PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemen's mom wants Sox-'Stros WS

soxfanreggie
10-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Roger Clemen's mom predicts Sox-Astros World Series the day she dies...God Bless her soul! She never said who she wanted to win either :rolleyes:

Go Sox!

BRDSR
10-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't know if this is Talking Baseball, Sox Clubhouse, or Whats the Score, but is anyone watching the NLCS right now? I only caught the last part of this, but something about Roger Clemens' mother saying the name Shoeless Joe Jackson 40 times the day she died? Then they put Clemens on screen and he says he sure does believe stuff like that and that it seems that it will be a White Sox/Astros World Series? Did I hear this right?

ilsox7
10-15-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't know if this is Talking Baseball, Sox Clubhouse, or Whats the Score, but is anyone watching the NLCS right now? I only caught the last part of this, but something about Roger Clemens' mother saying the name Shoeless Joe Jackson 40 times the day she died? Then they put Clemens on screen and he says he sure does believe stuff like that and that it seems that it will be a White Sox/Astros World Series? Did I hear this right?

Three times, not 40.

JorgeFabregas
10-15-2005, 05:15 PM
3 times, not 40.

Edit: beat me too it.

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2005, 05:21 PM
As Ozzie tells his "keeds", one game at a time.The Sox need to
win 2 more games to get to the WS.A win tonight,and the magic
number becomes 1.:cool:

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 05:23 PM
I would love to see Sox-Astros series. The pitching matchups would be amazing, and it would also keep the media quiet, as their favorites would be long gone. Fans would also be able to see Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas face off.

I'm still holding out hope that Frank will make a Kirk Gibson-like appearance, but there's virtually no chance whatsoever of that happening.

In the meantime, Game 4 is tonight. The Sox need to get by Orange County first.

HotelWhiteSox
10-15-2005, 05:24 PM
A couple chilling stories there. First off, she passed during the day and he pitched at night, as scheduled (she wanted him too). Lyons was telling a story on how during the day, she told Roger's sister that the final score at night would be 10-2. Roger knew his offense didn't score a lot for him, and jokingly told his teammates that they better show up since the score was going to be 10-2. Low and behold, final score, 10-2, including a run driven in by Roger and one of the opponent's runs coming in because of a rare error (only 2 or 3 all year) by a certain Houston fielder.

Now to the Sox related story, they said that another thing she said before she passed was 'Shoeless Joe Jackson' 3 times. I know he said it was her favorite movie, but very interesting. Roger said so as well as they cut to a interview with him, and he said he doesn't mind who wins the AL, but he had that in mind.

Very interesting how this sort of stuff works, one thing I know, she raised one hell of a pitcher, and I don't know him, but from the part of Canseco's book (of him being the only guy he's ever seen as loyal to his wife in his career) and how he has always talked about his devotion to his mother in past interviews, one hell of a son as well. Cheers :gulp:

SweetnesSox
10-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Roger Clemen's mom predicts Sox-Astros World Series the day she dies...God Bless her soul! She never said who she wanted to win either :rolleyes:

Pretty sure she's rooting for the Astro's in heaven.

Too bad God's in charge! He's rooting for the Sox!

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 05:40 PM
I would love to see Sox-Astros series. The pitching matchups would be amazing, and it would also keep the media quiet, as their favorites would be long gone. Fans would also be able to see Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas face off.

I'm still holding out hope that Frank will make a Kirk Gibson-like appearance, but there's virtually no chance whatsoever of that happening.

In the meantime, Game 4 is tonight. The Sox need to get by Orange County first.

Might as well put Frank on the WS roster. We don't really need Ozuna, Harris AND Blum on the roster. It's wasted space. We could actually use Frank, whether or not he can run. Have him PH.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Might as well put Frank on the WS roster. We don't really need Ozuna, Harris AND Blum on the roster. It's wasted space. We could actually use Frank, whether or not he can run. Have him PH.

There's an article on the Sox official site stating that Frank's ankle/foot has shown a lot of improvement. He is scheduled to have the cast removed in just under two weeks, at which time he will start wearing a walking boot. I thought the most significiant- and encouraging- part of the article was that Frank said he was able to put weight on the ankle without pain. I don't remember the last time he said that.

I just can't shake the feeling that Thomas still has a role to play this season, as ludicrous as that sounds. Maybe it's because I want him out there, if only for one measly at-bat. Maybe it's because I don't want to see Harris or Blum hitting. I don't know. I just refuse to believe we've seen the last of him.

ilsox7
10-15-2005, 05:46 PM
There's an article on the Sox official site stating that Frank's ankle/foot has shown a lot of improvement. He is scheduled to have the cast removed in just under two weeks, at which time he will start wearing a walking boot. I thought the most significiant- and encouraging- part of the article was that Frank said he was able to put weight on the ankle without pain. I don't remember the last time he said that.

I just can't shake the feeling that Thomas still has a role to play this season, as ludicrous as that sounds. Maybe it's because I want him out there, if only for one measly at-bat. Maybe it's because I don't want to see Harris or Blum hitting. I don't know. I just refuse to believe we've seen the last of him.

Believe it. No way. No chance.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Believe it. No way. No chance.

Sorry. I've had too much Sox Kool-Aid.

gobears1987
10-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Believe it. No way. No chance.FOr this year yes, but we will see him again come February when position players report. No pink neccesary, JR and KW have said they want him back and Frank said he wants back.

CHISOXFAN13
10-15-2005, 06:07 PM
The starting pitching has proved we don't need 11 pitchers to win this thing.

I say let Frank suit up as the 25th man.

Call me crazy, but nothing would make me happier than to at least have the big man in uniform when the Sox win this thing.

Ol' No. 2
10-15-2005, 06:18 PM

Call me crazy, but nothing would make me happier than to at least have the big man in uniform when the Sox win this thing.There's nothing stopping him from being in uniform if he wants. No worry. He'll be on the roster when they repeat next year.

kittle42
10-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Clemen's????!!!!!!????!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Clemen's????!!!!!!????!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Yeah. I don't know who that is, either. :cool:

RedPinStripes
10-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh jeeeeeeezzzzz. I can see it now. The whole world series would be about Roger's Mother's predictions and how she's on the Astros side. Can I puke now and get it over with?

santo=dorf
10-16-2005, 01:46 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/eliw/starwars/swpics/emperor.jpg

"I too have forseen a White Sox-Astros world series"

HotelWhiteSox
10-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Well, technically, she never said the Astros would make it...I think they will though (but I think the series will definately go back to STL)

86metsghost
10-17-2005, 12:54 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/eliw/starwars/swpics/emperor.jpg

"I too have forseen a White Sox-Astros world series"

Didn't he also forsee Luke dying, and the rebels losing? And didn't he also (fail to) forsee Darth Vader throwing him into the generators?

:D:

34 Inch Stick
10-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I heard Clemens' mom wanted an Astros-Sox series. She asked Roger on her deathbed to give her ticket to Schuler on the day he pitches.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Here is a link from the story written on September 15, 2005:

http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dws/txcn/houston/stories/khou050915_cd_clemens.5d018f79.html

Clemens wins one for mom http://www.khou.com/bi/images/video_icon.gif

12:38 PM CDT on Thursday, September 15, 2005 Associated Press

HOUSTON -- In the final hours of her life, Rogers Clemens' mother was talking about baseball.

"This is momma, she was thinking baseball. She came to and asked if we were in the playoffs yet," Clemens said. "Out of nowhere came, she mentioned Shoeless Joe Jackson. It was unbelievable. ... I asked her if she was in the fields, and she said, `I think I am.' She just loves the game." ......

Clemens has talked about how much he hoped his mother would be able to attend his Hall of Fame induction.
"I wanted her to hang on so I could thank her properly at the Hall of Fame," he said. "I said that so many times, and I keep playing this silly game, and I love it. And I just hope, and I know, she enjoyed some of the games."

soxwon
10-20-2005, 11:26 PM
how good could clemens be?

The Cubs beat him atleast twice this year.

HotelWhiteSox
10-21-2005, 01:01 AM

Call me crazy, but nothing would make me happier than to at least have the big man in uniform when the Sox win this thing.

I wanted him on there too, mainly to make sure that he is on record as being a part of this historical team, but with games in a NL park, those spots are oh so important. One of our guys may be pitching a gem, and we may need to lift him anyways for offense, you just never know. Much more likelihood of America becoming familiar with the pen in this series