PDA

View Full Version : Is Fox trying to paint the Sox as bad guys???

IJay22
10-16-2005, 03:40 AM
It seems like FOX is trying to portray the Sox have been cheating their way through this series. That catcher interference play shouldn't have been showed so many times. They are trying to make people feel sorry for the Angels. Sorry, but the Angels have atleast won a World Series in this decade(2002) so why feel sorry for them? Its the Sox time to shine, so back off FOX. Plus I'd rather listen to Tom Brennen and Steve Lyons w/ Bob Brentley than Buck,McCarver, and Pinella(stick to being a manager please). If its the Sox vs. Cardinals in the WS, Buck and McCarver will sound like they doing a Cardinals game instead of a national broadcast.

MUsoxfan
10-16-2005, 03:42 AM
Can't cheat if the ump says it's all good. The umps made all those calls

DaleJRFan
10-16-2005, 04:05 AM
If Steve Finley would have pulled his head out of his ass and ran to first base instead of whining like a sissy, he wouldn't have hit into a rally-ending double play.

chitownhawkfan
10-16-2005, 06:02 AM
If Steve Finley would have pulled his head out of his ass and ran to first base instead of whining like a sissy, he wouldn't have hit into a rally-ending double play.

Truth, just put your head down and run, and it is a fielders choice.

fquaye149
10-16-2005, 07:42 AM
fox=:whiner::whiner::whiner:=angels

JackParkman
10-16-2005, 08:11 AM
I loathed Joe Buck before this series began, so I'm having a tough time coming up with a word that properly describes my feelings for him now.

harwar
10-16-2005, 08:27 AM
They just go on and on ... about how the umpires are giving the series to the White Sox so i just turned the sound down.
Jon miller and joe morgan weren't any better,they just went on and on ...
Thank God for Rooney and Farmer!
I can understand fox being that way as i believe that rupert murdochs' empire is centered in socal but espns' jon miller seems to really hate the Sox.
Hawk and DJ should do some pirate shows broadcast from a ship offshore.

soxruleEP
10-16-2005, 08:42 AM
This is typical of network guys. The nature of the game means there is a lot of time to fill in a baseball broadcast. A local team can fill that with discussion of things they actually know about the team or personal conversation that the local fans will find relatively interesting because they have an on-going relationship with the announcing team.

Network idiots, on the other hand, have to remain impersonal and robotic. They also have to manufacture a story line for non-followers of the team; hence, we get the "curse" and the reliance on the "umpires handing the series to the Sox" idiocy.

Technology also contributes to this story line emphasis. They can run a replay a hundred times and assemble a montage of "blown calls." The fact remains that there are a minimum of 254 umpires calls in a game and if you subjected every call to the level of scrutiny that now pertains, you could find many blown calls.

This particular story line allows the sports announcers to pretend they are actual journalists instead of glorified describers for the blind. They are "looking out for the integrity of the game." And the really big morons on sports blab ahev a ready made topic: "Do we need instant replay in baseball?" Never mind that it can't work in a game that has built in pauses--football--let alone a game with "flow" like baseball.

Now if WMVP would get their collective heads our of their collective rumps and ultilize their own digital delay to sync the radio broadcast to the television image, we wouldn't have to endure the rise in our collective blood pressures.:angry:

PaulDrake
10-16-2005, 08:43 AM
If Steve Finley would have pulled his head out of his ass and ran to first base instead of whining like a sissy, he wouldn't have hit into a rally-ending double play. You're so right. He puts his head down and runs = no double play. In any case, when you lose by 6 runs don't complain about anything except your lousy performance.

Rustyzipper
10-16-2005, 09:12 AM
They just go on and on ... about how the umpires are giving the series to the White Sox so i just turned the sound down.
I can understand fox being that way as i believe that rupert murdochs' empire is centered in socal but espns' jon miller seems to really hate the Sox.

I totally agree, FOX has 8 positive things to say about the Angels, to 1 for the Sox.

.... what I really LOVE is the fact that the White Sox are kicking Butt, so they can say what ever they want.

I miss Hawk and DJ ..... They made the game so much more fun to watch.

GO SOX, tonight we will make our City proud.

CHEESESOXER
10-16-2005, 09:37 AM
It seems like FOX is trying to portray the Sox have been cheating their way through this series. That catcher interference play shouldn't have been showed so many times. They are trying to make people feel sorry for the Angels. Sorry, but the Angels have atleast won a World Series in this decade(2002) so why feel sorry for them? Its the Sox time to shine, so back off FOX. Plus I'd rather listen to Tom Brennen and Steve Lyons w/ Bob Brentley than Buck,McCarver, and Pinella(stick to being a manager please). If its the Sox vs. Cardinals in the WS, Buck and McCarver will sound like they doing a Cardinals game instead of a national broadcast.

Looks more like Sox/'stros.
That would help to de-whine them a little, after their incessant tears about why the others aren't in the WS.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Gosh, you don't think Tim McCarver and Joe Buck might continue disrespecting the Sox if the St. Louis Cardinals win the pennant, do you?

:cool:

ajtokarz
10-16-2005, 09:47 AM
I loathed Joe Buck before this series began, so I'm having a tough time coming up with a word that properly describes my feelings for him now.

Lemme help you out....

....OK.....I tried, i got nothing. ONE word is hard without being vulgar.

Cambridge
10-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Truth, just put your head down and run, and it is a fielders choice.

More importantly, the umpires get the call right and is NOT a fielder's choice.

Something White Sox fans need to keep in mind: Had these calls all gone the Angels' way, the announcers would be saying EXACTLY the same things. They'd be going on-and-on, endlessly, about how the White Sox were being screwed. Which team it's happening to is irrelevant to their commentary.

credefan24
10-16-2005, 10:26 AM
The Fox guys absolutely stunk. Crede made 2 fantastic plays late in the game, and they just continued to say "Vlad is still stuck in a slump." Hey goofballs, how about that great dive Crede made to nail him out? No, that wasn't relevant.
I agree with the original poster, McCarver and Buck are trying to make the Sox look like the bad boys, cheaters, call it what you want. I guess it's cheating when you have 3 of your starters pitch complete games. And did anyone see the post-game interview with Pods, where the reporter asked him if he thought the ump blew the pick off call? Pods responded, "the ump called me safe" with a little grin on his face. First of all, what kind of moron question is that? Is he actually going to say "yeah, I was out by a country mile, and didn't deserve to be called safe?" Sheesh!

These guys are jokers, the Sox are showing the world how to play baseball, and just keep getting stronger with each play. And it aggrivates the heck out of the broadcasters.

GO SOX

Realist
10-16-2005, 10:35 AM
I dunno know. It seemed to me that Fox did a fairly decent job of giving props to our starting pitching. I think the fact that Ozzie let Freddie finish that game and give us 3 straight complete playoff games went a long way to throwing water on that smoldering fire from the horrible officiating that's been present in this series.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "bitching" about the officiating, Hell, they seem to be continuously screwing up in our favor. If they're gonna screw anybody with bad calls, but them than us.

elrod
10-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Based on the OC media, the story is dominant White Sox pitching, not bad umping.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_717539.php

gaelhound
10-16-2005, 10:47 AM
The TV broadcast is very Halocentric. It is not so much Sox pitching as it is cold Angel hitting. Finley had to try to sell the interference, not run flat out to first.
The Angels are wondering when the "breaks" will start going their way. The Angel pitching is a little bit off, the Sox are not hitting them, really. The series would be completely different if only the umpiring had been "fair" to the Angels.
There are not enough brooms and shovels in California to clean up after these guys!:angry:

harwar
10-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Somewhere along the line,the powers that be will realize that continued complaints against the umpires will only hurt baseball.
They need to move on and start talking about how great pitching and defense are back in vogue and how that is great for everyone that loves the game.
If they want everyone to forget about the bogus homerun races,steroids,and juiced balls then they will damn well start talking about all the good things that will come out of this resurgence of baseball,the way it was meant to be played.

TornLabrum
10-16-2005, 10:57 AM
The TV broadcast is very Halocentric. It is not so much Sox pitching as it is cold Angel hitting. Finley had to try to sell the interference, not run flat out to first.
The Angels are wondering when the "breaks" will start going their way. The Angel pitching is a little bit off, the Sox are not hitting them, really. The series would be completely different if only the umpiring had been "fair" to the Angels.
There are not enough brooms and shovels in California to clean up after these guys!:angry:

When you put the ball in play, you run. Then you bitch about the call. You saw exactly what selling the play netted the Angels.

FarWestChicago
10-16-2005, 11:13 AM

Something White Sox fans need to keep in mind: Had these calls all gone the Angels' way, the announcers would be saying EXACTLY the same things. They'd be going on-and-on, endlessly, about how the White Sox were being screwed. Which team it's happening to is irrelevant to their commentary.Wrong. Buck and McCarver are clearly waving rally monkeys before, during and after every game. Lou is the only one remotely objective in the booth. Hell, even mullet Brantley and the doofi at ESPN are giving the Right Sox more credit that the Fox goons. :rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
10-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Something White Sox fans need to keep in mind: Had these calls all gone the Angels' way, the announcers would be saying EXACTLY the same things. They'd be going on-and-on, endlessly, about how the White Sox were being screwed. Which team it's happening to is irrelevant to their commentary.

Even if that were the case, constantly harping about it throughout the game is ridiculous. They claimed Podsednik was out on that pickoff throw to 1st--well, that was not conclusive upon the replay even though they claim it was. The camera did not have the right angle to determine that. If they had used a reverse angle we all could have gotten a better look. For them to just jump to that conclusion based on the camera angle we saw, and then make a comment after he scored a run how that run should not have scored was total B.S.

gobears1987
10-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Hawk and DJ should do some pirate shows broadcast from a ship offshore.Actually, Fox has incentive to hate the Angels. Murdoch owns the Dodgers and they have a relationship with the Angels similar to ours with the FLubs. It shows us News Corp is a far better media corporation than the Tribune Company.

soxtalker
10-16-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see what the Angel fans think of the broadcast. They probably think that it was biased towards the Sox, as there were plenty of (positive) comments about the Sox.

The FOX broadcast was probably fine. This happens every playoff series. The fans of each team think that the national announcers are biased toward the other team. I remember it happening back in the 90's with the Bulls. We Chicago fans complained bitterly that the announcers were against us. I had friends in NY and Phoenix, and there were plenty of complaints in those cities that the announcers were biased toward us.

Bottom line, we can always listen to the radio.

Bucky F. Dent
10-16-2005, 11:39 AM
If these things had been happening to say, the Yankees, they would have been comended for taking advantage of the opportunities presented to them. It would have been called "smart baseball."

It's not one of the media's prima donnas, so its cheating.

TornLabrum
10-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Even if that were the case, constantly harping about it throughout the game is ridiculous. They claimed Podsednik was out on that pickoff throw to 1st--well, that was not conclusive upon the replay even though they claim it was. The camera did not have the right angle to determine that. If they had used a reverse angle we all could have gotten a better look. For them to just jump to that conclusion based on the camera angle we saw, and then make a comment after he scored a run how that run should not have scored was total B.S.

What I saw an the replay was the glove "in" Podsednik's armpit where they froze the frame. However, I did not see the cloth in his uniform move until after the freeze frame, and by that time it appeared to me that his hand had touched the bag.

TornLabrum
10-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Actually, Fox has incentive to hate the Angels. Murdoch owns the Dodgers and they have a relationship with the Angels similar to ours with the FLubs. It shows us News Corp is a far better media corporation than the Tribune Company.

Murdoch sold the Dodgers over a year ago.

Professor
10-16-2005, 11:56 AM
What this is all ultimately leading up to is the headline: "This time the White (Black) Sox Cheat to WIN the World Series!"

The White Sox are the pariah of MLB...or at least to the media. That much should be clear. They are artificially creating a narrative, to make the "story" more exciting. This is because they are not true baseball fans, who appreciate how utterly exciting baseball is in and of itself. Their narrative structure is ancient. They need to have a force of "good" versus a force of "evil." Simply watch the past 5 years of post-season baseball coverage. There is always an ethical dualism cast by the media coverage. They love that the Yankees are perceived as the "Evil Empire"--that is their story. Therefore, they can completely ignore the drama that is baseball. It is their own ignorance (and the majority of their viewing audience's to be fair) that forces them to resort to such tired rubrics.

Given all of this, don't expect any external support. All we White Sox fans can do is collectively revel in great baseball and block out the windbags, both inside and outside of Chicago.

Reni
10-16-2005, 11:57 AM

no doubt!! He should have either

A. not run and called interference

or

B. be a decent baserunner

freakin idiot

http://www.moviehole.net/img/napoleondynamite.jpg

fquaye149
10-16-2005, 11:59 AM
They are artificially creating a narrative, to make the "story" more exciting. .

:Jacques Derrida:
"Sacre Bleu!"

:Jean Baudrillard:
"The ALCS never happened!"

Mendoza Line
10-16-2005, 12:06 PM

ONLY if Hawk wears the eyepatch again! And DJ has to wear the mullet.
My dad noticed that Lou Pinella sounds like Jim Ross from WWE Raw... now I can't stop hearing it too. I expect a "By Gawd, Ozzie hit 'im with a chair!"

tebman
10-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Buck has always annoyed me. I'd almost rather listen to Berman on ESPN -- he's annoying too, but goofy. Buck has that fake-cosmopolitan, oh-so-cool quality that Fox loves. The White Sox and their fans aren't cool, so clearly they have no business being in the playoffs.

You can hear it in Fox's whole production. The Joe Jackson references, the constant harping on the dropped third strike, the "breaks" going the Sox' way, and on and on.

I listen to the radio and deal with the brief delay on TV. I feel like Rooney and Farmer are telling me what to watch for, like an insider's tip. :cool:

batmanZoSo
10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah that run on a fielder's choice would've saved them hapless sum****.

Just get out of our way. This ends today.

RedPinStripes
10-16-2005, 12:21 PM
If the Sox are going to win it all as "the evil enemy" fine. **** Fox too. This isnt as bad as ESPN was though . that was the worst I've ever heard for a national broadcast.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 12:24 PM

I listen to the radio and deal with the brief delay on TV. I feel like Rooney and Farmer are telling me what to watch for, like an insider's tip. :cool:

EXACTLY. The TV delay is your friend. Embrace it. I watch nearly all the important Sox games during the season with the volume turned down and the radio turned up. Rooney & Farmer tell me everything I need to know even before the play happens. Then I know precisely what to look for when the pictures come up.
:thumbsup:

In fact the only time I listen to Buck/McCarver/Piniella is when the TV pictures obviously indicate they are going off on some stupid tangent about AJ Pierzynski or the umpires. They were practically gleeful describing Iguchi's "neighborhood" play at second base last night.
:o:

RedPinStripes
10-16-2005, 12:28 PM
EXACTLY. The TV delay is your friend. Embrace it. I watch nearly all the important Sox games during the season with the volume turned down and the radio turned up. Rooney & Farmer tell me everything I need to know even before the play happens. Then I know precisely what to look for when the pictures come up.
:thumbsup:

In fact the only time I listen to Buck/McCarver/Piniella is when the TV pictures obviously indicate they are going off on some stupid tangent about AJ Pierzynski or the umpires. They were practically gleeful describing Iguchi's "neighborhood" play at second base last night.
:o:

Good idea. I'm going to learn to deal with the delay tonight.

Wsoxmike59
10-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Luckily I've missed a few of the National broadcasts because I've been fortunate enough to have been to all 4 home playoff games so far.

That being said, I thought the broadcast last night was slanted enough towards Anaheim to get me to change over to Rooney and Farmer in the 2nd inning. (Could they show the replays of the catcher's interference any more times....or Scotty Pods pick off attempt??) ***

BUT...did anybody catch Jeannie Zelaskow's comment during the pregame with Kevin Kennedy and Kenny Lofton? She was talking about the pitching match ups and said that Freddy Garcia had not witnessed last Wednesday's "atrocity" (obviously meant in reference to Game 2)because his wife was busy giving birth to their 1st daughter.

"Atrocity"??? No sorry Jeannie, but I thought it was an "atrocity" that YOU cut off Ernie Harwell in midsentence at last summer's All-Star game pregame show!! BIMBO!

D. TODD
10-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Almost every play has been described as a negative play by the Angels, ignoring the positive play by the Sox. ( Erstad being thrown out at third, barely a mention of a perfectly executed relay, and Quinlin being praised numerous times for his fine effort to cut down Rowand in game 2). All in all it's fine with me though, I don't need the announcers to point out the way the Sox are outpreforming the Angels to this point. In a weird way I hope the national media continues to find excuses for why the Sox are still winning. Just keep winning fellas and let the nimrods keep finding ways to explain it.

D. TODD
10-16-2005, 01:52 PM
I do think Freddy Garcia received very little respect prior to game 5. He was 11-3 lifetime against the Angels, had a strong post-season record, and yet the majority of "experts" gave Ervin Santana the edge based on a strong outing against the Sox at night during the season. Wow, I thought to myself, there is no way I would feel more confident if Santana was toeing the rubber for the Sox against a Freddy G. led Angel team. All of the experience, and battle tested logic was thrown out of the window pregame, but big Fred showed up just as he did when facing playoff games in the past. Santana on the other hand looked v shaken from the start. Oh well, Post game respect is far better then pre game respect anyday!

Vernam
10-16-2005, 05:37 PM
In fact the only time I listen to Buck/McCarver/Piniella is when the TV pictures obviously indicate they are going off on some stupid tangent about AJ Pierzynski or the umpires. They were practically gleeful describing Iguchi's "neighborhood" play at second base last night.:o:I was SO relieved that call went against Iguchi. Can you imagine the outcry if it hadn't? Despite the six-run margin, that play would have been the cherry on top for Buck and McCarver.

In today's print/web coverage, it was easy to spot which stories had been mostly written early in the game and which had been written late for filing just before deadline. The later ones gave the Sox their due, but the others were ready to jump all over the Umps Gone Wild theme yet again because of the missed interference call. Rappoport's column today was especially shameless -- I regret having defended the guy in the past.

Somewhere along the line,the powers that be will realize that continued complaints against the umpires will only hurt baseball.
They need to move on and start talking about how great pitching and defense are back in vogue and how that is great for everyone that loves the game.That's what I kept telling myself until last night's orgy of bad-mouthing the umps. Can you imagine David Stern allowing that ****? But the fact that it continues in MLB's showcase shows just what a whore Selig is for the networks. Oh, I don't doubt he's asked them to tone it down. I just doubt they pay an instant's attention to him.

Every single baseball game has calls that could legitimately go either way. Yet the sport's integrity somehow survived a hundred years of the fans' knowledge that, though umps' calls were imperfect, they were invariably honest and worthy of respect. Congratulations, FOX, on having undermined that integrity in a single week's work, and all in a misguided, panic-driven quest to boost ratings because your Boston and NYC icons got knocked out in the first round. The thing that really worries me is: What will you do for an encore?

Vernam

Domeshot17
10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I have no idea who has the Astros Cards game, I think its Lyons and Brenly and someone else, but when they throw mentionedof the ALCS coming up, they keep raving about the white sox pitching. Suprises me, because I would assume Brenly would take any shot he could because of the Cubs, but I guess he is a paycheck announcer, with no true cub loyalty. Normally am not a huge fan of these guys ( although they are the best of the garbage Fox has) but have enjoyed the compliments.

I actually Like Piniella up there. He has done a good job letting the world know when calls do not go your way, good teams rise above them, and struggling teams use them as an excuse. He has some interesting input, and he loves Freddy.

Fenway
10-16-2005, 05:53 PM
The only thing Fox wants is 7 games a short series hurts them bigtime

I think FOX wants Houston against the White Sox. Yankees fans will watch in horror as ex NYY pitchers trot to the mound

A. Cavatica
10-16-2005, 06:01 PM
"Atrocity"??? No sorry Jeannie, but I thought it was an "atrocity" that YOU cut off Ernie Harwell in midsentence at last summer's All-Star game pregame show!! BIMBO!

Careful Mike. I got a week's vacation for using the B word.

RadioheadRocks
10-16-2005, 06:04 PM

... and now it's time for WORDS TO LIVE BY, presented this evening to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver...

Pitchin', not Bitchin', wins Championships!!!

Tragg
10-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Brenly, while annoying when announcing the cubs, has managed a team to a world title, and knows a little something about the game - get him out of cubbiedom, and he can do a good job.

I was unable to see yesterday's blowout, unfortunately, but it must be that but for the call, the Angels would have had a 6 run inning.

RadioheadRocks
10-16-2005, 06:12 PM
:Jacques Derrida:
"Sacre Bleu!"

:Jean Baudrillard:
"The ALCS never happened!"

Or Victoria Principal could wake up and tell us she's just had the most horrible dream... :rolling:

SOXSINCE'70
10-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Good idea. I'm going to learn to deal with the delay tonight.

My friends and I dealt with it last night.It was a lot better listening
to Rooney and Farmer,even though "Konerko hits a drive,deep left
center field!" occured 7 to 10 seconds before he did it on TV.

spongyfungy
10-16-2005, 06:41 PM
no. buck, mccarver are told to play up the controversy angle. MLB/FOX are just loving it and are trying to make it the story.

I hope they play the quote from Scioscia saying "the umps didn't make us lose this game" I'd really would like the Fox crew to play up the dominance of our starting pitching, which they did when as the game went on. I think that'll come more into focus like the "hey the nation should be rooting for the White Sox" articles that are popping up.

tebman
10-16-2005, 07:24 PM
The only thing Fox wants is 7 games a short series hurts them bigtime
That's the real bottom line here. Fox, probably more than other networks, is all about sizzle and not steak. They're in the advertising business, not the broadcasting or sports business -- they paid huge money for the MLB rights and they fully intend to get their money back. The White Sox are not their friends right now because they're shortening the playoff series and reducing the available commercial time. So I don't doubt that some of that stuff we here from the Fox yakkers is genuine anger over a shorter series. The rest of that blather focusing on how the Angels have been "cheated" is to build controversy. Controversy is what Fox does best.

bigfoot
10-16-2005, 11:37 PM
That's the real bottom line here. Fox, probably more than other networks, is all about sizzle and not steak. They're in the advertising business, not the broadcasting or sports business -- they paid huge money for the MLB rights and they fully intend to get their money back. The White Sox are not their friends right now because they're shortening the playoff series and reducing the available commercial time. So I don't doubt that some of that stuff we here from the Fox yakkers is genuine anger over a shorter series. The rest of that blather focusing on how the Angels have been "cheated" is to build controversy. Controversy is what Fox does best.

What?!?!?!

You mean that Faux Sports wasn't "fairly balanced"?!?!?:o: