PDA

View Full Version : TO BE PUBLISHED!!! This championship is dedicated to...

Pages : [1] 2

supertwangreverb
09-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Who do YOU dedicate this Sox championship to?

Post your sentiments here and see them published in a book dedicated to Sox Fans for the holidays!

White Sox Interactive is cooperating with an independent book publisher to make the posts in this thread available as a book to become a lasting and personal keepsake of what made the 2005 Sox world championship so special. You can have your dedication published by merely adding your sentiments to this thread to be published later this fall.

And here is the best part: 100 percent of the revenue generated by White Sox Interactive is being donated to charity. Furthermore the publisher has pledged a portion of his receipts to the same cause, Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities, in conjunction with Children's Memorial Foundation and the Northwestern Memorial Foundation.

WSI is staffed 100 percent by Sox Fan volunteers. Here is your chance to join us in dedicating this extraordinary Sox baseball season to those most important in your life -- along with hundreds of your fellow Sox Fans -- and see the results help the worthy cause of cancer research here in Chicago.

And yes, the book will be available for sale in time for the holidays. No Sox Fan's sock can truly be filled without this book containing your words of dedication inside.

God Bless our Chicago White Sox and Thank You for helping make this dedication an extra special one!

-- George Bova
on behalf of the the volunteer staff of Sox Fans at White Sox Interactive

Be sure to contact all of your Sox Fan friends and acquaintances and invite them to post their dedication too, while this thread is still open!

HURRY! Thread to be closed Sunday, November 6!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post here, and I do not in ANYWAY intend to bring down the excitement of todays celebrations. I just wanted to address all of those Sox fans who aren't with us today. I for one know growing up on the northside I wouldn't be a Sox fan had it not been for my dad. So wherever your at today Dad, I hope you and Grandpa are enjoying this as much as you and I did in 2000, and 1993. I was only a year old in 1983.

Bill Aqua

PINWHEELS
09-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Great Thread! To My Old Man Who Passed away back in February, He is the reason why I am a Sox Fan!:gulp: :gulp:

Hokiesox
09-29-2005, 06:18 PM
To my professional mentor who chided me (he was a Clevelander). Boy I wish I could chide him right now. He passed on in March.

antitwins13
09-29-2005, 06:20 PM
This is for my grandfather who is a Royals fan to whom I cheered against just to spite him which eventually turned me into being a die hard Sox fan.

Sxy Mofo
09-29-2005, 06:20 PM
My uncle, who took me to sox games when i was a kid back in indiana, died last month. He never got to see a sox championship. Hopefully he'll get to see one real soon from somewhere up there.

MarySwiss
09-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Good thread. I'm sure a lot of us owe our allegiance to our ancestors. My Grandma Boyd has been dead for more than 30 years and my dad for 23, but I have no doubt they're up there right now--probably drinking a Bud with Little Nell and dancing an Irish jig!

Allow me to join you! :gulp:

Edit: Had to add my brother Bobby Boyd, my partner-in-crime, with whom I spent many years going to Comiskey when we were teenagers, hopping on the El after school. The day after the Sox won the 2005 Series, he e-mailed me that he still wasn't totally convinced we'd win!

THAT's a Sox fan! :D:

Edit again: My dad, Rollo Boyd, would have been 83 on October 28, 2005, the day of the rally. And I'm getting the wobbly chin again, on his behalf.

DC Sox Fan
09-29-2005, 06:22 PM
To my grandmother who raised my dad a sox fan which was passed on to me. One of my fave parts of visiting chi-town as a younster was knowing that after the 12 hour drive from hell every summer she'd have the game on the TV for me and fill me in on what I'd missed :gulp:

TommyJohn
09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
To my grandfather Larson, who attended game 1 of the 1959 World Series
with my mother. He was 7 years old when the White Sox won the World
Series in 1917, and died in 1969.

Jurr
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
To my grandpa that started three generations of Sox fandom. He fought in WWII with a Sox pennant in his pack, and he came home to raise my father as a Sox fan. The man passed away in 1990 without ever seeing his boys win a world series. I hope he's got a good seat for what's coming this year.

BarbG
09-29-2005, 09:01 PM
You're going to make me cry people.

To the long list of great Sox fans before us...

Please add my Dad, who shared his love of all things Sox with me, until I was 19...

Dad passed away suddenly on 1/27/83. I'm told the last conversation he had was about an offseason Sox trade. I was so torn apart I couldn't bear to watch one pitch in 1983 and missed the entire season.

He would be ECSTATIC today.

flo-B-flo
To my Dad who when I was 7 years old, whipped out a newspaper from October 1st 1956 with the news of Don Larsen's no-hitter on the back page. This made me a baseball fan. Then he took out the paper with the headline that stated the Sox had clinched in '59. He also showed me the many ticket stubs he had collected from his going to games that year. This made me a Sox fan. He died one month before new Sox park would open. I love you DAD. And I miss you.

SoxandtheCityTee
In 1983 we stood in line at Comiskey all night long to get playoff tickets. Rob kept us laughing and around dawn he went for doughnuts. Gone way too young -- may perpetual light shine upon him.

flo-B-flo
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
You're going to make me cry people ..............I was so torn apart I couldn't bear to watch one pitch in 1983 and missed the entire season. He would be ECSTATIC today. I feel ya. I didn't watch one game that first season in the new park. And he would be yelling and bragging at my c-- fan mother.

OzzieBall
09-29-2005, 09:06 PM
This is one of the more poignant threads I have seen on WSI. Thanks for starting it.

My grandfather, John, one of the orginal dark clouds is watching this and smiling wide. He taught an entire family to root for the sox and we are carrying on his legacy in style.

My aunt Georgeanna, who was taken way too soon from us is smiling at her daughter who is as big a Sox fan as any one of us and has to do deal with all of the Yankee fans she lives near. I hope this gives her some joy as well.

To all of those Sox fans who are thinking of family and friends departed, drink one tonight in honor of them .

For John and Anna :gulp: Go Sox.

bigdommer
09-29-2005, 09:07 PM
To my Grandpa Rocco, who took me to every home game as a kid. He introduced me to the scorecard, the hotdog, and sweet sound of "Harold, Harold!"

Realist
09-29-2005, 09:10 PM
To my mom who will have passed away way too young 3 years ago on October 8th. My bother and I took her to the clincher in '93 and I really miss watching games with her or calling her and asking her what she's doing and getting the reply, "Watching the game".

Hopefully God will give all of our folks that have moved on to better things a few hours off from strumming their harps so they can watch the playoffs with us.

:smile:

[whew. good cry. I think I needed that]

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-29-2005, 09:12 PM
My dad, who was around back in 1959 but never saw them win the World Series. He passed away last year on 5/15 after we watched the White Sox vs Twins. Rarely did we ever get a chance to watch a Saturday night game together, since he was usually at work...

Wsoxmike59
09-29-2005, 09:15 PM
:gulp: I hoist a glass to toast my late father (Red) who died on July 13, 1977. (the night of the famous NY City black-out) I inherited his love of the game and the White Sox. (ironically I was at the Sox game the night he died!)

I'll always have a mental image of my father watching the Sox on the old b/w tv out on the back porch, after a long days work and watching them battle the hated Yankees for the pennant.

Also to my wife's father Rich who died July 18, 1988. Two men who loved their White Sox, and passed the torch on down to their children.

Thanks Dads...for everything, this celebration would be that much sweeter if you were here to enjoy it with us. But I feel you already are!

chisox59
09-29-2005, 09:15 PM
For Nellie Fox, Sherm Lollar, Ted Kluszewski, Bubba Phillips, Billy Goodman, Dick Donovan, Early Wynn, Al Smith as well as the living icons Billy Pierce, Minnie Minoso, Jim Landis and all who made it easy and fun to be a White Sox fan. To Bob Elson and Jack Brickhouse for filling my ears with wonderful moments and telling me the history of the game as they saw it. Lastly to my dad who introduced me to the game and made me a lifelong fan.

chisoxfanforever
09-29-2005, 09:16 PM
To my Dad, who was the only sox fan in a sea of cub fan relatives. And to my Grandpa, who was as much of a diehard fan as I am! Thanks for teaching me to be a sox fan and taking me to Sox games at old Comiskey. I wore my late father's hat to the final home game on Sunday! I will cherish that hat forever. To the 2005 Sox. Thanks for a great summer!! Keep it going through October!

soxjim
09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
To my dad and grandpa thanks for being SOX fans.

Daver
09-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Words cannot describe the feelings I have right now after watching the team I have followed for thirty years finally grasp the Brass Ring, a feat that I sometimes wondered if I would ever see. Thank you uncle Jerry for steering me on the right course early, you took me to see the Sox at Old Comiskey and bitched about Bill Veeck trading away all his decent players, it’s a shame you couldn’t be around when they finally accomplished the goal, I did the next best thing, I wore your hat from 1977 for the final game of the World Series.

spiffie
09-29-2005, 09:53 PM
My grandfather, with whom I watched thousands of Sox games, and with whom the last real conversation I had with him was watching a Sox/Cubs spring training game...I dumped some of his ashes on the dirt in foul ground by 3rd base last year...I like to think he saw everything year, and was yelling at Crede to get his act together the whole time :D:

He'll be in my thoughts on Tuesday...

TornLabrum
09-29-2005, 09:56 PM
To my Grandpa who was a Sox fan very possibly from their start (he was born in 1889) and who told me stories about Ed Walsh, Joe Jackson, and the guy who seemed to me to be his personal favorite, Buck Weaver. When he died in 1972, the Sox were about to reverse their fortunes with Dick Allen, but he didn't live to see it.

TomBradley72
09-29-2005, 10:00 PM
To my sister Sarah who we just lost to leukemia in August. Not the biggest baseball fan in the world...but allowed me to convince all three of my great nieces/nephews to be White Sox fans...and always let me take everyone to a Sox game when they were visiting from Iowa.

She would have been the first one to call me this afternoon.

Vernam
09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
You're going to make me cry people.I know how you feel. Just as I was reading this thread, Fox32 showed Big Frank greeting the guys as they got off the team bus in Chicago, which contributed to my getting choked up a little.

But I'm going to save any tears for the World Series. My dad was born in 1911, died in 1999. Grew up on Leavitt near what is now UIC. Was old enough to remember the 1919 team, and he swore the aftermath of that is what turned him into a diehard. Couldn't help rooting for the underdog, all through the '20s, the '30s, the '40s, the '50s, the '60s, the '70s, the '80s, and the '90s. The '94 season was the last that he managed to follow; after that, Alzheimers prevented him from keeping tabs on the team. The strike made me bitter for a while, I'll admit, because it cancelled any chance he'd see a Series championship.

Now, going to the game with my kids makes us feel connected to my dad. I'm not a mystical person, but I do feel his presence at the park, even though he saw 99 percent of his games across the street at old Comiskey. So I sure hope you all are right, that departed ones will see a championship at last.

Here's one for Jean Shepherd, too. :gulp:

Vernam

ChiSoxGirl
09-29-2005, 10:25 PM
To my maternal grandpa, who I remember sitting on the couch with and watching the Sox with back in the late 80s. He taught me the very basics of baseball- what the R-H-E means in the line score, what a line score even was, and the other basics of the game- and I know he's got to be so proud. He died in 1990 when I was just 10 1/2 years old, so this is the third division championship he's missed, but this is, by far, the most special and the one I think he would've enjoyed the most. When I last visited his grave in July, I said a special prayer to him, thinking to myself, "Grandpa, this season is for you. We're winnin' it all this year."

Uncle_Patrick
09-29-2005, 10:43 PM
My Uncle Bud (my Grandma's younger brother) was the man who encouraged the love of the White Sox in me, my brother (our father is not much of a baseball fan), my uncles, and my cousins. He never had a lot of money, but had season tickets at old Comiskey for many years. He took me to a bunch of Sox games. He never saw a White Sox World Series victory in lifetime (he was born in 1919 and died a few years back), but he always remained faithful to the team, even when the organization took away the seats he had as a season ticket holder for the 1983 playoffs. Like my grandma, he was a life long Southsider (born in the Southside of Chicago, later spend many years in the suburb of Riverdale, where he first lived with my mom's family and later his own). He gave me my first piece of Sox memorablia (a team poster of the 1982 White Sox team which hung on my bedroom wall for several years until my mother decided to through it out). He made me a White Sox fan. Every time the Sox do well, I think of him (along with my grandma, who is, thankfully, still with us and still following the White Sox and who, despite living in a retirement home on the northside, still proudly declares herself a southsider).

nordhagen
09-29-2005, 10:54 PM
I thought of that today myself as I watched and thought of my dad, who took my brother and I to Sox games since they were at night while my mom took us to Cubs games since they were during the day (unfortunately my sister chose the dark side). But we were there in 83 on the night they clinched a tie for the West title and 2 1-2 years later he passed away from brain cancer. I remember having a lot of similar thoughts in the last night game at the old park as the fireworks show was going on. I'm just glad he made sure my brother and I had plenty of chances to see the right team on the right side of town.

ChiSox14305635
09-29-2005, 11:01 PM
To my Dad, who was a huge basketball fan (Lakers of the '70s & '80s, Bulls of the '80s & 90's), but nonetheless, found the time to take me to my first game in 1983. He was as excited when Fisk hit a walk-off shot as I was. It's a moment I'll never forget.

Love you Dad, and I miss you. :smile:

jeremydavid
09-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Dear 2005 Chicago White Sox,

Congrats. You guys have put together an awesome season and gave every SOX fan an amazing ride already. I am writing because I want you to know how much could be won in the playoffs. My grandpa is 80 years old and a life-long diehard SOX fan. He definately gives me an intresting persepective things. South side fans have not had anything to gloat about for his whole lifetime. Please give it all in the playoffs. This is all I ask....

sincerely, jeremydavid

JB98
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
My grandfather was 30 years in old in 1959. When the Sox lost that year, he probably thought there would be other chances to see the team make the World Series in his lifetime. Unfortunately, he died in 1997 and never got another opportunity. My father was six years old in '59. He also never got another chance. He died in 2003.

Even though I'm only 29, I'm going to make sure I enjoy this playoff run because you never know when it might be the last time you see something like this. For many of us, this is an opportunity to erase three or four generations of losing and frustration in our families. Let's hope that our time is now.

Seize the day, and Go Sox!!! :supernana: :supernana:

DumpJerry
09-30-2005, 12:21 AM
My dad who passed away suddenly on Nov. 16 last year. He took me to my first Sox game around 1971, I took him to his last one last June. Big Sox fan all 78 years! This one is for you!

Domeshot17
09-30-2005, 12:29 AM
to my grandma. She may not have been the biggest Sox Fan, or Baseball Fan. But when I was 3 years old, She would wear my dads Sox Hat and pitch to me in the backyard when she was in her 50's (and the unknowing kid I was I made her pick up her leg and wind up like Nolan Ryan). When I was young and had no money, she got us tickets, and she may not have known what was going on or ( as she always loved to joke) who was on first, but she knew I did, and I got to see the likes of Harold Baines Ozzie Guillen and The Big Hurt and Rockin Robin as youngsters. We layed her to rest on Valentines day 2004. I know where ever she is, she doesnt know who Tadahito Iguchi is, or Jose Contreras or Bobby Jenks, but I know it was just it was when I was a kid, she was happy seeing me this happy.

DieTrying79
09-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I love this thread, thank you for starting it.

Grandpa Scotty, I hope you're watching up there. Life long fan, loathed the Cubs, and always loved going to games, even as an old man.

My mom told me a story tonite about how Grandpa took the wife and kids to Comiskey one weekend to sit in the press box area with the rest of the reporters and media (he started out as a young journalist in Joliet, and around the time of his retirement, he was a member of the senior staff at the Gary Post Tribune).

Too many generations of let downs...let's do this thing!

Thank you, White Sox, for some of the happiest moments of my life this season!

GO GO SOX!!

voodoochile
09-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Dad wasn't a big sports fan, but he used to take me to baseball games as a kid. We went to both flubbie and Sox games - actually more flubbie games and I kind of grew up a flubs fan.

Still, I made it out and never looked back. Dad never questioned my change and he really didn't care, but he is a major part of the reason I am such a big sports fan today even if he wasn't. He died in January 1999 and I miss him immensely. He may not care who wins this coming series and I don't believe he's watching me or the games, but if he is somewhere out there, he's smiling because I'm smiling and I'm smiling because of the Sox.

Thanks Dad and of course... GO SOX!

cbone
09-30-2005, 07:20 AM
For my Mom, She passed away last year. I wacthed about a million Sox games with her. I think she's looking down watching every pitch with me.

SoxRulecubsdrool
09-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Mom, Dad and Brother!:gulp:

My Mom was the last to go. Last fall of cancer. I was basically the one that took care of her every day. Stopping in 2-3-4 times a day. Even after the Sox collapsed at the end of the season, she would have the game on every day to the end. Even if it was a lopsided 9-2 score or something like that, she would keep it on.
Sorry you missed this Mom. At least from down here.
You probably got a better view from up there anyway.

ode to veeck
09-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Ode's dad, who started taking him to Sox games and brewery tours with his grandpa and associated cronies from age 6 in 1962, passed away from colon cancer just about 4 years ago. Both dad and grandpa were lifelong southsiders and Sox fans.

Mrs. Ode's dad, who played for the Will County team and single A Sox back in the late 40s, is still alive and well, and celebrating the Sox clinching today. He still has a letter from Rogers Hornsby who was trying to recruit him for the Flubs. Unfortunately, Don had an injury his 1st season on the single A Sox and his dad used it as an excuse to drag him away from the game and put him to work permanently in the family grocery biz. He has been waiting his entire life (well over 70 years) for a Sox WS victory.

The_Floridian
09-30-2005, 08:45 AM
To Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe.

TommyJohn
09-30-2005, 09:36 AM
My grandfather Larson, whom I never knew, was the first person to come to
my mind, but I would be remiss not to mention others.

My father's Aunt Virginia, who was as passionate a White Sox fan as any who
ever lived. She was 7 years old in 1917 and died in 1988. My aunt tells the
story of how she was at a game with "aunt Virge" in the 1960's. Mickey
Mantle came to the plate. A rather big female Yankee fan stood up and
yelled for Mantle to hit a homer. Aunt Virge boomed in her Bea Arthur
voice "Siddown!" and topped it off with a name I won't repeat here.
Then there was the time she mentioned the Sox in a restaurant. A stranger
overheard her and said "the Sox? You have to root for the Cubs. The Cubs
are Chicago's team, Mary!" This started a loud argument during which she
yelled "shut up and eat your soup!" The stranger turned out to be Dizzy
Dean. When she found out and tried to apologize, he told her "you stick
with the Sox."

There is also my grandmother, who died in 2003. Today would have been
her 91st birthday. She was a huge Sox fan until they lost. Then she would
carry on about how it was "all fixed." She would often cite 1919 as proof.
She was in her glory in 1983. The day after Game 4 she rambled on and on
about how "Vegas" had decided who would win and who wouldn't. God, she
drove me crazy. Still, I know that if she were alive today, she would be
happy. Until the Sox lost the first game in the playoffs, that is. Then
everything would be back to being fixed again.

tebman
09-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Wonderful thread. Thanks for starting it.

I think of my Dad, who died in 1969, but took me to Sox games as a kid and introduced me to the beauty of hard work, realisitic expectations, and loud ballpark noises. Also of my grandmother who listened to every game on the radio in the 1970s as her eyesight faded. We had glorious hot-stove arguments about the Sox in those years.

And of course, Bill Veeck. Someone else mentioned his name but it bears repeating. A guy who understood the magic of baseball and, most importantly, understood White Sox fans.

Here's to all of them -- beer drinkers, every one! :gulp:

Saracen
09-30-2005, 10:13 AM
My dad Brendan grew up a couple blocks from Comiskey. He wasn't a big sports fan, but used to tell us stories about how he & the neighborhood kids would climb fences on Comiskey's exterior, all the way up to the roof and sit up there to watch games in the 1940's. "If mom had known, she would have killed us."

And then a couple times a year, he'd take me to a ballgame at the old park. Those were the most fun times I ever had as a kid.

He died 3 years ago, down here in Dallas, but never lost the Southside in him. So here's to you Dad, hope you're looking down and enjoying. :gulp:

FoulTerritory
09-30-2005, 10:26 AM
To my Grandmother who passed away last month. She started the thread of Soxfandom in my family.

CaptainBallz
09-30-2005, 10:35 AM
To Grandpa Joe who passed in 2001. Migrated his whole family, including my mother, from Ireland to the South Side in the 1960's. A loyal Sox fan every moment since.

Hopefully, this is the year we've been waiting for Grandpa!

supertwangreverb
09-30-2005, 12:56 PM
What a way to start off my first post on theis forum. Looks like everyone has similar stories, and although it's sad to not have these people with us, it make this years season even more emotional, and fun... which is good. I'll never forget that 2000 season with my Dad as long as I live. We've got a neighbor who's on the Sox(can't say who) and we had great seats and parking that year.

Was anyone else at the game last Sunday? I've been to a few games after my dad died, but this one was extremly emotional for some reason. They played the "best of 2005 clips" on the scoreboard prior to the game and for some reason I just teared up. I thought it was pretty cool that Paulie, A.J, Rowand, and some other players stood out on the field and watched it as well. Something in the air that game!

Bill Aqua

tacosalbarojas
09-30-2005, 01:02 PM
How about a hoist for George Burns, the wheelchair-bound fan who passed last summer? I know you're up there, buddy. See if you and my old man who left us on September 28, 1993 (yeah, that date is right, he waited until just after we clinched in '93), can get on a cloud and knock a few balls the White way these next two weeks!

Muopsies
09-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Uncle Jim and Grandpa Bob are very pleased I'm sure, now help em win it all.

24thStFan
09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for making me a Sox fan, Dad. I miss watching the games with you. I’m passing on our love for the Sox to your granddaughters, and this year they have really started to understand what it means to be a Sox fan.

- For “Butch” (1925-2002)

XplodingScorbord
09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Was anyone else at the game last Sunday? I've been to a few games after my dad died, but this one was extremly emotional for some reason. They played the "best of 2005 clips" on the scoreboard prior to the game and for some reason I just teared up. I thought it was pretty cool that Paulie, A.J, Rowand, and some other players stood out on the field and watched it as well. Something in the air that game!

I was there, and agree...there was definitely some special energy in the park that day. I was wishy-washy about whether to go to the game, because I live in Iowa, and needed to be back that night, so it was going to be a whirlwind. Once at the park, I was SO glad I went because of the vibe there. Those "best of 2005" clips gave me chills.

My dad is still alive, so I can't participate in that part of this thread, although I would like to publicly acknowledge him. He's more of a Cub fan, and we took in more than a couple of games at Wrigley. But he was more than willing to oblige me when I stumbled upon the greatness that is the White Sox, and took me to many games there. And he was very excited to go when I invited him to one of the games against the Royals earlier in Spetember.

Gotta love dads who love baseball!

sageofthesox
09-30-2005, 01:54 PM
To my Dad (1920-1999) who only saw one World Series in his lifetime.

I remember him calling me into the living room (laqte '50's and early '60's) whenever an animated Hamms Bear beer commercial was on TV between innings. And I remember sitting out in the backyard with him on hot summer nights listening to Bob Elson.

After the clincher in 1959, he pop opened a Hamms, and he slipped me an ice cream bar to celebrate.

He took me to my first game – a twi-night DH with the Red Sox in 1965. We went to many more, including the final game in old Comiskey which was played 15 years ago today.

When I was a teenager and young adult, we had our differences, like all fathers and sons. But when it came to the White Sox, we stood on common ground.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-30-2005, 02:49 PM
To Uncle Chester. He was a big, tough (mean when he drank, which was often) SOB who never talked much to anyone. But people used to be amazed at the long conversations he had with me as a nine year old kid during family gatherings! He talked to me and treated me like an adult because I knew his passion almost as well as him, the White Sox of course. It was the first time I remember any adult having serious conversations with me, an adult who truly cared what I thought about anything. That alone was so neat, even outside of the subject matter. My dad to this day is amazed at the relationship we had, nobody else ever got through to him. Even his wife!

4th Gen. Sox Fan
09-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Have to thank my great-grandfather for rooting for Luke Appling over 80 years ago, my grandfather, my uncle Myron and of course my Dad (1951-2005) who passed away in January. For making all of us (uncles and cousins) die-hard Sox fans. (hence the name)
I wont forget the endless discussions about the Sox. The closest Dad ever got to the feeling of what it might be to a White Sox Championship, was how giddy he and my brother and I were when the flubs blew game 6 and lost game 7 in 03'.
My brother whtesoxfan4ever, at our Fathers memorial, which on that day had bad weather with lake effect snow and wind and icey roads, and my brother opened his speech with 'Well it looks like Dad was given two options today for his memorial, One, he could have a beautiful sunny day or the White Sox could win the pennant, I think we know which one Dad picked.' That got a good laugh and cheer from a lot of us and with the way the season has gone I hope that its more than just a pennant, but a WS Title. This season is for you Dad.

crazyozzie02
09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
This ones for my Grandfather, who died of cancer a year and a half ago. Even though he was a CUBS fan, i can still remember the good times that we had on Saturday nights watching the sox when they were on wgn. He always gave me hell, but this is the man who taught me about the game of baseball, and he always wanted to see me happy. I think in a part he helped the sox get over their hump. Thank you grandpa. This ones for you :gulp: :whiner:

DannyCaterFan
09-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Have to thank my great-grandfather for rooting for Luke Appling over 80 years ago, my grandfather, my uncle Myron and of course my Dad (1951-2005) who passed away in January. For making all of us (uncles and cousins) die-hard Sox fans. (hence the name)
I wont forget the endless discussions about the Sox. The closest Dad ever got to the feeling of what it might be to a White Sox Championship, was how giddy he and my brother and I were when the flubs blew game 6 and lost game 7 in 03'.
My brother whtesoxfan4ever, at our Fathers memorial, which on that day had bad weather with lake effect snow and wind and icey roads, and my brother opened his speech with 'Well it looks like Dad was given two options today for his memorial, One, he could have a beautiful sunny day or the White Sox could win the pennant, I think we know which one Dad picked.' That got a good laugh and cheer from a lot of us and with the way the season has gone I hope that its more than just a pennant, but a WS Title. This season is for you Dad.

I remember that memorial service very well, and think of your Dad often, since he passed away in January. I was one of his best friends during his college years. I have often referred to him and the influence he must have upstairs since the Sox have had such a great year. Thank's Greg for making this happen. I know you are enjoying this, and I also know you will be At US Cellular this Tuesday and Wednesday in spirit. I only wish your family and I could share the time with you.
Your Dad and I went to many Sox games thoughout the early seventies, usually cutting classes to get there. He was a GREAT guy.
If you still don't know who I am, I am the Father of your Cousin Terry's best friend Steve.
If you ever want to hear some great stories about your dad, feel free to write.
Rick

crazyozzie02
09-30-2005, 05:46 PM
OH YEAH. I FORGOT ONE THING.......

BEST THREAD EVER :threadrules:

robiwho
09-30-2005, 06:18 PM
My grandparents -- Kate, Murph, Marge and Pat -- Sox fans all. I keep thinking how much they would love this!

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2005, 06:54 PM
My Grandfather who was born in 1918 - 1 year after our last World Series. He stayed overnight with me in 1983 to get Playoff tickets and went with me to many games as a child and I will always remember those great games played by the greatest team - The Chicago White Sox.

I'm sure he'll buy a round in heaven when they win it all!!!

ClaudelSleptHere
10-01-2005, 12:10 AM
To my grandfather John who turned my dad into the Sox fan that he is today.

Thanks for starting one of the best threads I have ever seen.

I am making it a point to watch these playoff games with my 83 year old father. This is going to be a special year.

Viva Medias B's
10-01-2005, 12:16 AM
To grandfather Walter, who was born in 1906 and left us in 1988. He was a second generation Lithuanian who set the course of our family's following the White Sox. Also, of course, to my mother who left us four years ago.

zeker434
10-01-2005, 01:38 AM
To my mom, who grew up a couple of blocks from Comiskey Park in the 1920's, and passed away in March.

24thStFan
10-01-2005, 07:51 AM
I had my wife (a good Irish girl from the Southside) read this thread and she was so moved she asked if she could post something about her grandma, Jean. So here is her "guest post":

When I was 10 or 11 years old I was in my grandma Jean's bedroom (we had just moved to Glenwood from Riverdale). She was the only one with a TV in the house (a tiny little black and white - this was 1966 or 67 mind you). As I was curling her hair she was intensely watching a baseball game. I, being clueless to the game of baseball, asked her how she knew who to root for. She looked at me in disbelief and simply said, "The SOX of course." Needless to say I've been a SOX fan ever since. Know you're smiling Jean - love you!

Shafe72
10-01-2005, 08:50 AM
To my late grandfather, the Reverend Howard Calvin Shaffer, Jr., who passed on in the spring of '94...he was an All-American at West Virginia and a semi-pro pitcher, facing many Negro League teams in the '30's. He thought it was great when my dad started taking us to games on the Southside, where so many of the players he had faced got to showcase their skills at the old park. He also praised my dad for buying scalped playoff tickets for the sold-out Toronto series in '93, just six months before he passed away. My dad had never spent so much money for a sports event, and the Sox lost, but it was worth every penny.

I know he's watching with my late Grandmother, Elinor Best, who's pulling for the Yankees, and his second wife (my late step-grandmother), Shirley Kimball, who's pulling for the Red Sox...he probably feels pulled in several different directions...but I know that a big part of him is thinking about my dad, my brothers, and me, and how much this means to all of us, and that his heart is with the White Sox this year. Plus, he always loved watching teams with great pitching, and it really can't get much better than the 2005 White Sox!!

Everytime I watch a game I think of him, and I'll be thinking of him now more than ever these next few weeks.

sageofthesox
10-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks to all of you who have posted these great stories. I've read and enjoyed them all.

Here's to all those loved ones who would have enjoyed this season so much.

Cheers!

Fenway
10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
One year ago a poster on the Red Sox message board Sonsofsamhorn.com started a thread during the ALCS to urge the other members of the message board, some 1,900 strong, to do the same –urging the Red Sox to win it for the special people in their lives who had loved the team through thick and thin.

From the grateful man who lost his brother in Okinawa 60 years ago to the sibling who dedicated a Sox victory to her brother who perished on September 11, 2001, there were scores of tributes from the populace of Red Sox Nation, young and old.

Needless to say it worked :smile:

So I start this thread in the hope that the same mojo will work for the White Sox.

I wrote this one year ago

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=517925&postcount=1

I just hope that my Chicagoland friends ( on the SOUTH side ) will feel like I do this morning in a not too distant season.

So White Sox, win it for Bill in Oak Park, Steve in Wilmette, Irv in Rogers Park who I have gone to so many games on 35th St with

For the 2 guys that befriended me after a Good Friday afternoon game in April of 1981 when over 30,000 White Sox fans attended church on 35th St.

For all the nameless White Sox fans I have met over the past 25 years....Go White Sox raise the gonfolon over 35th St

Unregistered
10-16-2005, 12:30 PM
**** that. I say win it for one of the best hitters in the history of the game: Frank Thomas.

swanson24
10-16-2005, 12:35 PM
I want the White Sox to win it for my Grandpa Matthew Brown who was a great fan and always cheered on the Sox. He passed away 14 years ago but I know if hew were here right now he would be watching the games with me with a big smile on his face.
:cool:

Deuce
10-16-2005, 12:39 PM
You gotta do it for the Gipper...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/reagan_ronald/gfx/reagan_gipper_ap5916139.jpg

Deuce

The_Floridian
10-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe. Double Duty was a legendary star in the Negro Leagues and a frequent attendee at Sox games. He was always there for the games puffing on a big cigar. He passed away this August at the age of 103. I wish he could have seen this.

But for all the White Sox greats, living and deceased...Nellie and Luis, Billy Pierce and Gerry Staley and Dick Allen and Luke Appling and the South Side Hitmen, the Winning Ugly Crew and everyone who ever put on the uniform.

For Minnie Minoso. For Bill Veeck. For the Big Hurt.

And on and on and on....

michned
10-16-2005, 01:04 PM
fen, I thought about posting a thread like this if the White Sox won it all as a remembrance, but since you've got the ball rolling...

I know I'm not alone in this line of thinking. For this whole run I just can't stop thinking about my Dad and how I wish he were here right now. So for him...

http://www.eddieknet.com/chet.jpg

santo=dorf
10-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe. Double Duty was a legendary star in the Negro Leagues and a frequent attendee at Sox games. He was always there for the games puffing on a big cigar. He passed away this August at the age of 103. I wish he could have seen this.

took mine, so I'll say do it for Chico. :cool:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-16-2005, 01:17 PM
For my Dad, who passed away in January

RKMeibalane
10-16-2005, 01:19 PM
For PaleHoseGeorge, FarWestChicago, Daver, Voodochile, and rest of the WSI Moderator Staff, who have given us this wonderful place to talk about our Sox. Thanks, guys!

The_Floridian
10-16-2005, 01:24 PM
For PaleHoseGeorge, FarWestChicago, Daver, Voodochile, and rest of the WSI Moderator Staff, who have given us this wonderful place to talk about our Sox. Thanks, guys!

Hell yeah. Thank you and thank you again for keeping this site up. I raise frosty malted beverages in your general directions. :gulp:

The Racehorse
10-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Not sure if I'm in the minority when I say that I could care less about nostalgic lore of the past regarding the fans... I just want our guys to win it for themselves.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Win it for my dad, who passed away on October 3rd.
Win it for Ozzie, for instilling the hard-work ethic in the team.
Win it for themselves, for working so hard to get to this point.

Lastly, win it for us cause it's our turn, dammit!

Fuller_Schettman
10-16-2005, 01:34 PM
For this fella
http://www.newberryphotography.com/photos/daley.jpg

And for his dad and all of the Mayors of the City I Love that were Dye-Hard Sox fans.

If it weren't for dem, dese guise wooden be over by dere!

johnny bench
10-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Not sure if I'm in the minority when I say that I could care less about nostalgic lore of the past regarding the fans... I just want our guys to win it for themselves.

Amen. Win it for your own damnselves.

And then with a little luck you can spend the rest of your life after baseball re-selling and re-telling the memory of your historic victory just like any number of members of the 1985 Bears team.

Fuller_Schettman
10-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Amen. Win it for your own damnselves.

And then with a little luck you can spend the rest of your life after baseball re-selling and re-telling the memory of your historic victory just like any number of members of the 1985 Bears team.

Teal or not, that remains my greatest sports memory. My first championship. You never forget your first.

But that memory will soon be eclipsed by something greater...

Soxmissy
10-16-2005, 01:40 PM
For My Husband who passed away last May.:(:

Fuller_Schettman
10-16-2005, 01:41 PM
For My Husband who passed away last May.:(:

May he rest in peace.

God bless you!

bayzbol44
10-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Win it for Johnny!

Win it for the whole damn White Sox Nation!!! We have been waiting a long time!

Fuller_Schettman
10-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Win it for Johnny!

No offense, but could we not use "White Sox Nation"¿

Just too close to the Red Cubs

SOXintheBURGH
10-16-2005, 01:49 PM
No offense, but could we not use "White Sox Nation"¿

Just too close to the Red Cubs

:churrosarmy: :army

MiamiSpartan
10-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Win it for ME! I've been a fan for 30 years....

Tonite it's all about ME!!:D: :bandance: :bandance:

TomBradley72
10-16-2005, 02:03 PM
For Luke Appling
For Nellie Fox
For Luis Aparicio
For Billy Pierce
For Al Lopez
For Bill Veeck
For Charley Lau
For Loren Babe

Bobby Thigpen
10-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Win it for yourselves, but I would like them to win not for my enjoyment, but for my dad, who's been a fan since 1955. He became a Sox fan to tick off my aunt who was a Yankee fan. He later passed the disease on to me after I tried to deny it my first 14 years on the planet.

I'd love to pick up the phone tonight and have the voice on the other end, for once, not say "God they f'ing suck!!".

Go Sox!!

hsnterprize
10-16-2005, 02:17 PM
First and foremost, the Sox should win the pennant for themselves. They've scrapped, clawed, and worked like crazy to get to this position. Of course we fans will enjoy it, but they definitely deserve to enjoy this occasion.

They should also win this for...the fans who've believed in this team since day one,

...the people who've been suffering without a pennant since they were alive to see the "Go Go Sox" win in '59

...the people like me who weren't alive back then, but can almost feel the same excitement and say, "So this was how it was back then?"

...the skeptics who believed this team wouldn't finish higher than 3rd in the division. Why? So the skeptics can choose their crow to be either original or extra crispy

...the people who've constanly dissed the Sox, the fans, the ballpark, and the neighborhood nearby. Why? So all the Wrigley and Fenway lovers can see that it's not about an old ballpark or a trendy bar scene across the street, but a team that gives its all on the field where it counts the most

...and so on, and so on, and so on.

We've said since day one this team deserves respect. Now, the Sox are in a position where they'll get it and then some. Finish the job in Anaheim, Pale Hose!!!!! Come home a pennant winner, and I'll guarantee you the turnout at Midway welcoming you back will be HUGE!!!!!!!

Let's go, Go Go White Sox...this fan, and millions of others, are proud of you!!!

pudge
10-16-2005, 03:40 PM
As much as I hate to follow the trend (heck, that's why I'm a White Sox fan), I have to do what so many others have done and dedicate the 2005 championship to Grandpa. He covinced my mom to let me skip school back in 1990 for the last Opening Day at Old Comiskey Park. He drove me from Tampa to Sarasota to watch a Spring Training game in the late '80s. He sat through rain delays and double-headers. He passed away shortly after the Sox were eliminated in the 1993 ALCS, and I remember him saying, "We'll get 'em next year." Of course, the strike of '94 prevented that team from having a shot, but twelve years later, the '05 Sox finally did it. I'm sure Grandpa is smiling somewhere.

naprvllesoxfan
10-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Win it for all of us sox fans who have been devoted for years! And for my dad and grandpa, who taught me to be a sox fan!

joejacksonsdad
10-16-2005, 03:47 PM
For my dad who was there in '59 who made me a Sox fan, and for my son who I hope will be a Sox fan.....

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Win it for Jerry and Kenny....finally show the baseball world champions cannot be bought...they're earned.

Hondo
10-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Obviously they should win it for themselves first and foremost. But i'd like to see them win it for guys like the 95 year-old they interview during game 1 of the ALCS I believe. His name escapes me.

And for those like my first nephew/godson Matthew Nicholas (Matty) born Sep. 15. This kid has been a friggin good luck charm since he got here.

soxfan26
10-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Win tonight for my Dad who represents the loyal Sox fans that have been waiting since 1959.

Keep on winning for my daughter and all the Sox fans that will be too young to remember this magical summer.

GO SOX!!!

gaelhound
10-16-2005, 04:17 PM
For my Father and our Sunday routine. Mass at Immaculate Conception. Breakfast at David's, McCuddy's would open at Noon. Francine McCuddy for the first beer and pop of the day. Virginia would serve the hot dogs. The little guy servicing the back bar, a bat boy in the 30S, I think his name was Sharkey. Ronny the bookie with the great tier 4 seats. So many great Sox fans in the beer garden. Willie the peanut man. I love this team and I always will.
Thank you for the look on Katie's face when I woke her to tell her the magic number was now zero and that the Chicago White Sox were World Champions.

pinwheels3530
10-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Win it for me & family!!!

chidavid18
10-16-2005, 04:24 PM
A ten year season ticket holder and a White sox fan his whole life when his whole famliy besides him likes the team that plays on the nourth side. He sold beer for the cubs and white sox in 1969 and watched the cubs choke in frount of him and has not been there since. Go White Sox.

harwar
10-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Win it for someone who's failing health may keep them from cheering on the White Sox for another year.
Win it for the long-suffering fan who has known mostly misery during the baseball season and has the ulcers to prove it.
Win it for the person who thought they raised their daughter right,only to see her marry a die-hard cub fan.
Win it for the person who hates computers but goes to a baseball message board each day because they cannot get enough of the White Sox.
Win it for all of the fans who gave up in anger and frustration only to come back because they just couldn't stay away.
Win it for all of the White Sox fans everywhere who NEVER GAVE UP.
Win it for the city of Chicago.
Win it because the future is now and we may never pass this way again.
Go White Sox ..................Win or Die Trying...

house215
10-16-2005, 04:51 PM
My Uncle Steve was the biggest Sox fan I ever knew. He passed away on July 13, 2004. I miss him and can't help but think how excited he would be if he was still with us now... GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOXSINCE'70
10-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Win it for the long suffering Sox fans and the players who gave
their all but fell short (I.E.-Thomas,Hoyt,Burns,Fisk).

Shafe72
10-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Win it for someone who's failing health may keep them from cheering on the White Sox for another year.

Win it for my uncle, Charles, who was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease at age 62 (way the **** too early). He and my Dad took me to my first game (an extra inning affair in '84 with Vance Law hitting a walk-off HR). I'll never forget the fireworks and my uncle's excitement. He lives in Virginia, where they didn't have any MLB teams, and always liked the White Sox and applauded my Dad and my brothers and me for our loyalty and dedication.

He probably can't remember going to that came, and after all is said and done this post season, may not remember much of 2005 due to the Alzheimer's.
I hope I can send him a newspaper clipping from a significant clinching victory so he can have it as a keepsake.

Uncle Charles was a catcher (and also a cornerback) at Ohio Wesleyan and always had a deep love and reverance for the game, which is still a very special part of his relationship with my Dad. This love was passed on seamlessly to my younger brothers and me, as we live in 3 different cities (Boston, NYC, and Houston) but remain as close as ever.

Also, win it for Ray Schalk, Sherm Lollar, Carlton Fisk, and AJ Pierzynski, and all other catchers who have showed such strong leadership and tenacity over the years.

GO WHITE SOX!! It's OUR turn!!

veeter
10-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Since the team is really a family, they are first off winning it for themselves. But surrounding the team is the support system, us fans, that pay their salaries, cheer them on and defend the White Sox name to whoever will listen. So, White Sox, win it for all fans and players ever associated with Chicago's American League Ballclub.

goodsy72
10-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Win it for Johnny!

This is your one get out of jail free card, It's not White Sox nation it's:
:churrosarmy:

Now win this thing for the South Side, Chicago, yourselves and long suffering Sox fans everywhere.

zach074
10-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Win it for everyone to young to have heard those air raid sirens in 59.

Wsoxmike59
10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
George Burns. He was the young black guy you'd see him at the park all the time, in his Sox hat and jersey, oh and in his wheel chair.

He was always a pleasure to talk to, and he never bitched about his fate. I always enjoyed the story he told me how he became a Sox fan.

He used to be a Cub fan until they traded his favorite player, 2-time batting champion Bill Madlock. Then the Cubs brought in an aging Bobby Murcer and gave him the same money Madlock was asking for, but Wrigley was denying!!

He switched over to the Sox and NEVER looked back. I wish George could've lived to see this!!

R.I.P. George, you'll never be forgotten! This one's for you. :gulp:

pissonthecubs
10-16-2005, 05:31 PM
My Dad Dave Sr., who passed away Feb. '04 at 50. This without a doubt would be a team he would be proud of to root for. I know he's up there with his Dad both with their Sox hats on cheering them on!

illini81887
10-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Just win it. I dont care who the hell for

The Racehorse
10-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Earlier in this thread, I may have came across as callous regarding my fellow fans. If our Sox can clinch the ALCS, then perhaps win the WS, the human interest stories [Sox fans waiting since 1919 & 1959] will be just as compelling as last years stories involving Red Sox fans. I know I used the phrase "could care less"... but my intent was dismissing artificially manufactured stories that are sure to come - and are pretty much already here - [curse of shoeless Joe, curse of the Black Sox, blah, blah, blah] and not dismissing true Sox fans who've waited patiently for far too long a time...

I still want our guys to NOT pay attention to the media and win it for themselves FIRST... everything afterward is gravy.

antitwins13
10-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Win it for John Rooney!

SweetnesSox
10-16-2005, 05:52 PM
win it for everyone at WSI. the greatest sox fans I've ever met (even if it's just on the computer for now) you guys rox my sox.

TheDarkGundam
10-16-2005, 10:10 PM
c'mon guys, win it for the Hawk.

But especially, win it for my Dad. He was just a kid in 1959, and has been a Sox fan ever since. Needless to say, he raised me right :cool: . (My sister though, is another story:smile: )

chisox83
10-16-2005, 10:17 PM
great post. and i'd like to say for my dad as well. he passed away 6 years ago, and he'll be the reason i shed tears when they win. there is no one i would have rather shared a celebratory beer and hug with. for you pops! :gulp:

soxjim
10-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Dad you all ways said son "Have patience and your dreams will come true". Well you were right the SOX are in the world series. Even though you are no longer with us. You are sharing in this victory.

Viva Medias B's
10-17-2005, 12:15 AM
...Luke Appling, Nellie Fox, Chico Carrasquel, Sherm Lollar, Al Smith, Pat Kelly, Double Duty Radcliffe, Richard J. Daley, Willie Thompson, and all the other members of the White Sox family who are celebrating with us in spirit tonight.

veeter
10-17-2005, 12:16 AM
How about former Governor Jim Thompson.

Viva Medias B's
10-17-2005, 12:18 AM
How about former Governor Jim Thompson.

Is see where you are going here, but I was talking about those who have not lived to see this moment.

LuvSox
10-17-2005, 12:18 AM
It's funny how 88 years can come and go without notice. Many of us thought we would never see a World Champion on the southside. Many of us never did.

We still call him "The Old Man". He grew up a south sider, 71st St. to be exact. He had many things going on in his young life, some not so pleasent. Raised by a single mother for a time, moved to Texas and back all before the age of 16. He was a White Sox fan. Born in 1936, he saw some horrible baseball teams, all the while staying faithful to the Sox.

Life eventually took him to Calumet City, to start a family. Deciding to live the American dream, he took his wife and two boys to Lansing, built a house there. In '69 he added two more boys to the roster. Before you could blink an eye, 1974 had rolled around. He moved his family to Indiana to avoid the property taxes of Cook County. What did he bring with? Four more Sox fans.

My earliest memories of the Sox begin around 1974, the red uniforms, Wilbur Wood and Bucky Dent. It was always "Go Sox" in our house, nothing else. Baseball season was 6 months of heaven, the smell of freshly cut grass, the "pop" of a fastball in that old Rawlings glove. A great time to be a kid.

In March of 1977 "The Old Man" passed, leaving a young family in some dire times. No real fault of his, he just worked way too hard, putting his family before his own health. He died just a few weeks before one of the most fun years in recent Sox fan memory. He never saw the South Side Hitmen. What fun he would have had that summer.

The White Sox had minor success in the years to follow. Winning Ugly in '83, 1993's Good Guys, the over achieving 2000 team. Knowing him, he would've had fun with us cheering for these teams that were doomed, hoping and praying from the bottom of his heart that each of these was "The Year".

As the 2005 season progressed, as the momentum built, I had but one person in mind. As the wins added up, something told me this was the year, the year the Sox would win it all for my dad. I was right. Finally.

Of course I hope they repeat, again and again. But if they don't win it all right away, the years between 2015 and 2020 would make a nice fit. You see, my kids will be able to remember clearly what a Sox championship meant to me, something I wasn't able to do for my dad.

This one's for you Old Man.

I cheered for you.

I cried for you.

I hugged my kids for you.

veeter
10-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Is see where you are going here, but I was talking about those who have not lived to see this moment. For everyone who fought the good fight for the Sox but didn't get to feel this great.

IotaNet
10-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Bill Veeck.

Wherever he is, I'm sure he's smiling that HUGE grin of his and drinking an appropriate beverage!

Hondo
10-17-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a bat with Willie Thompson and Carlton Fisk's autograph.
Willie was friends with my dad. And he got me a signed Fisk bat. Pudge wasn't much of an autograph guy.
For Willie to do that...incredible.
I'm forever in his debt and I hope he knows what that meant to me.

Ron Karkovice
10-17-2005, 12:29 AM
I feel bad Frank Edward Thomas Jr. can't be a bigger part in this!

This win is for him! Greatest player in White Sox history.

ShoelessJoeS
10-17-2005, 12:30 AM
For my grandpa, who took me to my first game!

:gulp: this one's for you

FedEx227
10-17-2005, 12:30 AM
My grandfather, the reason I'm a White Sox fan today, while you didn't get to see this moment, you were able to see the 59 year and raise my dad as a sox fan, he then raised me and I promise to raise all the future generations.

gosox83
10-17-2005, 12:32 AM
George Burns!!

The Biggest Die Hard Fan Ever! Period.

Wish He Could Be Here To See This!!!!

Go Sox

2005 American League Pennant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJLove23
10-17-2005, 12:34 AM
My brother Jimmy, My mom, and her ancestors (and sorry for being so selfish, but ME!!!!)

And also John Cusack

Hondo
10-17-2005, 12:35 AM
This win is also for Matthew Nicholas Riordan. The newest member of our family and my first nephew/godson. He joined us Sep. 15 and has been a good luck charm since.
He's been a blessing in so many ways and I had a picture of him in his White Sox cradle I made with the Sox blanket my mom made surronded by hats, bibs, a pacifier and a White Sox doll surrounding him.
It sat there on top of my entertainment center the whole time.
I looked over to him and said, "Matty we need something here"
And boy did we get it.

ChiSoxPatF
10-17-2005, 12:51 AM
For each and everyone of us, and our loved ones, who have cheered, cried, sweat, bled, lived and died by our beloved White Sox for all these years.

Dancin' Homer
10-17-2005, 12:58 AM
for Grampy, thanks.

for Uncle Rich, okay they didn't re-sign Big Klu, but they finally got back to the Series.

Iwritecode
10-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Win it for me just because I'm a selfish bastard...

Seriously, I found the White Sox almost completely on my own. For whatever reason I never had a friend or family member that introduced me to them on TV or radio or took me to my first game where I fell in love with them. I just loved the game of baseball and they are the team I started following.

I guess if I really want to get I have to give credit to my best friend. A Cubs fan. :o:

We used to play baseball on my old NES and he would always choose to be the Cubs. Well since I also wanted to stay loyal to my home state, I always choose the Sox. The rest, as they say, is history...

So as strange as it sounds: Win it for my friend the Cubs fan. Cause without him I wouldn't be where I am today. :wink:

TheOldRoman
10-17-2005, 02:24 AM
Win it for the 1959 team.
Win it for all the teams that couldn't advance - 1983, 1993, 2000.
Win it for all the great teams that fell short - 1964, 1977, 1994, etc.
Win it for all the older fans who watched Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford break their hearts and end their dreams year after year.
Win it for Minnie.

Stroker Ace
10-17-2005, 02:38 AM
DO it for ME! Do it so I can finally make my yankmee and blowsawks shut up, and so the cub fan's pain becomes even worse.

MUsoxfan
10-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Alex and Ursula Snelius......I think she made a deal with the Good Lord:smile:

silhouette
10-17-2005, 05:31 AM
For my uncle who was a die-hard Sox fan, wish that he was around to see it.

For my nephew who's currently serving our country in Iraq.

Sox&Springsteen
10-17-2005, 05:54 AM
For each and everyone of us, and our loved ones, who have cheered, cried, sweat, bled, lived and died by our beloved White Sox for all these years.

Yes, yes, yes! And, as others have said, for my grandfather, who emigrated from County Cork, Ireland, to the South Side of Chicago in I think about 1913. He never learned to drive a car, but he did learn to love the Chicago White Sox. I thank him and those of his generation who handed down their rabid and unrepentant love for the White Sox (and hatred of the Chicago Cubs--it's part of the tradition), and remember him especially during this magical season.

For my dad for preserving this tradition by taking me to so many White Sox games when I was growing up despite the long trek--both geographically and culturally--from the Bulls/Bears/Cubs miasma of the Northwest suburbs, and for never ever taking me to see a game at Wrigley Field.

I also think especially of Bill Veeck, who kept our White Sox in Chicago when they were on the verge of being moved to Florida or Colorado.

Bucky F. Dent
10-17-2005, 08:37 AM
For my Dad who took me to my first game.

I'm sure he had a pretty darn good view from up there!

Over By There
10-17-2005, 08:56 AM
For Grandpa. Sitting around, listening to games on his transistor radio with him put the White Sox in my blood. I'm sure he's up there somewhere, wearing his 1917 cap, rooting the boys on.

Fenway
10-17-2005, 09:06 AM
have to keep this going for the mojo to work Magic Number is 4

Win it for John Kinsella, his son Ray and daughter in law Annie.

Win it for Joe and Buck to ease their pain

John Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0113474/): Is this heaven?
Ray Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000126/): It's Iowa.
John Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0113474/): Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.
[John starts to walk away]
Ray Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000126/): Is there a heaven?
John Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0113474/): Oh yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.
Ray Kinsella (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000126/): Maybe this is heaven.

MeteorsSox4367
10-17-2005, 09:07 AM
For Grandpa. If he doesn't make his son a Sox fan, then his son doesn't make his son a Sox fan and then I would have been deprived of this feeling of wonderful numbness and shock that the CHICAGO WHITE SOX have won the 2005 American League pennant.

Wow! Just wow!

archangelgabe66
10-17-2005, 11:02 AM
The season is my Dad, Carmelo. He would have loved watching this team because of the way they played. I wish he would have been here to share this with us. My brother, my niece and nephew, and I learned to love sports. He taught how to play to the game, and this team plays the way he would have loved to see it played.

I hope that the White Sox win the Series, so I could remember Dad like I do now.

WIN OR DIE TRYING!

It's not just a marketing slogan; it's a lifestyle.

Dad would agree.

CJLove23
10-17-2005, 11:05 AM
What a sad thread! :whiner::whiner: I'm teary eyed reading all of these :(:

SALUKIS15
10-17-2005, 11:10 AM
For my brother who would be here watching the game with my dad and I except he is awaiting military deployment...Let's send my brother overseas with a WHITE SOX WORLD SERIES WINNER!!!!!!:bandance:

Sad
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
all the generations of SOX fans come & gone...

including my great uncles John & Steve who used to live in Whiting, IN.
:gulp: this one's for you fellas...

Fenway
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
can't forget

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2001/jul/baseball/faust.jpg

"Na-Na-Hey-Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye) (http://209.204.209.201//NaNaHeyHey.rm)."

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/7b/200px-AndyTheClown.jpg (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=vh0ldpy03856?method=4&dsname=Wikipedia+Images&dekey=AndyTheClown.jpg&gwp=8&sbid=lc05a)

http://www.chicagoist.com/images/2004_06_sportsouthpaw.jpg

Dancin' Homer
10-17-2005, 11:56 AM
What a sad thread! :whiner::whiner: I'm teary eyed reading all of these :(:

There's no crying in shipping ..er.. baseball

VenturaSoxFan23
10-17-2005, 12:40 PM
To add to the feeling of goosebumps, I played the video montage music while reading this thread...can't help but be moved by it.
This is for my dad (passed away 2 weeks ago), who told me his story of a day at school when the Yankees and the Cubs were the two big teams in SE Wisconsin in the mid-40s. (Cubs were the closest geographically; the Yankees got a lot of players from Wisconsin schools - the Braves didn't move there for a few more years.) A 6th grader was in charge of the water fountain and would ask each kid, "Yankees or Cubs?" If you said "Yankees", you got a drink; if you said "Cubs" (like my dad's friend did before him), you got turned away.
Dad would be next and say "Yankees" and get his drink. He'd wipe the water off his face turn and correct himself, "I meant White Sox!"
I like that story.
This is for my dad and everybody like him - all the guys who worked long hours at American Motors and the steel mills, who busted their butt to put food on the table, a roof over your head and try to give people like me a better life, yet took the time to take it easy and take the family to the old park. (My dad never saw a game in the new park; didn't have the energy to go.)
This is for my mom, who took me to get Bill Melton's autograph 10 years ago and was singing the Chevrolet commercial he did, and see him light up and turn red that somebody remembered that cold morning with Pat Kelly, showering and singing. (I posed as some guy named "Frank" so the lady behind me could get her son an autograph.) 60 years old now, I flash back to seeing her in that 1983 sox visor and carrying around a seat cushion all the time.
This is for my 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son, who get to see how baseball is supposed to be played to win at any situation.
This is for my brother and I, who would fight over who got to be Ron Kittle in our Home Run Derby game. (I usually backed down and played as Greg Luzinski or Carlton Fisk to keep him quiet.)

But above all else, this is for everybody. :smile:

Viva Medias B's
10-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I may have missed him in this thread, but let us also add Msgr. Ignatius McDermott, "Father Mac," who was a longtime Sox fan before passing away last year.

Lisa
10-18-2005, 12:59 AM
For my grandfathers - I wish they could have lived to see this. Thank God they laid down the law in our families and chose the Sox instead of the Cubs! And for my dad, who has talked baseball with me ever since I can remember! I can't wait to go to Game 2 with him!!! And for my kids, who've been attending games as long as they can remember - they deserve a winning start to their fandom.

Coolpapa
10-18-2005, 04:06 AM
For my departed father, many years ago, and for my children. One a teenager who is very excited, the other a six month old who watched many games and highlights this year cuddling with her daddy under the White Sox blanket. For all the beloved Sox players of the past who were not fortunate enough to feel this excitement. For Joe Jackson, for Frank Thomas, for us, the truly blessed.

tadscout
10-27-2005, 01:28 AM
This World Championship is dedicated to my Grandpa- Allen Dickson, a life long Sox fan and one of the greatest human beings to ever walk this earth… Unfortunately he died a couple years back to an extremely rare liver disease that only 1 out of 300,000 cases to get it are male.

My most precious memories of him are watching Sox games with him on TV and going out to the back yard playing catch or hitting… If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be a Sox fan, nor love this sport as much as I do. Now I’m heading into my 3rd year as a High School baseball assistant/ pitching coach, although I have Cerebral Palsy.

Though he isn’t here to witness what he waited all his life for, I’m sure he’s up in heaven celebrating like crazy.

All this joy and happiness is dedicated to my Grandpa, I miss him and wish he was here to share this with…

Who do you dedicate this Championship to?

IA_soxfan
10-27-2005, 01:34 AM
I would like to dedicate this to my Grandpa and Great Grandpa. I never got the priviledge of know either men, but I have no doubt that they are celebrating this glorious win together right now. My great grandpa was Red Faber's cousin and they played baseball together. My grandpa told my mom that his father taught everything he knew, including how to throw his renowned spitball. He may have been exaggerating, hell, he probably was. But I know for a fact that those two would've loved to watch this years team, and I would've been honored to watch it with them.

WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Foulke You
10-27-2005, 01:36 AM
My grandfather Gilbert who lived in Chicago Heights as a diehard Sox fan listening to games on his transistor radio never getting to see a day like we just witnessed today. I never had the opportunity to meet him but he is the reason my father and Uncle are Sox fans, and thusly they passed it down to me. This championship is for you and my Grandmother.:gulp:

Soxfan35
10-27-2005, 01:41 AM
To my Grandpa, Fred. He was the only other member of my family who is a die hard sports fan. My mom keeps telling me about how excited he was in 1959 and how she even at 5 years old remembers Nellie and the rest of the team.

havelj
10-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Congrats to my grandfathers and uncles who made us root for the true Chicago team - the Southside Irish White Sox!! They are resting in peace...and having a few cold ones tonight!

:gulp:

White_Sock
10-27-2005, 02:00 AM
This one is for my Grandpa who played for the White Sox in their farm system in the 40's; who has waited his whole life for this and finally gets to see it.

The Wall
10-27-2005, 02:01 AM
I would like to dedicate this championship to the loyal and die-hard Sox fans in the evening of their lives. You have waited long for this. Enjoy it and be there when the flag is raised on Opening Day to see your dream come true.

Coolpapa
10-27-2005, 02:06 AM
This World Championship is dedicated to my Grandpa, a life long Sox fan and one of the greatest human beings to ever walk this earth… Unfortunately he died a couple years back to an extremely rare liver disease that only 1 out of 100,000 to get it are male.

My most precious memories of him are watching Sox games with him on TV and going out to the back yard playing catch or hitting… If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be a Sox fan, nor love this sport as much as I do. Now I’m heading into my 3rd year as a High School baseball assistant/ pitching coach, although I have Cerebral Palsy.

Though he isn’t here to witness what he waited all his life for, I’m sure he’s up in heaven celebrating like crazy.

All this joy and happiness is dedicated to my Grandpa, I miss him and wish he was here to share this with…

Who do you dedicate this Championship to?

To You

DSpivack
10-27-2005, 02:10 AM
To my father, he may have passed away this past July but he always imbued me with a love of sports. I learned that from him. He was a die hard sports fan, and although he wasn't a huge fan of either Chicago team, he let me make the decision myself. I chose the Sox, but it was he who brought to my first Sox game, my first Cubs game, my first Cards game; my first playoff games in 1993 and 2000; and obviously oh so much more.

Dad, this one's for you. Too bad you couldn't have lived three more months to see this.

vegyrex
10-27-2005, 02:12 AM
To my aunt Tonia. She took me to my first Sox game when I was 9 years old.

She would be loving this moment.

Fuller_Schettman
10-27-2005, 02:14 AM
all of us fans who stayed true to our Sox; who NEVER wavered or doubted this team was built for this very moment; to those who stood fearless in the face of the multitudes of Dark Clouds in September and said "Bah! We will be playing when it really counts!" and believed it!

And to all of The Morons and Mediots and Dark Clouds and Wussies: We fart in your general direction! :tongue:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-27-2005, 02:17 AM
I've posted it several times before, but this one is for my Dad who passed in January, he was the first thing that came to mind when that final out was made, tears of joy and tears of wishing Dad was here in person, but I know he's celebrating somewhere right now. This is for you Dad, the Sox finally did it.

Erik The Red
It's in my sig, but I'll repost it here:

October 26th, 2005. 13,774 days have passed since Red Faber went the distance to beat the New York Giants in Game 6 of the 1917 World Series. My grandfather's eyes saw so much history, from the stock market crash to WWII to man's first steps on the moon... but he never saw his favorite team win the World Series. This is for you, grandpa. I'll see you soon at River Hills, with a shot of blackberry brandy... trying to fight the tears back.

Hendu
My Grandpa, Ken who passed away in 1998. I'll be going down to Mount Greenwood to put a Sox flag on his grave this weekend.

ferdinandshen
10-27-2005, 02:18 AM
To my beloved wife. We first met and fall in love in south side Chicago. Attending 3 the White Sox opening days (2000-2002), seeing the excitement of 2000 season together, and watching this year's incredible run together. My memory to White Sox would never be complete without you. I love you, BB.

getonbckthr
10-27-2005, 02:20 AM
EVERYONE IS DEDICATING THIS TO THEIR GRANDPAS AND DADS IM GONNA GO A STEP FURTHER I DEDICATE THIS TO ANYONE WHO PAID TO SEE THIS FRANCHISE BACK IN 1918 THROUGH TODAY. WHETHER YOUR A GRANDPARENT WITH 50 GRANDCHILDREN OR THE GUY SITTING AT THE CORNER WEARING AN AUTHENTIC RIPPED UP 1990 WSOX SHIRT WITH A SIGN "WILL WORK FOR FOOD." BASICALLY ANYONE WHO GAVE A DAMN ABOUT THE FRANCHISE THAT SUPPOSEDLY HAD NO FANS OR APPEAL. ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE OF YOU OVER SEAS OR KILLED IN ACTION, YOUR THE ONES MAKING THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE SO THESE BALL PLAYERS CAN MAKE YOUR DREAM COME THROUGH. FOR THAT I DEDICATE THIS WIN TO ALL OF US, AND THANK ALL OF YOU, WE MAY HAVE MOMENTS OF DISAGREEMENT OR FIGHTING BUT WE ARE A BIG OLE FAMILY OF BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND I LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE YOU.

springrovesoxfan
10-27-2005, 02:34 AM
I dedicate this to my dad, who was a life long Sox fan and in the 85 years he lived only saw the Sox in the 59 series. my last memory of him is watching the Sox game together the day before he died this last june. We will be decorating His grave this weekend with World Champion White Sox flags. I know he' hes enjoying tonight in heaven with all the dearly departed White Sox fans. I wish I could have celebratedwith him.

Chicago
10-27-2005, 02:39 AM
To every Sox fan from the beginning that has kept this team here in Chicago to the fans of now... that continue the South Side Pride.

To my mom and older brother for being the Sox fans in the family growing up and taking me to the games as a kid.

and of course to my girl... for sitting out in the cold with me every year waiting for tickets to go on sale, sitting through those cold april/september games and being with me at every game over our last 4 years...

We are the 2005 Champions

FedEx227
10-27-2005, 02:44 AM
Every Real Sox fan that ever stepped foot on this earth

My dad who taught me all I know about the White Sox from ages 0-15, and who actually took back a Cubs pajama set given to me by my aunt for the hospital claiming 'hes not wearing this, hes a sox-baby', after that my dad slipped on my White Sox pajama-jersey pajamas (Yes those ^_^ )

and also to my grandfather, the late/great Rich 'The Rock' Kraetsch. A man who I've never been able to see, never able to talk to, never able to give a hand-shake to, yet I have taken his name and his legacy as a caring man and a devout White Sox fan, a trait he passed to my father and that I will pass onto my children. All I can say 'Rock' I hope you're celebrating up there or wherever you may be, you're definetly in my heart.

Disantinon
10-27-2005, 03:43 AM
Robin Ventura who turned me from an 11 year old kid from the northwest suburbs who didn't know any better to a lifelong Sox fan in 1991.

The '91 playoffs with the Braves over the Pirates in 7, and the Twins over the Braves in 7 in the greatest Series ever, that turned me into a lifelong baseball fan.

And finally to my dad, from the cornfields of southwest Iowa, who never had a baseball team, but adopted the Sox to support me, and died in February of this year, just over 8 months short of seeing my dreams come true...

I know I cheated by having 3, but anyone else want to join in?

kevingrt
10-27-2005, 03:46 AM
Good clutch 3B from teh 90's Robin. What a player, I wish he was apart of this team in some way or form! First pitch for a game next year, Robin Ventura.

ASUSOXGRL
10-27-2005, 03:53 AM
i dedicate this to my dad, the greatest guy i have ever known.......

MUsoxfan
10-27-2005, 03:59 AM
Ursula Snelius. I'm convinced she made a deal with the big man:smile:

ilsox7
10-27-2005, 04:02 AM
To my Grandpa and Dad. My 84 year old grandpa who was just weeks ago diagnosed with terminal cancer and has but months to live. Just as I called my Dad and cried after the 3rd out, he called his Dad and did the same. Some peope have no idea just how big of a day this was in my family's life. But everyone here does. Twenty-five or thirty guys down in Houston tonight made an old, sick man very, very happy tonight.

Cat Thief
10-27-2005, 04:15 AM
To my Mom. For dragging me around to Marquette Boys Baseball games. For making me get perfect attendance and good grades in grammar school so I received those Straight A and Perfect attendance vouchers for free Sox tickets.It all boils down to her. She don't appreciate this title as I do but she also has no idea how she influenced my love for the game.

I will let her know this morning.

:hug:

David Tamosaitis

fozzy
10-27-2005, 04:19 AM
to my dad... the most important person in my life

my grandfather (r.i.p.) who made us all sox fans

bill veck... my favorite pic me, my granddad, and him

shoota II
10-27-2005, 04:46 AM
This World Championship is dedicated to my Grandpa, a life long Sox fan and one of the greatest human beings to ever walk this earth… Unfortunately he died a couple years back...

I'm sure he was watching from the ultimate "sky" box in Heaven. I hope he and my grandfather and greatgrandfather were watching together.

henchmanUK
10-27-2005, 04:57 AM
To Frank Thomas, a truly great player and a truly great cheerleader during the playoffs and to all the Chicago White Sox TRUE fans, dead or alive.

34 Inch Stick
10-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Superstar Lamar Johnson....Hit It Here.

Bucky F. Dent
10-27-2005, 09:22 AM
To my Dad who took me to my first Sox game back when I was six.

We struggled through some ugly baseball (and uniforms) over the years, and had our hearts broken on more than a couple of occassions with the Hitmen, and the '83 team that got pounded by the Orioles, and the '94 team that never got the chance.

I only wish that he were here to see it. But I suspect he had a pretty good view from up there.

Thanks, Dad!

MsSoxVixen22
10-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I would like to dedicate this WS win to my Dad. We've went to numerous Sx games together and he got me into the Sox when I was young. I'm glad I got to share this win with my Dad and that he got to see it in his lifetime

Railsplitter
10-27-2005, 09:29 AM
My Aunt Marycolette, who died yesterday. It was something we knew was coming, and my Mom and sister were on thier way to her home in Tennessee when she died.

Church Turtle
10-27-2005, 09:30 AM
My late brother-in-law, who despite being raised in a family of lil' bear fans became a die-hard SOX fan. He died when he was 17. I got a little teary-eyed last night when I thought of how much he would have loved this.

For you Tim!

DenverSock
10-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Win it for me!

BedfordChisox
10-27-2005, 10:04 AM
I'd like to dedicate this championship to my Dad. He died in 1994, with his last experience on earth as a Sox fan shattered by that strike.

We grew up in central Illinois, where Sox fans were few and far between. We went to as many games as we could though. My Dad taught us to be proud of the fact that we were Sox fans, and to ignore the taunts and derision of the multitudes of Cub and Cardinal (admittedly though: the Cards were our 2nd favorite team after the Sox) fans that were all around us... many of whom didn't even acknowledge that the city of Chicago had an American League franchise.

My brother back home called me this morning and told me that he is going to purchase a Sox World Champion cap and lay it on his grave marker. I just hope it matches the one he's wearing right now up in heaven.

asindc
10-27-2005, 10:13 AM
To my Dad, who started taking my brother and me to Sox games when we were very young, even though he's a Cubs fan.

#1venturafan
10-27-2005, 10:28 AM
My dad. I watched many games with him growing up, and I was able to watch a World Series win with him. I feel lucky.

MeteorsSox4367
10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
For Grandpa who passed his interest in baseball and the Sox on to his son who passed it on to his son, who just can't get over the fact that his favorite team is the 2005 World Champion.

And thanks Dad for teaching me math by using baseball stats (the batting average of Ed Herrmann plus the ERA of Wilbur Wood equals...) and for going with me on those Interlake-Straight-A ticket days to watch the Sox play Texas and Cleveland. And thanks for being able to watch Game 7 with you.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

my5thbench
10-27-2005, 11:47 AM
this was even better than when Scott Skiles led good ol' Plymouth High
School to the '82 Indiana state basketball championship, Dad got to see
that one

to my dear departed Dad ol' alibi Ike & to Colonel Scott A Tackett, Sat46

now they can rest in peace

Greg1983
10-27-2005, 12:23 PM
To my dad, who took me to my first game in April of 1978 when I was 5. He left us in November of 1990. He would have been so happy today.

JOECREDEFAN
10-27-2005, 12:33 PM
this is for all the older sox fans (50+) who have suffered much longer than the 23 years i've been on this earth and for all those sox fans who passed without seeing the south side win a title.

this for joe crede for having the month of his life, and the rest of the team at that.

here's to uribe for showing me up with his leather when i've cursed him at the plate.

can't forget my dad, who introduced me to the beatiful game of baseball.

here's to you sox fans! you deserve it!:supernana::supernana:

Stroker Ace
10-27-2005, 12:47 PM
For every Sox fan. Now when the flub fans start with us again, we have the ultimate comeback,"Hey, what did your team do this October?"

whitesoxwilkes
10-27-2005, 02:11 PM
To my grandfather, who instilled the love of baseball in me.

To my buddy Russell, who instilled the love of the Sox in me.

mrs. hendu
10-27-2005, 02:24 PM
This White Sox win is for:

-my hubby Hendu, who's the reason I'm a White Sox and baseball fan,
-his dad for waiting so long,
-his grandpa who's no longer here, but who hopefully is celebrating somewhere in another space,
-Frank Thomas & Jerry Reinsdorf, the whole White Sox organization and all the die-hard fans.

tebman
10-27-2005, 02:40 PM
This is for my dad, who took me to see the Sox when I was a kid and who taught me that the more you feel something, the more alive you are.

For my grandmother, whose failing eyesight in her later years meant she listened to most games on the radio, but who followed the Sox and enjoyed sparring with me in hot-stove debates.

For my wife's dad, who grew up in East Chicago in the 1920s and would take a series of nickel streetcars and buses from EC to Comiskey Park with his brother and his father to see the Sox.

For Art, a guy I worked with in the 70s who was 40 years older than I was, and who was from the South Side and had great stories about old Sox teams.

All of them are gone now. They're four that were in my life, but for me they're symbolic of the thousands who've gone on with them without being able to join the party.

Here's to you all! :cheers:

Special Ed
10-27-2005, 02:42 PM
To my dad who passed away in 1977 when I was 11 years old.

In the short time I had with him he taught me everything about baseball. Hours and hours we sat watching the Sox and going to Comiskey Park.

He took me to my first game. It was Opening Day 1971 against the Twins. Sox win with a run in the bottom of the ninth and I remember being lifted high above my dad's head in celebration.

I remember hearing the stories about the '59 team. He would say.."Luis and Nellie! The greatest double play combo I have ever seen!"

I now share those memories and passion with my kids. My 10 year old son, David was named after my dad. We shared this title together at the United Center last night with 5000 other Sox fan.

So here's to you dad.
Thank you for raising me a Sox fan.

maurice
10-27-2005, 03:41 PM
We swept them 1,000 miles from the Cell
Our pitching and defense gave all of them hell
Our hitters got on and over and in
That's how we got the 2005 World Series win

Hey all you South Siders, I wrote you this tune
The ticker tape parade will be happening soon
Been a long time since we let out such a cheer
Now grab your glass and raise up your beer

Here's to Minnie and Nellie and Little Looie too
And to all of the grinders who played ball with you
Here's to Harold, Pudge, Robin, Frank, and the rest
Your White Sox team is finally the best

Let's toast to the fans who won't "stop believing"
And to 88 years of misery leaving
Now I've got just one more toast to say
To all the other great fans who didn't live to see this day

- - -

:AJ:
"A month ago, they were calling us chokers. But now they can
call us something else that starts with a C-H -- champions."

TornLabrum
10-27-2005, 03:46 PM
My grandpa who died early in 1971, right after the worst season in Sox history and my dad who wasn't a huge fan but at least took me to my first Sox games and tolerated my fanaticism.

graham5
10-27-2005, 04:01 PM
To the memory of all the Sox fans who didn't live to see their team win a World Series.

And to Shoeless Joe and Buck Weaver and everyone else who didn't deserve to be treated the way they were after the 1919 World Series.

This was for them.

russ99
10-27-2005, 04:11 PM
To my Dad who took me to my first Sox game at age 3 in 1969. He instilled the love of baseball and the Sox in me that will always live on. Even though he passed away in 1978, he's looking down and smiling today.

To all the other Sox faithful that have passed on without seeing this wonderful day, especially Bill Veeck, Shoeless Joe, Harry Caray, and Andy (the Clown) Rozdilsky. There's no need to be bitter anymore.

Vernam
10-27-2005, 04:17 PM
This is for the guys who taught me everything about baseball and the Sox: Dick Garritano (1911-1999) and his son Mike (1948-1984).

http://www.cipherdom.com/pix/Dad%20Sox%20Hof%20scan%20500px.jpg

My dad in the Sox hall of fame, 1991

http://www.cipherdom.com/pix/Dad%20at%20Comiskey%20ruin.jpg

My dad on the concourse at new Comiskey Park, with partially demolished old park in the background.

barryball
10-27-2005, 05:18 PM
My dad past away in January of 1998 and when I was at game 2 of the ALCS when the count was 0-2 on Crede, I looked up at the sky and said "Dad we need your help right now" Well the rest is history and today the Sox are the 2005 champions. During the last out I looked at my mom and dad's picture, my mom passed this past January, and said, I know you're both smiling!!!

This ranks up with the birth of my kids I just don't know what else to say except I LOVE BEING A SOX FAN and will cherish this moment forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

supertwangreverb
10-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Wow, I just realized I responded to my own post...:redface:

First to my Grandfather on my dad's side. He was really an overall Chicago Sports Enthusiast.... He took my dad when he was 2 weeks old to the Stadium for his first Hawks game in 1948, and to many Sox games at the Old Comiskey. He died in 1998... I know my Grandfather rooted for the Cubs, but it was an unwritten rule that when it came down to the Cubs Vs. the Sox, our family rooted White Sox.

And to my dad who took me to my first Sox game at the Old Comiskey(I can't even remember the day, or who won...but it was against the Kansas City Royals, and I do remember seeing George Brett. My dad died in 2001 to a rare form of bone marrow cancer. He was only 11 in 1959, so I can only imagine what he would have thought about seeing the White Sox get past the ALDS.
I distinctly remember him telling me in '93, "I never thought I'd see champaign on a Sox uniform again." Really puts this season into perspective for me... My dad lived 53 years and saw 4 champaign soaked uniforms. Sox fans, we tied that in the course of about 1 month this year!!

kevingrt
10-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm a first generation White Sox fan, so this goes too everyone that has been waiting longer then my 18 years of age.

CHEESESOXER
10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
I dedicate this World Series win to my Dad who took me to my first Sox game in 1944.

He never deserted them, no matter how tough things got.
He taught me what it was to be a fan and to not turn my back on my team.

My Dad would have had tears in his eyes had he been lucky enough to see this.

He passed away in 1970.

Thanks, Dad.
This one's for you:smile:

Reminds me of 83
10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
My Father would have loved this team. Hardworking, unselfish and good humored. They never quit when things looked darkest, they knew what they had to do and did it.

My Dad took me to my first Sox game when I was Six, forty years ago. It was the first of many. As my own children grew up, he was always taking them to games, including every home opener. He loved the Sox and he loved that I loved them too.

I know he was up there cheering them on.

This one is for you!:smile:

Go Sox!!

miker
10-27-2005, 06:57 PM
It is my Dad who is a life-long Sox fan and we had planned to go to the All-Star game until he got sick.

Fortunately, he's better now and he has lived long enough to see our team win the World Series.

Thanks Dad! Thank you White Sox!

denev1
10-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Had I seen this prior to the start of the season I would have posted the following.

Win it for Ozzie, a former Cuban League broadcast announcer who we met while going to and from Sox games in '99 on the red line. He had season tickets on the third base side and always listened to the radio broadcast while sitting in his seats, no doubt reliving a part of his former life. This elderly man whom I had never would have met took the time, the night I caught a Brooke Fordyce home run ball, to record all the sports broadcasts on TV (English and Spanish stations) and make a highlight real of my catch which he gave to me the next game. To me, he is and will always be the definition of a Sox fan. God bless him wherever he may be now.

nash316yo
10-27-2005, 07:47 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :dtroll: :supernana: :bandance: :dtroll: :dtroll:

This is to all of us who have been made fun of laught at for being a sox fan. I dont think we are second class anything. Today we should be and will be FIRST CLASS because we as a whole except for few dump buts. We rooted through the good and the bad and stood by our men. I know this has been the time of my life and I still can't stop crying.

soxjim
10-27-2005, 09:23 PM
To all SOX fans present and past.

Jurr
10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
My grandpa...we called him "papaw". A man from the greatest generation of Americans.

This man stormed Normandy with a Sox pennant in his pack. He was that big a fan. It was one of the only things he just WOULD NOT part with.

He raised my father a Sox fan, and I was the third generation. I have that old man to thank....the original. A guy who moved to Chicago as a teenager and became a Sox fan, sometime in the mid 1930's. He died in 1990, never getting to see the moment that we just saw.

This one's for you, grandpa.

jcirish85
10-27-2005, 10:01 PM
For my grandma who died this past August. She never got to see Chicago win a World Series in all her years, but I know shes smiling in Heaven right now and probably having a few cold ones. Also to anyone who has ever been a Sox fan. Our wait is finally over! :supernana:

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2005, 10:02 PM
My Dad....lifelong Cub fan who didn't get to experience what his daughter is experiencing today. My Dad was such a role model for sportsmanship and would watch Sox games with me and be genuinely happy for me when they won. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he prefers this over a Cubs championship just to make his little girl happy. That's the kind of person he was.

Miss you Dad...but my White Sox did it!! In the immortal words of George Bailey (It's A Wonderful Life)...."What do you know about that?!" :bandance:

RhubarbStew
10-27-2005, 10:11 PM
To my brother Dave, who loved the Sox dearly. He died of cancer in 1999. I wish he could have seen this.

jayc
10-27-2005, 10:25 PM
For my grandfather, whom I never met, but who became the 1st of what is now 4 generations of die-hard Sox fans ...

He was heartbroken in '59, but I'm sure he is smiling now, looking down on this great season

Thank you White Sox!

ndu3t4
10-27-2005, 10:55 PM
This is for my grandfather who was everything a Sox fan symbolized. He grew up on the South Side and hated everything Northside, a Sox fan and Chicago Cardinals fan. When he and my dad lived in Downer's Grove he took the train every morning to his job at a factory. He was born in 1919 and died in 1999.

He was the first one I thought about when the boys were mobing eachother at mound.

My great uncle, Bernie who played minor league baseball with the White Sox. He also wasn't able to live long enough to see this, but I'm sure he saw it from where he is now.

Also for my cousin, Mike who died at age 24 of a brain tumor. He was a Sox fan until his last breath.

All three of these guys gave the Sox a little help this week.

NowBatting19
10-27-2005, 11:15 PM
To my Grandfather who passed a couple years ago and my Great Grandfather who first found the connection with the Sox, despite living on the North side. I would also like to dedicate this to my wonderful Grandfather who is the hospital right now and to my Dad for taking me to game 1 of the World Series. I'll never forget it!!

Mr. N Paul Todd
10-27-2005, 11:58 PM

http://www.mdsfulfillment.com/images/gallery_photos/tool_set.jpg

Hoffdaddydmb
10-28-2005, 03:50 AM
Even though he grew up in a cubbie household he's a die hard fan. He took me to my first game when I was two, bought me a autographed Frank Thomas rookie card when I was in first grade and I've been hooked ever since. He was the first person I talked to after the final out. I'm so happy he got to see this. Thanks White Sox!

Santo=Dorf's Dad
10-28-2005, 04:56 AM
To my sons, Brad (a/k/a Santo=Dorf) and Jack, who have allowed me to share with them a great love for the team of my youth.

To my Dad and his friend the late Bill Veeck, who showed me joy in simply living.

To each and every one of you, my fellow travelers on the road to the pennant.

Again the magic number is 162, but never before have I been able to say that with the confidence and joy as I do today.

JACK

bestkosher
10-28-2005, 08:21 AM
TO my great Aunt Sophie , who raised both me and my dad on Whitesox baseball from 35th and Damen.

pauliemvp
10-28-2005, 09:45 AM
This championship dedicated to my Dad who made me a Sox fan from birth. He lived through all the heartbreaks. After the strike, he was convinced that that '94 was the year for the Sox and was away from the team for a few years. It took me, his son, and my enthusiasm to bring him back several years later to the team he loved his whole life. Unfortunately he passed away in May, but I know he was watching from above, and maybe helping the boys a little bit.

Flight #24
10-28-2005, 09:46 AM
- To my dad, for taking me to my first game at Comiskey, thanks for putting me on the path towards something that's generated so much sweet sorrow and even more joy. For being there to share each postseason win with either in person or on the phone.

- To my college roomates, for taking a casual fan and turning him into a raving lunatic.

- To all my WSI friends & family, for sharing in the emotion that is a passion for this team, over the years, through the season, and through this magical postseason. Especialy thanks to PHG, Daver, VC, West, VC, & the rest of the mods for providing this amazing place for Sox fans.

- To Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams, and Ozzie Guillen for making this all possible.

- To Frank Thomas. The greatest player in team history, and to this fan, the greatest in MLB history. Always a class act to the fans, always respected the game, and always represented the game, team, and city better than I could have hoped, despite media portrayals to the contrary.

- To the whole team, for being a group not only that brought this title home, but for being a group that we as fans could be especially proud of for your character, hard work, and team-first attitude.

- And most of all, to my wife and kids, for being there to share this moment, for putting up with my neurotics during games, for sharing so many special moments at the park during the season, and making the memories of this title truly special.

Thank you all.

spawn
10-28-2005, 09:48 AM
For my grandfather, who died in 1990, and my uncle, who died 5 years later. Both were avid Sox fans. I know they're both looking down and smiling right now.

SouthsideFathead
10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
my parents...the reason i am a sox fan...never even thought of taking me to a cubs game growing up.

Rocky Soprano
10-28-2005, 10:26 AM
To my beautiful wife, thanks for loving me, and supporting my love for the WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS CHICAGO WHITE SOX!

To my brothers: the countless games, memories, tears of frustration, arguments, and now tears of joy. If we had to, we would do it all over again. We bleed Sox Pride and will do so forever...

To the Chicago White Sox, ALL of you, THANK YOU!

haganaga
10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
This is for my Dad who thankfully raised me a Sox fan and who busted his butt as a machinist all his life so I could go to school & not have to work in a hot sweaty shop. Now I work and live in a whole other world though I'll never forget where I came from. Thanks, pop!

Iron Dragon
10-28-2005, 10:43 AM
To all my Grandparents, but especially my two Grandmothers, one of whom I know was a Cub fan, but that's ok, she'd be happy anyway.

To my family, most of whom I converted to Sox fans.

Lastly, to my 3 year old son, who's almost as big a Sox fan as I am. Such a smart boy.

Dan Mega
10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
To my grandparents. They were both Cubs fans but took me to my first Sox game 18 years ago and I was instantly taken in by the team.

To my girlfriend, who roots for my "Go Go Sox" with me, even if she's a Cubs fan at heart.

To my roommate, who kept my nerves from frying completely when the Sox were losing the division lead like it was out of style.

To Kenny, Oz, Coop, Walker, Raines, Cora, and so on. Terrific job with these players.

To the players themselves, thank you!

GeauxSox
10-28-2005, 12:02 PM
To my Dad who was born in 1917 and passed away in 1976. He wasn't a sports enthusiast, but he bought me my first transistor radio. I soon found the Sox and spent many 1960's weekends walking around the yard with that radio glued to my ear listening to Bob Elson and Red Rush. This means so much.

chisoxfan64
10-28-2005, 12:07 PM
To my father for taking me to my first game and letting me take off of school every year to go to opening day. I`m glad we were able to enjoy this World Series together.
To my mom, for letting my dad take me out of school to go to ball games. For buying me Sox shirts and hats and coming to the games with us.:smile:

Dansoxfan04
10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
To all the Sox fans that have waited a very long time to see this or even the young ones, it is a great time in Sox history, something most people will never forget.

To my parents that got me tickets to playoff games, and regular season games. Also, they bought many other Sox merchandise for me: hats, shirts, and other memorablia.

To my girlfriend who went with me to the games, despite not being a huge Sox fan and cheering them on with me and celebrating the Sox championship with me. Also, for being able to watch every game with me even when she didnt want to.

Get Back There!
10-28-2005, 01:00 PM
I dedicate this world series to my dad and my brother -- it was the most amazing thing attending game 2 with them! We did it boys!

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2005, 01:11 PM
To my 92 year old grandmother who is still here to see and to her brother, my Uncle Bud, who didn't make it this far.

ThinWhiteDuque
10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
To my mother Mary, who had the patience and time to take me to dozens of games as a child, thereby instilling in me a love for the White Sox.

nccwsfan
10-28-2005, 01:30 PM
To my father, who was not a baseball fan but took time to take me to see the White Sox play. You are my hero and I am thankful for everything you've done for me.

To Brad, who took me to my very first game at Old Comiskey. It was a night that has been etched in memory forever and I hope that we can do it again someday.

To my friends, who have suffered through the years with me. The 80's, the 90's, the 00's, and now 2005. Finally!

To my wife, who has been willing to lend an ear whenever talking about the team and its history. You'll be a die-hard fan yet!

To my son, who I was able to watch the final three outs of the World Series with. I love you and I look forward to watching many more White Sox games with you.

And to all of the players, coaches, broadcasters, and personnel who have put their hearts on the line for the White Sox organization. You have given me many wonderful moments in my life- none better than 10-26-2005.

gregoriop
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
this is for my uncle for taking me to first sox game as a child. this is for every former chicagoan that still has the city in their heart. this is for all the Pumas in Rensselaer that rooted this team on from day one!

Argalarga
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
To my Father. He took me to my first game when I was barely old enough to walk. We live several time zones from each other and don't get to talk much. When we do, it's usually about the White Sox. When we won the World Series, I called him and all I could say was "Dad, we just won the World Series!" And all he could say was "I know!"The Sox winning has taught me that what I thought was impossible actually is possible.

Chrisaway
10-28-2005, 02:07 PM
To my best friend Mindy that passed away before game one of the Boston series. I swear she was out there looking out for me and this is the greatest gift shes ever given me. Thank you Mindy and you nametag will rest around my neck for the rest of my life.
http://xf2.xanga.com/858867244713215692859/b11257033.jpg

PicktoCLick72
10-28-2005, 02:17 PM
To my dad, who taught me the meaning of being a Sox fan and that we are the greatest fans in the world. He instilled a passion in me that will never die.

comiskey2000
10-28-2005, 02:21 PM
To the people who loved watching them play today and to those who will hear the stories that will be passed on for generations.

ja1022
10-28-2005, 02:26 PM
..my Grandfather for being a Sox fan and seeing the World Champion White Sox of 1917. He must have been a big reason my Dad was a Sox fan. He left us in 1980.

To my Dad, who wasn't around yet in 1917. The story is told that Dad became so stressed while the Sox where trying to wrap up the American League pennant in '59, that he had to take the dog for a walk and wasn't entirely sure what to make of the ensuing air raid sirens. He took me to my first game in 1969 when I was seven. It was a White Sox winner over the Oakland A's, on a pinch hit home run by Pete Ward. Dad and I went to many games together over the years, including opening day every year, along with his Dad while he was still here. He missed the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox by five years, and we miss him very much.

And finally to my son, who only had to wait 14 years for a White Sox World Championship. I hope it's the first of many more to come for all of us.

minnieistheman
10-28-2005, 02:28 PM
To Minnie Minoso who belongs in the HOF and to my Dad who when I said to him, "Will you take me to a game," said, "Today? Sure." 1952, Sox beat Boston 4-3, Sherm Lollar with a homer (They didn't call it a walk off then), in the 9th.
Dad was a Cub fan.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2005, 02:32 PM
This championship is dedicated to those Sox fans living and dead who remained true for years upon years upon years.

It is also for those rare individuals who actually wore the colors but didn't get the chance to make the Series in Chicago, players like Hoyt Wilhelm, Joe Horlen, Gary Peters, Dick Allen, 'Goose' Gossage, Tommy John, Ken Berry, Johnny Buzhardt, Scotty Fletcher, Oscar Gamble, Eric Soderholm, Wilbur Wood, Ron Hansen, Ed Herrmann, J.C. Martin, Ray Herbert, Juan Pizarro, Richie Zisk, Walt Williams, Ron Kittle, Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Chet Lemon, Greg Luzinski, Pete Ward, Ron Hansen, Donn Pall and so many others who just didn't have the same good fortune as the 2005 club.

All of those who came before should be enjoying this moment.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
10-28-2005, 02:44 PM
To my grandfather who stayed overnight at the old park with me to get playoff tickets in 1983 and took me to many ball games and is now sharing a few beers with Bill Veeck. He was the first White Sox fan in our family. Hope you enjoyed it!!!

Fredsox
10-28-2005, 02:50 PM
To my wife and kids who made this season all the more enjoyable. This season would not have been anywhere near as fun if I was not able to share it with them.

BigKlu59
10-28-2005, 02:54 PM
This one is for all the Sox Fans who rooted thru the glory and gloom for their beloved Pale Hose. It was a long time coming... But how oh sweet it is !!!!

This is also for the players who proudly wore the White Sox uniform on those chilly April openers thru the dog days of sweltering heat of summer and those crisp days of fall, giving their all.

This one is for the guys at WSI who carried the torch to relight the fire when hope's were smoldering and others felt the heavens falling. Their knowledge of Sox baseball, with sage filled scribe and oration , candidly perpetuates the greatness of the organization and informs the neophyte of Chicago White Sox baseball historical precedent. The guys know baseball...more than I can say for some of the scribes scribblin for the fish wraps peddled in town.

This one is for Chicago.. A city whose fans have repeatedly climbed to the top of the mountain on so many occasions in the past only to fall from the precipice. Time to plant the flag on the summit and beat the chest. Second City no more to no one.

Lastly this is for Dad. He took the time to introduce me to this great pastime,took me to Comiskey amid all of you faithful diehards and solidified this love affair with my White Sox.

Big Klu 59

mjmcend
10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
To my late Grandma, who used to take me to Old Comiskey Park when I was quite little. These were the acts that instilled a life time of loving baseball and the White Sox. Thanks Grandma, that one was for you.

SOXintheBURGH
10-28-2005, 03:34 PM
To my father and mother, Mike and Dyana Silaggi, who raised me to cheer for the Good Guys.

To my brother, Jeffrey Silaggi, who made sure I always rooted for the Good Guys.

To my sister and brother-in-law Erin and Jonathon Fries, thanks for taking me in when I had nowhere else to go and allowing me to enjoy this memorable season with people I love.

Thank you,

Brett

Dolly
10-28-2005, 03:37 PM
To my Dad, who took me to my first Sox game, sitting in the golden box seats behind the Sox dugout at the "Old" Comiskey Park in the early 80s when they used to cost $9.25 a ticket. He passed away on Jan. 6, 1986 and never lived to see any of his favorite teams win a world championship. None would have been sweeter than this one.

To my Grandpa, who told us stories of watching the Sox play in a "prairie," as he called it, before they built the "Old" Comiskey Park. He never went anywhere without his transistor radio so he could listen to the Sox games.

I know they're both up there celebrating now!

Black Sox
10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
I dedicate this World Series Championship to Chico Carrasquel and the many other White Sox players and family that are no longer with us. Everyone living and dead share together this common bond we call the Chicago White Sox. We have these memories forever. Believe it.

gogochisox1917
10-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I dedicate it to my husband who introduced me to the White Sox. He's been a fan since he was "in the womb" and has stood by this team through all of it's ups and downs. As long as I have know him, his greatest wish in life was to see the White Sox win the World Series. Well honey, believe it. This World Champion White Sox team is dedicated to you.