PDA

View Full Version : Bad news on the Boone front

danman31
12-11-2001, 04:07 PM
From ESPN.com
Meanwhile, the Mariners are still hoping to keep free agent second baseman Bret Boone in Seattle. The Mariners have sweetened their $23 million, three-year offer to the second baseman who is coming off the best season of his career, by far.

The new offer adds a fourth year if Boone plays a certain amount his third year, which could increase the potential payout to $30 million, The Seattle Times reported Tuesday.

Team officials and Boone's agent, Adam Katz, were at baseball's annual winter meetings in Boston Tuesday, and could not immediately be reached by The Associated Press.

On Monday, Mariners General Manager Pat Gillick declined to discuss specifics of the new offer, but told The Times, "I can confirm the team genuinely wants the player back. It's a good feeling."

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which also reported Tuesday that the Mariners had improved their offer, said Gillick was optimistic.

"With Boone, I feel as long as there is dialogue going on, it's a good thing," he told the P-I.

Boone, who signed as a free agent in December 2000, hit .331 with 37 homers and an American League-best 141 runs batted in.

"Bret truly loved his Seattle experience," Katz told the Times. "The problem is that he had such an extraordinary season, you feel like the economic package should be in a similar area. ... We'd like them to expand it a little bit."

On a seperate note, 1000 posts for me! YAY!! :) :) :)
:dinger

duke of dorwood
12-11-2001, 04:11 PM
Kudos on the big 1000.

danman31
12-11-2001, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Kudos on the big 1000.

Thanks Duke.

BTW, I don't really think the Sox will even attempt to sign Boone, but there are some people who are hoping. :smile:

Daver
12-11-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by danman31

Thanks Duke.

BTW, I don't really think the Sox will even attempt to sign Boone, but there are some people who are hoping. :smile:

Boone is not worth the money he is demanding,he had the Brady Anderson year and is looking for a big payoff from it.He is a journeyman secondbaseman at best.

But then again what the hell do I know?

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

Boone is not worth the money he is demanding,he had the Brady Anderson year and is looking for a big payoff from it.He is a journeyman secondbaseman at best.

But then again what the hell do I know?

:b&b
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........Damn right Daver.