PDA

View Full Version : A Sox Rumor with Atlanta


duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 10:44 PM
We would get Kevin Millwood, they want Jeff Liefer. Heard this 2 hours ago.

doublem23
12-11-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
We would get Kevin Millwood, they want Jeff Liefer. Heard this 2 hours ago.

Are the Braves that stupid?

czalgosz
12-11-2001, 10:49 PM
Guys, in the wake of the Shouldergate fiasco and the wild thinking that went on there, can we put a moratorium on rumors heard on the radio? I really want to see a link...

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Are the Braves that stupid?

No they just want to dump some salary. I recall sitting here last year listening to this same rumor, except they wanted Konerko. Whatever, just do something to clear the mess in the outfield.

Jjav829
12-11-2001, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
We would get Kevin Millwood, they want Jeff Liefer. Heard this 2 hours ago.


Where did you hear this?

MaggPipes
12-11-2001, 10:52 PM
that would be a smart trade....but doesn't Millwood have arm troubles??

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 10:52 PM
Julio Franco is their only first baseman right now too

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Guys, in the wake of the Shouldergate fiasco and the wild thinking that went on there, can we put a moratorium on rumors heard on the radio? I really want to see a link...

If it's a trade rumor and involves the Sox it's most likely not going to happen. No offense to you Czal but lord know's if it's on the internet it has to be true :D:. I know you meant a site like espn or a newspaper but I just wanted to say that.

MaggPipes
12-11-2001, 10:52 PM
what is your source?

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 10:54 PM
Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
that would be a smart trade....but doesn't Millwood have arm troubles??

I believe he did last year.

Jjav829
12-11-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio

Hmm the second Levine rumor. Think maybe hes reaching just to get a story?

MaggPipes
12-11-2001, 10:57 PM
hmmm. interesting...i wonder if it will happen......though i can't believe i am saying this....i can't wait til (gulp) Boston comes on during sports center with an update....also....how about my huskers....heck yeah....

czalgosz
12-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


If it's a trade rumor and involves the Sox it's most likely not going to happen. No offense to you Czal but lord know's if it's on the internet it has to be true :D:. I know you meant a site like espn or a newspaper but I just wanted to say that.

There it is in a nutshell... Have you guys noticed that rumoured trades almost never happen, and the actual trades are ones that noone thought of? I mean, I can't remember ever seeing a trade on ESPN's Rumor Central, for instance, going though.

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio

I trust him more then Boston. If they want Liefer they can have him.

Jjav829
12-11-2001, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


There it is in a nutshell... Have you guys noticed that rumoured trades almost never happen, and the actual trades are ones that noone thought of? I mean, I can't remember ever seeing a trade on ESPN's Rumor Central, for instance, going though.

ESPN's Rumor Central is the King of Crap. All they do is take a players name, and decide where they think he would fit. They rarely bother finding out if the team is interested in that particular player.

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
There it is in a nutshell... Have you guys noticed that rumoured trades almost never happen, and the actual trades are ones that noone thought of? I mean, I can't remember ever seeing a trade on ESPN's Rumor Central, for instance, going though.

Like that three way deal between Oakland, Toronto, and LA. When your source is Peter Gammons your not going to be right very often.

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
hmmm. interesting...i wonder if it will happen......though i can't believe i am saying this....i can't wait til (gulp) Boston comes on during sports center with an update....also....how about my huskers....heck yeah....

You'll be waiting awhile if you expect Gammons to mention us. He'll be telling us how many houses Jason Giambi is going to buy when he signs with the Yankees. Then he'll tell us that nobody wants Barry Bonds. Boo ****in hoo Gammons.

Tragg
12-11-2001, 11:05 PM
we do lack left handed hitters

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 11:15 PM
:ray

:manos

Our left handed power

CLR01
12-11-2001, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


No they just want to dump some salary. I recall sitting here last year listening to this same rumor, except they wanted Konerko. Whatever, just do something to clear the mess in the outfield.



"Damn right JM. Get rid of that POS CF wanna be Rolaids. He cant even catch a ball without running into a wall. Me OTOH, i get to the ball and get under it. I rule."

:slowswing

kermittheefrog
12-12-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


If it's a trade rumor and involves the Sox it's most likely not going to happen. No offense to you Czal but lord know's if it's on the internet it has to be true :D:. I know you meant a site like espn or a newspaper but I just wanted to say that.


How often are trade rumors anywhere true?

Mathew
12-12-2001, 02:19 AM
I'd love it if we traded our Russ Branyon for Kevin AssWood arm or no arm.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 03:00 AM
Just Liefer? That's too good to be true. I'd do it in a heart beat.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
We would get Kevin Millwood, they want Jeff Liefer. Heard this 2 hours ago.

LOL!!!!!!! Please...........liefer isnt worth a bag of crap.....

Spiff
12-12-2001, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


LOL!!!!!!! Please...........liefer isnt worth a bag of crap.....

he was just relaying something he heard

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00


he was just relaying something he heard

I heard about martians, but i didnt post it in a public forum...

WinningUgly!
12-12-2001, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


I heard about martians, but i didnt post it in a public forum...

I think that's where most of these rumors are coming from.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


I think that's where most of these rumors are coming from.

LOL. I dont mind hearing or reading about rumors. But when they are totally far fetched, whats the point? :)

WinningUgly!
12-12-2001, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


LOL. I dont mind hearing or reading about rumors. But when they are totally far fetched, whats the point? :)

I'd love to have Giles or Erstad, if the price was right, but I just have a hard time believing any rumors that involve the White Sox at all. I consider them all about as reliable as the A-Rod ones were last year.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


I'd love to have Giles or Erstad, if the price was right, but I just have a hard time believing any rumors that involve the White Sox at all. I consider them all about as reliable as the A-Rod ones were last year.


Yeah, rumors dont excite me. Real trades do. By the way, im really glad we didnt get arod.

WinningUgly!
12-12-2001, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31



Yeah, rumors dont excite me. Real trades do. By the way, im really glad we didnt get arod.

<sarcasm mode on> Yeah, that guy flat out sucks.<sarcasm mode off>
Putting that much cash into one player is organizational suicide.

Paulwny
12-12-2001, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Putting that much cash into one player is organizational suicide.

I hope you're right, Giambi ~ $18 mil +.

Soxboyrob
12-12-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


LOL!!!!!!! Please...........liefer isnt worth a bag of crap.....

I wouldn't go that far....Liefer avg'd something like one homer per 14 AB's. That ain't shabby. I won't miss him, but a homer per 14 ab's takes a bit of talent. I sorta forgot about the guy, but I'll bet there are teams out there that would love to add a Liefer to their bench. He's lefty. He hits righties fairly well and with good power and can play(if you wanna call it that) several positions.

guillen4life13
12-12-2001, 07:25 PM
no offense, but that's one of the stupidest trades I've ever heard.

Millwood is still pretty young, and if his arm gets back in shape, he's a 20 game winner, as you may recall 1999, when he won 18 games and posted a 2.68 ERA.

That's the production of an ace, unless I'm a martian. If that's the case, these rumors are coming from my homeland.



face it. this would never happen. schuerholtz (spelling) is smarter than that. he's made this atlanta team, and that undoubtedly means that he's a smart guy.

I seem to recall that Jeff Liefer is also not exactly young. He's in his late 20's, which means that his prime should be happening NOW, or very soon. we haven't seen squat.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
no offense, but that's one of the stupidest trades I've ever heard.

Millwood is still pretty young, and if his arm gets back in shape, he's a 20 game winner, as you may recall 1999, when he won 18 games and posted a 2.68 ERA.

That's the production of an ace, unless I'm a martian. If that's the case, these rumors are coming from my homeland.



face it. this would never happen. schuerholtz (spelling) is smarter than that. he's made this atlanta team, and that undoubtedly means that he's a smart guy.

I seem to recall that Jeff Liefer is also not exactly young. He's in his late 20's, which means that his prime should be happening NOW, or very soon. we haven't seen squat.

liefer is awful and should not be on a major league team.....

bringbackrobin
12-12-2001, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


liefer is awful and should not be on a major league team.....

That's a little harsh, but there's no way Liefer should be a starter on a good major league team.

AsInWreck
12-12-2001, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13



He's in his late 20's, which means that his prime should be happening NOW, or very soon. we haven't seen squat.

Take a look at the career record of one Edgar Martinez/he did not do jack until the age of 30 but for the past ten years his been one of the top
hitters in the league. Not that I'm saying that Lief is EMartinez, but just because he is in late 20's doesn;t mean he can't succeed.

Daver
12-12-2001, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin


That's a little harsh, but there's no way Liefer should be a starter on a good major league team.

Bmr is always right,just ask him.

czalgosz
12-12-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck


Take a look at the career record of one Edgar Martinez/he did not do jack until the age of 30 but for the past ten years his been one of the top
hitters in the league. Not that I'm saying that Lief is EMartinez, but just because he is in late 20's doesn;t mean he can't succeed.

Well, of all the thousands of guys who have ever played the game, Edgar Martinez is about the only guy I can think of who became significantly better after age 30, so I think that Edgar is the exception rather than the rule.

I don't think that Jeff Liefer = Kevin Millwood, but neither is Liefer a terrible ballplayer. He's never gotten a chance to prove himself at the big-league level. so far he's had exactly 378 big-league ABs. Liefer deserves a shot to play the game.

AsInWreck
12-12-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Well, of all the thousands of guys who have ever played the game, Edgar Martinez is about the only guy I can think of who became significantly better after age 30, so I think that Edgar is the exception rather than the rule.




Good thing Liefer's got 3 more years before reaching the dreaded 3-0

Mathew
12-13-2001, 05:24 PM
Edgar played in the monors in Calgary and hit great when I'd go see him. The Mariners just had a commitment to suck for quite a while.