PDA

View Full Version : Too much time off=bad Sinker??

IUPeterman
10-14-2005, 11:09 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Garland preferred to pitch with *some* arm fatigue, as it helps his sinker attain more break. For you former pitchers out there, is there any truth to this? Is it one of those things where if he has a certain degree of fatigue, it prevents him from overthrowing?

GO SOX!!

OEO Magglio
10-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Garland preferred to pitch with *some* arm fatigue, as it helps his slider attain more break. For you former pitchers out there, is there any truth to this? Is it one of those things where if he has a certain degree of fatigue, it prevents him from overthrowing?

GO SOX!!
You're thinking of his sinker. Some sinkerballers would rather pitch a little tired as it would keep them from overthrowing the ball and allow more sink on their sinker.

peeonwrigley
10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm assuming he's been throwing simulated games, etc during the layoff. He should also work in the bullpen more than usual if he feels he needs to before the game tonight.

rocky biddle
10-14-2005, 11:15 AM
If you read the Suntimes, they talk about it like 75 times. They almost mention it as much as how the Sox stole game 2 from the poor, cheated Angels.

voodoochile
10-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Cooper was saying that if necessary they would let him throw 200 pitches in a simulated game to make sure he was fine. Cooper was obviously being silly as Garland threw 75 pitches on Sunday in a simulated game.

He'll be fine.

itsnotrequired
10-14-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm assuming he's been throwing simulated games, etc during the layoff. He should also work in the bullpen more than usual if he feels he needs to before the game tonight.

I know he's pitched at least one simulated game since his last start and I'm assuming he has pitched another.

Closing in on Wood!:tongue:

Jjav829
10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't say that Garland will have a bad sinker. The thought is that sinkerball pitchers tend to be a little better when they are on short rest.

FWIW, Garland went 8 days in between starts at the All-Star break. In Garland's first start after the break he went 6 innings, allowing 0 runs, 7 hits, 2 walks and 2 strikeouts. Not bad. I'd say if Garland is bad tonight it probably has more to do with him just not locating or with the Angels getting some bloopers followed by a mistake.

Sad
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
yeah I heard him say the same on the radio earlier this AM...
go get em Boyo!

rm0824
10-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but if Garland struggles we do have a certain pitcher who thrives in the postseason:

El Duque. Hopefully, his last outing v. LAAAAAAAAAAA was just a blip. Also, hopefully we won't even have to use him and Garland pitches 6/7 solid outings.

FedEx227
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Closing in on Wood!:tongue:

don't say that...its not fair to Wood, hes the Walter Johnson of simulated games.

34rancher
10-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Garland threw 75 pitches on Sunday in a simulated game. He'll be fine.

What I didn't understand is why they did not let Garland throw batting practice against the guys to get ready for Byrd. I would have thought that putting a screen in front of Garland would have given them experience against a sinker for Tue.

SweetnesSox
10-14-2005, 02:28 PM
What I didn't understand is why they did not let Garland throw batting practice against the guys to get ready for Byrd. I would have thought that putting a screen in front of Garland would have given them experience against a sinker for Tue.

they have BP pitchers for that reason. that's like saying "how come Troy Aikman didn't throw every warm up pass to michael irvin? it would get him warmed up for his throws." The sox have seen sinkerball pitchers all year, they know what's coming. plus, Garland just threw a 75-pitch simulated game on monday. he has no reason to not pitch well. it's easy to take a little off a pitch.

kevingrt
10-14-2005, 02:31 PM
they have BP pitchers for that reason. that's like saying "how come Troy Aikman didn't throw every warm up pass to michael irvin? it would get him warmed up for his throws." The sox have seen sinkerball pitchers all year, they know what's coming. plus, Garland just threw a 75-pitch simulated game on monday. he has no reason to not pitch well. it's easy to take a little off a pitch.

I agree with ya here. Rest is rest and nothing beats it especially in October baseball. He should be pumped up tonight, but he to make sure he is able to take a little off that sinker pitch so it can drop well. I'm expecting a quality outing out of Garland today. Maybe not a Cy Young type performance but he is going to keep the team in the game. The hitters will have to put the game away.

ChiSoxRowand
10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I have always heard the notion that sinkerballers like shorter rest. Derek Lowe pitched that gem in game 7 of the ALCS last year on 2 days rest. I think Jon will be fine though, he through the simulated game Sunday, and if he doesn't have it our pen is well rested.

shoota II
10-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Good question IUPeterman, but I'm more worried of Jon's nerves not allowing him to pitch as well as he can. It'll be his first postseason start, and it's in the second round against a good pitcher in a foreign park.

I'm hoping his adrenaline gets him through the first 2-3 innings and then he will be able to keep focus and remember he's still home in Southern California.

Hopefully he can surf through a quality start riding one long, smooth wave and not end up crashing on the rocks (Angels home runs) past the outfield wall.

Do we have a match? Is this the Jon Garland emoticon? They both have left-ward side-smirks and they're both "cool."

:jon :cool:

kjhanson
10-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but this is how Jon has performed this year at different rest intervals:
5 Days Rest: 9-3 2.78 2.15 K:BB .214 BAA
>5 Days Rest: 8-7 4.08 2.80 K:BB .283 BAA

Seems odd that his Strikeout:Walk Ratio is drastically better after 5 days rest but the Batting Average Against is not. On the bright side, baserunners are only 2 of 8 stealing when Jon gets more than 5 days rest!

Of course what I forgot to tell you is this: 2004 performance at rest intervals:
5 Days Rest: 8-6 5.65 2.06 K:BB .280 BAA
>5 Days Rest: 3-5 3.91 1.16 K:BB .250 BAA

The numbers are reversed. He performed better (with the exception of K:BB) with more rest.

Take this as you will. There's no statistical evidence over the past two years to prove that he's a better or worse pitcher after a certain amount of rest. He's gonna come out tonite and probably be the 18-10 3.50 pitcher we saw all year long.