PDA

View Full Version : Defending the honor of Baseball Prospectus: MRKARNO

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 01:12 AM
This may be somewhere else, but good pitching beats good heating. There is a reason old sayings become clich'es.

Apparently, good pitching beats bad hitting too, because the Angels aren't exactly offensive monsters.

FarWestChicago
10-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Apparently, good pitching beats bad hitting too, because the Angels aren't exactly offensive monsters.And MRKARNO steps in to diminish the Sox effort so far. I suppose you also feel it's tainted? :rolleyes:

But hey, those Cards can really mash...when they are facing crappy pitching. What will you bitch about if the Sox kick everybody's ass? "The Sox could have never taken the Big Red Machine!!" :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2005, 01:21 AM
But hey, those Cards can really mash...when they are facing crappy pitching. What will you bitch about if the Sox kick everybody's ass? "The Sox could have never taken the Big Red Machine!!" :?:

Nah, that won't be MrKarno's spin on things, but it will be the spin from Baseball Prospectus. They even played a full season of Stratomatic on the kitchen table to prove their theory right.*

* and they hardly ever fixed the dice, not even one time. Hardly.

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 01:33 AM
And MRKARNO steps in to diminish the Sox effort so far. I suppose you also feel it's tainted? :rolleyes:

You must have missed my earlier statement, a few posts up:

"Then again, the Angels aren't exactly an imposing offense, but that matters little, as they did beat the 200 million dollar Skanks and are standing in between us and the first pennant in Chicago in 46 years."

26.3 IP in three games is an incredible feat, even if it came against the 2003 Detroit Tigers. The national stage and the pressure of all of the games that have been pitched so far (Game 1, down 0-1 and to take control of the series) all add to the accomplishment. There is no doubting that what the White Sox pitching staff has done is absolutely amazing. I guess it was unfair to call the Angels a poor hitting team, but they are simply an average-hitting team. But we beat the best hitting team too, so obvious the White Sox can get it done against smallball and against wall (Green Monster) ball.

But I think the way we handled Lackey in the first inning was very impressive as well, considering he had pretty much handled us in 2 of his previous three starts and he had been doing awesome lately.

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Nah, that won't be MrKarno's spin on things, but it will be the spin from Baseball Prospectus. They even played a full season of Stratomatic on the kitchen table to prove their theory right.*

As far as I'm concerned, the NL is a helluva lot weaker than the AL and I'm not even sure the Cards could have made the playoffs in the AL.

But sure, let's twist my statements some more.

FarWestChicago
10-15-2005, 01:38 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the NL is a helluva lot weaker than the AL and I'm not even sure the Cards could have made the playoffs in the AL.

But sure, let's twist my statements some more. This is NOT a good year to be a card carrying FOBB.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/coaches/30011.jpg

**** Billy Beane!! What an *******!!

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 01:40 AM
This is NOT a good year to be a card carrying FOBB.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/coaches/30011.jpg

**** Billy Beane!! What an *******!!

So when PHG bashes the NL, does that make him a FOBB too?

Oh look! So and so said the NL sucks. FOBB ALERT! FOBB ALERT!

FarWestChicago
10-15-2005, 01:42 AM

No, but you are a card carrying, condescending FOBB and always have been. Too bad for you. :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2005, 01:46 AM

You are one very confused teenager. I was poking fun of Baseball Prospectus, not you. I was poking fun of Baseball Prospectus's methods for "proving" a team from the current era, the '05 Sox, inferior to a team from another era, the '75 Reds.

Now, if YOU want to defend Baseball Prospectus, go right ahead and stick your head into the lion's mouth. However be prepared for the consequences because we're going to be laughing long and hard at you.

:cool:

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 01:47 AM
No, but you are a card carrying, condescending FOBB and always have been. Too bad for you. :redneck

I challenge you to find a single post in which I praise Billy Beane. I've got a lot of them to my name, so if I'm such a FOBB, this should be an easy task, right?

I say we just drop this right now. We're fricking 2 games away from the World Series! :D:

MRKARNO
10-15-2005, 01:51 AM
You are one very confused teenager. I was poking fun of Baseball Prospectus, not you. I was poking fun of Baseball Prospectus's methods for "proving" a team from the current era, the '05 Sox, inferior to a team from another era, the '75 Reds.

Now, if YOU want to defend Baseball Prospectus, go right ahead and stick your head into the lion's mouth. However be prepared for the consequences because we're going to be laughing long and hard at you.

:cool:

My bad. Me need ta leern how 2 reed. Or to get some sleep. Maybe some of both.

FarWestChicago
10-15-2005, 01:59 AM
I say we just drop this right now. We're fricking 2 games away from the World Series! :D:You're the one who stepped in with your BP/FOBB bull**** to try to make those two game meaningless because we beat **** on the way. Think before you post.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-15-2005, 02:06 AM

Actually they played it 457,923 times via a computer simulation to get the correct result on the 457,923rd try.

Today's BP nonsense include Joe Sheehan still bitching about "the play" and saying AL Managers are "a brutal pool" to select from for Manager of the Year (I guess explaining his reason for Ozzie - Nobody on the White Sox is good - the fact is everyone else just sucks) whereas the NL has the best managers in baseball.

I topped over 90% of propeller heads in their prediction contest and 12 of 14 on their staff (the two who beat me did so by a slim margin but I am still embarrassed).

BP is "brutal".

HotelWhiteSox
10-15-2005, 02:15 AM
*asks for popcorn refill*

PaleHoseGeorge
10-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Actually they played it 457,923 times via a computer simulation to get the correct result on the 457,923rd try.

The BP propellerheads prefer the Stratomatic board game version because then they can keep rolling the dice until they get the result they expected to get, thus proving how smart they are. Of course the repeated dice rolling can cause trouble on the kitchen table, like when their mother comes and serves them a bowl of macaroni and cheese and the dice falls in the bowl and then cheese gets all over the table. Then their mom makes them leave the table to get a moist paper towel and clean up the mess but while their away the dog knocks over the game trying to chew on the cardboard box left sitting next to their set of 1972 all-star cards.

Whether they use the board game or computer simulation, one thing is certain: the BP propellerheads are never encumbered with female companionship.

:wink:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Whether they use the board game or computer simulation, one thing is certain: the BP propellerheads are never encumbered with female companionship.

Actually they have a female among their own though this is a recent change of events (and I am not making this up).

Chris Kahrl became Christina Kahrl over the summer via surgical procedure. Now BP staff everywhere can state as fact they have talked to a female (non family member) at least once in their lifetime.

Back to rolling the dice - I am trying to prove the Chicago White Sox did indeed win the AL Central but BP wants me to prove this after 2 billion trials so I may miss the World Series but I'll check in afterward to see who won the actual World Series (which of course will not be as accurate as the BP projected World Series winner).

hose
10-15-2005, 08:28 AM
The BP propellerheads prefer the Stratomatic board game version because then they can keep rolling the dice until they get the result they expected to get, thus proving how smart they are. Of course the repeated dice rolling can cause trouble on the kitchen table, like when their mother comes and serves them a bowl of macaroni and cheese and the dice falls in the bowl and then cheese gets all over the table. Then their mom makes them leave the table to get a moist paper towel and clean up the mess but while their away the dog knocks over the game trying to chew on the cardboard box left sitting next to their set of 1972 all-star cards.

"that's gold George, gold.":roflmao: :thumbsup: