ago suddenly seems like only yesterday, when baseball was the sport that mattered most and the World Series the event that mattered most.

The Super Bowl wasn’t even a gleam in the NFL’s eye yet, the Final Four wasn’t played in domes, and the NBA Finals weren’t more about music than basketball.

Baseball really was the national pastime and important enough in 1959 that the original Mayor Daley, the real one, commemorated the Sox’ pennant by setting off sirens throughout Chicago.

Then came the World Series. No playoffs to get in, just a direct shot into the greatest show on Earth.

One of our neighbors in Logan Square offered to take me to a Series game. My parents turned him down. A ticket cost $15 if I recall correctly. That was a lot of money, too much, back then.

No big deal. At 14 years of age, you figure there will be countless World Series to attend in Chicago during your lifetime.

Little did we know 46 next years would pass before one of our city’s baseball teams would win another pennant, turning yesterday into this week.

The Sox and Cubs defied the laws of average and logic for decades, squandering opportunity after opportunity, becoming punching bags and punch lines.

Instead of going to see the Sox play the Dodgers for the championship of what was a much larger world in 1959, I listened to Game 1 in French class through the earplugs of a transistor radio.

The World Series — all day games — was so important that televisions were positioned on stages of school assembly halls so students could watch the games during lunch hours.

Yes, it was just yesterday that we woke up in the morning to read — in newspapers rather than on Web sites — details of each game.

We were so much younger then, the last time a Chicago baseball team was in the World Series, but you know what?

We’re younger than that now that the Sox finally, finally, finally managed to produce a sequel to both the Series and our childhood.

“Enjoy it,” Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. “Have a great time.” OK, let’s all light the Chesterfields, chug some Meister Brau and party this week like it’s 1959.

http://www.dailyherald.com/images/spacer.gif