PDA

View Full Version : Long term effects of success.

veeter
10-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Is it fair to say this will create enormous amounts of a young fans? Also, how about little kids in Venezuela or anywhere growing up dreaming about playing for the Chicago White Sox. The way they've played and the classy things they say have to hit the hearts of many, many people. Free agents are recognizing too. The Sox are racing for the moon.

antitwins13
10-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Is it fair to say this will create enormous amounts of a young fans? Also, how about little kids in Venezuela or anywhere growing up dreaming about playing for the Chicago White Sox. The way they've played and the classy things they say have to hit the hearts of many, many people. Free agents are recognizing too. The Sox are racing for the moon.

I hope so, but it didn't work in 59

veeter
10-17-2005, 12:04 AM
I hope so, but it didn't work in 59 From what my dad tells me, management in those days did not make good decisions following up that season. I think KW will handle it just fine. Plus the media spotlight is so huge now compared to '59.

soxstarter
10-17-2005, 12:13 AM
OH yeahhhh, Paulie is gonna be on the front of the "Wheaties" box.

getonbckthr
10-17-2005, 12:19 AM
ICHIRO WHO? GODZILLA SLAYED? TADAHITO WILL BE THE CROWN PRINCE OF JAPAN.:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

shbart
10-17-2005, 12:55 AM

I was going to Chaamps in Old Orchard (Skokie) today for lunch and to watch the Bears game. In front of the restaurant there were about 6 kids roughly 6-9 years old and they were marching around a tree planter and the lead girl with her pink Sox cap had them chanting Go Sox...you just don't see that up here. I hi fived the last boy who had a Sox shirt on and then had to put on my sunglasses because it teared me up thinking maybe the next generation of Sox fans won't have to suffer quite as much.... (cue the music) and what a wonderful world this could be.....

Optipessimism
10-17-2005, 01:22 AM
I think there will be more Sox fans as it is, but I also think that if the Sox win the WS the effects will be huge.

If the Sox win the WS:

1. I think there will be a lot of FA's both in the US and across the world who will want to join this team.

2. The higher attendance = higher payroll machine will get a chance to snowball, becoming larger in the future to make the Sox a fixture in the postseason.

3. A renewed emphasis on pitching and defense in the American League which will work to ultimately make the AL game more competitive over the next couple of years.

4. Experience of the players gives them more confidence in future playoff trips.

5. Finally some recognition for the AL Central as being the toughest division in the American League.

6. Post season glory and name recognition from the media could raise attendance in cities that the Sox are playing, helping other teams in the AL Central especially (not sure this is a good thing for us though).

EDIT: I'll add two more things:

7. It could, I think, possibly give guys like Crede, Uribe, Garland, Jenks, Contreras, and Cotts that little bit extra confidence in themselves that they need to become the star players that they are all capable of becoming.

8. It would keep a lot of Sox fans with chronic heart problems out of the hospital.

Banix12
10-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Success would certainly help but don't discount what the sox are already doing to attract young fans to the team. I'd say a lot of the moves made recently are to attract young fans and their parents. Things like the Fundamentals area and the Bulls/Sox academies are just one example. I seem to remember a story from earlier this season where they donated Sox Baby Blankets to Hospitals, trying to bring them into the world as sox fans if the parents don't already have some affiliation.

Certainly though the success would be great to raise the national and international appeal. Though I'm sure the sox are doing just fine in Venezuela and I keep hearing about Japanese players wanting to come play here because of the good press Iguchi and Shingo gave the team

graham5
10-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I'm not sure I want higher payroll - look at what the Yankees have done the last few seasons.

For me, this is all the more sweet because we've got there with a bunch of gamers, youngsters and soxsters - Konerko, Buerhle, Garland, Crede, Rowand, Pierzynski, Cotts, Jenks, Big Frank (for a few games).

I can't imagine October feels as special to Yankee fans with their latest bunch of highly paid mercenaries.

fox2
10-17-2005, 06:56 AM
From what my dad tells me, management in those days did not make good decisions following up that season. I think KW will handle it just fine. Plus the media spotlight is so huge now compared to '59.

You can say that again. After the '59 season, in an ill-advised attempt to win again, Bill Veeck gutted the team of a lot of future stars (Earl Battey, John Romano, Johnny Callison, Norm Cash), going instead for a bunch of aging, or already-over-the-hill guys like Gene Freese, Roy Sievers, and, although I hate to say it, Minnie Minoso. In one year he turned a team that could have been the powerhouse of the 60's into also-rans.