PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times: Comiskey renovation plan hits desk of No. 1 Sox fan

DrCrawdad
12-12-2001, 05:05 AM
Well it's about time...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-spt-comisk12.html

Comiskey renovation plan hits desk of No. 1 Sox fan

December 12, 2001

BY FRAN SPIELMAN CITY HALL REPORTER

White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf met with Mayor Daley--Chicago's No. 1 Sox fan--on Tuesday to share plans to soften Comiskey Park's much-maligned upper deck and make the ballpark more fan-friendly.

The third and most ambitious phase of the Comiskey renovation project reportedly carries a price tag of $40 million to $50 million. It calls for lopping off eight rows of the upper deck, flattening the stadium roof and creating a home-run porch in right field that harkens back to the days of old Comiskey.

A grand entrance would be created on Wentworth in response to complaints that Comiskey lacks the glamorous entryway that's a fixture at newer stadiums.

Al Lerner, chairman of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, accompanied Reinsdorf to City Hall. Both declined to discuss the booklet of drawings they carried into the mayor's office.

A source familiar with the Sox' plan said the ''upper-deck problem'' cannot be addressed quickly enough.

''The upper eight or 10 rows are used less than 2 percent of the time,'' the source said. "People would rather stand at lower levels than sit at the upper levels. They're talking about bringing down the level of the upper deck and adding seats in other places.

"All of the ballparks built 10 years ago were built in a symmetrical design, but that is not the case in recent years. One of the ways to make Comiskey more fan-friendly is to make it asymmetrical along the foul lines and in the outfield. They did some of that last year. They're talking about doing more of it.''

The Sox are eager to make the improvements quickly, using the $22 million that was directed to Comiskey from the Soldier Field renovation deal in order to win Reinsdorf's support. With interest rates low, the timing never has been better.

Earlier this year, the Sox announced that Round 2 of the Comiskey makeover, to be done before the 2002 opener, would include a multitiered, landscaped batter's eye in center field, a vertical screen behind home plate and improvements to the main concourse and club levels.

Round 1 added multiple rows of seating along the foul lines. The outfield fence was moved in 17 feet down the left-field line, 12 feet down the right-field line and three feet in right-center, giving the park asymmetrical dimensions. Left-center was extended by two feet. The bullpens were relocated.

Daley, a lifelong Sox season-ticket holder, has made no secret of his disdain for the upper deck. In private conversations, he has advocated eliminating the entire upper deck, dramatically reducing seating capacity.

DrCrawdad
12-12-2001, 06:48 AM
So once the top 8 rows of the Upper Deck are chopped off will people pine for the good old days sitting way up there? :whiner:

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
So once the top 8 rows of the Upper Deck are chopped off will people pine for the good old days sitting way up there? :whiner:

I'd love to see a small upper duck in the OF . Don't you miss the upper deck and roof shots?

Pete Ward
12-12-2001, 07:35 AM
LOL

I'd love to see a small upper duck in the OF .

Only if this small upper duck can hit and throw. :)

Kilroy
12-12-2001, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'd love to see a small upper duck in the OF . Don't you miss the upper deck and roof shots?

I could give a rat's ass about an upper deck, or any of that crap. All I wanna see is the White Sox winning the last game of the baseball season sometime soon...

nut_stock
12-12-2001, 12:30 PM
They would have to begin pretty soon to be able to have it completed by 2003 all-star game!!

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 12:43 PM
and creating a home-run porch in right field that harkens back to the days of old Comiskey.
Oh like this?
http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey1.jpg

It calls for lopping off eight rows of the upper deck, flattening the stadium roof
Oh like this?
http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey3.jpg

A grand entrance would be created on Wentworth in response to complaints that Comiskey lacks the glamorous entryway that's a fixture at newer stadiums.
Oh like this?
http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey4.jpg

We've been posting these photo's here at WSI since the end of last year. Nice reporting Sun-Times.

What?

nut_stock
12-12-2001, 12:49 PM
This is what I mean, looking at these photos (which are really cool by the way), how can they complete all of this by july 2003?

irish rover
12-12-2001, 02:17 PM
one good thing in the Battle of the Parks is that we have hizzoner on our side and it is good to see for once we do something smarter than the cubs and not pi** him off

Foulke You
12-12-2001, 02:34 PM
I laughed when I read that article. "Both declined to discuss the booklet of drawings..." You mean the drawings that everyone at WSI has seen for weeks? It's too bad someone competent from WSI covered the Sox for one of our major newspapers. At least then the non WSI folks could get detailed news about their team.

Also, can anyone explain why the White Sox get money from the Bears stadium deal? Not that I'm complaining, it just seems a little odd.

irish rover
12-12-2001, 02:42 PM
i think because the ISFA is doing the solider field remodel and the sox were able to coat tail themselves on to the bill I think

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
i think because the ISFA is doing the solider field remodel and the sox were able to coat tail themselves on to the bill I think

I found this on the Bears website:
Funding of the project will be in the form of an Illinois Sports Facilities Authority (ISFA) bond issue consisting of $387 million of usable bond proceeds. Existing tourist (hotel/motel) taxes will be utilized along with a significant $200 million private contribution from the Chicago Bears.

I think Rover is right the Sox had to agree to this and I'm sure Jerry demanded something in return.

mrwag
12-12-2001, 08:59 PM
I for one totally miss the upper deck and roof shot homeruns. Given the fact we have much better right handed hitting w/ Frank, Maggs, Konerko, Lee (maybe?), why not have the "homerun porch" on the side of the field where the majority of homeruns are hit? Also, I hope they move it in closer to the field. Piss on the poles and "unobstructed" views - bring the people closer to the action so we can watch them win that final game in October!

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Oh like this?
http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey4.jpg

We've been posting these photo's here at WSI since the end of last year. Nice reporting Sun-Times.

What?

That upper "deck" looks awesome! I hope they add it.