PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs. Santana

Chicken Dinner
10-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Onlyfaced him once this year and he pitched very well. We just need to stay focused and jump out early again. He pitched a complete game and gave up only 5 hits and 0 runs.

soxruleEP
10-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Sounds very similiar to Lackey's record until yesterday.

And their record against Freddie isn't impressive.

None of that matters now though. Today is different from other days.

credefan24
10-15-2005, 04:59 PM
As yesterday proved, the regular season stats are meaningless. I love how the Fox commentators were gushing over Lackey, even after Konerko tagged him for the homer, yet kept wondering if Garland was for real.

Santana is a good pitcher. He's a rookie, pitching in a huge post-season game. If the Sox can jump on him early, like last night, I like our chances.

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes,he beat Garland 3-0 earlir this year.He looked more like a right handed
Johan Santana than Ervin Santana that night.The key is to approach him
differently than the Sox did in May.Key # 2 is Garcia.He looks like he's
really laboring on the mound.If he gets through the first few innings with
no damage or minimal damage,the Sox are in good shape.

TDog
10-15-2005, 05:23 PM
The fact that the Sox have faced Santana already has to help them.

kjhanson
10-15-2005, 05:25 PM
The game earlier in the year was a disaster to watch. The Sox were not patient at all. Hopefully they come out and make the kid throw some pitches. On a related note, did anyone notice how much they talked up Santana's relief performance against the Yankees? They made him seem like God after the game was over. In reality, he went 5 innings and gave up 3 runs, hardly a lockdown job. Here's some splits on his performance throughout the regualr season:
Home: 9-3 3.18
Road: 3-5 7.43
Day: 2-4 8.01
Night 10-4 3.66

I don't really care what the number say though. Fact of the matter is, I'd rather face Ervin Santana than Freddy Garcia. We may have to deal with Santana, but they still have to deal with Freddy. I believe our task is more enviable.

Jurr
10-15-2005, 05:38 PM
All of the regular season stuff is meaningless. You're talking about players giving up at bats due to fatigue or the doldrums of a regular season. You're talking about teams flying from one coast to the other and then having to play a game the next day.....there are tons of factors that aren't applicable during October baseball.

I just wonder how a kid (Santana) is going to face the pressure of a must win ALCS game. He didn't have time to think about the ALDS game, due to the fact that he was thrown into the game with Colon's injury. You really don't have time to think about things in that case.

Angels hitters are pressing, not knowing whether to run up Sox pitchers' counts or to swing at the first pitch. Hopefully, Garcia keeps 'em guessing.
This is some fun stuff. GO ahead and put 'em away, Freddy!

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Santana has been very inconsistant the whole season. He has turned in gems like he did against the White Sox and he's had starts like the one in which he gave up 7 runs in 3 2/3 against Tampa Bay. We shouldn't expect anything from him, but I think we have a great chance to win this one.

gobears1987
10-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Sounds very similiar to Lackey's record until yesterday.

And their record against Freddie isn't impressive.

None of that matters now though. Today is different from other days.
Sorry, I can't resist...

Why is this night different from all other nights?

Or better yet...

Mah nishtanah halailah hazeh, Mikol haleilot?

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Mah nishtanah halailah hazeh, Mikol haleilot?

Well for starters, the White Sox are in the ALCS. :cool: