PDA

View Full Version : take a deep breath and relax

Fenway
10-16-2005, 01:31 PM
I know what you all are feeling this Sunday afternoon and understand how excited and giddy you feel. I really believe good things will happen tonight and those holding ALCS tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday will not have to use them.

The White Sox at the very worse have at least 2 more home games this season, the latest in the calendar any Chicago team has played into October.

But some friendly advice

Be nice to your Cubs fans today, don't rub in their faces until you have a pennant to wave in front of their eyes.

Look many here love to look back to 2 years ago and laugh at what happened to the Flubs but the reality is this afternoon the White Sox are in the same exact position they were in 2003. Nobody after Game 4 thought the Marlins would come back. Last year not a single Red Sox fan thought we had a chance after losing Game 3 of the ALCS 19-8.

I can still remember Charlie Steiner on WCBS yelling at the end of the 8th inning in Game 4 "The Yankees are three outs away from their 40th World Series"

My Red Sox have never blown a 3-1 lead in a best of 7 but my beloved Bruins did it in 2004 against Montreal. I also have seen the Celtics come back from 1-3 often.

The hardest win to get in a best of seven is number 4. I believe it will come for the White Sox.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-16-2005, 01:57 PM
But some friendly advice

Be nice to your Cubs fans today, don't rub in their faces until you have a pennant to wave in front of their eyes.

Actually I have better advise. Don't rub it in period.

Act like you have been there before (even though most of us haven't). Show class. If they congratulate you accept it graciously and kindly thank them. If they berate you or make an ignorant comment do not respond in kind.

There is enough crass behavior these days and there is no need to add to it. Most cub fans will think gee those White Sox fans showed class and I am glad they didn't rub it in. Then somewhere in the distant (hopefully far distant) future if the shoe is on the other foot they may respond in kind.

When the White Sox lost in 1983 many cub fans (I was out numbered 9-1 on the Northwest Side as a teenager) taunted me afterwards and I responded in kind in 1984 when we shot off fireworks and celebrated after San Diego swept the Cubs and I have regretted it for not being the better person. Every future trip to the playoffs I didn't want the Cubs to win but I didn't openly cheer amongst Cub fans nor did I taunt them afterwards.

I suggest White Sox fans do the same - celebrate because your team won - not because the Cubs didn't. You will look back on this season and be glad you did and you may gain the respect of those Cub fans who wouldn't have done the same and maybe down the road they will repeat the favor but if not you will know you are the better person.

Go White Sox!!!

RKMeibalane
10-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Actually I have better advise. Don't rub it in period.

Act like you have been there before (even though most of us haven't). Show class. If they congratulate you accept it graciously and kindly thank them. If they berate you or make an ignorant comment do not respond in kind.

There is enough crass behavior these days and there is no need to add to it. Most cub fans will think gee those White Sox fans showed class and I am glad they didn't rub it in. Then somewhere in the distant (hopefully far distant) future if the shoe is on the other foot they may respond in kind.

When the White Sox lost in 1983 many cub fans (I was out numbered 9-1 on the Northwest Side as a teenager) taunted me afterwards and I responded in kind in 1984 when we shot off fireworks and celebrated after San Diego swept the Cubs and I have regretted it for not being the better person. Every future trip to the playoffs I didn't want the Cubs to win but I didn't openly cheer amongst Cub fans nor did I taunt them afterwards.

I suggest White Sox fans do the same - celebrate because your team won - not because the Cubs didn't. You will look back on this season and be glad you did and you may gain the respect of those Cub fans who wouldn't have done the same and maybe down the road they will repeat the favor but if not you will know you are the better person.

Go White Sox!!!

Well said. This season is about the Chicago White Sox, not the Chicago Cubs. As Sox fans, we should enjoy the success of our team, and not worry about what fans other teams think. Remember, winning the AL Pennant is only another step of this journey. There's still much work to be done before this is over.

DumpJerry
10-16-2005, 02:53 PM
My approach will be to act as if the Flubs don't exist. In my mind, the Cubs will be to the White Sox what the Wolves are to the Blackhawks, minor league entertainment were the skill level is slightly below the big team's skill level. After all, what can Flub fans say next year if we win the WS? "Sox suck?" *****. "You won't repeat?" So what? "The umps gave it to you." No response necessary. "Can we have one of your starters?" No way, sucker! We'll give you Joe Borchard, he hit the longer HR ever at Comiskey.:D:

TDog
10-16-2005, 03:47 PM
They say that living well is the best revenge. The best revenge for the abuse I've taken as a Sox fan -- seeing my supervisor and a co-worker high-five each other in front of a television set across the office as I was working, being the latest example, not that I can catalog 40 years of abuse -- is enjoying the season. "Bad time to be a Sox fan," a weaselly co-worker commented on a night when Cleveland climbed to within 2.5 games. He proudly proclaimed he was an Indians fan. Then he became a big Red Sox fan and then my supervisor came into the office saying the Angels were going to win some games. The Sox still have to win one more against the Angels, but it looks like another of their teams will fall.

This has been a great season. I was saying this during the "collapse." Fans celebrate 1977, which I remember as being fun, and I wasn't far away for 2000, which was a blast. Well, 2005 has been awesome. Unless you're a Cubs fan.

How much more could a Cubs fan suffer than see his predicted-to-go-to-the-World-Series team finish with a losing record, then get behind teams going up against the Sox, only to see them lose? If they weren't in Alaska and back in Chicago, they would see their team rendered irrelevant, not by the Bears, but, incredibly, by the White Sox.

I never rub it in. I don't have to.

Baby Fisk
10-17-2005, 12:46 PM
It's also good advice not to infiltrate the message boards of other teams and self-delightedly hijack every thread so that it's all about you and your team instead. I've heard of this happening.

Fenway
10-17-2005, 12:54 PM
It's also good advice not to infiltrate the message boards of other teams and self-delightedly hijack every thread so that it's all about you and your team instead. I've heard of this happening.

BF run down to Younge St and wait for the Maple Leafs parade

you beginning to sound like Don Cherry

Baby Fisk
10-17-2005, 01:01 PM
BF run down to Younge St and wait for the Maple Leafs parade

you beginning to sound like Don CherryI come to WSI to celebrate all things White Sox, not have to sift through condescending Boston bilge. Take off.

Ol' No. 2
10-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I know what you all are feeling this Sunday afternoon and understand how excited and giddy you feel. I really believe good things will happen tonight and those holding ALCS tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday will not have to use them.

The White Sox at the very worse have at least 2 more home games this season, the latest in the calendar any Chicago team has played into October.

But some friendly advice

Look many here love to look back to 2 years ago and laugh at what happened to the Flubs but the reality is this afternoon the White Sox are in the same exact position they were in 2003. Nobody after Game 4 thought the Marlins would come back. Last year not a single Red Sox fan thought we had a chance after losing Game 3 of the ALCS 19-8.

I can still remember Charlie Steiner on WCBS yelling at the end of the 8th inning in Game 4 "The Yankees are three outs away from their 40th World Series"

My Red Sox have never blown a 3-1 lead in a best of 7 but my beloved Bruins did it in 2004 against Montreal. I also have seen the Celtics come back from 1-3 often.

The hardest win to get in a best of seven is number 4. I believe it will come for the White Sox.No offense, fenway, but I think we can manage this on our own without any help.

Brian26
10-17-2005, 03:04 PM
The hardest win to get in a best of seven is number 4. I believe it will come for the White Sox.

Wasn't that hard.

Sorry it took the Red Sox 7 games. :whiner: