PDA

View Full Version : Statement Game

voodoochile
10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
I feel pretty good about tonight because the Sox have done very well all season long in statement/big games. In the second half they twice swept Cleveland on the road and they won that huge first game of the Tribe series at home which allowed them to maintain something of a lead going into the final week of the season.

In addition early in the year, they were making big time statements all over the AL. Tonight is no different. The team will be ready because Ozzie is good at that stuff. Garland wants to prove he is not a regular season phenom doubly so since he got skipped in the ALDS and because he has an arbitration situation looming or a long term contract possibility.

Hope the Sox can come out of the gate fast and put the pressure on the Angels, but either way, I am not worried. This team has a big game mentality and they will be ready to play tonight.

GO SOX!

ja1022
10-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Let's hope you're right. Now that we're back to best of five, it would obviously be nice to take back home field advantage tonight and apply some pressure. Ain't this stuff great?

Sad
10-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm ready for this game...

I'm gonna go home & work on my bedroom renovation project to keep me occupied 'til first pitch...

at which time: :gulp: will commence!

Fuller_Schettman
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Statement Games usually have big exclamation points!
I think our offense will be BIG tonight.

Vernam
10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Garland has a chance to prove definitively that the 18 wins were no fluke. It's foolish for anyone to suggest they were, but we've seen plenty of foolishness in the past 48 hours. I wonder if there's any precedent for an 18-game winner, barring injury, not to pitch until his team's sixth playoff game. We bad!

Not to belabor the obvious, but Pods needs to get off. I don't know how his injury is, but he just seems timid. When was the last time he got picked off first? Earlier in the year, when he was stealing a lot, he got picked off occasionally -- as well he should, because it's part of the price for running aggressively. It's being thrown out by 10 feet at second base that should concern everyone, not getting caught leaning once or twice per week.

Tonight's the night we should take command.

Vernam

Damer
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
There are no such things as "statement games" in the playoffs. (In fact, I'm not sure there are ever "statement games", but that's for another time.) Anyway, games are too precious in the playoffs to worry about whether or not you made a "statement". You think Ozzie is telling his guys about how this game "could really prove something to someone". No. He's telling them, "Let's play a White Sox Winner."

Hangar18
10-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Uh oh, I hope this doesnt turn into one of those This-games-important, No-it-isnt-theyre-all-important, name-calling threads. For the record, I actually believe this to be a very important game also. It puts the SOX back in the drivers seat in this now 5 game series. GO GO GO SOX

Madvora
10-14-2005, 12:50 PM
We split a 4 game series last time we were in Anaheim. All games were close.

Take the first one and it makes it that much easier to take another.
We only need to take 1 to come back here, but no reason to stop after one.

The Wimperoo
10-14-2005, 12:51 PM
If the offense can score 4 or 5 tonight they should be able to win. Let's hope the bats wake up, along with the base running skills.

voodoochile
10-14-2005, 12:51 PM
There are no such things as "statement games" in the playoffs. (In fact, I'm not sure there are ever "statement games", but that's for another time.) Anyway, games are too precious in the playoffs to worry about whether or not you made a "statement". You think Ozzie is telling his guys about how this game "could really prove something to someone". No. He's telling them, "Let's play a White Sox Winner."

No, I agree with you - all games are big this time of year, but my point is the Sox have played up to big moments this season (and down to little ones after the division was all but won to some extent). I expect them to rise to the occasion tonight and play their best game of the series so far.

I think the statement the Sox will make tonight is: "We are in it to win it." Nothing more, nothing less.

Iwritecode
10-14-2005, 12:56 PM

It will prove something to the Angels players. This pitching matchup is arguably the one most favored towards the Angels this entire series. If they lose tonight they will be a game behind and still have to face Garcia (who IIRC has a pretty good record against the Angels), Contreras and Burly (both who they did not hit real well against in the first two games.)

my5thbench
10-14-2005, 02:27 PM
thanks voodoo....somehow it gives me confidence hearing this from you

I have heard too much Sox angst about tonight's game, about Garland in

particular or that Lackey owns the Sox...I wanna' see a "statement" with

lot's of Sox runs

go go SOXXXXXXXXXXX

cheeses_h_rice
10-14-2005, 03:02 PM
I hope the White Sox come out tonight and put the bigtime hurt on the Angels, something along the lines of an 8-1 win.

An Angels fan acquaintance of my wife sent an e-mail to her the day after Wednesday's game, completely ripping the 2005 Sox, saying that they "haven't beaten anybody" all year long, fold when they face good teams, and only win close games against good teams by taking advantage of ridiculous lucky/bad calls that go their way (e.g. the Graffanino play, the dropped third strike).

The e-mail got me a bit hot around the collar, the more I thought about it.

This team won 99 games during the regular season, and completely stepped up the last week of the season when it absolutely mattered. We knocked out the Indians the final weekend of the year, after we had already clinched the division. We dominated the Red Sox, the reigning champions, despite the best efforts of Damaso Marte to give them the third game. And, so far, I don't think the Angels have shown that they deserve to be up 2-0 any more than the Sox have shown that they deserve to be up 2-0. It's not the White Sox's fault that they put away the division early enough and won enough games to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs. It's not the White Sox's fault that they were able to reset their starting rotation after sweeping the Red Sox. It's not the White Sox's fault that the Angels had to play a bunch of games with no rest leading up to this series.

The White Sox have played like garbage on offense this series, and if they had executed just a bit in Game 1, they'd be up 2-0 on those "great" Angels.

You don't play these games on paper. The Angels are tied at 1 game with the White Sox because they absolutely deserved their fate.

Let's go White Sox. Kick some ass tonight.

Ol' No. 2
10-14-2005, 03:09 PM
I hope the White Sox come out tonight and put the bigtime hurt on the Angels, something along the lines of an 8-1 win.

An Angels fan acquaintance of my wife sent an e-mail to her the day after Wednesday's game, completely ripping the 2005 Sox, saying that they "haven't beaten anybody" all year long, fold when they face good teams, and only win close games against good teams by taking advantage of ridiculous lucky/bad calls that go their way (e.g. the Graffanino play, the dropped third strike).

The e-mail got me a bit hot around the collar, the more I thought about it.

This team won 99 games during the regular season, and completely stepped up the last week of the season when it absolutely mattered. We knocked out the Indians the final weekend of the year, after we had already clinched the division. We dominated the Red Sox, the reigning champions, despite the best efforts of Damaso Marte to give them the third game. And, so far, I don't think the Angels have shown that they deserve to be up 2-0 any more than the Sox have shown that they deserve to be up 2-0. It's not the White Sox's fault that they put away the division early enough and won enough games to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs. It's not the White Sox's fault that they were able to reset their starting rotation after sweeping the Red Sox. It's not the White Sox's fault that the Angels had to play a bunch of games with no rest leading up to this series.

The White Sox have played like garbage on offense this series, and if they had executed just a bit in Game 1, they'd be up 2-0 on those "great" Angels.

You don't play these games on paper. The Angels are tied at 1 game with the White Sox because they absolutely deserved their fate.

Let's go White Sox. Kick some ass tonight.Let's give a little credit to the Angels' pitching. They're not near the top of the AL in pitching for nothing. The Sox are not a good hitting team, and they will struggle against good pitching. The saving grace is that you can say the exact same thing about the Angels. We're going to see a lot more close games, and when you have close games, they're often decided by a lucky break or two. The Angels had their share of breaks, too. The winner will be the one who capitalizes on them.

I'll take three more, thanks.:)

Iwritecode
10-14-2005, 03:31 PM
"I'd rather be lucky than good"
-Ozzie

Rustyzipper
10-14-2005, 03:54 PM
The Sox need to get off to a big start tonight, The drop`d 3rd strike will be on everyones mind. It would not surprise me a bit to see the Angels play it up a bit, Like the "first strike Out" Lackey gets.. the Catcher will put a tag on the Batter..The crowd will go Nuts.

So, we need to get that out of the way quick...

Sox will win IF they get 5 runs fast.

GOOOOOO SOX.. Bring home two.

Ol' No. 2
10-14-2005, 03:58 PM
The Sox need to get off to a big start tonight, The drop`d 3rd strike will be on everyones mind. It would not surprise me a bit to see the Angels play it up a bit, Like the "first strike Out" Lackey gets.. the Catcher will put a tag on the Batter..The crowd will go Nuts.

So, we need to get that out of the way quick...

Sox will win IF they get 5 runs fast.

GOOOOOO SOX.. Bring home two.If Scioscia is half the manager I think he is, the Angels players will have put the whole thing behind them. The LAST thing they need is to be dwelling on the last game. And the Sox had better do the same.

Rustyzipper
10-14-2005, 04:13 PM
If Scioscia is half the manager I think he is, the Angels players will have put the whole thing behind them. The LAST thing they need is to be dwelling on the last game. And the Sox had better do the same.

Totaly Agree ! But if that does happen, I hope A.J. does it back to them, everytime they strike out... Talk about getting in there heads.

Gooo Goooo Sox..

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Hopefully,14 days without facing live hitters (no,a simulated game doesn't
count in my book)will not hurt Garland.Keep the damage minimal. John
(with an "h") Lackey has done well against the Sox.In 3 starts,his record
is 2-0 with a 2.57 ERA.

C'mon,guys.Add some points to that ERA and let the
chips fall where they may.:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

voodoochile
10-15-2005, 03:07 AM
Told you I wasn't worried.

Angels are in trouble.

Sox are hot hot hot right now and looking to put this thing away.

I feel like I just watched the first game of the final series in Cleveland again.

harwar
10-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Told you I wasn't worried.

Angels are in trouble.

Sox are hot hot hot right now and looking to put this thing away.

I feel like I just watched the first game of the final series in Cleveland again.

Yes,our pitching is just too good right now.It seems that every pitcher that goes out there does so with his best stuff and all of his pitches working.
I think Freddy will keep the pattern going and be dominant.He has good numbers against the angels anyway.
Its a shame everyone seems to dislike the Sox as what they are doing right now is history making.
I mean their pitching seems to be getting better with each passing game and i wouldn't want to have to face any of these guys if i were the opposition.

ode to veeck
10-15-2005, 08:22 AM
I'd say that was a statement.
Good call Voodoo, I've liked your attitude since August
"No Prisoners!"

Vernam
10-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I'd say that was a statement.
Good call Voodoo, I've liked your attitude since August
"No Prisoners!"This thread was going through my mind all during last night's game. Everything we'd hoped for seemed to come true: The Sox got an early lead, Garland was nearly unhittable, the ridiculous controversy faded away, and this team looks like they're ready to end the series fast.

I'll try to contain my disappointment if they clinch on the road again. :gulp:

In the meantime, we're all ears for your Game 4 predictions, Voodoo!

Vernam

Deuce
10-15-2005, 09:40 AM
I thought yesterday's game was a must win for the Angels. Lackey is their "ace" right now, and they need to win with their big guns. They didn't. Now, they are up against a wall. Garcia is no slouch, and then we restart our order. That's bad news for the Angels. That and I doubt Bell can pull off another Game 1 performance.

Deuce