PDA

View Full Version : Air Raid?

G-Ville Sox
10-15-2005, 10:14 PM
I have been wanting to ask this question for a while, but now is the appropriate time.

WHEN the Sox win tomorrow, will Mayor Daley sound the "air-raid" sirens like they did in '59.

I remember seeing my grandfathers copy of the newspaper from the day after, always been something I would hope they would do again.....In my generation!

Tomorrow we shall :gulp: and be merry, for we will be AL Champs!

TheDarkGundam
10-15-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a question, do city's actually have air-raid sirens anymore?

Maybe it will just be the tornado siren, but i am positive da mayor will do it. (assuming he has a reason to do it, which i hope he will)

house215
10-15-2005, 10:22 PM
I doubt it... seeing the state the world is in right now I would doubt Da Mayor would want to freak any out that isn't a baseball fan.

korhead
10-15-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm hoping for sirens--probably won't be as big a surprise at it seems to have been in '59. I think it's a tradition that I could get used to.

:bandance:

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-15-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm hoping for sirens--probably won't be as big a surprise at it seems to have been in '59.

Well, it wouldn't be a surprise for older Chicagoans or people up on their Sox history - but frankly, there aren't enough of those people for the city to take the risk. Sadly, the entire city is not made up of WSI members :D: As cool as it would be to have sirens go off, I think it's probably smarter not to.

LongLiveFisk
10-15-2005, 10:31 PM
I wasn't around in '59 so I would LOVE to experience the sirens! And I think after 46 years, they are definitely warranted. :D:

HawkDJ
10-15-2005, 10:36 PM
I doubt it... seeing the state the world is in right now I would doubt Da Mayor would want to freak any out that isn't a baseball fan.

Ok clearly I do not know that much about the history of my country, but we were still in the midst of a Cold War in 59?

FARMEO
10-15-2005, 10:37 PM
When Daley was asked if he won't set off the sirens during an interview before game one of the ALCS, he just smiled and said something along the lines of you never know.

Palehose13
10-15-2005, 10:40 PM
When Daley was asked if he won't set off the sirens during an interview before game one of the ALCS, he just smiled and said something along the lines of you never know.

I also thought that I heard or read that he couldn't do it because of national security or some stuff like that.

antitwins13
10-15-2005, 10:42 PM

1959 was in the heart of the Cold War. I think there was probably more paranoia back then than today.

rwcescato
10-15-2005, 10:42 PM
I have been wanting to ask this question for a while, but now is the appropriate time.

WHEN the Sox win tomorrow, will Mayor Daley sound the "air-raid" sirens like they did in '59.

I remember seeing my grandfathers copy of the newspaper from the day after, always been something I would hope they would do again.....In my generation!

Tomorrow we shall :gulp: and be merry, for we will be AL Champs!

I believe he said he will turn on the sirens if it happens. I won't be able to hear it because I don't live in the city but it will be awesome.

Brian26
10-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I also thought that I heard or read that he couldn't do it because of national security or some stuff like that.

Daley dug up an airport in the middle of the night because he felt like it. He can do anything he wants to :D:

Ol' No. 2
10-15-2005, 10:49 PM
I also thought that I heard or read that he couldn't do it because of national security or some stuff like that.What are they going to do to him if he does?

SoxFanSince67
10-15-2005, 10:51 PM

Uhmmm...when did that ever stop a Daily from doing what they wanted..I say, sound those sirens...

popilius
10-15-2005, 10:51 PM

I read this, too, but let's hope it was just a rumor!

:gulp:

nasox
10-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I read this, too, but let's hope it was just a rumor!

:gulp:

Probably a big bluff. They probably said, hey, if you sound the sirens we'll cut off O'hare support. Some suit up in washington from Homeland who can't do anything but bitch and moan and whine. Daley is stronger than that, and has pretty good public support, although the recent scandals have weakened them somewhat.

lths06
10-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Daley dug up an airport in the middle of the night because he felt like it. He can do anything he wants to :D:

:rolling: So true. Got to love Chicago politics...

Palehose13
10-15-2005, 11:10 PM
What are they going to do to him if he does?

I'm just reporting what I knew on the matter. I'm sure he'll do something. Wish I was there to hear/see it...hmmm...maybe I will go. ;)

Banix12
10-15-2005, 11:32 PM
What was the game time when the air raid sirens went off in 59? The games have been ending around 10:30 PM and I just can't see Daley setting off loud alarms at that time of night, even though in a perfect world everybody should be up watching the game anyway.

slavko
10-16-2005, 12:06 AM
What was the game time when the air raid sirens went off in 59? The games have been ending around 10:30 PM and I just can't see Daley setting off loud alarms at that time of night, even though in a perfect world everybody should be up watching the game anyway.
IIRC, the sirens went off close to 2 hours after the clinching. That's part of what caused the panic in '59. The game ended well before 9 CDT, since it was played in the Eastern Time Zone. People didn't make the connect between the Sox and the sirens.

MRKARNO
10-16-2005, 12:12 AM

Seriously. Nothing would happen if he did. He'd probably get more votes if he did than if he did not. Besides, he's good friends with Bush as far as I know, so that wouldnt be an impediment.

SweetnesSox
10-16-2005, 12:17 AM
What are they going to do to him if he does?

nothing. Daley owns this city. :sopranos

peeonwrigley
10-16-2005, 12:57 AM
If we get good news from Anaheim I would expect it. If the boys finish up here I don't think they'll do it. If something besides either of these scenarios happens, you can find my jumping off the Clark St bridge into the river. Just my opinion.

jabrch
10-16-2005, 01:23 AM

That's such bullcrap. If I am Daley, there is no way in hell I let anyone ruin one of the greatest moments in this city's last 40 years.

SOXintheBURGH
10-16-2005, 01:31 AM
That's such bullcrap. If I am Daley, there is no way in hell I let anyone ruin one of the greatest moments in this city's last 40 years.

EXACTLY!!!

All this "current state of the world" stuff is meaningless.

1959 = Communist!!!!!!!!!

Ahora = Terrorist!!!!!!!!!!

A pennant siren would be fun and games.

"If I were to walk around wielding SUPREME EXECUTIVE POWER because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!"

StockdaleForVeep
10-16-2005, 03:51 AM
It will be a state of emergency because the cub fans in the city are gonna explode from the concept of the sox beatin the cubs to the series first

MUsoxfan
10-16-2005, 03:56 AM
Hizzoner can probably get away with almost anything he'd like in this city. A "precautionary tornado siren" probably wouldn't do much harm:cool:

chitownhawkfan
10-16-2005, 06:09 AM
As much as a threat as terrorist are, they are minimal compared to the threat that the Commies were in 59. Nobody can stop da mare from celebrating. Lets not kid ourselves, he owns this city, what he says goes. You can count on the air raid sirens (which are nothing more than tornado sirens going non stop)

downstairs
10-16-2005, 07:50 AM

Well, kinda anything he wants to. Something tells me the Feds have a complete lock down on anything that may cause even the slightest panic.

Homeland Security could care less what internal political stuff Daley does. Even if tearing down the airport were completely illegal, that's for other Federal departments to worry about.

But air-raid sirens... something tells me that is not going to happen.

I *wish*... but I'll bet not.

SouthSideSoxFan
10-16-2005, 08:37 AM
From USA Today Sports Weekly - October 5-11, 2005 - page 29:

"[...]

But if the White Sox do win the World Series, don't expect the air raid sirens to roar again, even with die-hard Sox fan Richard M. Daley, also known for being one of the most powerful figures in Illinois politics, in the mayor's office where his father once ruled.

[...] Despite his love for the Sox, he won't emulate his father for the celebration.

'The Department of Homeland Security won't let me set off the sirens,' Daley says with a laugh. 'It would be a great celebration for the city, though. It would make some noise.'

[...]"

downstairs
10-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Couldn't they do something like set off fireworks in different (safe) places in the city?

At the Cel, near downtown, on the west side, and of course... Clark & Addison...

ajtokarz
10-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Couldn't they do something like set off fireworks in different (safe) places in the city?

At the Cel, near downtown, on the west side, and of course... Clark & Addison...

My sources tell me that they are setting up the C-4...I mean Fireworks at an undisclosed location on the North Side around Clark & Addison......

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 09:53 AM
My sources tell me that they are setting up the C-4...I mean Fireworks at an undisclosed location on the North Side around Clark & Addison......

I seriously doubt Daley would turn on the air raid sirens. Been there, done that.

However I'm rather intrigued with how Daley gets his way in the wee hours of a Sunday night. If the city can bulldoze Meigs Field, why not the Urinal, too?
:wink:

:hizzoner
"You can trust my kid to do the right thing. And as for our critics, there is always mistletoe hanging from my coattails. GO SOX!"

:fans
"Michigan Avenue needs widening, too! Right through Ann Marie Lipinski's lobby!"

http://journalism.medill.northwestern.edu/inside/2001/pix/lipinski-130x168.jpg
"I'll get you, my WSI pretties -- and your little dog, too!!!"

gaelhound
10-16-2005, 11:03 AM
National Security? This is the American Leauge Pennant we're talking about!:tongue:

Disantinon
10-16-2005, 11:44 AM
How much panic would the air raid sirens really cause? No one under the age of 40 even knows what an air raid siren is. Most people would think it was the tornado sirens, look outside at the clear skies, and figure someone just screwed up.

chisoxfan64
10-16-2005, 12:32 PM
http://cgi.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/design/10/18/preservation.ap/link.richard.daley.nthp.jpgCelebration, what celebration? This was a planned test for the air raid sirens in the great city of Chicago. I just want to make sure my citizens are safe if anything should ever happen.:hizzoner That`s my boy.

batmanZoSo
10-16-2005, 12:49 PM

Daley is our earthly God. Da mare doeth what he pleaseth.

http://cgi.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/design/10/18/preservation.ap/link.richard.daley.nthp.jpg
I am that I am.

Fenway
10-16-2005, 12:54 PM
The order has been given no doubt

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0719/4742020_320X240.jpg

HotelWhiteSox
10-16-2005, 12:58 PM
The state of the world was bad in 1959 too. If you live in Chicago and don't know about what the White Sox are accomplishing then you deserve to be scared out of your mind

SouthSide_HitMen
10-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I have a question, do city's actually have air-raid sirens anymore?

Maybe it will just be the tornado siren, but i am positive da mayor will do it. (assuming he has a reason to do it, which i hope he will)

Yes - You can hear them if you listen closely when they are tested on Tuesdays at 10:30 am (IIRC - could be at 10:00 am).

We do not have tornado sirens - the closest a tornado came to Chicago was Oak Lawn in the late 1960s (IIRC).

Ol' No. 2
10-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes - You can hear them if you listen closely when they are tested on Tuesdays at 10:30 am (IIRC - could be at 10:00 am).

We do not have tornado sirens - the closest a tornado came to Chicago was Oak Lawn in the late 1960s (IIRC).Air raid sirens and tornado sirens are one and the same. The Oak Lawn tornado was in 1967. I remember it well.

daveeym
10-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I also thought that I heard or read that he couldn't do it because of national security or some stuff like that. I've only seen that posted by people here. I don't think there's any truth to that. The only thing actually ever said about it was the question asked of Daley and his sly reply indicating that it WILL be done.

IronFisk
10-16-2005, 01:39 PM
The state of the world was bad in 1959 too. If you live in Chicago and don't know about what the White Sox are accomplishing then you deserve to be scared out of your mind

Amen! Especially with like, a jillion sports-related media bombarding us from all directions. In 1959...just newspapers and the 10:00 news (with no live remotes I would betcha).

CaptainBallz
10-16-2005, 01:47 PM
During the pregame of ALCS Game 1, Daley was on and that question came up. He was appropriately elusive, if you all recall.

I'm totally keepin it cool!

Fenway
10-16-2005, 01:47 PM
from the NY Times September 23, 1959

CaptainBallz
10-16-2005, 01:57 PM
*****---THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!!!!!

DumpJerry
10-16-2005, 02:05 PM
On the post game show last night, Brian Dalgin said it was announced that the sirens would NOT be used.

I think it would be a great moment to push the button on the charges in The Urinal.....oh wait, we're supposed to be nice to the Flubs....hmmmm...how to celebrate..........I know, win the WS and just tell everyone next summer "The White Sox are the World Champions." That sums it up!:D:

Brian26
10-16-2005, 02:20 PM
On the post game show last night, Brian Dalgin said it was announced that the sirens would NOT be used.

Dolgin came off like a clueless twerp last night when he essentially hung up on a very congenial caller who suggested AM 1000 synch up their broadcast delay with that of Fox's tv signal so people at home could listen to John and Ed while watching the muted tv broadcast. Dolgin told the guy, in a very smart-ass tone, to "call your local cable provider."

Classy! :thumbsup:

Man, I wish Willsy was still around to experience this season.

Fenway
10-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Dolgin came off like a clueless twerp last night when he essentially hung up on a very congenial caller who suggested AM 1000 synch up their broadcast delay with that of Fox's tv signal so people at home could listen to John and Ed while watching the muted tv broadcast. Dolgin told the guy, in a very smart-ass tone, to "call your local cable provider."

Classy! :thumbsup:

Man, I wish Willsy was still around to experience this season.

tell Dolgin WEEI does it as best they can ( problem is what do you sync up to? analog, digital, dish? they all have different delays especially the Motorola boxes

Brian26
10-16-2005, 02:30 PM
tell Dolgin WEEI does it as best they can ( problem is what do you sync up to? analog, digital, dish? they all have different delays especially the Motorola boxes

The Cubs did it in '03, and WBBM regularly does it for the Bears. But, the tone of Dolgin towards this caller was completely unnecessary. The caller was sober, witty, and very congenial. Dolgin took it like a personal insult then told him something completely out of line. Call your local cable company? Are you serious? It's the radio signal that can be delayed with the push of the button. The cable company line is just so humorous for anyone who's ever tried dealing with RCN or Comcast around here (45 minute hold on the phone, then a rude operator who has no clue how to help you.) Willsy would have never talked back to a caller like that. Night and day...

Fenway
10-16-2005, 02:32 PM
The Cubs did it in '03, ..

Actually that was simply the normal delay of Santo's brain :rolleyes:

MRKARNO
10-16-2005, 02:36 PM

Just like Meigs Field would NOT be demolished :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Dolgin should have told the caller why the TV delay is a GOOD thing and left it at that.

If your brain can't comprehend what it's being told without benefit of pictures, your problems understanding the game of baseball go beyond WMVP's early signal. This is BASEBALL. Everybody on the field, in the dugouts and in the bullpen is playing the game inside their head 1-2 pitches ahead of the actual count. And now we're going to bitch about 5 seconds?

:?:

jabrch
10-16-2005, 04:03 PM
And now we're going to bitch about 5 seconds?

:?:

I said it a long time ago - we could win the World Series, and some of our regular posters here would find something to bitch about. Today it just so happens to be the 5 second delay.

Fenway
10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
http://www.ioffer.com/img/1121756400/_i/7537218/1.jpg

Hoping tomorrows Trib is similar :smile:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-16-2005, 05:38 PM
http://dbman.pair.com/Barbara_Hale_Annex/documents/1942-10-07_Chicago_Daily_News-Cover.jpg

Bring back the Chicago Daily News and omit the word "City" and I'm a happy camper. :cool: