PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Caption, Stupider ESPN

Unregistered
10-13-2005, 01:03 AM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/CXS13610130351.jpg
Chicago White Sox fans yell at Los Angeles Angels pitcher Scot Shields as he heads to the dugout after the White Sox defeated the Angels, 2-1 with Shields the losing pitcher in the ninth inning of Game 2 of the American League Championship Series at U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2005. (AP Photo/Seth Perlman)

In truth, I don't know if this is AP or ESPN, but they couldn't have taken 12 seconds to as least find out (a) who the losing pitcher was and (b) that they're not even LOOKING at Shields, but yelling at what's going on on the field? :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/photo?photoId=894713&team=chw

LuvSox
10-13-2005, 01:05 AM
In truth, I don't know if this is AP or ESPN, but they couldn't have taken 12 seconds to as least find out (a) who the losing pitcher was and (b) that they're not even LOOKING at Shields, but yelling at what's going on on the field? :rolleyes:

The writer apparently has no depth perception. :D:

mjmcend
10-13-2005, 02:35 AM
It's the AP's screwup. But ESPN is still stupid.

Jerko
10-13-2005, 09:12 AM
I guess Shields doesn't use a glove when he pitches either.

Cat Thief
10-13-2005, 09:22 AM
When is the last time those two guys were at a game at US Cellular? The older guy looks like he is ready for bed. The young guys hat appears to be purchsed before the game.

Maybe its just me.

Cutter
10-13-2005, 10:40 AM
The Cubune probably would've called it a missed punch to the head.

Norberto7
10-13-2005, 10:42 AM

:D:

Clembasbal
10-13-2005, 02:31 PM
When is the last time those two guys were at a game at US Cellular? The older guy looks like he is ready for bed. The young guys hat appears to be purchsed before the game.

Maybe its just me.

The old man has a 2005 Sox shirt on too (not that a lot of people haven't bought them anyway, but he just bought it because he put it over his dress shirt. I agree with you.

And with the fact that people (AP and ESPN) need to do research before they make stupid mistakes. They are not yelling at a person, but yelling in celebration!

SOXSINCE'70
10-13-2005, 02:36 PM
The losing pitcher was Kelvim Escobar.:D: :D:
Your thread title is correct in both senses.

SOMEONE AT THE 4 LETTER NETWORK SHOULD PAY
ATTENTION TO SMALL THINGS KNOWN AS "DETAILS".:angry:

batmanZoSo
10-13-2005, 03:30 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/photo?photoId=894713&team=chw

In the fast paced 21st century, there's no time to check facts. AP just goes by body language to determine winners and losers. In this case, Shields' dejected, slumped-shoulder expression indicates that something is awry, so he is declared the LOSER.

Duh.

:wink:

Huisj
10-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I posted this somewhere else, but then found this thread where it makes more sense to be at:

Look at what Fox Sports had for a caption of the same picture. Look at those rabid sox fans taunting and heckling Scot Shields. Or wait, no, they're just cheering because the Sox just won, that's it . . . but that's not what Fox will tell people.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/pgStory?contentId=4988026&pageNumber=12

The one guy in the picture who is yelling isn't even looking in Shields' direction, and the other guy isn't doing anything except standing up without an expression on his face. I guess that's what Fox calls yelling at a player. :rolleyes:

VenturaSoxFan23
10-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Maybe that one guy is telling Shields he has a wedgie so Scott took it upon himself to correct the problem.:D:

Hangar18
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Who says the Media isnt biased?

CaptainBallz
10-14-2005, 11:34 AM

Maybe its just me.

For the record, can we NOT judge fans by the condition their Sox gear is in. I recently bought a new Sox hat because my old one was, well, old and crappy. It kinda irks me to think that there's some bozo at the game or what-not that will take the time to think I'm some band-wagoneer or a "Chicago fan" because I decided to not wear a mangled hat with duck tape holding the snaps together.

I'm just sayin'.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-14-2005, 11:59 AM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/CXS13610130351.jpg

True, but they also would have taken this opportunity to rehash the William Ligue incident, too.

:cool:

And then George Knue would come to WSI and tell us it's a legitimate angle to the story.

:roflmao:

Soxzilla
10-14-2005, 04:16 PM
You are right, how stupid of the AP, I mean, the real caption should read like this!

As Angels relief pitcher Scot Shields heads to the dugout for hemmoroid cream for his itchy anus, an unidentified, but obviously intoxicated White Sox fan attempts to throw a jab at the face of Shields. However, the jab mysteriously misses, and so will the Sox. Miss the World Series, that is. I suck at my job, go to hell. F the White Sox.

Now who is unbiased?