PDA

View Full Version : Trade Buehrle?

Viva Magglio
12-12-2001, 11:10 AM
Boers and Bernsie think we should trade him for Brian Giles. :?:

Iguana775
12-12-2001, 11:42 AM
they need to lay off the crack pipe. there is no way in hell you trade the best pitcher on our staff. period!!!

cheeses_h_rice
12-12-2001, 11:46 AM
I think Boers, deep down, hates the Sox. He was completely bashing ALL the Sox' young pitchers this morning. He said that none of them have amounted to anything, basically.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. After all, who carried this team in 2001? Veterans? I don't think so.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
they need to lay off the crack pipe. there is no way in hell you trade the best pitcher on our staff. period!!!

There thinking is that Buehrle is unproven while Giles is. It seemed to me like they were saying Mark had a career year. That's just my opinion.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

There thinking is that Buehrle is unproven while Giles is. It seemed to me like they were saying Mark had a career year. That's just my opinion. Career year? At his age? They should be drug tested before being allowed on the air.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Career year? At his age? They should be drug tested before being allowed on the air.

Well they never said the word career year. They just keep saying that we don't know with the Sox history of pitching prospects.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 12:16 PM

Well they never said the word career year. They just keep saying that we don't know with the Sox history of pitching prospects. In that case, they are just stupid. Burly-Mon's got game.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
In that case, they are just stupid. Burly-Mon's got game.

:burly
I do.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 12:26 PM
Ass says he doesn't want to give up Buehrle but he would make the deal.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 12:34 PM
Ass says he doesn't want to give up Buehrle but he would make the deal. :ass

Yeah! That will give my Cubbies a better chance against the Sox next year.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 12:38 PM
He kept saying getting Giles and Ritchie is a 2 for 1. I think he forgot that Carlos is involved in the deal. Weird.

chisoxt
12-12-2001, 12:47 PM
No way. What would be the point? Our main weakness is starting pitching. I say hold out and see if the Bucs bit on a lesser player or some prospects. As the Cubs have shown with McGriff and Gonzalez, you can pick up a decent player for as little as aggreeing to take on the big salary.

AsInWreck
12-12-2001, 12:57 PM
It would be a bad move to trade buerhle, but i don't see pitt completing trade w/out him

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
No way. What would be the point? Our main weakness is starting pitching. I say hold out and see if the Bucs bit on a lesser player or some prospects. As the Cubs have shown with McGriff and Gonzalez, you can pick up a decent player for as little as aggreeing to take on the big salary.

If we wait someone else will swoop in and make the deal.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
It would be a bad move to trade buerhle, but i don't see pitt completing trade w/out him

i wouldnt deal buehrle straight up for Giles, and they want lee too? I dont think so........

Kilroy
12-12-2001, 01:04 PM

If we wait someone else will swoop in and make the deal.

then good for them. What's easier to find: A decent hitting solid defensive outfielder or a solid left-handed starting pitcher????

Any trade involving Buerlhe would be a mistake.

FarmerAndy
12-12-2001, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

i wouldnt deal buehrle straight up for Giles, and they want lee too? I dont think so........

If the Pirate's throw PNC Park into the deal, I might consider trading Buehrle.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
then good for them. What's easier to find: A decent hitting solid defensive outfielder or a solid left-handed starting pitcher????

Any trade involving Buerlhe would be a mistake.

I agree, I want Buehrle to stay. All I was saying was that if they want him this is the price they are going to have to pay. They can't afford to wait for the price to go down.

bringbackrobin
12-12-2001, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt

Giles isn't a McGriff or a Gonzalez, though. He's one of the top 20 or 30 players in the game! And to make it all sweeter, he's signed to a very reasonable contract and can play center field if necessary. I'm a big fan of Carlos Lee, but there's no way he'll ever turn into a Brian Giles. If KW can get Giles for Lee and a couple of pitchers, then I will have to seriously revaluate my opinion of him. Unless one of those pitchers is Buehrle. That would be stupid.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin

Giles isn't a McGriff or a Gonzalez, though. He's one of the top 20 or 30 players in the game! And to make it all sweeter, he's signed to a very reasonable contract and can play center field if necessary. I'm a big fan of Carlos Lee, but there's no way he'll ever turn into a Brian Giles. If KW can get Giles for Lee and a couple of pitchers, then I will have to seriously revaluate my opinion of him. Unless one of those pitchers is Buehrle. That would be stupid.

ummmmmm Giles is NOT top 20 and its very doubtful he is top 30.

bringbackrobin
12-12-2001, 01:50 PM
Okay, my mistake, I meant to say hitters. But he is still up there. Brian Giles had the National League's 10th highest OBP, 10th highest Slugging percentage, and had the 9th highest Offensive Winning Percentage. All of this while playing in a pitchers park.

If Giles can play center field, then he's EASILY one of the 20 most valuable hitters in the game. If he has to play one of the corners, however, that drops him a somewhat. Still, Giles is an increadible hitter and nobody seems to realize it.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
Okay, my mistake, I meant to say hitters. But he is still up there. Brian Giles had the National League's 10th highest OBP, 10th highest Slugging percentage, and had the 9th highest Offensive Winning Percentage. All of this while playing in a pitchers park.

If Giles can play center field, then he's EASILY one of the 20 most valuable hitters in the game. If he has to play one of the corners, however, that drops him a somewhat. Still, Giles is an increadible hitter and nobody seems to realize it.

oh he is a good player and id love to have him. but for lee and buehrle? nah...

dougs78
12-12-2001, 02:19 PM
Giles is damn good, i would place him among the best 30 hitters, based purely on #'s, but not when considering the positions they play and how valuable their defense is.

If the Pirate's throw PNC Park into the deal, I might consider trading Buehrle.

I agree with you farmer Andy...I've been to about half the stadiums in MLB and I swear to god PNC is my favorite. Its just gorgeous...of course they would have to include teh Clemente bridge and the Pittsburgh skyline too....i don't know if the veiw would be quite the same overlooking teh Dan Ryan and the Robert Taylor homes

:D: