PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Possibilities

shoota II
10-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Trevor Hoffman is a free agent. He could fill Marte's spot and provide insurance if Hermanson's back doesn't bounce back.

An intriguing free agent is also mentioned in the second half of the article. Joe Randa, who hit 43 doubles and 17 home runs last season, would provide some consistency and stability at our hot corner.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051007&content_id=1241748&vkey=ps2005news&fext=.jsp

akingamongstmen
10-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Joe Crede is our 3rd baseman next year. Period.

tlebar318
10-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Sammy Sosa? :redneck

Actually, I would like to see us pick up Johnny Damon...but if we win it all maybe we don't do much....why fix it if it aint broke?

eriqjaffe
10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
According to this page (http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/roster/06agency.html), Jose Valentin and Billy Koch may also be available next year!

eriqjaffe
10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Sammy Sosa? :redneck

Actually, I would like to see us pick up Johnny Damon...but if we win it all maybe we don't do much....why fix it if it aint broke?Where in the world would we use Damon?

Assuming that Konerko is re-signed, third base is (offensively) the biggest hole the Sox have. If Konerko doesn't re-sign, first base becomes the #1 priority with a bullet, unless you're all comfortable with a full season of Ross Gload - which really wouldn't be all that bad, but Ross is a decided step down from Paulie.

shoota II
10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Joe Crede is our 3rd baseman next year. Period.

Yeah, I agree.

I wouldn't be opposed to an upgrade with some consistency, or at least someone who doesn't tank entire months.

Trevor Hoffman would be a nice option in the bullpen.

clarkent
10-13-2005, 01:57 PM
One free agent I think that they should sign is Hidkki Matsui. A good left handed bat who could DH and play outfield. He would take Carl's spot and he would really make the Sox a hotter team in Japan.

tlebar318
10-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Where in the world would we use Damon?

Assuming that Konerko is re-signed, third base is (offensively) the biggest hole the Sox have. If Konerko doesn't re-sign, first base becomes the #1 priority with a bullet, unless you're all comfortable with a full season of Ross Gload - which really wouldn't be all that bad, but Ross is a decided step down from Paulie.

I love Rowand but I think Damon is the better player...if Pods doesn't regain his stolen base form next year then Rowand could move to Left with Damon in Center or vice versa....just a thought--not likely to happen.

HotelWhiteSox
10-13-2005, 02:25 PM
:threadsucks

Hokiesox
10-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Let's take care of business this year first.

Flight #24
10-13-2005, 02:49 PM
One free agent I think that they should sign is Hidkki Matsui. A good left handed bat who could DH and play outfield. He would take Carl's spot and he would really make the Sox a hotter team in Japan.

Next year starts in about 3 weeks along with parade planning.....

But FWIW, early reports are 3-yr/$35M offer from the Yanks to Matsui.

the_valenstache
10-13-2005, 02:52 PM
According to this page (http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/roster/06agency.html), Jose Valentin and Billy Koch may also be available next year!

I wouldn't mind if they joined the 2006 Chicago White Sox...Pride Crew.

infohawk
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Much of what the Sox do will probably depend on their plans for Big Frank. If the Sox bring him back, they probably won't do much. If he is allowed to walk away, they will need to bring in another bat (if they don't keep Carl). Ideally, they would try to bring in a left-handed power hitter who can also play either first base or outfield and not just DH. Ozzie likes line-up flexibility. I'm thinking along the lines of Griffey, Jr., Carlos Delgado or Lyle Overbay. Both Delgado or Overbay could platoon with Paulie (assuming he's back) at first and DH. I don't know how obtainable these guys are, and we certainly don't want to deal McCarthy, but those guys represent the kind of player I would expect the Sox to be interested in pursuing.

TimoPerez
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Where in the world would we use Damon?

You mean...

:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

cleanwsox
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM

It's a travel day, and I'm sick of hearing about the umpire call of last night. It's not like this is in the Sox Clubhouse.

DaleJRFan
10-13-2005, 03:09 PM

The Yankees offered Matsui 3 years @ 35.5MM... Sox aren't going to sign him.

According to a Japanese newspaper, the Yankees are poised to offer Hideki Matsui a three-year deal worth $35.5 million.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/55324.htm

eriqjaffe
10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
For those of you who are counting, that's $5 million for each baserunner he stranded in Game 5 of the ALDS!

Chisox003
10-13-2005, 03:46 PM
This is incredible

We just won one of the craziest games EVER last night to tie the ALCS at 1, and we're going to sit here and talk about NEXT YEAR??

Give me a break :rolleyes:

SABRSox
10-13-2005, 03:50 PM
An intriguing free agent is also mentioned in the second half of the article. Joe Randa, who hit 43 doubles and 17 home runs last season, would provide some consistency and stability at our hot corner.

WhiteSoxJosh, is that you?

PennStater98r
10-13-2005, 04:29 PM

I couldn't agree more with another DH option if Thomas is not back. I'd love to see the Sox bring over Hideki Matsui. Anyone know when Ichiro's contract is up - anyone know if Seattle is looking to move him?

ode to veeck
10-13-2005, 04:57 PM
With the ALCS going on and still a magic number of 7, this thread belongs in the "what's the score board"

gr8mexico
10-13-2005, 10:11 PM
The Sox should really consider trading Dye.He had a good year and might have some value.Then bring in Brian Giles he would put up big numbers @ the Cell.Brian Giles has speed and a .300 BA.Then try to sign some more bullpen help like Scott Eyre(LHP),Todd Jones(RHP),Ugueth Urbina(RHP).That would make are team even better to defend are Championship.:D:

OEO Magglio
10-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Mike Myers is a guy I'd like to see Kenny get and then dispose of Damaso. Myers is absolutely nasty on left handers and with ozzie's managerial style he'd be the perfect situational guy to sign for a cheap price. That being said, who cares about 06 right now, we got business to take care of this year.:smile:

mccoydp
10-14-2005, 09:49 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051007&content_id=1241748&vkey=ps2005news&fext=.jsp

Oh my, I thought WSJosh was back...

EDIT: SABRSOX beat me to this!