PDA

View Full Version : As usual - Rob Neyer only voice of reason at ESPN

PennStater98r
10-13-2005, 06:02 PM
I thought you might be interested in some comments that Neyer made about last night's play:

Game 2, 2005 ALCS
Just a few points about this latest rhubarb...

Typically, if the ball is anywhere near the dirt, the catcher will go ahead and tag the batter just to eliminate any doubt.

Kelvim Escobar (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5841)'s third pitch to Joe Crede (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6411) was a Hit Me! splitter, just about the worst 0-and-2 pitch you'll ever see.

And if the game had gone to extra innings, the White Sox would have been significantly better off because the Angels had used three of their best relievers while the White Sox hadn't used any relievers at all. All of which is to say that the Angels wouldn't necessarily have won, even if the umpire had made the tough call correctly and even if the catcher had done what catchers usually do. And as bad as things might seem for the Angels this morning, the odds are greatly against that single moment making the difference in this series.

kevingrt
10-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Well Harold Reynolds, John Kruk, and Larry Bowa all just said the ump made the correct call.

Johnny Mostil
10-13-2005, 06:13 PM
I thought you might be interested in some comments that Neyer made about last night's play:

Link?

tdh11
10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
add Jeff Brantley to the sane list too

PennStater98r
10-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Link?

You have to have ESPN Insider to read the article by Neyer, and I believe copy and pasting the article would be problematic with copyright issues.

PennStater98r
10-13-2005, 06:21 PM
On the other hand, here's one of the worst articles I've ever read from a Chicago, "Award Winning" sports journalist, Poop Jackson:

Which is absolutely how Angels second baseman Adam Kennedy was playing it as he left U.S. Cellular, goin' back to Cali. After he answered a few last questions from the media, I dapped him twice on this side of his chest and said, "Don't let this one get to you."

Linky:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/051013

Unregistered
10-13-2005, 06:32 PM
On the other hand, here's one of the worst articles I've ever read from a Chicago, "Award Winning" sports journalist, Poop Jackson:

Linky:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/051013
As usual, what a giant douchebag.

Vernam
10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
add Jeff Brantley to the sane list too:tealpolice:

I love how Brantley always looks so pleased with himself after he utters some pearl of wisdom. Looks just like Will Farrell when he played Bush on SNL.

If Brantley thinks the call was proper, that's the most damning evidence against Eddings to emerge so far.

Vernam

shoota II
10-13-2005, 06:40 PM
As usual, what a giant douchebag.

That guy needs to take a new picture.

http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/jackson_scoop_m.jpg

I wonder what his real first name is.

LongLiveFisk
10-13-2005, 06:41 PM
add Jeff Brantley to the sane list too

And it's a sad state of affairs when you can say that with a straight face.

SoxSpeed22
10-13-2005, 06:42 PM
After watching ESPN for some time...
THERE WAS NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT THE BALL WAS CAUGHT! JOSH PAUL DID NOT TAG AJ OUT LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE, PERIOD.
I don't recall Eddings allowing that easy stolen base to Pablo. I also don't recall Eddings throwing an 0-2 meatball that Crede turned into a double. If you insist on living in the past, enjoy getting run over in the present!

EDIT: Mods, feel free to move this one to the Sportsblab radio thread. This post seems to belong in that thread.

NWSox
10-14-2005, 01:46 AM
I've been thinking about Neyer's last point all day. The Sox were still more likely to win that game last night than the Angels. Who was going to pitch? If Scioscia sends K-Rod out in a tie game, the game could still be tied and then he's screwed. The Sox bullpen has seen exactly 2/3 of inning of action since last Friday. Extra innings favored the Sox completely.

Cutter
10-14-2005, 11:26 AM
That guy needs to take a new picture.

http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/jackson_scoop_m.jpg

I wonder what his real first name is.

When one "daps" another, what does that mean?

Also, said Scoop: "If he sticks to his belief that they simply didn't "play well enough to win," they might not have to come back to Chicago. Their next stop will be St. Louis."

Coming to a World Series near you, the Sox and the 'Stros!

PatK
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I love how Brantley always looks so pleased with himself after he utters some pearl of wisdom. Looks just like Will Farrell when he played Bush on SNL.

Except Will Farrell was only pretending to be an idiot.

ElevenUp
10-14-2005, 11:59 AM
After he answered a few last questions from the media, I dapped him twice on this side of his chest and said, "Don't let this one get to you."

Perhaps the gayest thing I've ever read. EVER! I would have enjoyed it much more had it read: "After he answered a few last questions from the media, I slapped him in the face and said, "Who's your Daddy now?"

ElevenUp
10-14-2005, 12:05 PM
When one "daps" another, what does that mean?

IIRC it means: suckling the nipple.:D:

So.ILSoxFan
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Perhaps the gayest thing I've ever read. EVER! I would have enjoyed it much more had it read: "After he answered a few last questions from the media, I slapped him in the face and said, "Who's your Daddy now?"

Congratulations!!!!!! You just made yourself sound as ignorant as the person making the stupid comment in the first place!!!!!!

:rolleyes:Let's grow up now people.

ElevenUp
10-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Congratulations!!!!!! You just made yourself sound as ignorant as the person making the stupid comment in the first place!!!!!!

:rolleyes:Let's grow up now people.

Uhhhh... that's the point, guy. It's moronic coming from a "reporter" who should be objective. Jackson never should have placed himself in the article in that manner.

So.ILSoxFan
10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Uhhhh... that's the point, guy. It's moronic coming from a "reporter" who should be objective. Jackson never should have placed himself in the article in that manner.

Couldn't agree more, and I guess I should have been more clear. I'm not refering to the sarcasm of your comment, I'm refering to you calling the comment "gay". I'm not a person who's big on being PC, and I'm not gay and offended. I just think it sounds like you are 13 (apologies if you are).

"Hey man, this or that is so gay." Feel like I'm back in Jr. High.

Unregistered
10-14-2005, 05:53 PM

Linky:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/051013It's just incredible how much this guy hates the Sox. This is the same guy who paints himself a "Chicago Guy," but he's been talking **** about them all year and now all of the sudden he's patting Angels players on the back and telling them to keep their heads up and beat his hometown team. What a piece of **** this guy is.

I'm sure if the "Cubbies" were on the receiving end of a call like this, he'd be all about "cashing in on the opportunity." Now the Sox are the bad guys cause they kept their heads down and played the game until the LAST OUT. You should be ashamed of yourself, "Scoop." :angry:

tstrike2000
10-14-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm sure if the "Cubbies" were on the receiving end of a call like this, he'd be all about "cashing in on the opportunity." Now the Sox are the bad guys cause they kept their heads down and played the game until the LAST OUT.

Absolutely, that goes without saying. I've basically heard nothing different from the Scrub fan hecklers I know and Scrub fans in general. Half of them don't even know you can run on a dropped third strike, so arguing a point of futile.