PDA

View Full Version : Telander misquote?

DrCrawdad
10-16-2005, 09:59 AM
''I think the umpiring in this game is why we're behind 3 to 1,'' grim-faced Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.

That's the quote as it appears in Rick Telander's column today. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick16.html)

Is that actually what Scioscia said? I just relistened to Scioscia's post-game interview. As it concluded Scioscia ticked off the list of questionable calls but then said that they didn't lose because of the umpires calls.

Scioscia seems to be a very classy, upbeat guy. I have a hard time believing he made the comment that Telander has in the column. Anyone know the facts?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 10:08 AM
That's the quote as it appears in Rick Telander's column today. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick16.html)

Is that actually what Scioscia said? I just relistened to Scioscia's post-game interview. As it concluded Scioscia ticked off the list of questionable calls but then said that they didn't lose because of the umpires calls.

Scioscia seems to be a very classy, upbeat guy. I have a hard time believing he made the comment that Telander has in the column. Anyone know the facts?

Here's the more relevant question: Did Mike Scioscia truly tick off the list of questionable calls at the post-game interview?
:?:

If he did, it perfectly explains why his team is feeling sorry for itself and playing ****ty baseball. Who is responsible for making sure his team is ready to play?
:o:

If I were you I would be rethinking long and hard whether Mike Scioscia is an "upbeat, classy guy" or whether in fact he is ****ing over his own team by dwelling on this ****.

Kilroy
10-16-2005, 10:14 AM
If I were you I would be rethinking long and hard whether Mike Scioscia is an "upbeat, classy guy" or whether in fact he is ****ing over his own team by dwelling on this ****.

I haven't heard Scioscia bad-mouth any of the umpiring in any of the post games even tho he's got a right to be upset about it. He's been nothing but class in the comments I've heard.

downstairs
10-16-2005, 10:15 AM

It's a fine line for a manager.

I think you have to make it known to the umps that you know bad calls were made. But you can't make that your team's focus.

To just "let it go" and ignore it completely is probably bad managing... since PR and politics is certainly a small part of managing.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 10:20 AM
I haven't heard Scioscia bad-mouth any of the umpiring in any of the post games even tho he's got a right to be upset about it. He's been nothing but class in the comments I've heard.

So Mike Scioscia is running down Paul Byrd in the dugout after Fox shows the guy chirping in the dugout about dropped third strikes? And he does this repeatedly because guys like Paul Byrd have been doing it repeatedly, right?

Gotcha. Mike Scioscia is a classy guy but he is not responsible for making sure his team has it's game face on.

You call him classy. I call him incompetent. If he doesn't quickly get his head out of his ass, I'll be calling him loser, too.

:cool:

DrCrawdad
10-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Here's the more relevant question: Did Mike Scioscia truly tick off the list of questionable calls at the post-game interview?
:?:

If he did, it perfectly explains why his team is feeling sorry for itself and playing ****ty baseball. Who is responsible for making sure his team is ready to play?
:o:

I see your point.

Yes, Scioscia did list the close calls in game 4. He didn't come off to me as a whinny crybaby. He sounded sincere when he said that the umpires weren't responsible for the loss, and he was right on that.

harwar
10-16-2005, 10:23 AM
since PR and politics is certainly a small part of managing.

Tell that to Joe torre :)

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 10:26 AM

Yes, Scioscia did list the close calls in game 4. He didn't come off to me as a whinny crybaby. He sounded sincere when he said that the umpires weren't responsible for the loss, and he was right on that.

No argument from me. Scioscia is *saying* the right things in front of the press, but I'm not judging his managerial acumen based on that. I'm judging him by the way his players are behaving, especially inside the dugout. There is an awful lot of chirping going on right under Scioscia's nose...

Scioscia definitely does not have his hen house in order. He's the manager and it's definitely his job to fix the problem. When he spends time ticking off all the calls that went against his team, he is telegraphing to his players that it is okay to dwell on them -- just like their manager is.

I like to think Ozzie Guillen understands what I'm talking about. Clearly Mike Scioscia doesn't.

downstairs
10-16-2005, 10:29 AM
No argument from me. Scioscia is *saying* the right things in front of the press, but I'm not judging his managerial acumen based on that. I'm judging him by the way his players are behaving, especially inside the dugout. There is an awful lot of chirping going on right under Scioscia's nose...

Absolutely. Players should never be chirping about the umps. The manager should at times, maybe... but absolutely shut your players up and make them focus on the game.

rocky biddle
10-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Telander had the quote wrong. Scioscia said the umpiring isn't the reason they're down 3-1. It's shocking that a Suntimes columnists would fail to double check his facts.

gaelhound
10-16-2005, 12:17 PM

Odd coincidence that A "DR. Crawdad" would post on a misleading story by a guy who while in college played in a band named the Del Crustaceans! Another Fact is that Rick is a Cub's fan first and last. Unvarnished truth will not be flowing from his word processor any time soon. I have in my possession a photo of Rick in one of those baseball bat neck ties with the Cub logo prominently displayed! Any story this guy covers will be tinted Honolulu blue!http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/scrubs25.gif