PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if this was intentional or accidental, but ...

Moses_Scurry
10-13-2005, 08:38 AM
AJ could not have timed his sprint to first any better! If he runs one second earlier, Josh Paul still has the ball and throws him out. If he runs later, one of the angels may have been able to pick the ball up and throw him out.

Very heads up running!!

Fuller_Schettman
10-13-2005, 08:40 AM
I think it was totally intentional. You can see AJ glancing back, waiting until just the right moment. VERY crafty!!

Rocky Soprano
10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
It seemed like AJ was starting to head back to the dugout but realized the ump never said he was out.

AJ just took off as soon as he realized what was going on.

The_Floridian
10-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Guys, it was a heads up play by A.J., but it wasn't planned.

He was going back to the dugout because he thought Paul was going to reach up and tag him. When he realized Paul wasn't going to, he ran. It's no more complicated than that.

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 08:49 AM
I think the experience he had with a similar play in San Fran helped him out a lot. Ultimate timing, ultimate success.

cheeses_h_rice
10-13-2005, 08:57 AM
AJ summed up in emoticon: :wink:

tcl308
10-13-2005, 09:01 AM
I wish someone would ask AJ this question. I haven't heard yet if he's been asked whether it was intentional to wait for that perfect timing. It seems like I've seen AJ do this in the past more than any other player. Usually he is thrown out at first, but he's always heads up in situations like that. Even once he got to first base, he was looking to "sneak" over to second base.

I'm glad to finally be aboard WSI, long time reading first time poster.:D:

tdh11
10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
AJ is crafty the kinda guy you hate on other teams and love on the Sox

cheeses_h_rice
10-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Reporter: "AJ, did you step on Aaron Boone on purpose rounding third base?"

AJ: ":wink: No, I didn't. :wink:"

Fungo
10-13-2005, 09:08 AM
It seemed like AJ was starting to head back to the dugout but realized the ump never said he was out.

AJ just took off as soon as he realized what was going on.
That's exactly what I saw. Some of you are over-thinking this and giving AJ too much credit. Listening to Mike North on the radio, you'd thnk AJ has been waiting for the perfect opportunity to break out this secret play.

Konerkoholic
10-13-2005, 09:09 AM
How great is it that a meaningless Red Sox - Giants game last year played a part in a Sox playoff win this year? Thanks again Red Sox!

ode to veeck
10-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Reporter: "AJ, did you step on Aaron Boone on purpose rounding third base?"

AJ: ":wink: No, I didn't. :wink:"

LMAO!

Actually AJ did say afterwards that he did run because of a similar play that happened recently.

PaulDrake
10-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I wish someone would ask AJ this question. I haven't heard yet if he's been asked whether it was intentional to wait for that perfect timing. It seems like I've seen AJ do this in the past more than any other player. Usually he is thrown out at first, but he's always heads up in situations like that. Even once he got to first base, he was looking to "sneak" over to second base.

I'm glad to finally be aboard WSI, long time reading first time poster.:D: Let me be the first to welcome you. Have a long and pleasant stay. And Go Sox!

dropkick371
10-13-2005, 10:50 AM

I'm glad to finally be aboard WSI, long time reading first time poster.:D:That's just the thing. It wasn't intentional, he just had his wits about him, Josh Paul didn't, AJ took advantage of the situation by actually paying attention to the game and knowing the rules. No one made Josh Paul toss the ball away, and no one prevented him from tagging AJ. He was careless, and it just happened to allow the Sox to get a runner on base and eventually win it with a walk-off double (as opposed to winning it in extra innings with a walkoff whatever).

Madvora
10-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Here's a good picture of AJ watching Josh Paul from cbssportsline.com...

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img8958343.jpg

batmanZoSo
10-13-2005, 11:38 AM

Perfect photo. Probably a split second before he begins to jerk his body around and runs to first. He looks like he's just waiting for JP to throw that ball on the grass. You sly pooch, you...:cool:

It was a freak occurance. Those things are always delicately dependant on timing. But it all worked out and it's over. We win. But remember, like many infamous playoff occurances, it didn't decide the game on its own. Buckner still had game 7. Bartman still had a lead...and two more outs...and a game 7 to follow it. We still had to get a clutch stolen base and a big rip to the left field wall.

edit: I forgot to mention that I was in a bar watching this game and when I saw AJ "strike out," I shouted out an expletive and began heading to the door to watch extra innings at home. But then I heard the crowd get excited and turned around to see AJ standing on first. At that point I said to this chick, "That's the break we needed, we're gonna win it here." Oh yeah, I looked like a stud after that one. Thanks, Crede! :wink:

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 11:41 AM

Excuse my ignorance but what does it mean when the ump sticks his arm out to the side like that? He did it after he made the "strike" sign. Does it mean the play is still live?

buehrle4cy05
10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what does it mean when the ump sticks his arm out to the side like that? He did it after he made the "strike" sign. Does it mean the play is still live?

That was Doug Eddings' "no contact" signal. He did that whenever a player struck out swinging, followed by the out signal.

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 11:52 AM
That was Doug Edding's "no contact" signal. He did that whenever a player struck out swinging, followed by the out signal.

So earlier in the game, he would make a fist for strike three, a "no contact" signal and then make another fist for the third out?

skobabe8
10-13-2005, 11:55 AM
So earlier in the game, he would make a fist for strike three, a "no contact" signal and then make another fist for the third out?

No, Just 2 signals. First the "no contact" signal shown in the picture. Then the fist, which indicates "strike 3."

AJ still STRUCK OUT in the ninth, but this time the ball was alive, so the tag neede to be applied. If it was, then yes there would have been a third signal.

itsnotrequired
10-13-2005, 11:58 AM
No, Just 2 signals. First the "no contact" signal shown in the picture. Then the fist, which indicates "strike 3."

Ah, I thought he made the fist first and then the "no contact" sign.

Frater Perdurabo
10-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe Daver can admit that this might be a situation where A.J.'s, ahem, "limited" defensive abilities as a catcher may have benefitted him! Given A.J.'s tendency for dropped pitches and passed balls (and Contreras and Garcia tying for the league lead in wild pitches), perhaps he more than any other catcher is aware of the dropped third strike and making sure the ump calls "out."
:D:

daveeym
10-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Yeah AJ didn't plan anything. He actually started the whole thing by "twisting" out of the way because he was expecting Paul to tag him. That's how he ended up in the position in the picture. When he noticed the ump more or less watching the play and Paul not tagging him is when he turned and ran. AJ thought it was in the dirt from the get go. Paul not reacting is what made it appear that AJ was hesitating.

Madvora
10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
You know what, this is like one of those plays in a football game where the play stops and some guy just runs over and picks up a ball that's been laying on the ground for 10 minutes and thinks he can run with it. (That always seems to be RW McQuarters) Anyway, this is one time when they ball WAS actually still in play.

Domeshot17
10-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I dont think you CAN plan something that has this many variables in it. AJ was heads up enough to hustle.

And I am glad no one asked him if he ""planned"" this, because the only thing that could happen from this is the white sox are portrayed as dirty players and cheaters. We already will take the heat on this play if we keep winning, and everyone fails to notice (everyone being tv crews) this play did not cause the Angels to lose. Paul didnt even make a throw on Pablo, and Escobar through a cookie to Crede on 0-2.

shoota II
10-13-2005, 01:07 PM

This is what happens when you put Josh Paul on the playoff roster over Mark Johnson.

:jerry
What about versatility?