PDA

View Full Version : ESPn reporting that Cubs want Knoblauch at 2B

CerberusWG
12-11-2001, 04:14 PM
For this one time, MAKE THEM BE RIGHT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Maybe he can plunk Mariotti in the stands this time?

Dec. 11: Knoblauch back at second base? It very well may happen if the Cubs decide to sign the throwing-challenged Knoblauch, according to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times. The Cubs are in search of a leadoff hitter to replace Eric Young, who is also a free agent, and believe Knoblauch, who played left field for the Yankees last season and batted a career-low .250 and also finished with a career-low .339 on-base percentage, could fill the role. If not second base, the Cubs are also reportedly interested in signing Knoblauch to possibly fill their holes in left or center field. The cash-strapped Royals are also interested in Knoblauch, but contrary to the Cubs they want Knoblauch to just play left field.

RedPinStripes
12-11-2001, 04:21 PM
That's going to be too funny to watch. It was entertainment watching Knoblock bean the fans.

:moron
"I hope he gets along with my Sammy."

irish rover
12-11-2001, 04:45 PM
actually the Cubune is reporting he will play either left or center, I thought the "great" corey was ready. Jeez they might as well sign canseco

http://www.chicagosports.com/cubs/content/story/0,1984,169781,00.html

Jerry_Manuel
12-11-2001, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
actually the Cubune is reporting he will play either left or center, I thought the "great" corey was ready. Jeez they might as well sign canseco

Baylor said he doesn't want to go back to sub .500 ball, he believes playing the kids will accomplish just that.

cheeses_h_rice
12-11-2001, 05:47 PM
They say he will replace EY as the leadoff man.

I thought EY was "all that and a bag of chips"?

In any case, I will find it highly amusing to see Knobby in a Flubs uni. They are really reaching with that signing...

czalgosz
12-11-2001, 05:53 PM
Young will probably be gone - he's a Free Agent, and reportedly the Cubs are uninterested in giving him what he wants.

But I love the thinking - The Cubs need to mortgage the future to pick up some creaky, overpriced veterans. That will make them winners, for sure.

:shammy

I need the support in my quest for 80 dingers next season!

irish rover
12-11-2001, 06:01 PM
what is really funny, I was reading another cub board and they had heard that the cubs just made a trade with the marlins, so with their little minds at work they thought they had gotten cliff floyd or preston wilson or beckett, hahahahahahah, sorry can't stop laughing, it ends up being jesus sanchez for a cub minor leaguer hahahahahahahahahah

Nellie_Fox
12-12-2001, 02:19 PM
Years ago, the Cubs had the double-play combination of Tinker to Evers to Chance. Picture Gonzalez to Knoblauch to the dugout.

Spiff
12-12-2001, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Years ago, the Cubs had the double-play combination of Tinker to Evers to Chance. Picture Gonzalez to Knoblauch to the dugout.

Haha maybe they can get Gheorge Muresean to play first base.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 02:42 PM
Picture Gonzalez to Knoblauch to the dugout.

LMAO!!! :smile:

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 02:48 PM
Years ago, the Cubs had the double-play combination of Tinker to Evers to Chance. Picture Gonzalez to Knoblauch to the dugout. I like that picture! :D:

Kilroy
12-12-2001, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Young will probably be gone - he's a Free Agent, and reportedly the Cubs are uninterested in giving him what he wants.

But I love the thinking - The Cubs need to mortgage the future to pick up some creaky, overpriced veterans. That will make them winners, for sure.

:shammy

I need the support in my quest for 80 dingers next season!

Young is gone, and the Cubs intend to play Delino DeShields at 2b. Also, losing Rondell White opens the door for Knoblauch.

They will continue to suck ass for years to come.

cheeses_h_rice
12-12-2001, 02:54 PM
I too am surprised at the "small market" thinking that seems to be going on inside the Tribune Tower.

Chuck Knoblauch and Delino DeShields vs. Rondell White and Eric Young? Sounds like a step down to me, even if White was perpetually injured.

You know, the Sox have been pretty quiet on the dealing front this offseason...but I'd MUCH rather have silence than some of the deals the Cubs have been making. Ouch!