PDA

View Full Version : Should We Add Another Bat for the World Series

FloridaSox
10-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Two of our pitchers, Hermanson and Vizcaino, have not pitched in the playoffs to date. A third pitcher, Marte, distinguished himself by facing three batter and retiring no one.

Do we really need 11 pitchers for the World Series? Or, can we go with 10 and add Russ Gload to the World Series roster?

downstairs
10-17-2005, 09:51 AM
I say we bring our current 14 man roster...

shoota II
10-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Two of our pitchers, Hermanson and Vizcaino, have not pitched in the playoffs to date. A third pitcher, Marte, distinguished himself by facing three batter and retiring no one.

Do we really need 11 pitchers for the World Series? Or, can we go with 10 and add Russ Gload to the World Series roster?

Perhaps we'll need the extra pitcher in the three possible NL games when we'll be pinch hitting for our pitchers.

FloridaSox
10-17-2005, 09:58 AM
My head is starting to hurt as I think of Timo, Blum and Pablo striding up to the plate to pinch hit...Give me another hitter.

gobears1987
10-17-2005, 09:59 AM
My head is starting to hurt as I think of Timo, Blum and Pablo striding up to the plate to pinch hit...Give me another hitter.Frank

Konerkoholic
10-17-2005, 10:03 AM
In all seriousness, is Big Frank eligible to be placed on the WS roster? If he is, I say put him on and give him a PH AB in a game where the Sox are up big. The ovations before and after the AB would be amazing.

gobears1987
10-17-2005, 10:06 AM
In all seriousness, is Big Frank eligible to be placed on the WS roster? If he is, I say put him on and give him a PH AB in a game where the Sox are up big. The ovations before and after the AB would be amazing.As much as I want Frank to make a Kirk Gibson appearance, if it would risk injuring him next year, then don't do it. I want Frank back 100% so he can hit 500 as a Southsider.

cleanwsox
10-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Is Griffey still available?

1951Campbell
10-17-2005, 10:09 AM
But we already have Timo.

johnr1note
10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
If we add a hitter, don't let it be Gload. He's proven to be extremely inconsistent, and I don't want to tempt the hands of fate with the Ex-Cub factor. I would rather have Anderson or (prepare to shudder) Borchard.

Brewski
10-17-2005, 10:28 AM
We seem to be set for any possible situation with regard to utility infielders. One of them could go to make room for a bat. A left handed bat. Ross Gload.

shoota II
10-17-2005, 10:30 AM
In all seriousness, is Big Frank eligible to be placed on the WS roster? If he is, I say put him on and give him a PH AB in a game where the Sox are up big. The ovations before and after the AB would be amazing.

Heavens yes. I miss seeing Frank's rebar in the on deck circle almost as much as his presence in the #3 hole.

http://www.bissettnursery.com/Mason/Images/Misc/rebar_small.jpg

Frank really typifies the South Side of Chicago: A towering man grips one end of a piece of rebar like it's a baseball bat, with the opposite end resting on his broad shoulders. His name is Frank, but his fellow steelworkers call him "Big Hurt."

Unregistered
10-17-2005, 10:35 AM
From the Sun-Times:

LOOKING AHEAD: The Sox aren't willing to talk about it in the middle of the ALCS, but they already are considering their World Series roster. Because pitchers will bat at the National League team's home park, the Sox plan to add a position player and cut the pitching staff back to 10.
The added position player would be used for pinch hitting or in double switches. Left-handed hitter Ross Gload would be the likely candidate. He might take the roster spot of Hernandez if his shoulder isn't healed sufficiently, or Luis Vizcaino could be dropped if McCarthy takes Hernandez's spot.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug16.html

Flight #24
10-17-2005, 11:06 AM
From the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug16.html

I don't see how you can cut El Duque after that Boston performance. Gotta be Vizcaino and then probably Marte, although I could see Hermanson if his back's still making him unreliable.

Unregistered
10-17-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't see how you can cut El Duque after that Boston performance. Gotta be Vizcaino and then probably Marte, although I could see Hermanson if his back's still making him unreliable.Yeah, that was 2 days ago when Duque was having shoulder problems, apparently. Considering he was warming up in the pen last night, I assume he's OK. I was quoting it more for the part that says the Sox will most likely go with 10 pitchers for the World Series, and grab another bat.

Mickster
10-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Is Griffey still available?

:hawk
Where's he gonna play?