PDA

View Full Version : ALCS Game 3 Preview

Madvora
10-13-2005, 03:50 PM
OK, I've had enough of game 2, now it's time too look forward again.

Jon Garland vs. John Lackey on Friday 10/14.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/223559
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/174783

Lackey pitched last Wednesday against the Yankees and gave up 2 earned runs in 5.2 innings pitched with 3 Ks and 5 walks

Garland last pitched 10/1 against the Indians and went 6.2 innings, giving up 4 hits, 1 walk and 5 Ks.

I'm nervous about being out West again and I'm nervous about our hitting. I have a feeling that Garland is going to follow up Buehrle's performance with a gem of him own tomorrow night. Our offense needs just enough to support him.

Their bullpen has been used a lot lately and that might start taking it's toll at the end of a 7 game series. Keep trying to knock those starters out early and wear out the bullpen for future games.

elrod
10-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Game Three is a must win for the Angels for a few reasons:

1. How will they respond to the craziness at the end of Game Two? We'll know soon. But everybody will be thinking about it.

2. The Angels own Garland. This year, Garland is 0-2 with a 6.92 ERA and .358 BAA against the Angels. Only Toronto hit him harder. He was much better last year and 2003 against the Angels (2.70 and 3.14 ERA, respectively). In 2002, the Angels hit him much harder, with a 7.71 ERA. Since 2002, he's 1-5 with a 4.78 ERA.

3. John Lackey has been the Angels' best post-season pitcher, and best pitcher overall down the stretch. He was also 2-0 with a 2.57 ERA against the Sox this year. Since the All-Star break, he's been 8-1, with a 2.57 ERA overall. He was lights out against the Yankees, including on three days rest. And he pitched a Game Seven as a rookie. Like Washburn, he's actually much better on the road, though (9-2, 3.12 vs. 5-3, 3.90).

4. First home game of the ALCS for the Angels. They need to defend their home field, especially given the dominance they've had against the Sox.

For these reasons, the Angels are heavy favorites in Game Three, but thye MUST capitalize. If the Sox win, then everybody will be talking about how the Angels folded after Game Two and the pressure will get bigger and bigger on the Angels. I think that if the Sox win tomorrow night, the series doesn't get back to Chicago.

Law11
10-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Lacky is the most underrated guy on that team. He dominated us when we faced him earlier this year. Our bats waking up would be nice but I dont see us pounding 6-7 runs in any game this series..

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Lacky is the most underrated guy on that team. He dominated us when we faced him earlier this year. Our bats waking up would be nice but I dont see us pounding 6-7 runs in any game this series..

Our bats don't have to get us that many runs if the pitching stays together. I see all of these games being tight, low scoring (under 5 runs) affairs.

Jjav829
10-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Lackey scares me a bit. I can see us losing game 3. Game 4 and game 5 look to favor us a little more.

IMO, we only need to win one of these three games on the road. I'd love a sweep but that isn't realistic. Two out of three will be tough. I think one out of three will be OK. If we can bring this series back home down 3-2, I think we have a good shot at winning the series. Game 6 would be Buehrle at home. We saw what he did yesterday and I think he could come close to that again. Game 7 usually gives the home team an advantage except in some rare cases (ie: 2004 when the Yankees were home for game 7 but it was so clear that Boston had the momentum having come back from down 3-0). We would have basically our entire pitching staff, save Buehrle, available for that game.

I don't want to set my standards too low. I'd love to see the Sox go out there and take two out of three, but I'm comfortable with taking one and bringing this series back here for a game 6 and hopefully game 7.

soxfanreggie
10-13-2005, 04:39 PM
My hope is that we come back from LA ahead 3-2. We could have Jose pitch game 5 out there and have Mark the "Ace" Buehrle ready to go in game 6. I don't think the series will end out there. I think we go into game 5 tied 2-2 and hopefully will come out ahead 3-2 behind Jose, if he can stay strong...which I will believe he can.

Cutter
10-13-2005, 04:52 PM
What a great time for the Sox to reverse the trend on this (from the Southtown):

Since 1995, the South Siders have gone a combined 55-112 in Anaheim, Oakland and Seattle during the regular season. By comparison, the Sox have posted a 368-346 regular-season record in all other major league ballparks outside of U.S. Cellular Field during that stretch.

That's a difference of playing .329 baseball on the West Coast vs. .515 everywhere else. :o:

Chicken Dinner
10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I think the Angels and White Sox catchers will be tagging every batter after every pitch.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
I think Ozzie started Garland in game three because of Lackey. He didn't want to put Garcia against Lackey, figuring Lackey is going to be the toughest LA starter and Garland is a question mark coming off a long layoff. If we steal one against Lackey, LA is in trouble.

gf2020
10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I have a crazy feeling that Garland is going to do something special Friday and I'm not a kool aid drinker by any means. I just feel it in my bones. This is his moment.

Ol' No. 2
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
What a great time for the Sox to reverse the trend on this (from the Southtown):

Since 1995, the South Siders have gone a combined 55-112 in Anaheim, Oakland and Seattle during the regular season. By comparison, the Sox have posted a 368-346 regular-season record in all other major league ballparks outside of U.S. Cellular Field during that stretch.

That's a difference of playing .329 baseball on the West Coast vs. .515 everywhere else. :o:I guess the Sox should just save the travel costs and concede.

Who cares about 1995? What possible relevance does that have to tomorrow's game? The Sox didn't play too well this year in the regular season against the Red Sox, either. How'd that work out?

Cutter
10-13-2005, 06:11 PM
I guess the Sox should just save the travel costs and concede.

Who cares about 1995? What possible relevance does that have to tomorrow's game? The Sox didn't play too well this year in the regular season against the Red Sox, either. How'd that work out?

Fair enough, Nellie.

kitekrazy
10-13-2005, 06:52 PM
I think the Sox chances are better this time. When they play on the West Coast at 7:30, for them it's like plying a game at 9:30 p.m.

Dan1972
10-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I think the Sox chances are better this time. When they play on the West Coast at 7:30, for them it's like plying a game at 9:30 p.m.

Don't you mean 5:30 ? :smile:

longshot7
10-13-2005, 07:09 PM
I like Lackey on paper, but I'm putting more money on Santana to dominate us vs. Big John.

Game 3 goes to the late innings, and we have a shot, like game 2. Garland has to keep it close.

We play great on the road, and the Angels are so-so at home. Forget all that "We can't play on the West Coast" nonsense. When the Sox were in Anaheim in May, they split a four game series - I was at three of them.

We can do this. 2 of 3 in Anaheim and we're in the driver's seat.

LongLiveFisk
10-13-2005, 08:05 PM
My hope is that we come back from LA ahead 3-2.

Same here. I never want to see the Sox within a game of elimination, home field advantage or not. If we come home with a 3-2 lead, putting them away in Game 6 would be ideal. Going down to Game 7, I will definitely have no fingernails left! :smile:

Jurr
10-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Same here. I never want to see the Sox within a game of elimination, home field advantage or not. If we come home with a 3-2 lead, putting them away in Game 6 would be ideal. Going down to Game 7, I will definitely have no fingernails left! :smile:
I have a feeling we'll be coming back down 3-2. This would be a tough situation, but it isn't unreasonable to overcome. Hopefully, the warmer weather in LA will help the Sox bats wake up a little. If we come back up 3-2, I'd be absolutely ecstatic. Hell, go ahead and put 'em away in Cali!!!

mike squires
10-13-2005, 08:49 PM
I think it's important for us to come out firing. I mean let's pound them like we did Boston. It will put to rest the "controversial" call talk and everyone will know that we would have won regardless. One thing is for sure, we need to play more fundamentally sound inlcuding better baserunning and getting the bunts down.

I must admit, I was thinking something was wrong with me. I was more excited and pumped up/nervous during the games leading up to the playoffs and the series agaisnt Boston. I think tomorrow I'll have my mojo back.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
http://www.dailynexus.com/story_images/2001-05-16/native_american_TB.jpglet's all do a little dance for the awakening of jd's bat!

bigsqwert
10-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I think it's time one of our starters (Garland) had a start that was not expected. First Byrd with short rest and then Washburn coming off a 102 degree fever. Lets see Big Jon pitch a gem when most would expect him not to after having 2 months off.

Vernam
10-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Game Three is a must win for the Angels for a few reasons:All good, thoughtful points that you raise. On the other hand, mine are mostly wishful thinking:

1. How will they respond to the craziness at the end of Game Two? We'll know soon. But everybody will be thinking about it.They'll react the way the Toons did to that fly ball off Sizemore's ass in Kansas City. "Omigod, this is where everything falls apart!"

2. The Angels own Garland. This year, Garland is 0-2 with a 6.92 ERA and .358 BAA against the Angels. Only Toronto hit him harder. He was much better last year and 2003 against the Angels (2.70 and 3.14 ERA, respectively). In 2002, the Angels hit him much harder, with a 7.71 ERA. Since 2002, he's 1-5 with a 4.78 ERA.Pass. :cool: I do think the long-layoff theory is being overstated. Garland should just treat the days off as a refreshing, Duque-style stint on the DL.

3. John Lackey has been the Angels' best post-season pitcher, and best pitcher overall down the stretch. He was also 2-0 with a 2.57 ERA against the Sox this year. Since the All-Star break, he's been 8-1, with a 2.57 ERA overall. He was lights out against the Yankees, including on three days rest. And he pitched a Game Seven as a rookie. Like Washburn, he's actually much better on the road, though (9-2, 3.12 vs. 5-3, 3.90). Lackey popped off after being lifted in ALDS game 4, when Shields blew a 2-1 lead. Could be just a competitive guy, or maybe he's prone to feeling the playoff pressure.

4. First home game of the ALCS for the Angels. They need to defend their home field, especially given the dominance they've had against the Sox.The Angels know in their hearts that they'd be golfing if Crosby hadn't run Sheffield off that fly in game 5 of the ALDS. They played valiantly in game 1 of the ALCS but were lucky to beat us. They played stupid in game 2 and were lucky not to have lost worse. Just one victory by the Sox in Anaheim will put us in good shape, and two will put the Angels at death's door.

For these reasons, the Angels are heavy favorites in Game Three, but thye MUST capitalize. If the Sox win, then everybody will be talking about how the Angels folded after Game Two and the pressure will get bigger and bigger on the Angels. I think that if the Sox win tomorrow night, the series doesn't get back to Chicago.Yeah, they've put a brave face on it, but the loss of Colon has to be a source of nagging doubts. Santana could be lights-out, or he could pitch like a 22-year-old; they've got to like him better in long relief than as SP savior. Though he's hit some balls hard, Guerrero is showing signs of a Bonds-like postseason fade. Last night, we dented their bullpen's aura of invincibility. Etc.

As you say, the pressure will mostly be on them to win game 3. The pressure on the Sox is mostly to stop making bonehead plays, which the 162-game season indicates they're capable of eliminating. If they do -- or if they don't -- it might not matter much how the Angels respond.

Vernam

OEO Magglio
10-14-2005, 01:45 AM
If we can somehow grab a win tomorrow we'd be in terrific shape. We'd automatically be sured of a trip back to chicago if we needed it, not only that but we'd also need two more wins to advance and have Jose and Mark each going one more time. GO SOX!!!!!!!

harwar
10-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't like to start a thread because the moderators have enough to do but i sure had to dig deep to find something about tonights' game.
Anyway,i am wondering how J.G. will respond to the biggest game of his life.
Hes' back in the area where he grew up,its where the White Sox have had trouble,its the first game after all the manufactured hype dealing with what the media has blown WAY out of proportion,and he hasn't pitched in a real game IN TWO WEEKS.
The White sox offense is going to have to be patient with lackey and the defense can not make any mistakes.

John Barrett
10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Garland makes me nervous... he has not pitched yet so I think he is very uptight and with all the rest, might be off. lackey is incredible and very poised...our bats are silent and I just don't have a good feeling about the next 2 games , even with Garcia going (HE ALWAYS MAKES ME NERVOUS, don't know what he is thinking out there at times) ... PLEASE SOMEBODY TALK ME OFF THE LEDGE. I don't want to feel this way-- I am looking for something to feel good about. trying not to think of the "west coast" thing along with all the other factors i precieve to be against us...

34 Inch Stick
10-14-2005, 11:51 AM
I see a loss tonight and a win in game 5 with Contrearas pitching against Byrd (no way he reproduces that effort). Game 4 is the one that is up in the air. It is a semi day game (5:15 local) on the road, which is good for Freddy. We are going against a young pitcher who had the performance of a lifetime in a Game 5 in his previous "start". I like the Sox chances.

Still if you said we were coming back to Chicago down 3-2 I would not be disappointed. Buhrle going in Game 6 is a good sign for a game 7. A one game winner take all at home is something I would love.

kitekrazy
10-14-2005, 11:59 AM
I prefer Garland over Freddy. I'm still waiting for that hype about Freddy to actually come true.

GoGoGoGo
10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Don't you mean 5:30 ? :smile:

Hmmm..you might want to rethink that.