PDA

View Full Version : Hawk on WSCR

Viva Medias B's
10-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Hawk was just on Mike North's morning show. He and North basically believe that AJ sold the play to the umpires. Either North or a caller said that if the ball was trapped, dirt would have kicked up. However, wasn't the ground wet? Remember, the pitcher kept having to clean his spikes.

bigsoxfan420
10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Either way a real heads-up play by AJ. I hate it when batters just stand there and let the catcher tag them out, at least make them throw the ball. AJ did a great job, and even if he was acting. Go White Sox!

duke of dorwood
10-13-2005, 08:59 AM
AJ FORCED them to make a decision-and it proved correct-:bandance:

MsSoxVixen22
10-13-2005, 10:06 AM
When I was watching the game last nite, and they showed a replay of the ball close up, you could see dirt kick up and see the ball bounce alittle bit. I don't know maybe I'm the only who saw that.

DaveIsHere
10-13-2005, 10:09 AM
When I was watching the game last nite, and they showed a replay of the ball close up, you could see dirt kick up and see the ball bounce alittle bit. I don't know maybe I'm the only who saw that.

There was one replay that was zoomed in, that was played forward in slo-mo and then backwards, I thought clearly when they played it backwards you could see the ball hit the ground.

THE FUNNY THING IS: The Never Showed that Replay Again, and I thought it showed a clear bounce. It was almost like "ooopppssss it bounced off the ground, Dont Show that Replay AGAIN!!!!"

Fungo
10-13-2005, 10:13 AM
When I was watching the game last nite, and they showed a replay of the ball close up, you could see dirt kick up and see the ball bounce alittle bit. I don't know maybe I'm the only who saw that.I saw the same thing. The ball hits the ground and it clearly changes direction. With TIVO you can watch the replay's slow motion and also slow motion with the TIVO feature and basically go frame by frame. The call was good...I don't know how he called it in real time, but I blame Josh Paul for not tagging him on a borderline play. I only say borderline because in real time it is tough to tell.

oeo
10-13-2005, 10:31 AM
There was one replay that was zoomed in, that was played forward in slo-mo and then backwards, I thought clearly when they played it backwards you could see the ball hit the ground.

THE FUNNY THING IS: The Never Showed that Replay Again, and I thought it showed a clear bounce. It was almost like "ooopppssss it bounced off the ground, Dont Show that Replay AGAIN!!!!"

I think I know what you're talking about...wasn't it a side view? That was the only view that it looked like it did hit the ground. In the other views, it's way too hard to tell from the front...it could have knicked the ground and we can't see it from the front.

Sxy Mofo
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
So what's the over/under on hours until some web page has the photos posted?

ode to veeck
10-13-2005, 10:34 AM
The call was good...I don't know how he called it in real time,

Well, umps have to make this call 162 days a year, and given the replay, there could have been sound associated with the (clearly shown on replays) bounce

Jurr
10-13-2005, 10:38 AM
So what's the over/under on hours until some web page has the photos posted?
NO ****! It's like the damn Zapruder film. Come on!!!

I'm a Bills fan, and that music city miracle crap really chapped my ass, especially considering I was there (went to college in Nashville). I had to listen to that crap for months. Now, with a play that ends the game, I can see a bit of controversy and gnashing of teeth.

However...this game was still in the balance. Kudos to Joe Crede for taking two strikes to let Pablo over and then blasting the game winner. That's the real story.

asindc
10-13-2005, 10:40 AM
I hate it when batters just stand there and let the catcher tag them out, at least make them throw the ball. AJ did a great job, and even if he was acting. Go White Sox!

Amen to that! I've always wondered why guys, especially in crucial situations, don't force the ump and catcher to make the call or play. AJ was really heads-up on this one!

Sxy Mofo
10-13-2005, 11:03 AM
I was talking to someone, this is, in a minor way, going to change part of the game. Because it's such a big game and everyone is watching, you're going to see catchers tagging out the batter on every close call from now on.

You know, I've seen AJ tag out a lot of batters on strikeouts i didn't think he needed to. Now i know why.

MsSoxVixen22
10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
AJ I don't care what anybody else says ****ing rocks! He's a MAJOR "sparkplug" for this team. Hats off to Pablo on a great steal and Crede, man you look up "clutch" in the dictionary and there's Joe's picture! :tongue: Without Pablo and Joe we would've have won PERIOD

billnahorodny
10-13-2005, 11:42 AM
I noticed all season long that AJ always tags out the runner on any mildly questionable play. Now I guess we know why.

CHEESESOXER
10-13-2005, 11:50 AM
AJ I don't care what anybody else says ****ing rocks! He's a MAJOR "sparkplug" for this team. Hats off to Pablo on a great steal and Crede, man you look up "clutch" in the dictionary and there's Joe's picture! :tongue: Without Pablo and Joe we would've have won PERIOD

I agree, Vixie.
When AJ was with the deadgiants, "someone" said he was a disruptive influence.
I'll bet the one who started that was barry buttplug.

AJ seems to be one of the main guys who make the Sox go.

CHISOXFAN13
10-13-2005, 11:54 AM
I agree, Vixie.

Actually it was Brett Tomko. Tomko has proven to be a ****ing tool throughout his career.

34 Inch Stick
10-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Where is Hawk, by the way. Berman made mention that he is at home in Florida. I'm shocked he is not chomping at the bit to be with the team.

fquaye149
10-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree, Vixie.

Actually, Barry Buttplug, or Barry Bonds as he's known to most people above the age of twelve, liked AJ a lot. I remember AJ going on Rome saying that Bonds came to him while AJ was hitting in the 4-spot and struggling and said "don't worry man, there's a reason you're hitting in the four-spot."

So basically, you would lose that "barry buttplug" bet.

Shafe72
10-13-2005, 02:47 PM
even though this topic has been beated to the death (mostly by the media):

1) the umpires, during the post-game press conference, said that they watched instant replays in the FoxTV truck (technologically enhanced replays that the regular telecast probably couldn't accomodate) and said there was a clear CHANGE OF DIRECTION in the flight of the ball. The pitch was a downward travelling splitter that appeared to go upwards into Paul's glove. That makes the issue of dirst flying up (esp. given the wetness of the obvious wetness of the homeplate/first base area) a moot point. Got it, Woody Paige?

2) AJ was on the opposite end of a similar play last year in SF (6/24/04 vs. BOS), where the umpire made a similar "mechanic" after Bronson Arroyo failed to get down a bunt. AJ assumed the batter was called out, and failed to tag him or throw to first, while Arroyo ran to first after almost walking to the dugout steps (which baseball rules deem is the "point of no return.") That's what you call learning from a mistake. That particularly play was pretty rare, and you'd think others besides AJ (esp. managers who are former catchers) would've taken notice.

3) Umpires make calls, not players. Josh Paul's actions are similar to a batter walking towards first base, assuming that a close pitch is the fourth ball and that he has walked. It's tantamount to showing up an umpire, and no player should ever be surprised when they don't the call made that they took for granted.