PDA

View Full Version : Yankees sign Rondell White

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 12:54 PM
BOSTON -- Free agent outfielder Rondell White has agreed to a two-year, $10 million contract with the New York Yankees, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

The deal is pending a physical and likely won't be officially announced until next week. The Yankees are expected to announce the signing of Jason Giambi on Thursday and don't want another announcement stealing any of the thunder.

White will replace Chuck Knoblauch as the Yankees' left fielder. He hit .307 with 17 home runs and a career-best .529 slugging percentage in 95 games last season with the Chicago Cubs. The Cubs and Seattle Mariners were believed to be the other prime pursuers for the injury-prone outfielder.
Other free agent outfielders who had been rumored to have sparked the Yankees' interest included Moises Alou and Roger Cedeno.

White has played more than 100 games just once in the past four years, although he has hit at least .300 each season. Due to his frequent injuries, White has driven in more than 64 runs just once in his career. He spent time on the disabled list in 2001 with a hamstring injury and missed action in 2000 with hamstring and shoulder problems.

Iwritecode
12-12-2001, 01:35 PM
OK, do the Yankees just acquire every single player possible just because they can? Why in the world do they want an ex-Cub castoff?

BTW, I read a story that King George was quite pissed at the fact that he didn't get Alomar and the Mets did.

Quite a good laugh. (http://www.bergen.com/mets/klap200112127.htm)

:)

Paulwny
12-12-2001, 01:52 PM
No Durham to NY trade now.

cheeses_h_rice
12-12-2001, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
OK, do the Yankees just acquire every single player possible just because they can? Why in the world do they want an ex-Cub castoff?

BTW, I read a story that King George was quite pissed at the fact that he didn't get Alomar and the Mets did.

Quite a good laugh. (http://www.bergen.com/mets/klap200112127.htm)

:)

Poor King George. Guess he'll just have to settle for Jason Giambi, Steve Karsay, Robin Ventura, Rondell White, and possibly Moises Alou...

Foulke You
12-12-2001, 02:25 PM
The Yanks will only get 3 months out of White before the ouchies return to claim him. Rondell White is a perennial DL guy. Unless the Yanks plan on using him as a pinch hitter, I don't see why they picked him up.

moochpuppy
12-12-2001, 03:21 PM
The Yankees could very well DH White in which case he could be a very productive player. He's gotten most of his injuries in the past on turf and in the field. A healthy White regulated to hitting could put up 25-30 HR's, 90-100 RBI's and hit upwards of .325-.340. Plus, I believe he's only 28-29 years old.

Mathew
12-13-2001, 03:08 AM
Rondell White at 5million a year.... No!

RedPinStripes
12-13-2001, 03:22 AM
This really starting to make me sick. The Yanks just get everyone so no body else does. By tomorrow Giambi should be confirmed. This is the best damn team by names I've ever seen.