PDA

View Full Version : Happy Steve Bartman Day

34rancher
10-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Just a friendly reminder that today is the 2nd year anniversary..

ajtokarz
10-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Just a friendly reminder that today is the 2nd year anniversary..

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/13/images-tbt/199/bartman_10p_CMYK.jpg
This week on VH1's Where are they now.......Steve Bartman.

cleanwsox
10-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Have a great one Steve. Thanks for everything! :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
10-14-2005, 04:18 PM
That's odd. The Cubune has no articles about the Bartman incident on the second anniversary. I seem to recall, very recently, the Cubune "catching up" with Royals coach Tom Gambino on the anniversary of his being attacked at the Cell.

:giantsnail:

SOXintheBURGH
10-14-2005, 04:19 PM
That's odd. The Cubune has no articles about the Bartman incident on the second anniversary. I seem to recall, very recently, the Cubune "catching up" with Royals coach Tom Gambo on the anniversary of his being attacked at the Cell.

:giantsnail:

:cubune

Fenway
10-14-2005, 04:23 PM
The Trib figured out a way to get it in

Sox fans: Don't blow your Bartman moment

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/sox_fans_dont_b.html

Fenway
10-14-2005, 04:27 PM
I have proof now Bartman wasn't the problem

in the bottom of the 6th the scoreboard put up Ron Santo's name

http://www.abailey.org/album/photos/cubs/pic_1051.sized.jpg (http://www.abailey.org/album/cubs/pic_1051?full=1)

mrs. hendu
10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
This week on VH1's Where are they now.......Steve Bartman.

Seriously, I'd like to find out. I wonder if he's been to any Flub games ever since...

Erik The Red
10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
I have proof now Bartman wasn't the problem

in the bottom of the 6th the scoreboard put up Ron Santo's name

http://www.abailey.org/album/photos/cubs/pic_1051.sized.jpg (http://www.abailey.org/album/cubs/pic_1051?full=1)

"OH NOOOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

ajtokarz
10-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Seriously, I'd like to find out. I wonder if he's been to any Flub games ever since...

So would I....so here's what i have found out.

After entering the Tribune Protection Program...Mr. Bartman took on a new name, new identity but still stays active in baseball thankfully. His new picture....
http://www.plu.edu/~fergustr/img/rally-monkey.jpg

Seriously though...I don't know, i looked, all I know is that he's an attorney, and changed his name since it's not in the Illinois Bar Association list

I will do some research and see what I can find out.....

spiffie
10-14-2005, 05:31 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53805&highlight=drehs

Points to an ESPN story a few months ago where a reporter of theirs tracked down and talked (briefly) to Bartman.

chitownhawkfan
10-14-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53805&highlight=drehs

Points to an ESPN story a few months ago where a reporter of theirs tracked down and talked (briefly) to Bartman.

I would say more creepily stalked than tracked down. Leave the poor guy alone ESPN, he isn't the reason they lost.

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2005, 05:50 PM
The Trib figured out a way to get it in

Sox fans: Don't blow your Bartman moment

Eric Zorn?? Take it,Dave Wills:

:wills
"Drillrod!!":angry:

Johnny Mostil
10-14-2005, 05:56 PM
I would say more creepily stalked than tracked down. Leave the poor guy alone ESPN, he isn't the reason they lost.

I've always found it bizarre that Alex Gonzalez got off so easily for this. A $5M/year SS (Gonzalez's salary that year) booting a routine double play ground ball isn't news in Cubdumb. Nor is Kerry Wood losing a 5-3 lead halfway through the 7th game. But a hapless fan (whom, I surmise from what little I've read, may know more about baseball than most of his detractors or stalkers like Eric Zorn) reaching for a ball that everybody else reaches for--well, that's almost as special as blaming a billy goat that's been dead more than a half century.

shoota II
10-14-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't know how people can accurately say Steve Bartman didn't hurt his team's chances at going to the World Series. Alex Gonzalez certainly deserves more blame for Graffaninoing a should-be double-play, but Steve Bartman did prevent Moises Alou from catching what would have been the second out of the inning.

Steve Bartman cost his team an out when only 5 more outs were needed for the Cubs to make the World Series!

Granted, the Cubs still had a game 7 to play and Gonzalez's error and blah blah blah; you can't say Bartman's action didn't cost the Cubs an out.

When it happened, I was still very skeptical that the Cubs would fail to make the World Series, but I did think how poetic it would be for the stereotypical, know-nothing, Cubs "fan," to be what caused his "team" to fail to get to the World Series.

(Though it did become public later that Steve Bartman was an alleged knowledgeable baseball fan who coached a kids' team and was a die-hard fan who was using his headphones to hear the call of the game he was attending.)

Johnny Mostil
10-14-2005, 07:06 PM
I don't know how people can accurately say Steve Bartman didn't hurt his team's chances at going to the World Series. Alex Gonzalez certainly deserves more blame for Graffaninoing a should-be double-play, but Steve Bartman did prevent Moises Alou from catching what would have been the second out of the inning.

Steve Bartman cost his team an out when only 5 more outs were needed for the Cubs to make the World Series!

Granted, the Cubs still had a game 7 to play and Gonzalez's error and blah blah blah; you can't say Bartman's action didn't cost the Cubs an out.

When it happened, I was still very skeptical that the Cubs would fail to make the World Series, but I did think how poetic it would be for the stereotypical, know-nothing, Cubs "fan," to be what caused his "team" to fail to get to the World Series.

(Though it did become public later that Steve Bartman was an alleged knowledgeable baseball fan who coached a kids' team and was a die-hard fan who was using his headphones to hear the call of the game he was attending.)

Proportionality, WMD, proportionality. Even if one were to concede (as I would do only for the sake of friendly argument) that Bartman hurt "his" team's chances (and it was less "his" team than Prior's or Gonzalez's or Wood's), the focus on him is insane. An overused parallel from this week--"the call" didn't help the Angels, but neither did conceding second to Ozuna, Escobar hanging an 0-2 pitch to Crede with first base open, etc.

FielderJones
10-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Seriously though...I don't know, i looked, all I know is that he's an attorney, and changed his name since it's not in the Illinois Bar Association list.

Bartman is not an attorney. An attorney came up with the ball that he deflected. Bartman worked/works for a consulting company.

The ESPN stalking story was like watching a train wreck. It was weird and creepy but I couldn't turn away.

Again, it's time to move on. Scapegoating Bartman is stupid. Must be why the Flub fans continue to do it.

CaptainBallz
10-15-2005, 03:39 PM

You are on crack. Don't even give the Flubs the credit of scapegoating Bartman in the least. Remember earlier this year when Pods had to go into the stands at Yankee Stadium to grab a ball. There were about 10 people reaching for it, Pods got socked in the face, and y' know what?---HE CAUGHT THE FRICKIN' BALL!

I guess the wise thing would have been for Steve to assume Alou was gonna catch it and have the ball break his nose.

In other words--WHAT-THE-****-EVER!!!!

RKMeibalane
10-15-2005, 03:59 PM
I've always found it bizarre that Alex Gonzalez got off so easily for this. A $5M/year SS (Gonzalez's salary that year) booting a routine double play ground ball isn't news in Cubdumb. Nor is Kerry Wood losing a 5-3 lead halfway through the 7th game. But a hapless fan (whom, I surmise from what little I've read, may know more about baseball than most of his detractors or stalkers like Eric Zorn) reaching for a ball that everybody else reaches for--well, that's almost as special as blaming a billy goat that's been dead more than a half century.

That's Cubs fans for you. They will blame everyone but the players for what happens to their team. I'm waiting for them to blame the White Sox for something, but I don't know what that could be. They tried to blame us when the ivy was damaged in 2002, saying that a Sox fan urinated on the wall. I also seem to recall someone accusing Sox fans of stealing signs and then relaying them to Sox outfielders. I don't remember when that happend, but I could have sworm there was a group of fans whining about it. Go figure.

Domeshot17
10-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I have to third this notion. Difference between Sox Fans and Cubs Fans

If it was us in 2003 and not the Cubs, We would have had the head of Royce Clayton on a platter, and while Bartman would have taken some heat, We would have manned up to our team f'ing up, and not a man messing with "destiny"

Moreover, We would have been all over our pitchers for getting Rattled in the inning after ( our ace ) and then our second ace, " God # 2 ", for giving up 7 runs in game 7.

The last point I have to make, knowing Sox Fans, Bartman would not have reached for the ball, and 37,000 other cubs fans would have done the same thing, just trying to not spill their beer.

( sorry I couldnt teal, having some computer problems and all the colors come up the same, and cant get the titles to work, so anything in " " was meant for tealage)

jabrch
10-16-2005, 03:28 AM
I don't know how people can accurately say Steve Bartman didn't hurt his team's chances at going to the World Series.

HURT? Ok - nobody would likely disagree that he "hurt" his team's chances. But it isn't his fault...after he touched that ball, any one of the following could have happened...

Alou could have had the sack needed to catch the ball
Prior could have gotten a few more outs
Gonzalez could have made the play
Dusty could have come in and settled Prior down before he got pounded by Lee.
Farnsworth could have not sucked.
The Cubs next 6 hitters didn't get a hit
Carrie Wood could have not sucked in game 7.
The Cubs could have gotten more than 6 hits (3 of them stayed in the park) in game 7
Farnsworth stunk again in game 7
And that's not even counting the fact that they could have avoided ever getting to that point by not getting 2hit the day before.

Did he "hurt" his teams chances? Sure - BUT BY A VERY SMALL AMOUNT. The Cubs vaunted pitching (Prior and Wood) stunk most of that series. Take a look at our staff in the ALCS to see how it should be done. They cost them that series - not the dork in the headphones.

MUsoxfan
10-16-2005, 04:34 AM
This is the last thing we should be at all concerned with. There's one team in Chicago and we're ONE FREAKING GAME AWAY FROM THE WORLD SERIES