PDA

View Full Version : Rolling the Ball

bigredrudy
10-13-2005, 08:40 PM
What do catchers normally do with the ball after a batter strikes out to end the inning? Do they roll the ball to the pitchers mound? Do they throw the ball out of play? Do they hand the ball to the umpire? What Ball did Crede hit for the double? Was it the same ball? And if it was why wasn't the ball replaced because of it hitting the ground. Actually I would like to know when a new ball is put into play. What ball do the pitchers use warming up before an inning? And what ball do the players use for infield practice before the inning starts.? If the batter hits a fly ball for an out is the ball replaced? I assume that a new ball is put into play if there is a ground out. I need your help on this

SweetnesSox
10-13-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm pretty sure the ball that crede smashed wasn't the same ball. first off they thought it hit the ground, and paul rolled it to the mound, meaning it would be scuffed. and if it was scuffed, crede wouldn't be able to jack it over the fence. Thats why you see catchers handing balls to the ump after a pitch in the dirt. the ump is checking for scuffs.average life of a major league baseball is seven pitches? that's the last stat i heard...

Unregistered
10-13-2005, 09:11 PM
What Ball did Crede hit for the double? Was it the same ball? And if it was why wasn't the ball replaced because of it hitting the ground.
Highly unlikely - an average of 40-50 balls are used in a game. I'm guessing they'd replace the ball after a sequence like the one that occurred. If it was, in fact a trap or touched the ground in any way, I don't think they use it again.

MUsoxfan
10-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Catchers usually toss the ball back to the mound after strike 3. There's a good game to play called "moundball". Just bet your friends $1 whether the ball winds up on the dirt or the grass between innings

Jurr
10-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Sooooooo....how about that game tomorrow night? I hope Garland has a good outing.

There was a questionable call last night? Snore.

SweetnesSox
10-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Sooooooo....how about that game tomorrow night? I hope Garland has a good outing.

There was a questionable call last night? Snore.

what kind of a sox fan are you?? only TRUE fans whine about the past for days after the game was called.

one of my friends (cub fan) said "you guys just got a cheap win" and I told him "oh yeah, you're right, we should go back out there and be good sports about it. I'm sure the angels woulda done the same for us. sports is all about playing fair and triple-checking your wins to make sure you earned them." siiigh. cub fans.

Jurr
10-13-2005, 09:56 PM
what kind of a sox fan are you?? only TRUE fans whine about the past for days after the game was called.

one of my friends (cub fan) said "you guys just got a cheap win" and I told him "oh yeah, you're right, we should go back out there and be good sports about it. I'm sure the angels woulda done the same for us. sports is all about playing fair and triple-checking your wins to make sure you earned them." siiigh. cub fans.
You should've just asked the schmuck whether or not he/she thinks the piss smell has left Wrigley yet considering there hasn't been a game there in weeks.

Daver
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
What do catchers normally do with the ball after a batter strikes out to end the inning? Do they roll the ball to the pitchers mound? Do they throw the ball out of play? Do they hand the ball to the umpire? What Ball did Crede hit for the double? Was it the same ball? And if it was why wasn't the ball replaced because of it hitting the ground. Actually I would like to know when a new ball is put into play. What ball do the pitchers use warming up before an inning? And what ball do the players use for infield practice before the inning starts.? If the batter hits a fly ball for an out is the ball replaced? I assume that a new ball is put into play if there is a ground out. I need your help on this

If the third out of an inning is a groundout, or a strikeout, the ball is normally left near the mound, if it was a flyout the ball is thrown into the stands, a custom from after the 94 strike. There is no infield practice between innings, other than the pitcher throwing warmups and the gameball being thrown around the horn with the gameball. The opposing pitcher can reject a ball when he takes the mound for the next inning, and that ball is taken out of play, a ball that hits the ground is subject to the plate umpires discretion, but he will defer to the pitcher if the pitcher wants it out of play. There are a lot of pitchers in MLB that prefer throwing a scuffed ball, they have their own reasons for that.

CLR01
10-13-2005, 10:28 PM
There is no infield practice between innings, other than the pitcher throwing warmups and the gameball being thrown around the horn with the gameball.

I see Konerko throwing grounders between innings every game. That ball comes out with Konerko and gets thrown back into the dugout before the inning starts. Same with the balls they throw in the outfield.

nasox
10-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Catchers usually toss the ball back to the mound after strike 3. There's a good game to play called "moundball". Just bet your friends $1 whether the ball winds up on the dirt or the grass between innings

:o: AAAAAACCCKKKKK! That's for idiots at the Urinal to play. We Sox fans, we consider baseball a good game to play. :cool:

MUsoxfan
10-14-2005, 12:17 AM
:o: AAAAAACCCKKKKK! That's for idiots at the Urinal to play. We Sox fans, we consider baseball a good game to play. :cool:

It's better than watching the Chevy Pride Crew:cool:

ode to veeck
10-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Josh Paul rolled the ball to the mound to put scuff marks on it to cover the one it got on the bounce into his glove

spiffie
10-14-2005, 09:53 AM
There's never a bad place or time for compulsive gambling.

bludupree
10-14-2005, 09:53 AM

That doesn't mean you can't entertain yourself at the end of innings. I have never played that game but I remember people playing it at old Comisky all the time when I was growing up. Eveything done that is not directly related to baseball at the stadium is not necessarily cub-like. You can love baseball and have fun between innings.

SweetnesSox
10-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Josh Paul rolled the ball to the mound to put scuff marks on it to cover the one it got on the bounce into his glove why is this in teal? and no my response isn't in teal either... not a bad conspiracy theory. I say run with it.

GoGoGoGo
10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
There is no infield practice between innings, other than the pitcher throwing warmups and the gameball being thrown around the horn with the gameball.

Every team in baseball has infield and outfield practice between every inning.