PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Molina Quote

XplodingScorbord
10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Got this off MLB.com: "You will never see a catcher trap a ball and just roll it back to the mound. Never," Bengie Molina said. "Why? If there is any doubt, why not just tag the guy? He's standing right there."

Right! If there's any doubt, which, when your glove is touching the ground when the ball arrives there could easily be, "why not just tag the guy? He's standing right there."

What, the ump is just supposed to take the catcher's actions as the gospel? In that case, the strike zone just got about six inches wider on either side, since they all pull their gloves into the zone to give the illusion of a strike. Umps don't fall for that, at least not too much.

In fact, if a player's actions dictate how the call should go, then even when it's not a dropped third strike you should run to first, because your actions would "prove" that the strike was dropped!

Jjav829
10-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Molina is just sticking up for his teammate. I'm sure Pierzynski would say the same thing if something like this happened to Widger. No big deal...

cheeses_h_rice
10-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Tim McCarver was very insistent that BECAUSE Josh Paul rolled the ball back to the mound, that must mean he knew he caught it cleanly.

Ohhhhkay.

So, how about this: if AJ started running toward first base, can't it equally be said that he knew that the ball was NOT caught cleanly? Or are we to let catchers dictate calls instead of other players, or heaven forbid, the UMPIRES?

Iwritecode
10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Tim McCarver was very insistent that BECAUSE Josh Paul rolled the ball back to the mound, that must mean he knew he caught it cleanly.

Ohhhhkay.

So, how about this: if AJ started running toward first base, can't it equally be said that he knew that the ball was NOT caught cleanly? Or are we to let catchers dictate calls instead of other players, or heaven forbid, the UMPIRES?

AJ thought he had caught a ball cleanly earlier in the same game until the scuff marks were pointed out to him...

ChiSoxRowand
10-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Think about this, if Jose Molina doesn't get a hit in the 8th, they don't pinch run for him. He probably would have tagged AJ out.

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Think about this, if Jose Molina doesn't get a hit in the 8th, they don't pinch run for him. He probably would have tagged AJ out.

You just blew my mind...:o:

skobabe8
10-13-2005, 05:00 PM

What about if Scosia didnt want to put both brothers in the same line-up to begin with.

Things that make you go HMMMMMMM

SweetnesSox
10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
guys, guys... there IS no tag. a tag is just whatever you want it to be.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/the_matrix__reloaded/keanu_reeves/matrix7.jpg

BRDSR
10-14-2005, 01:21 AM

I actually thought the same thing at the game. When they pulled Molina I started thinking to myself that if he doesn't score, then not only have the Angels blown 3 relievers going into extra innings but they also don't have their best guy behind the plate(I liked Josh Paul alright when he was here, but he's no defensive whizz out there). I love being prophetic!

brewcrew/chisox
10-14-2005, 01:41 AM
guys, guys... there IS no tag. a tag is just whatever you want it to be.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/the_matrix__reloaded/keanu_reeves/matrix7.jpg

Whoah!

TDog
10-14-2005, 01:47 AM

And maybe the Sox would have won in the 10th. The advantage in extra innings goes to the home team, and the Sox had a much more rested bullpen. Crede would have been coming up in extra innings, like he did against Cleveland.

But think about this, what if Jose Molina's parents had never met. The Angels would have just one catcher. With all the mishandled third strikes, the A's might have won the division and the Sox would be playing in Oakland Friday -- or New York, considering the A's playoff record.

Think about it.