PDA

View Full Version : Bob Sirott's Top 10: Why Sox R Better

Wsoxmike59
10-16-2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sirott14.html

10. Ozzie Guillen is a lot more fun to watch than Dusty Baker. Dusty always has a toothpick in his mouth. Big deal. What comes out of Ozzie's mouth is always an adventure.

9. That "Sox Pride'' franchise history video they show on the scoreboard at the beginning of the game. Those images, along with dramatic music working the crowd into a frenzy, even gave this Cubs fan goosebumps.

8. The food at the park. My favorite is the corn stand where they remove the corn from the cob. I like it with just butter and salt. I've never seen that anywhere else, not even at Taste of Chicago. And naming concession stands after former players is a nice touch. The Cubs should open up a "Mick Kelleher -- I never hit one home run -- Powerade Drink Stand.''

7. Those black-and-tan Sox team jackets. Nicest in the majors.

6. The ghost of Bill Veeck. His great spirit is everywhere in the ballpark. The most powerful apparition at Wrigley is that of a goat.

5. It's nice to be supporting a franchise whose history requires you to go back only 88 years for World Series championship memories, instead of 97 years.

4. The striking southern view of our great city from the ramps on the north end of "The Cell.'' And that always reminds me of how close I am to Chinatown, and the great Italian restaurants of Taylor Street and Oakley Boulevard, when I'm at the game.

3. Nice to hear fans yelling "go, go, go'' inside the park, instead of motorists yelling "go, go, go'' to drivers in front of them circling Wrigleyville endlessly as they search for nonexistent North Side parking spaces.

2. The nonstop scoreboard videos, games and giveaways -- all accompanied by blaring, upbeat music between every inning. It's like the timeouts at Bulls games at the United Center.

1. I'm really only a half-hour from Wrigley Field, where I can go after a Sox playoff game to get relief from my pounding headache. Because lately you can count on peace, quiet, and solitude around that park in October.

arbutron
10-16-2005, 11:14 AM
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Cheers, Bob. Now, get some WS stuff for your studio.

:cheers:

Chisox003
10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I'll be honest, I got a kick out of a few of those (Especially #1)....

But seriously, if I hear the words "Cubs" or "Northside" or "Wrigley" one more time as the Sox are on the brink of their first pennant in 46 years, I will :puking:

:smile:

SOXSINCE'70
10-16-2005, 05:40 PM
:whocares
Sirott is a bandwagon jumper,just like the "Heine-bird".
Puh-leez.And has anyone noticed all the "GO SOX" signs on
restaurant billboards and the like?? Where were they in July
or August?? Waiting for the Sox to choke,that's where.
Well,it didn't happen then,and it ain't happening now.

GO SOX!!

Vernam
10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Wake me when Walter Jacobson switches sides. :cool:

vernam