PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Cubune and Cub-Times coverage of the dropped 3rd strike

maurice
10-13-2005, 11:31 AM
The Fox enhanced video replay showed that the ball hit the ground at the last second and bounced upwards into Paul's mitt. For this reason, even the most biased observer who saw this replay cannot deny that the ball hit the ground without also denying the Law of Gravity. At the very least, this replay makes it impossible to say that Paul definitely caught the ball. Nonetheless, coverage is split in Chicago's two leading papers.

Doug Padilla of the Sun-Times points out the obvious:
[T]elevision replays show Paul, a former member of the White Sox, trapped the ball near the ground with a backhand attempt.
Even media troll and famous anti-Sox / anti-JR writer Moronotti says:
the final replay on Fox hinted the ball took a different spin and that a speck of dirt may have shot up
Another traditionally anti-Sox author, Greg Couch, admits that he can't tell from the replay, even though he'd love to say that it was a clean catch. By contrast, Chris DeLuca takes leave of his senses as says:
Replays showed catcher Josh Paul cleanly caught strike three.

On page 1 of the news section of the Trib, anti-Sox media troll and editor Dan McGrath indicates that Paul caught the ball, and (not surprisingly) that appears to be the official Trib position.

As usual, we have to ignore the local media and search elsewhere for an evenhanded view. The best I've seen so far is this from SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/10/13/alcs.game2/index.html)'s Tom Verducci:

"I caught the ball so I thought the inning was over," Paul said. Stop right there. Paul's job for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is to catch. It is not his job to umpire. It is not his call. Maybe he did catch the ball. Maybe he didn't. Molina said a replay showed Paul caught the ball. Pierzynski said the replay showed the ball bounced. Umpire supervisor Rich Reiker watched it frame by frame with the picture blown up and concluded "there was definitely a change in direction there. At this point I would say at best it's inconclusive." I agree with Reiker. I saw a slight change of direction. I would say it bounced. Bottom line: in no way was it obvious that Paul caught the ball cleanly. And that means Paul had no business assuming it is a third strike. He has to tag the hitter, or at least wait for confirmation.

tebman
10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
The Fox enhanced video replay showed that the ball hit the ground at the last second and bounced upwards into Paul's mitt. For this reason, even the most biased observer who saw this replay cannot deny that the ball hit the ground without also denying the Law of Gravity. At the very least, this replay makes it impossible to say that Paul definitely caught the ball...
On page 1 of the news section of the Trib, anti-Sox media troll and editor Dan McGrath indicates that Paul caught the ball, and (not surprisingly) that appears to be the official Trib position.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
MEMO

To: Editorial, Sports, Metro

Subject: ALCS, Game 2

The flagrant mischaracterization of a third-strike catch in the ALCS game of 10/13 has come to the attention of the Chicago Tribune Board of Governors and Executive Review Council reporting to the Tribune Company Board of Directors. The unambiguous decision of the Leadership is that the third-strike pitch delivered to Mr. Pierzynski in the ninth inning was cleanly retrieved by the LAAOA catcher, Mr. Paul.

The Tribune, as has always been its hallmark, seeks to report the truth. The Leadership directs that all references to the pitch and subsequent play in question shall be referred to in the active voice, e.g., "There was no question that Paul caught the ball," so as to remove any doubt of the Leadership's certainty in this matter.

Questions on this policy may be directed to Mr. McGrath.

-30-

jackbrohamer
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Times are desperate, Cubune writers have to demonstrate where their true loyalties lie.

Goose
10-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Times are desperate, Cubune writers have to demonstrate where their true blue loyalties lie.

Fixed.

Wsoxmike59
10-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Phil Kadner of the Daily Southtown had perhaps the best take on the dropped 3rd strike play in his colum a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/kadner/x14-pkd1.htm

If Mighty Casey had only taken off for first base

Friday, October 14, 2005

Imagine an old man telling his grandson 50 years from now how it was.It was the ninth inning. Two outs. Score tied.

The White Sox batter swung mightily and whiffed.

"Strike three!" the umpire roared.

The crowd groaned. The batter, shoulders slumped, took a step across the plate toward the dugout.

And then a thought hit him. "I should run. Run to first base!"