PDA

View Full Version : Sox courting Brian Giles

Vsahajpal
12-12-2001, 12:49 AM
That would be a hell of an acquisition, but the Bucs want Buehrle and Caballo...

I'd send them Ginter, Lee, and Guerrier for Giles and Ritchie, but that's just me:

BOSTON - On the day the White Sox rewarded closer Keith Foulke for his reliability, they moved toward rolling the dice like they haven't in years. They were pursuing center fielders Brian Giles of Pittsburgh and Darin Erstad of Anaheim in deals that would be equally bold for totally different reasons.

Giles is attractive both for this ultra-productive bat and an affordable contract that runs through 2005. But the talent it would take to acquire him, and possibly also 11-game winner Todd Ritchie, would drain the Sox system of players they have spent years building up.

Erstad, who collected 240 hits and won a Gold Glove in 2000, fascinates the Sox despite the flashing yellow lights driving down his value with other teams. Not only is he coming off his worst season, a year in which his batting average dropped from .355 to .258, but he is a free agent after the season and figures to be difficult to sign.

Erstad may not fit into the Sox's long-term plans with switch-hitting power hitter Joe Borchard expected to be in the 2003 lineup. But with Giles due only $7 million a season, he could play with Magglio Ordonez and Borchard for years.

According to major-league sources, Oakland had been showing the most interest in Giles before the Sox stepped to the forefront Tuesday. The Pirates, who have been talking about Jermaine Dye and left-handed prospect Mario Ramos, were believed to be seeking Carlos Lee and Mark Buehrle, among others.

While the Sox are unlikely to deal Buehrle, who won 16 games in his first full season, they would consider dealing multiple arms from a group including Jon Garland or Kip Wells, Gary Glover and top prospects Jon Rauch, Corwin Malone and Matt Guerrier.

The Erstad talks also centered around young pitchers, with Wells and Garland among those under discussion. Sources with other clubs also reported whispers of a three-team deal that had the Sox sending Lee to the New York Yankees for right-hander Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez and then moving Hernandez to Anaheim for Erstad. The Yankees also reportedly are interested in Ray Durham, which would allow them to move Alfonso Soriano to left field.

"When you have a young starters, there are a couple of things you can do to help them progress," Williams said Tuesday. "You can help the defense, you can [score runs] and you can shorten the game for them by giving them relief support."

Foulke opted for security over maximum value, signing a two-year, $10-million deal when he could have asked for more than $6 million in salary arbitration.

"The key word is security," said Foulke, who converted 42 of 45 saves, the best ratio in the majors last season. "We don't have to go to arbitration. I don't have to worry about things."

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 12:58 AM
If Kenny is going to start trading like mad, I hope he doesn't blow it.

:KW

I really like the arm on this Bob Childs guy!

jklm
12-12-2001, 12:58 AM
Getting Giles will be EXCELLENT. He is consistent and cheap (7M! ~1.5 Royce Clayton money!) Believe it or not, he outhit Maggs the last 3 seasons. And he plays a good CF too.

Erstad... I am not too sure about him. It seems 1. he always gets hurt 2. hence, he is inconsistent... last year (and in 1999), he was brutal.

P.S. Kudos to Foulke for giving the Sox a bargain... hopefully he will stay in the South Side for more than 2 years.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:07 AM
:KW

I really like the arm on this Bob Childs guy!

*****!!!!!!!!

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:16 AM
If they can get Giles without giving up Mark, this could be a great pick up for the sox. I would be will ing to give up Kip since everyone wants him. Corwin malone and lee with him. It sounds like a lot, but these are just the big names that can go without killing the sox eventhough I'd like to see how good Malone will be.

With Giles, It would be a nice of with Rowand, Giles, and Borchard with Maggs at DH. or just move Rowand because I think Thomas will be here till his contract is up no matter how bad he is. It will be a Harold Baines story all over again

:reinsy
Now get your ass out to the park.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If they can get Giles without giving up Mark, this could be a great pick up for the sox. I would be will ing to give up Kip since everyone wants him. Corwin malone and lee with him. It sounds like a lot, but these are just the big names that can go without killing the sox eventhough I'd like to see how good Malone will be.

With Giles, It would be a nice of with Rowand, Giles, and Borchard with Maggs at DH. or just move Rowand because I think Thomas will be here till his contract is up no matter how bad he is. It will be a Harold Baines story all over again

Now get your ass out to the park.

If Borchard plays right maggs better be in left.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

If Borchard plays right maggs better be in left. You got that right. What is it with people and Rowand? OK, he tries hard and runs into walls. How does that make him better than guys who have actually proven themselves at the MLB level?

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You got that right. What is it with people and Rowand? OK, he tries hard and runs into walls. How does that make him better than guys who have actually proven themselves at the MLB level?

I dont know what the obsession is with Rowand. I, for obvious reasons, am not a big fan of his. 2 or 3 more wall shots and he will be sitting in the broadcast booth with Troy Aikman.

"Its all me baby."

:slowswing

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:27 AM
You got that right. What is it with people and Rowand? OK, he tries hard and runs into walls. How does that make him better than guys who have actually proven themselves at the MLB level?

O boy. This can start the Rowand brawl all over again. :D:

If they get Giles, I would honestly rather dump Rowand. Maggs won't be a DH for a while. Maggs Giles, Borchard.......Damn that sounds good.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:29 AM

O boy. This can Rowand brawl can start all over here. :D:

If they get Giles, I would honestly rather dump Rowand. Maggs won't be a DH for a while. Maggs Giles, Borchard.......Damn that sounds good.

See much better, Ofcourse singleton stays on as a fourth outfielder.

"I can play all 3 outfield positions.I rule!"

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 01:30 AM

:slowswing :slowswing

I am a starter. I will not be a backup!

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:32 AM

Singleton would never stay as a 4th OF. When Rowand and Rameriez were playing over him, he was bitching up a storm in the paper. I would love to have a guy like Chris on the bench, but I don't think it will happen. He clearly stated he wanted to start or he can look at other options. Then again, that's newspaper info. That could have been exadurated.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:33 AM

I am a starter. I will not be a backup!

Good point, i guess that means Maggs rots on the bench until Frank retires.

"Drink Pepsi and i will see you sitting on the bench from the left field position."

jklm
12-12-2001, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
According to major-league sources, Oakland had been showing the most interest in Giles before the Sox stepped to the forefront Tuesday. The Pirates, who have been talking about Jermaine Dye and left-handed prospect Mario Ramos, were believed to be seeking Carlos Lee and Mark Buehrle, among others.

The Erstad talks also centered around young pitchers, with Wells and Garland among those under discussion. Sources with other clubs also reported whispers of a three-team deal that had the Sox sending Lee to the New York Yankees for right-hander Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez and then moving Hernandez to Anaheim for Erstad. The Yankees also reportedly are interested in Ray Durham, which would allow them to move Alfonso Soriano to left field.

I won't be surprised if Durham is traded. Valentin is playing winter ball in Puerto Rico. He has been playing OF, SS and 2B. No 3B. By the way, he has 3 errors in 12 games so far.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:36 AM

Singleton would never stay as a 4th OF. When Rowand and Rameriez were playing over him, he was bitching up a storm in the paper. I would love to have a guy like Chris on the bench, but I don't think it will happen. He clearly stated he wanted to start or he can look at other options. Then again, that's newspaper info. That could have been exadurated.

What??? Singleton never once made one comment about playing time (find me quotes), while others like Canseco and Clayton cried about it. He did say something late in the year but in no way was he bitching, he was rather well-sponken (is that a phrase?) about it.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by jklm

I won't be surprised if Durham is traded. Valentin is playing winter ball in Puerto Rico. He has been playing OF, SS and 2B. No 3B. By the way, he has 3 erros in 12 games so far.

3 out of 12? That's an improvement for the hack.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 01:38 AM

What??? Singleton never once made one comment about playing time (find me quotes), while others like Canseco and Clayton cried about it. He did say something late in the year but in no way was he bitching, he was rather well-sponken (is that a phrase?) about it. I would, but my ISP suddenly seems to have blocked me from the rest of the internet. I can only access this site. :D:

jklm
12-12-2001, 01:38 AM

What??? Singleton never once made one comment about playing time (find me quotes), while others like Canseco and Clayton cried about it. He did say something late in the year but in no way was he bitching, he was rather well-sponken (is that a phrase?) about it.

RPS is right. I remember him complained about playing time. After that, JM "rewarded" CS a number of starts...

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 01:39 AM

3 out of 12? That's an improvement for the hack. :ray :hitless

Man, when will Manos learn how to "get along" with the official scorer?

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:40 AM

I saw it a few times in the Chicago Sun-times. Ok , he wasn't "bitching" up a storm about it. It was clear he was unhappy though and did give hints other teams because he doesn't think he fits the long term picture. I'll do what I can to find some quotes on that. I'm not sure how for the archives go back in that paper, but I do remember reading it.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by jklm

RPS is right. I remember him complained about playing time. After that, JM "rewarded" CS a number of starts...

Thank you Jklm.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 01:57 AM

I saw it a few times in the Chicago Sun-times. Ok , he wasn't "bitching" up a storm about it. It was clear he was unhappy though and did give hints other teams because he doesn't think he fits the long term picture. I'll do what I can to find some quotes on that. I'm not sure how for the archives go back in that paper, but I do remember reading it.

I this the article you are talking about? He was hardly bitching.

CLEVELAND - Chris Singleton is beginning to feel off center with the White Sox.

For the third straight game on Monday, Singleton was on the bench while rookie Aaron Rowand got the starting nod in center field.

"I guess it's obvious for everyone that looks at it,'' Singleton said of his status with the Sox. "Right now, this is where I am and where I want to be. But it's like there's an unseen hand trying to move me out of here.''

Singleton started worrying about his job security last winter, when shortstop Royce Clayton was acquired in a trade from the Rangers. That was supposed to move Jose Valentin from short to center field.

But Valentin has bounced around between shortstop, third base and center while battling a hamstring injury.

Singleton has started 62 of the White Sox' first 97 games in center field and he's batting a sturdy .282. But the third-year veteran has only 3 homers and 20 RBI in 248 at-bats.

That's why the Sox are taking a look at Rowand. And that's why top prospect Joe Borchard, who is flashing a lot of power at Class AA Birmingham, should get a chance to win the starting job in center at some early point in 2002.

With the July 31 trade deadline looming, Singleton is very aware of his shaky status with the White Sox.

"There will probably be some changes, or additions, in the next year or two,'' Singleton said. "But I feel like the organization wants me here and I definitely want to be a part of it. I can adjust to different roles at different times and that's a valuable asset.''

If general manager Kenny Williams moves him during the next week or at the end of the season, Singleton said he'll adapt.

"I like this team and the coaches,'' Singleton said. "But I can adjust to change. I don't fear change in my future.''

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 02:05 AM

I this the article you are talking about? He was hardly bitching.

CLEVELAND - Chris Singleton is beginning to feel off center with the White Sox.

For the third straight game on Monday, Singleton was on the bench while rookie Aaron Rowand got the starting nod in center field.

"I guess it's obvious for everyone that looks at it,'' Singleton said of his status with the Sox. "Right now, this is where I am and where I want to be. But it's like there's an unseen hand trying to move me out of here.''

Singleton started worrying about his job security last winter, when shortstop Royce Clayton was acquired in a trade from the Rangers. That was supposed to move Jose Valentin from short to center field.

But Valentin has bounced around between shortstop, third base and center while battling a hamstring injury.

Singleton has started 62 of the White Sox' first 97 games in center field and he's batting a sturdy .282. But the third-year veteran has only 3 homers and 20 RBI in 248 at-bats.

That's why the Sox are taking a look at Rowand. And that's why top prospect Joe Borchard, who is flashing a lot of power at Class AA Birmingham, should get a chance to win the starting job in center at some early point in 2002.

With the July 31 trade deadline looming, Singleton is very aware of his shaky status with the White Sox.

"There will probably be some changes, or additions, in the next year or two,'' Singleton said. "But I feel like the organization wants me here and I definitely want to be a part of it. I can adjust to different roles at different times and that's a valuable asset.''

If general manager Kenny Williams moves him during the next week or at the end of the season, Singleton said he'll adapt.

"I like this team and the coaches,'' Singleton said. "But I can adjust to change. I don't fear change in my future.''

There were a few more then just that one. I do remember reading that article. My bad on the bitching part. He is well spoken about it, but after hearing it a few times it really seems like he's unhappy and will not settle for being a bench player.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved this winter.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 02:18 AM

There were a few more then just that one. I do remember reading that article. My bad on the bitching part. He is well spoken about it, but after hearing it a few times it really seems like he's unhappy and will not settle for being a bench player.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved this winter.

No that was it, all the others ones you are making up. Just agree with me it cost me $2.50 to pull that thing out of the Archives.

Mathew
12-12-2001, 02:28 AM
Every time I see him K and look like a little leaguer at the plate I try to hate him, but the players love him and is it he that leads the team prayers too. He really doesn't whine even though he could stake a claim(like the real whiners)to be deserving starts with his defence and decent batting average. However, the $2.50 article does illustrate that he, like any genuine athelete, wants a chance to play somewhere. I can't dislike him but we generally don't blame superstars when we struggle, hence Royce being hated for his batting when he wasn't expected to perform. Royce I can hate because he is an ASS, Chris is not.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 02:32 AM

No that was it, all the others ones you are making up. Just agree with me it cost me $2.50 to pull that thing out of the Archives.

Yeah. ok. I'm making it all up. You got me.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
Every time I see him K and look like a little leaguer at the plate I try to hate him, but the players love him and is it he that leads the team prayers too. He really doesn't whine even though he could stake a claim(like the real whiners)to be deserving starts with his defence and decent batting average. However, the $2.50 article does illustrate that he, like any genuine athelete, wants a chance to play somewhere. I can't dislike him but we generally don't blame superstars when we struggle, hence Royce being hated for his batting when he wasn't expected to perform. Royce I can hate because he is an ASS, Chris is not.

Chir is not an ass. I like him a lot personally. Clro1 just won't face he facts that he won't be here as a bench guy. He wants to start, he said that, and he deseves to start unless we have Giles.

Mathew
12-12-2001, 02:45 AM
If any of these rumours come to fruition, I would have a massive coronary at a very young age! If ever was Brian S. Giles the White Sox CF... I might have to refer back to the Famous PHG Monkeys and ask how his toosh feels? I could see them signing Giles and Erstad whed they both hit their fortys though.

EEErrrry look at 2016
Buy tickets for 42yr old Brian Giles and Recieve a Harold Baines bobble head!

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 03:11 AM
EEErrrry look at 2016
Buy tickets for 42yr old Brian Giles and Recieve a Harold Baines bobble head! [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Tragg
12-12-2001, 08:15 AM
I suggest that before Kenny Williams makes any trades, that he scan the names of the entire roster, including farm teams, of the trading partner, just to make sure there aren't two players with the same name.

I can see it now - Carlos Lee and Jon Garland for Brian Giles, 44 year old pinch hitter for the Warthogs. "I'll live with the deal" says Kenny Williams.

Fisk72
12-12-2001, 08:53 AM
I just read about the Yankmees possibly interested in Durham. I wouldn't opposed to that move considering he has been really disappointing with both his bat (you can't always hit homeruns, dude, so stop swinging for the fences) and his glove. However, I would only do this if we had some decent prospects in AA or AAA. I thought I heard something about a guy in our organization that's suposed to be his replacement eventually. You guys hear anything about this? I would rather leave Jose at short; however, if Clayton can can pull half of what Thomas did in 2000, then I wouldn't be opposed to Jose at 2nd.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I just read about the Yankmees possibly interested in Durham. I wouldn't opposed to that move considering he has been really disappointing with both his bat (you can't always hit homeruns, dude, so stop swinging for the fences) and his glove. However, I would only do this if we had some decent prospects in AA or AAA. I thought I heard something about a guy in our organization that's suposed to be his replacement eventually. You guys hear anything about this? I would rather leave Jose at short; however, if Clayton can can pull half of what Thomas did in 2000, then I wouldn't be opposed to Jose at 2nd.

Yup. That would be Tim Hummel. I think he was a SS prospect , but then I heard he had trouble with throwing errors. He's got a real good bat though. Some other guys around here might know more about him then me. I just read a few stories and saw some stats a while back on him.