PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions for Sox fans

soxfanreggie
10-16-2005, 04:30 PM
What are some of your Sox superstitions that you do for every game or that you have done during the playoffs? What has worked and what hasn't?

I will post mine later

chisoxfanatic
10-16-2005, 04:36 PM
My superstition has worked like a charm so far (knock on wood).

I haven't washed my authentic pinstriped Konerko jersey since before the playoffs. Every time I've worn it during the post season, they've won (5-0 record with it on). I'm wearing it tonight at Puffers as well, and won't wash it until after the playoffs, even though it has a pretty bad stain on the lower back (that will come out in the laundry with a little bit of Shout).

DrummerGeorgefan
10-16-2005, 04:37 PM
I havent shaved since game 1 and i've got the Mark Buehrle "I cant grow a good beard, but I can damn well try" beard going....I dont know how not shaving became a superstition, but I did it for finals and my own athletic playoffs

leetsox
10-16-2005, 04:41 PM
since not wearing any SOX gear the White Sox have gone 11-1. when i bought the hat and shirts i was wearing thats when the white sox started there losing in august. so im going to game 5 with no sox gear just pants and tee

Soxaholic
10-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I havent shaved since game 1 and i've got the Mark Buehrle "I cant grow a good beard, but I can damn well try" beard going....I dont know how not shaving became a superstition, but I did it for finals and my own athletic playoffs

I'm doing the same thing. Many NHL players grow playoff beards in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Yes, they are still playing hockey.

Law11
10-16-2005, 04:52 PM
On the one game I wore my contacts during the postseason we lost.
It's been glasses in all the other games..

Polished and ready for tonight.

D. TODD
10-16-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure if it's a superstition, but I feel much more comfortable watching the games at home, alone. My fellow Sox fans keep asking me to meet them out to watch the games, but even in a pro Sox atmosphere I would rather not be bothered with the noise and conversations during the game. Now, if the Sox are victorious tonight I will defiantly meet them for a few :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: , in a big way.

soxfanreggie
10-16-2005, 04:59 PM
I too grew a Buehrle beard...and we won the ALDS...shaved it for an interview...grew it back and we're up in the ALCS. I have a 2nd interview on Friday so I'll shave it, hopefully for the WS. Also, I wear my green sox hat and Central champions shirt! I'm undefeated at Sox games this year wearing my green hat, too bad I can't get to more games!

DSpivack
10-16-2005, 05:15 PM
I just noticed that I haven't shaved since the ALCS started. It wasn't even on purpose I was just lazy.

I can't shave now, but...

If they lose tonight, I can.
If they win tonight, can I? I am unsure.

Garland_IS_God
10-16-2005, 05:26 PM
I just noticed that I haven't shaved since the ALCS started. It wasn't even on purpose I was just lazy.

Dont shave the beard guys. I would like to grow one out too but im Irish so I have trouble growing one. It would take me about a year inorder to grow what Joe Crede has on his chin.

gogochisox1917
10-16-2005, 05:28 PM
We have this great Sox light in our bar that we refuse to turn on. Ever since we have turned it off, the Sox have been hot. We also have a ball hit by Rowand and signed by several other Sox that we used to set on top of our TV during games, but not any more! (For the same reason as the light). It seems so silly to see this written down, but it works for me and I'm not about to take any chances! Go get 'em Sox!!!!

getonbckthr
10-16-2005, 05:28 PM
last time i shaved was the night we lost to detroit for the final time, nor have i walked into bar since that day, we are 11-1 since. the last time i saw a sox win live was home opener 2002 i got offered 2 tickets for game 2, i turned them down due to my superstitions. not to mention also a few weeks ago my suntimes horoscope told me this:

LEO (July 23-Aug. 22): The next six weeks are a fabulous time for a vacation. (Time to leave the nunnery. Break the habit.) Romance, love affairs, show business and professional sports shine now. Your party scene definitely picks up. You feel flirtatious and desirable! (Don't you love that part?)

here's the link:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/horoscopes/cst-nws-georgia1006.html

Foulke You
10-16-2005, 05:30 PM
When I wear my regular authentic Sox jerseys, we lose. I am undefeated in my jersey t-shirts so far in the playoffs so it has been nothing but jersey tees and I plan on wearing another one tonight. Can't take any chances.:cool:

ferdinandshen
10-16-2005, 05:31 PM
since not wearing any SOX gear the White Sox have gone 11-1. when i bought the hat and shirts i was wearing thats when the white sox started there losing in august. so im going to game 5 with no sox gear just pants and tee

in contrast, when I don't have my sox gears on all day long (yes, even during work and meetings), sox loses. Now I have to force myself to wear them all day long. The are all unwashed, surely.

my sox cap (a genuine 59-50 fitted cap) was purchased in Taiwan in 1998, unwashed since then. what's your "most experienced" sox gear?

HotelWhiteSox
10-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Haven't washed my AL Central shirt since buying it. The one day I didn't wear it, the Sox lost a playoff game, so it is now on for every playoff game.

Also, playlist of 'Go Go White Sox theme song, Thunderstruck, and Don't Fear the Reaper (cowbell)' on day of game.

Kiss him goodbye will be saved for after advancing :cool:

ferdinandshen
10-16-2005, 05:33 PM

don't do it. I am sure you'll look nice with it.

Hoffdaddydmb
10-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I wear my green sox hat and my 2005 A.L. central champions shirt every game. I also only wash the shirt inbetween series. Plus I can't allow myself to miss a pitch. During the playoffs I missed the first 3 innings because of work and that was the game they lost. It sounds stupid but I'm not taking any chances.

goodsy72
10-16-2005, 05:43 PM
When Buehrle pitches I always wear my #56 MB White Sox t-shirt I bought at the Cell the night he pitched against the Dodgers to start the turn back the clock 1959 series. I haven't washed it since he pitched in that game against the Toons we won with our "Scrubs" in. Had the mojo for game 2 both of them. If we win it all I may have to retire it and never wash it again. I have to say baseball players are probably the most superstitious in all of sports. It's good to see their fans are just as kooky too.

veeter
10-16-2005, 06:04 PM
I too, tend to NOT wear Sox stuff during a game. I wear it on off days. It seems to be working, so I'll stick with it.

ElDuque26
10-16-2005, 06:10 PM
i have quite a long list... 6-0 while doing it, 6-1 w/o...wear any white sox shirt, and one black underarmour wristband on left arm the entire day, with my sox hat...then 20 minutes prior to game time listen to He's A Pirate, Lets Go Go Go White Sox, Heart of a Champion, and finish up with Thunderstruck before putting identical underarmour wristband on right arm and turning on the tv for gametime...o and not cutting my hair until sox are done in '05

Wsoxmike59
10-16-2005, 06:13 PM
I bought a Sox T-shirt at the thrift store in late Sept for $1 and wore it to the final home game vs MN and we won.

I proceeded to wear it to the first 2 Boston games in the ALDS and we won....I wore it when I watched game 3 and we won.

I wore it to the first 2 games of the ALCS and have had it on the entire weekend (in between washings of course!)

The shirt is the kookiest looking thing I ever saw....it has some sort of baseball headed dude on it and he's like jumping for joy, and the shirt says.....CHICAGO WHITE SOX (since 1901) .....We're the Best!! Forget the Rest!!

This shirt is 7-1 and I'm not taking it off until we.....well you know.

clean
10-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I shaved for the last time the day before I went to game 1 of the ALDS against Boston. Since then, I have been wearing the same shorts, shirt, and hat, all unwashed for every game.

In game 2 of the ALDS, i put the shirt on the pitch before the graffinino play.:?:

Ol' No. 2
10-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Haven't washed my AL Central shirt since buying it. The one day I didn't wear it, the Sox lost a playoff game, so it is now on for every playoff game.

Also, playlist of 'Go Go White Sox theme song, Thunderstruck, and Don't Fear the Reaper (cowbell)' on day of game.

Kiss him goodbye will be saved for after advancing :cool:I've been wearing my AL Central Champion shirt, too. I didn't wear it for game 1 of the ALCS and they lost. How was I to know that it was the shirt that was making them win?:redneck It's starting to get a little gamey. A few minutes tumbling in the dryer didn't take the luck out of it, but if the WS goes 7, I might have a whole row to myself.:tongue:

mike squires
10-16-2005, 07:37 PM
I make sure I've got candles lit while I watch the game.

I shave but not the little "John Garland" hair that grows right under your lip. If you think Mark Buehrle can't grow a beard yoou haven't met Mike Squires. I look like Mr. Potato head with little spaces in between if I let it go a week or two. It's pitiful. But I have nice little patch right below my lip...Not shaving it until we are eliminated or win the series...

batmanZoSo
10-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Other than my enchanted jock strap?

I haven't shaved since the playoffs started. At first, it was laziness, but the Sox-cess seemed to be directly related to my growing facial hair. I expect co-MVP honors. If not MVP.

akingamongstmen
10-16-2005, 08:08 PM
I listen to "When the Levee Breaks" by Led Zeppelin before every game. The one time I didn't do it was Game 1 of the ALCS...coincidence? I think not.

"I'm going to Chicago. Going to Chi-ca-go. Sorry, but I can't take you."

sox_fan_forever
10-16-2005, 08:15 PM
The last time I wore one of my Sox hats was the last game I went to in August before I left for school. They lost that game. Needless to say, I will not be wearing a Sox hat until after their season is over.

One of my friends here at school seems to be very good luck also. Every time she comes into my room something really good happens for the Sox not long after. I will have her on stand-by tonight, just in case.

MiamiSpartan
10-16-2005, 08:31 PM
I've worn my home jersey everyday, since the playoffs started for at least part of the day...it's starting to stink, 'cause it is still 90 degrees here, but I can't have it dry cleaned until after the Series....:redneck

TheDarkGundam
10-16-2005, 10:24 PM
I've worn a sox shirt/jersey every school day since the sox got to the playoffs. (I have a lot of sox shirts).
Also, I realized today that the last time I was in the WSI chatroom was tuesday, when we lost. So i guess you be seeing me in there for a while.