PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think back to Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS?

BainesHOF
10-13-2005, 02:34 AM
I'm glad Buehrle won because he certainly deserved to. For the longest time I was having bad flashbacks of Britt Burns pitching brilliantly only to lose because we couldn't get him a run. I was also thinking how Joey Cora's waving gaffe was having the same effect as Dybzinski's baserunning blunder.

Thank goodness this game had a happier ending.

skobabe8
10-13-2005, 02:36 AM
I'm glad Buehrle won because he certainly deserved to. For the longest time I was having bad flashbacks of Britt Burns pitching brilliantly only to lose because we couldn't get him a run. I was also thinking how Joey Cora's waving gaffe was having the same effect as Dybzinski's baserunning blunder.

They (FOX) mentioned that during the game. I think it was trivia about the last time a pitcher threw more than 9 innings in a post season game.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-13-2005, 02:37 AM

I said it at the eight and everyone agreed. We even had the "Dyber" base running gaffes.

I was at both games - glad this one turned out different.

hose
10-13-2005, 06:01 AM
I thought the same thing.

tlebar318
10-13-2005, 08:21 AM
What ever happened to Britt? He was one of my favorites before he got hurt...and yes I was definitely thinking about how bad baserunning could get us just like in '83....Thank God for a win! Go Sox!:bandance:

mike squires
10-13-2005, 08:26 AM
I've thought of Britt the last two games due to the awesome performences by Contreras and Mark. Not sure what happened to Britt. I know he has a daughter and was back for the 83 reunion a few years ago.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-13-2005, 08:45 AM
The knucklehead Fox announcers mentioned Britt Burns' 1983 performance, but that's too obvious. Apparently Lou Piniella doesn't have a very good memory, because he ought to have vivid memories of JOSH PAUL ****ing up in a key playoff game. It was Piniella who took advantage!
:o:

I was at Game 1 of the 2000 ALDS when Jerry Manuel let Josh Paul come in to catch the tenth inning. M's manager Piniella noticed Paul was cheating on his stance for a pitch out behind the plate and tipped off baserunner Mike Cameron, who then promptly stole second off Paul. Foulke gives up the game-winning home run to the next hitter. It was the famous "Piniella First Base Con-Fab" game.

And just to prove what a dope Jerry Manuel was, he kept Paul around to make all those baserunning gaffes in Seattle the next season, too.

I knew the Sox were golden the moment Sciosia brought in Paul. How could we not be?
:cool:

:versatile
"Who can forget Jerry letting me play left field in Minnesota, too? I was sooooo versatile!"

phanreign
10-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Thank goodness Tito Landrum doesn't play for the Angels :D:

John
phanreign@aol.com
http://www.phantomreign.net

firejauron
10-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Man, my stomach was in knots when he mentioned Buerhle going out for the tenth and the fact that Britt was the last pitcher to do that. I too was thinking of all the baserunning mistakes we made and of Dybber!

TommyJohn
10-13-2005, 09:03 AM
And so, for the second time this postseason, a member of the 2000 White Sox
has committed a blunder that the White Sox were able to use to their
advantage. First Tony Graffanino, now Josh Paul. Any more 2000 White Sox
on the Angels?

jdm2662
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
They (FOX) mentioned that during the game. I think it was trivia about the last time a pitcher threw more than 9 innings in a post season game.

Maybe Burns was the last do it in LCS game. Jack Morris pitched ten iunnings in game 7 of the '91 series. Had the Twins not scored in the bottom half, he probably would've came back out. He refused to come out of the game.

tebman
10-13-2005, 10:24 AM
I was at that '83 game too (standing-room tickets on the scoreboard ramp). When there were two outs in the ninth last night and it appeared that Buehrle would pitch the 10th, Britt Burns was the first person to come to mind. I had desperate visions of Tito Landrum being in attendance and waving to the camera.

I like happy endings. Don't you? :wink:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-13-2005, 10:45 AM
And so, for the second time this postseason, a member of the 2000 White Sox
has committed a blunder that the White Sox were able to use to their
advantage. First Tony Graffanino, now Josh Paul. Any more 2000 White Sox
on the Angels?

We have former White Sox Cal Eldred ready to complete the hat trick next series.

Madvora
10-13-2005, 10:52 AM
OK, can someone please give me the details on the Dybzinski play? I know that he overran second base or something like that, but I don't know all the details.

Can someone help me out. I was only 6 at the time.

champagne030
10-13-2005, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=phanreign]Thank goodness Tito Landrum doesn't play for the Angels :D:

And that Mark isn't going to be left in to give up a homer on pitch number 150.

batmanZoSo
10-13-2005, 11:13 AM
The knucklehead Fox announcers mentioned Britt Burns' 1983 performance, but that's too obvious. Apparently Lou Piniella doesn't have a very good memory, because he ought to have vivid memories of JOSH PAUL ****ing up in a key playoff game. It was Piniella who took advantage!
:o:

I was at Game 1 of the 2000 ALDS when Jerry Manuel let Josh Paul come in to catch the tenth inning. M's manager Piniella noticed Paul was cheating on his stance for a pitch out behind the plate and tipped off baserunner Mike Cameron, who then promptly stole second off Paul. Foulke gives up the game-winning home run to the next hitter. It was the famous "Piniella First Base Con-Fab" game.

And just to prove what a dope Jerry Manuel was, he kept Paul around to make all those baserunning gaffes in Seattle the next season, too.

I knew the Sox were golden the moment Sciosia brought in Paul. How could we not be?
:cool:

:versatile
"Who can forget Jerry letting me play left field in Minnesota, too? I was sooooo versatile!"

Yeah, Paul's a douche. Glad to not have him around anymore. And I got a kick out of his restrained fury regarding the AJ call while talking to reporters. You lose, get over it.

johnr1note
10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
I've thought of Britt the last two games due to the awesome performences by Contreras and Mark. Not sure what happened to Britt. I know he has a daughter and was back for the 83 reunion a few years ago.

I wasn't able to find much on Britt's current whereabouts, but as recently as 1997, he was a minor league pitching coach.

John

Etownsox13
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I was at that '83 game too (standing-room tickets on the scoreboard ramp). When there were two outs in the ninth last night and it appeared that Buehrle would pitch the 10th, Britt Burns was the first person to come to mind. I had desperate visions of Tito Landrum being in attendance and waving to the camera.

I like happy endings. Don't you? :wink:

No, I talked to Ozzie Jr. today and he told me that Mark was not going to come out for the 10th. Jenks was coming in if it was still tied, he was done warming in the pen, and was watching the 9th and stretching.

soxfanreggie
10-13-2005, 03:46 PM
I think MB would have come out and pitched a solid 10th...if he could have thrown under 10 pitches and come out for an 11th...I think MB would have done it, but it wouldn't be a smart idea. He is one of the few pitchers I would think about leaving in for the 10th and not have it be dangerous for...the 11th...a stretch but never say anything's impossible.

Dick Allen
10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
I was at the '83 game (sat ten feet from where Landrum's HR landed:angry: ) and at last night's game. In both games, I had the same nasty feeling that if the games had gone on all night, the Sox still wouldn't have scored another run. Thank you, AJ and Joe.