PDA

View Full Version : White Sox radio attracting some big names

Fenway
10-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Was talking to a friend yesterday who now works for XM after being the producer for Red Sox radio and he passed on to me what is being heard on the grapevine.

2 very big names have become interested.

One is Charlie Steiner who wants out of LA in the worst way. He replaced a long time voice of the Dodgers (Ross Porter) who Frank McCourt fired which enraged Vin Scully who according people in LA has told McCourt, either Steiner goes or I do.

But a real darkhorse has popped up. John Sterling does not want another year stuck with Dame Edna, but Steinbrenner won't budge as he loves her. He has told friends he could see himself going to Chicago.

The White Sox win...THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHITE SOX WIN (eek)

In any event my friend said Infinity in New York will make the final call.

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Two VERY interesting names there Fenway. Steiner would be awesome and Sterling wouldn't be bad either. I like Rooney more than Sterling, but Steiner would be a great replacement.

Fenway
10-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Two VERY interesting names there Fenway. Steiner would be awesome and Sterling wouldn't be bad either. I like Rooney more than Sterling, but Steiner would be a great replacement.

My guess would be Steiner. Frank McCourt is an idiot but he could never let Scully walk away......

Their was zero chemistry between Waldman and Sterling. It really was painful to listen to. But Suzan is beloved by George and that is all the counts in Yankeeland.

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 12:33 PM
My guess would be Steiner. Frank McCourt is an idiot but he could never let Scully walk away......

Their was zero chemistry between Waldman and Sterling. It really was painful to listen to. But Suzan is beloved by George and that is all the counts in Yankeeland.

I don't know how much of Sterling I could really take over an 162 game season:

http://www.yesnetwork.com/images/talent/bio/sterling.jpg
"Contreras is ready and Thaaaaaaa pitch....0 and 1. He gets set. Thaaaaaaaaaa pitch....0 and 2. Working quickly he's ready again. Thaaaaaaaaaaaa pitch. HE Struck him out!" A billion times over.

"Konerko hits it high in the air to left field! IT IS HIGGHHH! IT IS FAAAR! IT IS GOOOOOONE!" A billion times over

"THHHHHHHHHHHHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa WHITE Sox win!" A billion times over.

I like Sterling's signature calls, but I think they'd get annoying over 162 games.

Steiner on the other hand brings something different to the broadcast booth on a daily basis and is always entertaining.

LuvSox
10-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Steiner would be great, I enjoy his style.

dickallen15
10-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Why do I have a feeling the Score and Rooney will pull and A's/Macha and Rooney will be back where he belongs next season? Wouldn't these other 2 cost just as much as Rooney would? If they do, wouldn't it be a lot smarter to give the money to Rooney?

MrRoboto83
10-15-2005, 12:42 PM
possibly a world series appearance may change Rooney's mind?

Unregistered
10-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't know how much of Sterling I could really take over an 162 game season:

I like Sterling's signature calls, but I think they'd get annoying over 162 games.

Ugh... I can only imagine the headaches from one of the most annoying radio guys in the game:

"DYE HITS IT TO RIGHT! IT'S GOOOOOOOONE! DYE AND KONERKO GO BACK TO BACK, AND A-BELLY TO BELLY!"

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

This is also the same turd who calls Jason Giambi, "The Giambino." Blech.

longshot7
10-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Ugh... I can only imagine the headaches from one of the most annoying radio guys in the game:

"DYE HITS IT TO RIGHT! IT'S GOOOOOOOONE! DYE AND KONERKO GO BACK TO BACK, AND A-BELLY TO BELLY!"

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

This is also the same turd who calls Jason Giambi, "The Giambino." Blech.

I agree. I hate Sterling. I also don't see any changes to the Dodgers booth - if Vin was gonna raise hell about Ross Porter leaving, he'd have done it last year, when everyone knew Ross was a goner. They should fire Rick Monday, but that'll never happen. Worst. broadcaster. ever.

Nyls Nyman
10-15-2005, 01:05 PM
God, I hate John Sterling. WSCR may as well hire Chris Berman.

Steiner, I like. He's a Bradley graduate, so he knows where Illinois is on a map. And the old Sportscenter commercials showed that he doesn't take himself too terribly seriously. But I agree, why didn't Vin pitch his fit last year?

And I thought WSCR was looking for a color guy, not a play by play guy?

MUsoxfan
10-15-2005, 01:05 PM
The White Sox win...THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHITE SOX WIN (eek)

Somehow it seems more enjoyable when said like that as opposed to 'Yankees':wink:

halfpricemonday
10-15-2005, 01:22 PM

I just threw up in my mouth.

Whew, now that I've recovered, I'd put in another vote for Steiner. He's definitely the best name I've heard as a replacement for Rooney. I still see the Score going with a former player though.

Fenway
10-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Steiner, I like. He's a Bradley graduate, so he knows where Illinois is on a map. And the old Sportscenter commercials showed that he doesn't take himself too terribly seriously. But I agree, why didn't Vin pitch his fit last year?

And I thought WSCR was looking for a color guy, not a play by play guy?

I think they have doubts about Farmer being a #1 announcer

With each post season win the White Sox 2006 job becomes more attractive.

DSpivack
10-15-2005, 01:26 PM

With each post season win the White Sox 2006 job becomes more attractive.

I'm still all for Rooney and Farmer.

Agree that Sterling would be OK, Steiner would be better. Rooney would be best.

Pat Foley?

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2005, 05:16 PM

What White Sox fan doesn't?? Mitch Rosen better hire a big name like
Steiner.He looks awfully cheap letting Rooney go after 18 years of service.
Of course,the SNORE's rule is "If it ain't broken,fix it anyway".:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Please dear God,not John Sterling!!:cower:

"White Sox win,White Sox win,theeeeeeeeeee White Sox win"
becomes old very fast.At least in my eyes it does.

chitownhawkfan
10-15-2005, 06:41 PM
I really like Theeeeeeeeeeeee Yaaaaaaaaaaaankeeeeees Win! But I could definitely see him getting annoying during the season.

slavko
10-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Pat Foley?

Thinking along with me there. (or vice versa) Also, I agree that these out-of-town big names are not going to work for money that Rooney turned down. Got to say it again: Rooney's calls in the playoffs have had all the zing of white paint on a white wall.

Dick Allen
10-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I really liked Sterling when he was part of the Braves broadcast team on TBS. Haven't heard him since, though.

Dancin' Homer
10-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Steiner was on the radio months ago (Boers & Bernstein, I think) saying how much he loved calling NL games and how he despises the AL game.

Huisj
10-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Fans of other teams already hate Harrelson on TV because of his catch phrases and his pro-sox announcing. If the sox hired sterling, everyone would hate the radio guys too. I can't stand hearing him on clips when the yankees win. What a stupid trademark call. ugh

Also, can anyone even picture any sort of chemistry between sterling and farmer? I could maybe see Steiner and Farmer getting along ok maybe though.

skobabe8
10-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Whats Jim Durham up to?:D:

Wsoxmike59
10-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Charlie Steiner gets my vote, he's awesome. Also remember way back when John Rooney came to the Sox, he was teamed with Wayne Hagin in the radio booth?

They were awesome together, but there was some criticism that the two sounded so much alike it was hard to tell which was which.

Please for the love of God.....NO JOHN STERLING! I'd rather see Dick Biondi or Mike North in the Wsox booth!

P.S. I apologize in advance to any Dick Biondi fans out there. :D:

harwar
10-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Sterling would be horrible.Steiner is good but not to my liking.
I realize that they are in the tv booth but if we could get one of these guys that would be fine by me.
Michael Kay,Jim Kaat,or Ken Singleton.

Paulwny
10-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Sterling would be horrible.Steiner is good but not to my liking.
I realize that they are in the tv booth but if we could get one of these guys that would be fine by me.
Michael Kay,Jim Kaat,or Ken Singleton.

Kay will never leave his beloved yanks, plus he has his own tv program on the YES Net. Kaat and Singleton don't do play by play they only add commemtary.

Fenway
10-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Kay will never leave his beloved yanks, plus he has his own tv program on the YES Net. Kaat and Singleton don't do play by play they only add commemtary.

BTW Paul WGR will be switching to the Red Sox next year as Entercom has decided to use the rights they already own on WEEI

Stroker Ace
10-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Kay will never leave his beloved yanks, plus he has his own tv program on the YES Net. Kaat and Singleton don't do play by play they only add commemtary.Kay also has a radio show. I'm glad Kay wouldn't leave the Yanks because he sucks.

jabrch
10-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Is there ANY chance that Wills would end up here? I like the big names that we are talking about (Steiner and Sterling) but frankly, I like having a Sox fan in the booth. I like Hawk, despite his flaws. I love Rooney and Farmer. And Wills was awesome doing pre/post in the past. I know he has a contract...but is there any chance?

Paulwny
10-16-2005, 06:30 PM
BTW Paul WGR will be switching to the Red Sox next year as Entercom has decided to use the rights they already own on WEEI

Interesting, I wonder if there will be an outcry from the yank fans here. Originally Adelphia wasn't going to pick up the YES Net, they caved in after receiving threats from yank fans about cancelling Adelphia if the station wasn't broadcast. The big difference, you can't cancel radio.

Brian26
10-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Is there ANY chance that Wills would end up here? I like the big names that we are talking about (Steiner and Sterling) but frankly, I like having a Sox fan in the booth. I like Hawk, despite his flaws. I love Rooney and Farmer. And Wills was awesome doing pre/post in the past. I know he has a contract...but is there any chance?

No, he's locked into the D-Rays contract for one more year.

Fenway
10-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Interesting, I wonder if there will be an outcry from the yank fans here. Originally Adelphia wasn't going to pick up the YES Net, they caved in after receiving threats from yank fans about cancelling Adelphia if the station wasn't broadcast. The big difference, you can't cancel radio.

If I was Entercom I would put the Red Sox on WWKB which would cover a lot of holes in Northern New England

Now if we could just send Fred Smerlas back to WGR...hearing him do RED SOX talk is painful

Paulwny
10-16-2005, 06:43 PM
If I was Entercom I would put the Red Sox on WWKB which would cover a lot of holes in Northern New England

Now if we could just send Fred Smerlas back to WGR...hearing him do RED SOX talk is painful

Smerlas co-hosts a sports/bills show on WHAM out of Rochester. I listened once, painful is too kind of a describtion.

SOXSINCE'70
10-16-2005, 07:09 PM

200+ pounds. :D: :D: :D:

Brian26
10-16-2005, 09:42 PM

He was doing the radio pbp for the NLDS Astros/Braves series.

slavko
10-16-2005, 09:44 PM

This is a real test of memory, but when he left the Bulls after '91, I think he turned down MORE THAN $800,000!! For an 82 game season plus playoffs. This was a joke, right?

Tragg
10-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Sterling would be like having 2 Hawk Harrelsons. It would be like when the cubs had milo hamilton and harry. Overkill.

It's sad this conversation is even occuring.

skobabe8
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
This is a real test of memory, but when he left the Bulls after '91, I think he turned down MORE THAN $800,000!! For an 82 game season plus playoffs. This was a joke, right?

Was it a joke?? Umm no. :?:

I heard JD doing the ALDS and really liked him. I remembered his Bulls days when I was younger, but never heard him do baseball before. Obviously if his pricetag is around a mil, then nevermind.

spongyfungy
10-17-2005, 02:30 PM

He's doing ESPN NBA games with Snapper. I remember him doing games with Hawk in 90 I think. IMO I think he's a better basketball pbp than a baseball one, listening to the NLDS games he did. Maybe he's just rusty.

It all depends on if the sox are going for a pbp or color guy. If it's color, why not Al Leiter.

illinibk
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
if the Score wouldnt pony up for Rooney, I cant imaine they would pony up the cash for either one of those two guys. Too bad they can't just keep Rooney.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2005, 09:11 PM
The problem is that both Steiner and Sterling are play by play guys. I've been told that the Sox and WSCR have assured Farmer he is the play by play guy next season. That means the only thing they are looking for is an analyst.

I've been told by some folks in the media and one of the candidates themselves the final choices appear to be Steve Lyons, Ron Kittle and possibly John Cangelosi.

The good news is that if my sources are accurate, Mike North is off the radar. (Although I don't think he was ever on it in the first place...)

Lip

StillMissOzzie
10-18-2005, 01:59 AM
Somehow it seems more enjoyable when said like that as opposed to 'Yankees':wink:

I have always hated this guy's schtick w/r/t "Theeeeeeeeee YANKEES win!" It is always enjoyable to hear "The White Sox win!", but please, not from this guy.

SMO
:gulp:

longshot7
10-18-2005, 05:46 PM
The problem is that both Steiner and Sterling are play by play guys. I've been told that the Sox and WSCR have assured Farmer he is the play by play guy next season. That means the only thing they are looking for is an analyst.

I've been told by some folks in the media and one of the candidates themselves the final choices appear to be Steve Lyons, Ron Kittle and possibly John Cangelosi.

The good news is that if my sources are accurate, Mike North is off the radar. (Although I don't think he was ever on it in the first place...)

Lip

Interesting, although I'm not 100% sure Rooney is completely out of it. With the postseason and his calls plastered all over radio (and JR's influence), I could see an 11th hour deal being made to keep him where he is. We'll see.....

ChiSox14305635
10-19-2005, 12:01 AM

From some of the Yankees games I saw, when Michael Kay wasn't doing pbp, it was Kaat doing pbp with Singleton. Or maybe that was Bobby Murcer. But I'm pretty sure it was Kaat.

DSpivack
10-19-2005, 01:00 AM

Lip

Don't like Lyons, but after the clincher Cangelosi seemed decent on WSCR; but Kittle would be the best of those three.