PDA

View Full Version : Bold move or hasty move


moochpuppy
12-12-2001, 08:09 AM
Should the Sox go after either Brian Giles or Darrin Erstad and mortgage some of the future?

I say yes to Giles (without giving up Buerhrle) and no to Erstad.

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,169780,00.html

dougs78
12-12-2001, 08:57 AM
agreed, Giles is well worth it but I don't think erstad is. Really even with Giles, hopefully the mortgage won't be too tremendous. We truly do have a load of young pitching, more than could ever fill our MLB roster. If even some of them reach their potential then we should be ok. With that said, I think we will be ok by trading perhaps 2 of them along with Lee for Giles who is a well-proven all-star caliber player. There is a good chance that many of them will never make it big and this makes the trade even better on our part. Think about how much we missed Aaron Myette this year? (and no, I dont' care who he was traded for :smile: so don't comment on that!) And he was considered one of our top guys a few years back.

To me the difference between singleton/rowand and Giles is MUCH larger than the long term or short term difference that it could make in our pitching staff.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Should the Sox go after either Brian Giles or Darrin Erstad and mortgage some of the future?

I say yes to Giles (without giving up Buerhrle) and no to Erstad.

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,169780,00.html


I agree.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Should the Sox go after either Brian Giles or Darrin Erstad and mortgage some of the future?

I say yes to Giles (without giving up Buerhrle) and no to Erstad.
Agreed.

Pete Ward
12-12-2001, 01:16 PM
If you can get Giles ... GO GET HIM , I'd gladly give up a couple of "promising arms" if need be.

I brought this up on the board 2 months ago. Trade Lee, Wells and a minor arm for Giles and an arm back.

I'd keep Singleton untill Borchard is ready. Use Giles in Left .

Sign Jason Schmidt to fill the rotation spot.

Trade Clayton for batting practice balls. Put Manos at SS, Crede at 3b.

A couple of Cents...

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ward
If you can get Giles ... GO GET HIM , I'd gladly give up a couple of "promising arms" if need be.

I brought this up on the board 2 months ago. Trade Lee, Wells and a minor arm for Giles and an arm back.

I'd keep Singleton untill Borchard is ready. Use Giles in Left .

Sign Jason Schmidt to fill the rotation spot.

Trade Clayton for batting practice balls. Put Manos at SS, Crede at 3b.

A couple of Cents...


.....and a HORRIBLE defense........and no chance for a championship.

AsInWreck
12-12-2001, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31



.....and a HORRIBLE defense........


Seems to me Giles would be an improvement defensively in left and Crede throws better leather than Perry,i don;t see how the defense wouldn't be improved

Daver
12-12-2001, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31



.....and a HORRIBLE defense........and no chance for a championship.

You trying to say that Royce could lead the Sox to a championship?



BUHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dying here.........