PDA

View Full Version : The Score tells the country we got away with one

pudge
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Woke up this morning in Seattle to hear a guy from The Score (I think Mike Mulligan - who the heck is he?) represent all of Chicago by saying the town feels we luckily got away with a win last night, but we'll gladly take it because of our 184 years of combined futility.

Let me just say how much I despise these sports radio morons going on air across the country and representing the city with their stupid view points.

How about Mark Buehrle? Joe Crede? Escobar hanging an 0-2 curveball?

No, instead, we're "grateful" and "lucky" for a bad call from the ump.

:angry:

dickallen15
10-13-2005, 01:07 PM
The Sox definitely caught a break, but to say they would have lost the game if not for that break would be silly. What does Mike Mulligan know about baseball anyway.

eriqjaffe
10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Mike Mulligan should stick to what he knows best!

http://www.forbesbookclub.com/bookimages/ingram/039/525/0395259398.gif

kevingrt
10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
The Sox definitely caught a break, but to say they would have lost the game if not for that break would be silly. What does Mike Mulligan know about baseball anyway.

Didn't Mike Mulligan cover the Bears for the Trib? Does he even know who the Sox are? Oh wait a former Cubune employee... my best Santo impression, "OH NO!!!"

Chicken Dinner
10-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't understand why everyone gets "mad" and "angry" over what sports writers, broadcasters, and TV analysts say. WHO THE **** CARES! Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone on this board says they hate the Cubune but there's links all over that go to their website! Just relax and root for the Sox.

:kukoo:

kevingrt
10-13-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't understand why everyone gets "mad" and "angry" over what sports writers, broadcasters, and TV analysts say. WHO THE **** CARES! Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone on this board says they hate the Cubune but there's links all over that go to their website! Just relax and root for the Sox.

It's the fact that Mully says all of chicago. The fact that he puts us into his own opinion gets us mad. I don't care what he thinks, but I don't think what he thinks.

voodoochile
10-13-2005, 01:29 PM

I've got that story in a collection of children's storys called the big story book. Thanks for the memory...

jdm2662
10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Didn't Mike Mulligan cover the Bears for the Trib? Does he even know who the Sox are? Oh wait a former Cubune employee... my best Santo impression, "OH NO!!!"

Mulligan is a football guy, but he also grew up in the south burbs and is a Sox fan. He still covers football for the Sun-Times. I see no reason to jump down his throat for his opinion. The Sox caught a break, they took advantage of it, and won. He's about the only guy left on the Score I can actually listen to.

XplodingScorbord
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
AJ spoke for the city (and more importantly, the team-who cares what "the city" thinks?) when he said "Do we feel lucky? No. Did they feel lucky when they won last night?"

pudge
10-13-2005, 01:56 PM

It's when they verbally represent the city or the fans. IMO nobody should ever claim that. If he had stated it as his opinion, fine. But I hear it all the time, when these guys go on the air in different cities, they say stuff like, "The fans feel this way," or "The city is reacting this way" and it's totally bogus. I guess most intelligent people can see through that kind of stuff, but think about how iritating it is when someone tries to speak on your behalf.

DSpivack
10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
We Don't Care What People Say.

Can't anybody remember that?

kevingrt
10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
We Don't Care What People Say.

Can't anybody remember that?

We care when we are inaccurately grouped with a bunch of other people? Saying all of chicago is different then all white sox fans.

StrTrkker
10-13-2005, 02:14 PM
We care when we are inaccurately grouped with a bunch of other people? Saying all of chicago is different then all white sox fans.

Yep...

All of Chicago isnt saying we got lucky or The Angels were robbed or we stole one. Theres different opinions on this play so for Mulligan to make a statement that "ALL" of Chicago...feels we luckily got away with a win last night is wrong and misleading.

Law11
10-13-2005, 02:22 PM

Thank you... I mean are there really people in Seattle righ now at thier desks saying man this is just crazy, how the Sox won last night.

Outside of LA and Chicago no one cares. It makes for a few minutes of something to talk over and then you move on..

I loved an interview I saw this morning.. Some nat'l reporter was in a bar
and asked a girl "people are saying the Sox stole the game" her response was classic... "What people? I think its the media creating the Stole the game attitude, If stealing the game means getting a runner to second then hitting him in to win the game then yes we stole it." I started clapping.

You tell em there toots!

pssondacubs
10-13-2005, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Law11]
and asked a girl "people are saying the Sox stole the game" her response was classic... "What people? I think its the media creating the Stole the game attitude, If stealing the game means getting a runner to second then hitting him in to win the game then yes we stole it." I started clapping.QUOTE]
I would love to have heard that. If only you had a name. She would be my new hero. Anyone who can put the media in there place like that at a drop of the hat is tops in my book.

pssondacubs
10-13-2005, 02:40 PM
and asked a girl "people are saying the Sox stole the game" her response was classic... "What people? I think its the media creating the Stole the game attitude, If stealing the game means getting a runner to second then hitting him in to win the game then yes we stole it." I started clapping.

I would love to have heard that. If only you had her name. She would be my new hero. Anyone who can put the media in there place like that at a drop of the hat is tops in my book.

SOXSINCE'70
10-13-2005, 02:58 PM
He's about the only guy left on the Score I can actually listen to.

Unless it's Laurence Holmes,I won't listen.
They make me too angry.Why bother??
And if North gets to do color next year,
it will make Hawk and Mr."UH-OH!" that much
more tolerable.Farmio doing PBP for 9 innings??
*****!!:angry: :angry:

Law11
10-13-2005, 03:04 PM
I would love to have heard that. If only you had her name. She would be my new hero. Anyone who can put the media in there place like that at a drop of the hat is tops in my book.

I was walking out the door this morning when I heard it. I dont even know what channel my wife had on.

I was literally out the door as she ended her quote. Wlaked out the house clapping in my driveway goin you tell em toots!

Then got in the car only to hear all the radio stations talking about it.
Nothing bad against the Sox though just that at the very least the Sox gota break. To which I agree. But we made our own breaks the next 3 pitches.

Go get em Big Jon. Shake off the dust and get ahead in the count!

leetsox
10-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Get over it the games over with move on people

Angels :whiner:

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Thank you... I mean are there really people in Seattle righ now at thier desks saying man this is just crazy, how the Sox won last night.

Outside of LA and Chicago no one cares. It makes for a few minutes of something to talk over and then you move on..

You tell em there toots!

Awesome!

putherawaywet
10-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Any time a batter strikes out and ends up on first base - regardless of how he got there - it is safe to say that the batter was "lucky". Even so, it doesn't diminish the execution that occurs after said break.

credefan24
10-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Is it me, or is the way the Sox are being portrayed after this game complete crap? I mean, the spin in the national media is how the Sox "stole" the game, or just "gut lucky." Basically, the Sox are made out to be villians.
As another poster said in a different thread, if this was Derek Jeter or Johnny Damon, ESPN, FOX, EVERYONE would be applauding what a heads up play, great hustle, passion, etc. of that player to make his team win.
I get so angry at the way the Sox are beat down at every turn this season. I think this may be the spark they need to go into Anaheim, LA, OC, whatever, and kick the crap out of these guys. Neither team has been playing great ball, but the Sox have had the upper hand in pitching. The bullpen is fresh, I think Garland will have a good outing, and we will start hitting again.
The game is over, lets concentrate on taking these guys!

LETS GO SOX

PennStater98r
10-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Know what - this is what we want. When the media focuses on the wrong thing about the Sox, the Sox get a chip on their shoulders and play better baseball.

I believe this is allowing their talent to once again fly under the radar... What's wrong with that?

credefan24
10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Penn, nothing at all! I like it too.

Jurr
10-13-2005, 06:58 PM
As a Bills fan, with the Music City Miracle crap that went on in 1999/2000, I called my dad after that game and whined to him for 20 minutes about how bad a call that was.

Dad, in his wisdom, calmly said, "Jarrett, if the Bills had stayed put and covered that damn kick like they were supposed to, there wouldn't be an issue." That shut me up pretty quick.

Same here. Yes, we got a break. However, Crede still got a hanger with an 0-2 count. 2 outs. This wouldn't be an issue if the Angels took care of business. The world needs to get over it. It was a close call, but other things determined the outcome. It's almost as bad as Cubs fans blaming a fan for the outcome of the game. The media won't let it go, so I guess the Sox are just going to have to shove it up their asses.

Something else to think about:
Those Titans got to the Super Bowl because of a "questionable call"
The Patriots got to and won a Super Bowl because of a "questionable call" (tuck rule).
Hopefully, the Sox take advantage of their break and go the distance. We'll take it.

Frankfan4life
10-13-2005, 07:27 PM

Outside of LA and Chicago no one cares.I disagree. This is a nationally televised series with more at stake than just two teams playing a baseball game.

Mulligan was wrong to say he spoke for Chicago.

jabrch
10-13-2005, 07:58 PM
We got a break. Caught or not - I still don't really know. But the call could have just as easily gone the other way and been a bad break. It went our way and was a good break. So what? There will likely be lots of other calls that can go either way the rest of the series. I just hope we don't see a "makeup call" somewhere along the line when it was clearer that it should have been one way.

Tragg
10-13-2005, 09:01 PM
People act like that we would have lost, but for that call.
And let's not forget, a steal against paul, and a shot be crede were both necessary to win the game.

It's like the buckner thing - buckner was a bum for that error, but the game was TIED at the time; the Bosox had already blown the lead.

voodoochile
10-13-2005, 09:23 PM
People act like that we would have lost, but for that call.
And let's not forget, a steal against paul, and a shot be crede were both necessary to win the game.

It's like the buckner thing - buckner was a bum for that error, but the game was TIED at the time; the Bosox had already blown the lead.

Next thing you're going to tell us is Bartman's interference wouldn't have meant a damned thing if the flubbie SS fields the saubsequent DP grounder cleanly instead of letting it go through his legs (ala Tony G a week ago) and turning a bad moment into a complete meltdown...:rolleyes:

Tragg
10-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Next thing you're going to tell us is Bartman's interference wouldn't have meant a damned thing if the flubbie SS fields the saubsequent DP grounder cleanly instead of letting it go through his legs (ala Tony G a week ago) and turning a bad moment into a complete meltdown...:rolleyes:

That darn Tony G - let a 3 run homer go right under his mitt.
(I confess I never saw that cubs game - saw that play only on replay; I saw a fan catching a ball - I didn't see any interference, but maybe I'm biased).

voodoochile
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
That darn Tony G - let a 3 run homer go right under his mitt.
(I confess I never saw that cubs game - saw that play only on replay; I saw a fan catching a ball - I didn't see any interference, but maybe I'm biased).

Actaully he didn't catch it, it bounced off his hands into someone else's hands. Then it got blown up and fed to a bunch of idiots at very high prices...

Optipessimism
10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Actaully he didn't catch it, it bounced off his hands into someone else's hands. Then it got blown up and fed to a bunch of idiots at very high prices...

Yes, like those savages they are. Ya know, the more I think about it the more Cub fans look like cavemen with cellphones.

Hangar18
10-14-2005, 08:33 AM

HEH HEH HEHEHEHHEHHE This picture just made me pee my pants in the office here .........