PDA

View Full Version : Where Are the Dark Clouds?

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 10:26 PM
What do you people have to say for yourselves now? :cool:

TornLabrum
10-15-2005, 10:29 PM

The next game we lose, they'll be back.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 10:31 PM
The next game we lose, they'll be back.

Even if that's next April?

Palehose13
10-15-2005, 10:32 PM

I'm hoping that we don't hear from them until then.

TheOldRoman
10-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Yes. They will say "this was such a disheartening loss, we will NEVER repeat. This team isn't half as good as last year's team.

Meanwhile, Hangar will say "If only they had paid for Lee and Magglio the SOX would be able to repeat. Instead, they took the cheap way out and will settle for one championship. Dye really really sucks."
:redneck

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 10:37 PM

I'm hoping that George will ban most of them as a result of the Sox having advanced to the World Series, and/or winning it, since he did that when they clinched the division.

Palehose13
10-15-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm hoping that George will ban most of them as a result of the Sox having advanced to the World Series, and/or winning it, since he did that when they clinched the division.

George may not be the only one. This Polly Anna has some paying back to do. :wink:

TornLabrum
10-15-2005, 10:38 PM

You read my thoughts precisely.

iamkoza
10-15-2005, 10:39 PM
they're still there... but someone hooked up some lighting for the time being :)

soxjim
10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Dark clouds. They Gone. Thought I had one today. Our car junked out on us on our way to Chicago. So we saw the game at our apartment with friends. No dark clouds among us, just a lot of cheering and high fives.

Huisj
10-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Judging by the weather patterns, they've all gone out to the east coast for the last couple weeks.

pudge
10-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Intriguing question: Will so many people still hate Reinsdorf after we win it all?

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Intriguing question: Will so many people still hate Reinsdorf after we win it all?

I don't anymore. After seeing the way he's handled the success of this season, I no longer question his desire to win. Thinking about it now, I actually think Reinsdorf's philosophy has helped Ken Williams improve as a general manager. Think about it. Because KW knows that he's going to have a smaller budget than most other GM's, he has to be smarter than his collegues. Thus, Williams has become extremely good at finding good players whom other teams may have passed on (i.e. Juan Uribe, Jermaine Dye, etc.), rather than breaking the bank for a player who may not be worth it (Randy Johnson).

I'm actually looking forward to hearing what JR has to say if the Sox win tomorrow.

fuzzy_patters
10-15-2005, 11:36 PM

He is a heck of a lot better than any other owner in Chicago.

fquaye149
10-15-2005, 11:53 PM

"damn umpires!"

Chips
10-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Judging by the weather patterns, they've all gone out to the east coast for the last couple weeks.

They're on the West coast now.

Palehose13
10-16-2005, 12:10 AM
They're on the West coast now.

So they lifted from over your head?

jabrch
10-16-2005, 01:26 AM

I'm hoping we never hear from ANY of them again. If you can't handle losses, bad stretches, bad seasons, bad decades, etc., you should not be a fan of any sports team.

The Sox Fans Dark Clouds make me sick - regardless of if we win or lose. I'm thrilled that, for the most part, WSI has remained free of those people. (That, and I have the Ignore feature that helps me not have to see posts from some of the worst of the worst!!!)

batmanZoSo
10-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Yes. They will say "this was such a disheartening loss, we will NEVER repeat. This team isn't half as good as last year's team.

Meanwhile, Hangar will say "If only they had paid for Lee and Magglio the SOX would be able to repeat. Instead, they took the cheap way out and will settle for one championship. Dye really really sucks."
:redneck

hEY MAN i don't care, I'm looking forward to those kind of problems. "This team isn't quite the same as the one last year that ****ing dominated the piss out of the AL, then stomped the crap out of the feeble NL opponent."

jabrch
10-16-2005, 01:32 AM

WHO CARES?

I never hated JR to begin with.

Do I agree with everything he does? NOPE But do I think that he did as much as possible, within his power, short of actually making the White Sox a money LOSING operation on an annual cash operating basis (please nobody start to explain to me about realestate, franchise values, or anything else - I am talking CFFO) to make the Sox a winner? Yes I do. He's not Mark Cuban. He's not George Steinbrenner. But we are much more fortunate to have him than to have the Tribune Corp, The Glass Family, the Wirtzes, the McCaskey/Halases, or dozens of other sports team's owners.

Either way, I'll judge JR more by what he allows KW to do in this offseason than I will for what happens in this season. I'll appreciate this year a lot - and be very eager for our chance to defend.

DaleJRFan
10-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Either way, I'll judge JR more by what he allows KW to do in this offseason than I will for what happens in this season. I'll appreciate this year a lot - and be very eager for our chance to defend.

There's two schools of thought here. Let's assume the Sox do win the WS. JR could go two ways. One, he could go cheap and tell KW that he managed to win with a cheap team, why would he increase payrole? OR - he could say "Hey! Let's do this again" and shell out the cash for PK, raises for JG, Pods, and a few upgrades...

I'm more interested in seeing what KW will do with some of the more promising prospects, like Young, Sweeney, Rogowski, etc..

jabrch
10-16-2005, 02:06 AM
There's two schools of thought here. Let's assume the Sox do win the WS. JR could go two ways. One, he could go cheap and tell KW that he managed to win with a cheap team, why would he increase payrole? OR - he could say "Hey! Let's do this again" and shell out the cash for PK, raises for JG, Pods, and a few upgrades...

I'm more interested in seeing what KW will do with some of the more promising prospects, like Young, Sweeney, Rogowski, etc..

I agree with you...

I do think that with the increased revenue from all the anticipated season ticket sales that will happen before the season starts as well as the extended post season revenue, he can spend more without risking the revenue side of the equation than he has been in any season in the past decade. It would surprise me if the payroll isn't about $10mm more than it was this year.

And you are right - with McCarthy in the rotation next year, and a load of talent in AA and AAA, the next few years look fairly bright.

voodoochile
10-16-2005, 02:11 AM
With apologies to Pete Seeger - one of the great American songwriters ever:

Where have all the dark clouds gone?
Long time passing.
Long time ago.
WSI stomped them to a man.
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Fuller_Schettman
10-16-2005, 02:13 AM
I'm just curious to find out from whom we will be getting Carl Everett back next July!

jabrch
10-16-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm just curious to find out from whom we will be getting Carl Everett back next July!

I'll be just as happy to get him back as I was the first two times we got him.

SOXfnNlansing
10-16-2005, 03:33 AM
What do you people have to say for yourselves now? :cool: I think voodoo banned them:bandance:

voodoochile
10-16-2005, 03:35 AM
I think voodoo banned them:bandance:

T'weren't me. I like them around so I can taunt them...:D:

PaulDrake
10-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Where are you going to draw the line? When the lead was down to 1 1/2 many posters voiced concerns. The truth is, there was much to be concerned about for about a month and a half. The Sox, being the champions they are, didn't cough it up when the pressure reached a fever pitch. Now they are giving us the thrill of our sports lives, and much confidence for the future. What a starting rotation! Ozzie is right, don't wake the monster up. Put them away tonight, and those of you in Chicago will have a celebration us ex patriots will miss greatly. Now is not the time to stick it to people. With very few exceptions, those of us here are all die hards. Some of us for a very long time.

CHEESESOXER
10-16-2005, 09:56 AM

"We're going back home to flubs park where we belong."

DumpJerry
10-16-2005, 10:08 AM
The Dark Clouds are in total dismay over the fact that while we are celebrating this squeaker of a post season, we're ignoring the fact that our batters are averaging three outs per inning.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 11:07 AM
The Dark Clouds are in total dismay over the fact that while we are celebrating this squeaker of a post season, we're ignoring the fact that our batters are averaging three outs per inning.

I know you meant it as a joke, but frankly it is precisely this sort of thinking that makes the Dark Clouds so confused while watching a ballgame.

There is NO clock in baseball. There is no inning that would ever end -- EVER! -- if all the hitters just did what they're suppose to do. Namely, get on base.

And no inning would ever end if the pitcher simply failed -- over and over, again -- to accomplish what they're supposed to do. Namely, get three outs.

And here is the part that drives them nuts: until the game is over, NOBODY wins! You can't win the game if you keep hitting forever! And you can't lose the game if your pitching fails forever! The game just keeps going!

Dark Clouds treat baseball like they're watching the NFL. Or the NBA. Or hockey. The concept that you must first fail before you can win a baseball game is totally foreign to them.

They're idiots and they made themselves look foolish over and over again this summer and previous summers, too. Many of them have been banned, and still others are afraid to come here, because they know they chewed up their last bit credibility to discuss ANYTHING intelligently after Cleveland's big drive for the playoffs got swept away by the Sox three straight head-to-head. Inside Jacobs Field, too!
:o:

The Dark Clouds get exactly what they deserve. It sucks to be so short-sighted, but every single one of them has it coming in spades for being guilty of exactly that sin.

TornLabrum
10-16-2005, 11:13 AM
I know you meant it as a joke, but frankly it is precisely this sort of thinking that makes the Dark Clouds so confused while watching a ballgame.

There is NO clock in baseball. There is no inning that would ever end -- EVER! -- if all the hitters just did what they're suppose to do. Namely, get on base.

And no inning would ever end if the pitcher simply failed -- over and over, again -- to accomplish what they're supposed to do. Namely, get three outs.

And here is the part that drives them nuts: until the game is over, NOBODY wins! You can't win the game if you keep hitting forever! And you can't lose the game if your pitching fails forever! The game just keeps going!

Dark Clouds treat baseball like they're watching the NFL. Or the NBA. Or hockey. The concept that you must first fail before you can win a baseball game is totally foreign to them.

They're idiots and they made themselves look foolish over and over again this summer and previous summers, too. Many of them have been banned, and still others are afraid to come here, because they know they chewed up their last bit credibility to discuss ANYTHING intelligently after Cleveland's big drive for the playoffs got swept away by the Sox three straight head-to-head. Inside Jacobs Field, too!

The Dark Clouds get exactly what they deserve. It sucks to be so short-sighted, but every single one of them has it coming in spades for being guilty of exactly that sin.

Does this mean we won't be hearing the pearls of wisdom from ChiSoxBob anymore?

DumpJerry
10-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I did not use teal on purpose. While most of us would joke that it is a sign of weakness that a baseball team is averaging three out per inning, Dark Clouds would put a negative spin on it and be serious as heart attacks about the fact. I was mocking them on their own pessimistic view of the world.

TheOldRoman
10-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Does this mean we won't be hearing the pearls of wisdom from ChiSoxBob anymore?
You didn't hear? He got the surgery. He is ChiSoxBobbette now.
Oh, and his gonads are SHRINKING

RKMeibalane
10-16-2005, 12:07 PM
You didn't hear? He got the surgery. He is ChiSoxBobbette now.
Oh, and his gonads are SHRINKING

I don't think he'll be back anytime soon. I believe he was given the postseason off this year, for obvious reasons.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 12:09 PM
http://thewizardofoz.warnerbros.com/movie/img/photos/photo6.jpg

(From left to right) Inta, ChiSoxBobette, and Jay Mariotti

RKMeibalane
10-16-2005, 12:11 PM
http://thewizardofoz.warnerbros.com/movie/img/photos/photo6.jpg

(From left to right) Inta, ChiSoxBobette, and Jay Mariotti

:rolling:

Palehose13
10-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Where are you going to draw the line? When the lead was down to 1 1/2 many posters voiced concerns. The truth is, there was much to be concerned about for about a month and a half. The Sox, being the champions they are, didn't cough it up when the pressure reached a fever pitch. Now they are giving us the thrill of our sports lives, and much confidence for the future. What a starting rotation! Ozzie is right, don't wake the monster up. Put them away tonight, and those of you in Chicago will have a celebration us ex patriots will miss greatly. Now is not the time to stick it to people. With very few exceptions, those of us here are all die hards. Some of us for a very long time.

Draw the line? What are you talking about? Did you give the White Sox an ultimatum? "Win or I'm going to be a Yankee fan!"

The "dark clouds" claim to be Sox fans. While I have no problem with criticism, I had a HUGE problem with "This team sucks and isn't going anywhere" over and over again. That isn't criticism, it's trolling.

It must be easy to jump off the ship when the ride is rough, and then jump right back on when all is well. :rolleyes:

santo=dorf
10-16-2005, 12:21 PM

homefish is actually comparing this series to the 2003 cubs series and was predicting that the old Jon Garland would show up and give up loads of walks and home runs. :rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
10-16-2005, 12:28 PM
homefish is actually comparing this series to the 2003 cubs series and was predicting that the old Jon Garland would show up and give up loads of walks and home runs. :rolleyes:

He is actually doing this? Where is he posting at?

zach23
10-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Draw the line? What are you talking about? Did you give the White Sox an ultimatum? "Win or I'm going to be a Yankee fan!"

The "dark clouds" claim to be Sox fans. While I have no problem with criticism, I had a HUGE problem with "This team sucks and isn't going anywhere" over and over again. That isn't criticism, it's trolling.

It must be easy to jump off the ship when the ride is rough, and then jump right back on when all is well. :rolleyes:

Like I said in one of the chisoxbob rant posts awhile back, it is much sweeter celebrating now having been onboard the whole time.
I think so many of the Dark Clouds are so upset that they can't come and complain about low payroll, JR, Kenny Williams, etc. that they aren't even fulling enjoying what is one of the best times in most of our lives to be a Sox fan.
Sometimes I feel sorry for them, but they made the choice to complain and give up just because things got a little tough. Nothing good ever comes easy. I am happy to be basking in a euphoric state of Sox bliss right now.

kaufsox
10-16-2005, 03:04 PM

I don't think the original poster was drawing a line with the Sox, but rather with what is the definition of a dark cloud. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried when the lead shrunk down to 1 1/2. Does that make me a dark cloud? At least I wasn't a "basket case" like the owner of the team, I'd probably be banned.

Palehose13
10-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't think the original poster was drawing a line with the Sox, but rather with what is the definition of a dark cloud. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried when the lead shrunk down to 1 1/2. Does that make me a dark cloud? At least I wasn't a "basket case" like the owner of the team, I'd probably be banned.

I know what he meant. There is a difference between stating your worries or concerns and "dark cloud trolling".

This is stating concerns:

I anticipate a postgame horror-fest where people will blame Hernandez for the loss. I would like thos people to show me a stats of how many games have been won by a team scoring zero runs. The offense lost this game. El Duque could have gone 8 innings and given up 1 run, but it wouldn't have mattered. The offensive output was absolutely horrible and shameful. Santana is a great pitcher, but he is nowhere close to what he was last year. I believe he has 10 wins against teams other than the White Sox (14 total after today). This is the same Santana that gave up 4 runs in only 5 innings that last time the Indians faced him. The Sox got off on the wrong foot by striking out 3 times in the first, and didn't get a baserunner until the 5th inning. Not having seen the game, there is no excuse for such horrible offensive "output" in such a big game. Santana has owned us, but it is all in our hitters' heads. Like I said, his era is 3.04 this year, and only 1.16 against the Sox. It wouldn't have mattered if Cy Young pitched for us today, the Sox hitters just didnt come to win today.

This is a "dark cloud post":

They ****ing suck! CASE CLOSED.

Now do you see the difference and where the line is drawn?

MRKARNO
10-16-2005, 03:29 PM

The White Sox lost over 60 games this season! Their leadoff hitter got out more than 65% of the time! Some of the hitters got out more than 70% of the time. Are you trying to tell me that this is a success? Look at Kyle Horton. He only failed 40% of the time today. Now that is success.

PaulDrake
10-16-2005, 04:30 PM

It must be easy to jump off the ship when the ride is rough, and then jump right back on when all is well. :rolleyes: I just want to enjoy the rest of the season. I rarely read ChiSoxBob or Inta. When it comes to the Sox I'm not much different than I was at age 10. The highs are exhilirating and the lows are well, just low. There is no team in any sport that can affect my mood or disposition like the Sox. In the meantime I hope they can close the deal tonight and all of you folks in the midwest can party like you haven't in a long time. I was going to say party like it's 1699 but I don't know how many weird Al fans there are out there.

PaulDrake
10-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I don't think the original poster was drawing a line with the Sox, but rather with what is the definition of a dark cloud. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried when the lead shrunk down to 1 1/2. Does that make me a dark cloud? At least I wasn't a "basket case" like the owner of the team, I'd probably be banned.Thanks. That's pretty much what I meant. I wasn't a basket case, but I was very concerned. Like I said, when the pressure was really on, they put the Indians in the rear view mirror in a hurry.

tstrike2000
10-16-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm surprised you guys haven't banned me. I've posted some frustration here and there in the last few years and through that six week period we weren't hitting.

jabrch
10-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks. That's pretty much what I meant. I wasn't a basket case, but I was very concerned. Like I said, when the pressure was really on, they put the Indians in the rear view mirror in a hurry.

No - the Indians put themselves in the rear view mirrror. They played almost .800 baseball. That's INSANE. They were 37 and 11 from Aug 1 until Sept 24. That's .771 We didn't put them there. Give credit where credit is due - those guys played GREAT baseball. We played somewhere over .500 during that timeframe...just not .800 ball.

TornLabrum
10-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I know what he meant. There is a difference between stating your worries or concerns and "dark cloud trolling".

This is stating concerns:

This is a "dark cloud post":

Now do you see the difference and where the line is drawn?

Was it Hugo Black who said, "I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it"?

PaulDrake
10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
No - the Indians put themselves in the rear view mirrror. They played almost .800 baseball. That's INSANE. They were 37 and 11 from Aug 1 until Sept 24. That's .771 We didn't put them there. Give credit where credit is due - those guys played GREAT baseball. We played somewhere over .500 during that timeframe...just not .800 ball. I don't want to get into any kind of argument, especially tonight. All I meant was the Sox floundered a long time and many of us became shall we say concerned. Whether that makes one a dark cloud I don't know. The Indians played great during much of the time the Sox were struggling, but just when naysayers and cub fans wanted the Sox to complete the el foldo, they rose to the occasion. Now they're on the brink of something that my limited vocabulary can't do justice to. That's all I care about, and my best wishes to everyone.

Daver
10-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't want to get into any kind of argument, especially tonight. All I meant was the Sox floundered a long time and many of us became shall we say concerned. Whether that makes one a dark cloud I don't know. The Indians played great during much of the time the Sox were struggling, but just when naysayers and cub fans wanted the Sox to complete the el foldo, they rose to the occasion. Now they're on the brink of something that my limited vocabulary can't do justice to. That's all I care about, and my best wishes to everyone.

Did you really think the Sox were going to play .700 baseball the entire season?

Palehose13
10-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Was it Hugo Black who said, "I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it"?

Hal, do you have pornography on your mind? :wink:

jabrch
10-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Did you really think the Sox were going to play .700 baseball the entire season?

DING DING DING...

TornLabrum
10-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Hal, do you have pornography on your mind? :wink:

Only in terms of defining dark cloudism.

PaulDrake
10-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Did you really think the Sox were going to play .700 baseball the entire season? Of course not.