PDA

View Full Version : Dayn Perry: This series has lost its legitimacy

dakuda
10-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Searched, found no reference to this article elsewhere.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4989886

...and the legitimacy of this series has been gravely undermined by Eddings' incompetence.

While I typically do not care what the media says (about anything, not just basbeall), I just think that the statement is pretty harsh. But, consider the source.

Optipessimism
10-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Dayn Perry is an...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006GT8BK.01-A3HXEBO46R6PLS._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

MUsoxfan
10-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Dayn Perry is an...

Wow....:o::D:

Jurr
10-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Yeah...one call that only mattered because the Sox came up with a clutch hit. This is typical crap written from a guy that probably wouldn't know which way you step into a jock strap.

If the Sox didn't do their job and make the most of the opportunity, they'd be talking about "how the heroic Angels overcame the call and won the game."
It wouldn't have "compromised the intergrity of the series" if the Angels had won. If the Sox won in the 10th inning, they would still be saying that the call "proved to shake up the Angels, causing the loss". Spin doctoring should be kept in politics. These journalists that couldn't even make a high school team should report the action and that's it. They don't have any say whatsoever about the legitimacy of a sporting event. This is part of the problem in sports media.....these guys want to feel like they're part of the action, so they make 'big' statements like these to try and steer the feeling (and possibly the future outcomes) of a game that they are in reality very distant from.

Banix12
10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Is "sports journalism" an oxymoron?

I seriously never think much of stuff like this. I consider sportswriters maybe one step below "Dear Abby" and maybe one step above Music Critic on the journalism food chain.

And like most journalists his main job is to create some sort of hard line between right and wrong and speak in controversial terms so as to get people talking about his column and opinions.

As for Dayn Perry, If it were not for this site I would have never heard of the guy so I really truly could not care less.

TommyJohn
10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I just don't understand all this freaking hyperventilating. I mean, it happened.
Move on.

Jurr
10-13-2005, 09:42 PM

I seriously never think much of stuff like this. I consider sportswriters maybe one step below "Dear Abby" and maybe one step above Music Critic on the journalism food chain.

And like most journalists his main job is to create some sort of hard line between right and wrong and speak in controversial terms so as to get people talking about his column and opinions.

As for Dayn Perry, If it were not for this site I would have never heard of the guy so I really truly could not care less.
Yeah..it's absolute crap. Back in the day, people didn't have 200 different ways to catch the game. There was no t.v., internet radio, phone updates, streaming video, and all the other crap. In a great deal of areas, the sports writer was responsible (along with radio) to set the scene of games all over the country. If you weren't a Yankees/Giants/Dodgers fan, you had to rely on the newspaper to keep up. Some people loved a team and a superstar on that team without ever seeing his face. All they'd see is a box score entry. Now that the media folks aren't the primary source of information on the game, they have to do something else to feel important or to have a job. So, they write sensationalized crap. Oh well.

RKMeibalane
10-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Given how much the media has whined over the absence of New York and Boston, I'm surprised that this series had any ligitimacy to begin with.

Optipessimism
10-13-2005, 09:46 PM

Same here. What surprises me most though is that the poorest articles I've read all season (and there are quite a few) come from this guy. The last one I read of his was the one where he was ranking what he thought were the most overrated players in the game, basically throwing out about 8 of ten guys who are among the cream of the crop at their positions including Ichiro and Beltran. What a moron. Now this?

To me, this idiot makes Moronotti look like Fisk in terms of knowledge of the game. If there were one 'sports journalist' that I could freely beat senseless with a sock full of quarters, it's him.

dakuda
10-13-2005, 09:50 PM
First I heard of him was here as well, best as I can recall. I just thought that I would share the link.

Ol' No. 2
10-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Same here. What surprises me most though is that the poorest articles I've read all season (and there are quite a few) come from this guy. The last one I read of his was the one where he was ranking what he thought were the most overrated players in the game, basically throwing out about 8 of ten guys who are among the cream of the crop at their positions including Ichiro and Beltran. What a moron. Now this?

To me, this idiot makes Moronotti look like Fisk in terms of knowledge of the game. If there were one 'sports journalist' that I could freely beat senseless with a sock full of quarters, it's him.This is the same dweeb who said that Podsednik was overrated because he didn't hit enough home runs. Even as sports journalists go, Perry is horrible.

robin23
10-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Given how much the media has whined over the absence of New York and Boston, I'm surprised that this series had any ligitimacy to begin with.

Good point... :mad:

The_Floridian
10-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Dayn Perry is an...

In the words of Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham..."Oh my."

Mr. White Sox
10-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Remember Jeffery Maier?

Thanks to that kid, the Yankees franchise has lost all legitimacy, popularity and media love.

LuvSox
10-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Dayn Perry is an...

I like your style :D:

Chisox003
10-14-2005, 12:17 AM
This is the same dweeb who said that Podsednik was overrated because he didn't hit enough home runs. Even as sports journalists go, Perry is horrible.
Ah, yes.....

Dayn.......Per.....ry? :unsure:

Yes, we should take "Dayn" seriously.....

:roflmao: :rolling:

Pleeeeease

TDog
10-14-2005, 12:29 AM

Are you quoting me, the only Munster High graduate (that I know of) working in Alaska's capital, or are you astute enough to have figured that out on your own?

It must be wonderful to be overpaid and think you're famous just because your "job" involves expressing opinions about sports. Occasionally you are pressured to get the inside scoop, but you don't name your sources, the stuff you say is imminent doesn't happen and you're never held accountable.

When people agree with your opinions, though, they think you're a "brilliant writer."

SouthSide_HitMen
10-14-2005, 12:59 AM
Yeah..it's absolute crap. Back in the day, people didn't have 200 different ways to catch the game. There was no t.v., internet radio, phone updates, streaming video, and all the other crap. In a great deal of areas, the sports writer was responsible (along with radio) to set the scene of games all over the country. If you weren't a Yankees/Giants/Dodgers fan, you had to rely on the newspaper to keep up. Some people loved a team and a superstar on that team without ever seeing his face. All they'd see is a box score entry. Now that the media folks aren't the primary source of information on the game, they have to do something else to feel important or to have a job. So, they write sensationalized crap. Oh well.

I agree with your point Jurr but they had pictures back in the day in newspapers (which carried the box scores) and Sports highlights were run in theatres before the movies. I have some cool old actual developed pictures of players like Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, etc which were run in the papers.

goodsy72
10-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Dayn Perry is an...

OMG !!! :rolling: Oh so very ****ed up and oh so very true !!! :rolling:

jabrch
10-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Of all the idiots with columns, this guy is the worst. He's worse than Sheeha. He's worse than Gammons. He's worse than MARIOTTI.

Dayn Perry knows nothing about baseball except what he reads in the window in his calculator. This guy is worthless.

Hangar18
10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Im sick of this kind of Bull in the Media. If this was that lovable blue team up north winning a game because of a call like this " There must be Angels in Heaven who like the cubs" "Harry Caray had something to do with that one!"
"maybe Harrys convinced people upstairs to give the cubs a break!"

zach23
10-14-2005, 08:50 AM
What Dayn really wanted to say is, "I am very nervous that the Sox will make the World Series and make me look like a fool so I am using this to lessen the accomplishment as much as possible."

Ol' No. 2
10-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Here's a better question: How much has Dayn Perry's legitimacy been undermined by HIS incompetence?

PatK
10-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Dayn Perry is an...

I was thinking more along the lines of

http://www.hedweb.com/animimag/donkey.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bf/Clown_chili_peppers.jpg/200px-Clown_chili_peppers.jpg

SouthSide_HitMen
10-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Here's a better question: How much has Dayn Perry's legitimacy been undermined by HIS incompetence?

This question assumes Dayn Perry had competence in the first place which is highly doubtful. This is the same writter who said Podsednik was THE MOST overrated player in baseball and Ichiro was in the Top 10 (and no Kerry Wood).

It would have been a hoot if Hanger went to his pizza feed last night.

1951Campbell
10-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Dayn Perry knows nothing about baseball except what he reads in the window in his calculator. This guy is worthless.

Danger! Danger! Human element does not compute.

voodoochile
10-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Are you quoting me, the only Munster High graduate (that I know of) working in Alaska's capital, or are you astute enough to have figured that out on your own?

It must be wonderful to be overpaid and think you're famous just because your "job" involves expressing opinions about sports. Occasionally you are pressured to get the inside scoop, but you don't name your sources, the stuff you say is imminent doesn't happen and you're never held accountable.

When people agree with your opinions, though, they think you're a "brilliant writer."

But they must be famous. Why some of them get their picture in the newspaper everyday and look at all the famous people they hang out with. I mean if you get to talk to people like Ozzie Guillen every day of your life, you must be somebody, right?:rolleyes:

Hitmen77
10-14-2005, 01:54 PM
The guy who wrote this article also said this.....

I don't want to get all "tapestry of the game" on you, but all these mistakes and fallibilities laid bare on the widest stage add to the appeal of the game. Would non-Raider fans really want the "Immaculate Reception" ripped from history by the replay booth?

akingamongstmen
10-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Dayn Perry is an...

I'm concerned about what you may have stumbled across when searching for that picture. I really am.

fquaye149
10-14-2005, 03:31 PM
The only time I think of legitimacy and Dayn Perry is when I'm calling him a no-talent bastard.

but apparently Podsednik's still overrated after he was the difference between our .750 ball and our august collapse (of course the pitching was as or more important, but the fact remains losing Scott hurt our offense)